Tropic Thunder

→ in
Tools    

You're a Genius all the time
Downey was chuckle-inducing in Tropic Thunder, but an Oscar nomination would be a stretch. I actually think RDJ deserves a nom for his work in Iron Man, but that's definitely not gonna happen. If Johnny Depp can get one for Pirates of the Caribbean, though, why can't Downey get a nod for turning in the funniest, most pitch-perfect performance of the year that everybody stopped talking about for some reason?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Well, Swedish, that's often the way the Oscars work. Downey gets it for Tropic Thuder in Supporting, and that also acknowledges his turn in Iron Man, which, as you say, he has no chance of getting, except for maybe my wife's personal Award for most Sexily-Improved "Performance".

See now, that make perfect sense. I like when mark explains things so I can understand them. I may go and watch it after all.

Should I?

You're a Genius all the time
I'm not Mark, so this might not make absolutely perfect sense, but I'd say Tropic Thunder is worth seeing. I know you're inexplicably tough to please when it comes to comedies (why?), though, so maybe you should check out the slightly funnier Sarah Marshall or the much funnier Pineapple Express first. Not sure if you've seen either of those, but they're both better than TT.

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
The movie as a whole was just so so, but the scenes that were funny were really funny. Satan's Alley is one of the best things I've ever seen. Ever. And Ben Stiller wearing a panda skin. And Ben Stiller being stabbed by a child. And RDJ as a black man. And...yea. It's worth watching.

I'm not Mark, so this might not make absolutely perfect sense, but I'd say Tropic Thunder is worth seeing. I know you're inexplicably tough to please when it comes to comedies (why?), though, so maybe you should check out the slightly funnier Sarah Marshall or the much funnier Pineapple Express first. Not sure if you've seen either of those, but they're both better than TT.
I'm hard to please when it comes to comedies because I'm an ass hat. Or a total snob. Probably both.

I loved Sarah Marshall and Pineapple Express and I'm going to go ahead and watch Tropic Thunder here in the next few days.

Tropic Thunder is a worthy execution of an awesome idea (or maybe a couple). It has much humor that I deem too weak and ordinary to laugh at (what mainstream comedy doesn't?) but for the most part it's funny and it had some of the best laughs I've had at any movie in there. Simple Jack!

Keep in mind my sense of movie-humor is probably not very respectable by MoFo standards tho: I liked the first 2 Scary Movies way, way better than Airplane! and anything Mel Brookes has touched. Ever!

This review is from a while back for me..... Hopefully you like it......

Ben Stiller’s fifth directorial role and he has a winner. This is in my opinion his best work since directing Reality Bites back in 1994. My hopes for Tropic Thunder were high as was the hype when the movie was released. After I finished watching I could not be happier with all of the surprises I received from it. The casting had been top notch. While Ben Stiller, Jack Black held their own, actors Robert Downy Jr. and Tom Cruise were stealing the show along with a notable performance by Mathew McConaughey. Then there were the less known actors, Brandon Jackson who played Alpa Chino and Jay Baruchel who played Kevin Sandusky each were great in their roles.

Movie Summary:
Stiller plays a struggling actor (Tugg Speedman) whose last movie series role as Scorcher started out great, then upon the latest installment Scorcher VI Global Meltdown was a complete bust (as was the previous five installments). The role Speedman plays is John "Four Leaf" Taybac, whose story is one of military heroism and honor. While filming the movie Speedman is taken captive by the heroin-producing gang called the Flaming Dragon. Once he is captive, they recognize him and make Speedman perform the only VHS movie they own called Simple Jack, over and over again. While the performances of Simple Jack are going on, the Flaming Dragon gang has contacted Speedmans people to ask for a ransom. This is where the antics of Tom Cruise playing Les Grossman the studio head, took over. Cruise was a surprise in this comedic role and did a very good job at it.

The supporting cast for Speedman in the Tropic Thunder movie was Kirk Lazarus played by Downey. In this role Lazarus is an Australian actor who is playing a black actor who undergoes a surgey to make him black for the role. Downey for me was the highlight of the cast. Another actor in the Tropic Thunder movie was Jeff "Fatty" Portnoy played by Jack Black. Portnoy was successful for his role in The Fatties part 1 and 2. Portnoy while trying to assist in the rescure of Speedman lets the others know of his heroin dependency. Another actor in the Tropic Thunder movie was Alpa Chino (pronounced Al Pachino) who is a rapper turned actor whose latest success were the drink called "Booty Sweat" and a candy bar called "Bust-A-Nut". Mathew McConaughey plays Speedman’s agent, whose name is Rick "Pecker" Peck. His name says it all about this character.

Overall I would recommend Tropic Thunder to all who are fans of the darker comedy genre.

I liked Tropic Thunder better than Airplane! Can I join the cool club?

I love the lines from Airplane!, but the movie itself I found to be rather boring and tedious.

Really unimpressed with this movie. Possibly laughed once in the whole thing. Ben Stiller still hasn't made me laugh in his entire acting career. There are more and more totally unfunny people breaking through to be staples of seemingly every American comedy now and I have no idea why they are there (for example, Bill Hader and the guy who played the special effects guy in this). Jack Black is getting worse by the film. Robert Downey Jr was impressive, just not, well, funny.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall blew too (yes it had a story, just a boring one), as did Pineapple Express. (Pineapple Express was the least bad because at least Seth Rogen has some comedic charm.)

I thought Cruise was so surprising that it made it funny. Very out of his element, I couldn't help but laugh.

BANNED
I don't like Mel Brooks, Airplane! or any of the Scary Movies so I guess I have no sense of movie-humor.

No, you don't

TT is one of the funniest movies of this past year. Stiller, Downey Jr are an amazing comedy team. Downey Jr did an amazing job. I just loved Tom Cruise in the film. This was like a comeback for Cruise. He literally made the picture. It was a comedic blast!!

This is not a review, but a warning.

WARNING!!!!!
This movie is the WORST

Please do not waste your hard earned money on this terribly terrible piece of terriblosity. In fact don't even watch it illegally.

Do not believe the Hollywood hype. I got one good early laugh, then I absolutely hated every other second of this film that I endured. I walked out two-thirds in.

Listen, this is just one man's opinion and I'm sure future posters will have things more substantive to add, but seriously......
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

You may think that this movie was pretty bad but honestly it was pretty damn funny!! For something this funny .. meaning not as serious of a movie.. to have a killer cast like this means something .. There are plenty of movies that are hilarious and underrated .. what else did you or didnt you like ?

BANNED
I laughed through this entire movie.
Robert Downey Jr. is a genius.
Jack Black was himself.
Ben stiller played a good idiot, which he does best.
But Robert Downey makes the film. Master actor.
“I’m a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.” – not just a line, a true statement!
Warning - Foul language and silly gore. Other than that, funny as hell.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

This is not a review, but a warning.

WARNING!!!!!
This movie is the WORST

Please do not waste your hard earned money on this terribly terrible piece of terriblosity. In fact don't even watch it illegally.

Do not believe the Hollywood hype. I got one good early laugh, then I absolutely hated every other second of this film that I endured. I walked out two-thirds in.

Listen, this is just one man's opinion and I'm sure future posters will have things more substantive to add, but seriously......
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
Why are we warned??? Its just your opinion. LOL

Do you wanna party? Its party time!
Utterly hilarious, and often very sharp and spot on in with its critique of Hollywood cliches and of the system as well. While the last act suffers from a letdown, the film overall is still highly entertaining. One of the best comedies I've seen all year.

As far as comedies go this is probably one of the better ones I've seen in the past few years but that isn't saying much. It seems that in the past five years if a movie isn't directed by Judd Apatow (40 Yr Old Virgin etc..) I'm just not going to get very many LoL moments out of it.