The MoFo Top 100 Film Noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

1 for 2 today. I watched and really enjoyed The Killers (and the '64 remake) but I ended up picking a movie with a very similar title. I won't say which one but most of you can guess. It had a very famous director. I'm hoping it'll make the countdown too.

Pickup on South Street is the next Samuel Fuller film I plan to watch.

48 of 80 seen so far. Still almost half of my list to be filled in with 20 picks to go.

The Killers was my 10. Absolutely fantastic Noir that I have watched a few times now.

Pickup is another popular one that I don’t “get”. Maybe next time.

I remember liking The Killers a lot. Killer (pun intended?) opening, great direction. However, it's been a while since I last saw it and I felt like I needed a refresher before putting it in my ballot. That's why I left it out.

I haven't seen Pickup on South Street.

SEEN: 22/80
MY BALLOT: 9/25

My ballot  

Those are some big jumps between these last bunch of films! 25 between Postman and The Killers, and now 27 between it and Pickup, which is the biggest so far. It's interesting that the biggest point gap in the Neo-noir countdown has been 10.

Also, The Killers is Robert Siodmak's third entry in the countdown. He had Phantom Lady at #69 and Criss Cross at #44.

And since I mentioned directors that had crossed over between both countdowns, Fuller is one. He just had Pickup on South Street at #21 here, while he also The Naked Kiss at #51 in the Neo-noir countdown.

Robert Rossen is one.
And yes, Rossen is another one that crossed over. He had Body and Soul (#94) and All the King's Men (#83) in the Film Noir countdown, and also The Hustler (#93) in the Neo-noir countdown.

Anyone else?

The Killers was #29 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1940s and Pickup on South Street #72 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1950s.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Pickup on South Street is one I want to see again, it was still a contender for my ballot.

The Killers was my #14.

2. Scarlet Street (#29)
3. Rififi (#42)
6. The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (#40)
7. Body and Soul (#94)
10. Key Largo (#26)
13. Detective Story (#57)
14. The Killers (#22)
15. Force of Evil (#85)
16 Ride the Pink Horse (#45)
19. Nightmare Alley (#33)
20. The Blue Dahlia (#74)
21. The Lady from Shanghai (#31)
22. Gilda (#27)
23. The Stranger (#38)
24. Drunken Angel (#70)
25. The Letter (#72)

Pickup on South Street was my #6. The Killers is excellent, but for whatever reason I didn't think of it.

My List:
6. Pickup on South Street (#21)
7. Stray Dog (#32)
11. Where the Sidewalk Ends (#66)
15. Elevator to the Gallows (#41)
18. Gilda (#27)
20. This Gun for Hire (#78)
21. The Postman Always Rings Twice (#23)
22. The Wrong Man (#39)
23. The Set-Up (#46)
24. Scarlet Street (#29)
25. Gun Crazy (#36)

The Killers is great stuff. It could've easily made my ballot, but not enough room. My #7 was Pickup on South Street.

Sorry this is such a long post but it's an awesome noir and I do love it!

Pickup on South Street (1953)
Samuel Fuller - Director & Writer

Samuel Fuller is one of the under sung directors from the 20th century. He was a war journalist and newspaper crime reporter who wrote pulp fiction crime novels... and he made some ballsy films for the time. His trademark was allowing the actors to be 'of the moment'. He didn't micromanage them or demand they read the script word for word, like so many other directors did. Instead he gave his actors a lot of leeway when shooting scenes, resulting in believably raw emotions and balanced nuances out of his leads. Fuller is also known for the way he shot action/fight sequences, he believed in shooting wide as possible versus the usual tight shots done by other directors.

What's special to me about Pickup On South Street is Samuel Fuller is an auteur film maker. He wrote it, cast it and directed it. It's full of human expressions and details that other directors don't always bother to show. It's those little real moments that drive the movie and develop character and world building.

Here's an example of 'method acting' from Jean Peters. She's not just giving a dramatic reading of her lines, she actually becomes her character. Watch this 1 minute clip (it's not a trailer, no spoilers). You can see and feel her emotions at work. I love the way she instantly responds in character when she is impromptu bumped in the face with the chop sticks. Indeed I love the whole usage of chop sticks in this scene. The actor who plays Lighting Louie (Vic Perry) is pretty great too.

Another thing I love about Pickup on South Street is the brutal realism of Richard Widmark's character. The scene where Widmark is hiding behind his waterfront shack door, trying to get the 'drop' on some bad guys. The door opens and he punches the person in the face....only it's not a bad guy, it's Jean Peters and she's knocked cold to the floor. What Widmark does next defines his character and the movie. In any other Hollywood film, a romantic music score would have played, he would have bent down and gently tried to wake her up...Not Widmark, he rolls Jean Peters over with his foot like a sack of potatoes and then revives her by poring cold beer in her face! Which is true to his characters form. That moment defines Widmark and the movie.

Then there's this brutal scene where Jean Peters is beat up and pushed around the room by her ex boyfriend played by Richard Kiley. I watched that scene several times. It's a long camera shot, which Fuller said he liked for fight scenes as it adds more believability....It was Jean Peters doing the entire scene herself! She must have ended up with some bad bruises after that!

Thelma Ritter's performance as Moe, the old lady informer with a heart of gold and a head for money, is amazing. The scene where a gunman enters her room demanding information that she won't give out is one of the great moments of film. The emotions she voices about growing old and weary of life, were chilling and quite sad to hear. Thelma was Oscar nominated for best supporting actress.

The bulk of the credit for this fine film goes to director/writer Samuel Fuller. He populates his movie with rich scenes and well thought out details that makes what we're watching so rewarding.

I've been meaning to see the Killers, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I really enjoyed Pickup on South Street. It defies many conventions, giving us an unlikely hero and an even less likely romance. I liked its quirkiness. The ending feels a bit rushed and confusing, but it's forgivable.

Sadly, I didn't see Pickup until well after I submitted my list. It would have ranked highly.

The Killers is pretty good, but it didn't make my ballot.

Pickup on South Street is also pretty good, but it didn't have a chance at cracking my top 25.

The Killing was #6 on my ballot. It probably would've been higher had I assembled my ballot a few years ago, but it's been some time since I watched it, so I decided to give the top 5 spots to films which I had a slightly better memory of. Regardless, I love the direction and ending, and I like how it gives the sense that their plan is so meticulous that all it takes is for one minor inconvenience to throw everything off. The narration is the weakest part of it, but part of me can forgive that to a degree since the studio forced Kubrick to include it in the film.
5) Night and the City
6) The Killing
8) White Heat
14) Gun Crazy
18) The Stranger
19) Odd Man Out
22) The Lost Weekend
24) Crossfire
I think you're getting The Killers and The Killing confused. I mentioned in my last post that I had picked a noir with a very similar title. It's an easy mistake to make.

I think you're getting The Killers and The Killing confused. I mentioned in my last post that I had picked a noir with a very similar title. It's an easy mistake to make.
Yeah, Thief pointed it out to me. Whoops.

The Killers is one of the very best noirs made, directed by Robert Siodmak, the most prolific of the noir directors. "The Swede" role made B. Lancaster a star, and probably Ava Gardner as well (she'd only been in a couple of minor roles prior). It's a toss-up whether she or Rita Hayworth in Gilda (made the same year) was the more sexier knockout. The picture was #10 on my list.

I've always admired, but never loved, Pickup on South Street. It's a great noir, but there were too many scenes in that silly ass waterfront shack of Skip McCoy's. The picture is as much a spy film as it is a noir. The acting was good by all, but it was the phenomenal work by veteran Thelma Ritter in an unforgettable performance that got her the Oscar that year. She continued on the following year with an outstanding part in Rear Window.

Stats: Pit Stop #8

After hitting our eighth pit stop (80), here's were we are now:

Yearly Breakdown
  • 1940 = 4
  • 1941 = 1
  • 1942 = 1
  • 1943 = 1
  • 1944 = 6
  • 1945 = 6
  • 1946 = 8
  • 1947 = 10
  • 1948 = 10
  • 1949 = 7
  • 1950 = 8
  • 1951 = 2
  • 1952 = 3
  • 1953 = 4
  • 1954 = 0
  • 1955 = 4
  • 1956 = 3
  • 1957 = 0
  • 1958 = 2
  • 1959 = 0

1946 had the best showing in this batch with 3 entries. But with one entry, 1948 comes back and ties with 1947. Still nothing from 1954, 1957, or 1959, though.

Repeating Directors
  • Alfred Hitchcock = 4
  • Jules Dassin = 4
  • Robert Siodmak = 3
  • Orson Welles = 3
  • Robert Wise = 3
  • Henry Hathaway = 3
  • Otto Preminger = 3
  • William Wyler = 3
  • Edward Dmytryk = 2
  • Raoul Walsh = 2
  • Akira Kurosawa = 2
  • Joseph H. Lewis = 2
  • Nicholas Ray = 2
  • Jules Dassin = 2
  • Fritz Lang = 2
  • John Cromwell = 2
  • Robert Rossen = 2

Edward Dmytryk and Raoul Walsh are the new entries to the group, but it is Jules Dassin who sines with his fourth entry to tie with Hitchcock at the top. Robert Siodmak also earned his third.

Yeah, Thief pointed it out to me. Whoops.
Well, here's to The Killing hopefully making it

Just now finished watching Pickup on South Street. I really liked it. Thelma Ritter was just so damn good in this. There was a bit of a lull there in the middle setting up Skip and Candy's dynamic but it's a minor point. All in all though I thought this was a great noir and maybe Samuel Fuller's most fully realized film (of the 6 I've seen).

Agee with @GulfportDoc and @WHITBISSELL! on Thelma Ritter. She's was so heartbreakingly fine in her role as Moe, especially the scene with the gunman. As great as Richard Widmark and Jean Peters were, everytime I hear this film's title, I immediately think of Ritter before the others. It's one of my favorite noirs and I can't wait to watch it again. It came in at #5 for me..

The Killers is a film I've know about since childhood, my Dad being a big fan of the movie. He was always telling me how this was Burt Lancaster's first film and how good he was in it. I watched it for the first time for the Countdown and now I agree with him. Lancaster, watching him, didn't seem like a first-timer at all, more like a seasoned film pro. I thought William Conrad was especially spooky as one of the gunmen who come for the 'Swede,' nothing like his later Cannon persona, which I mainly knew him in for decades. Edmond O'Brien was very good in a role that pretty much had him sharing equal leading man status in the film. And I just knew that Citzen was referring to Ava in his hints. She was a stunner here, and was also one of the very best femme fatales in any noir I've ever seen, especially what's revealed of her demeanor after O'Brien encounters her. And we have Sam Levene show up again, making what I think is his third appearance, with Brute Force and Crossfire being his others, and maybe one more making the Countdown.

And @Thief, love your Pit Stop pic. Nice choice for a stop.

And now this is my fourth two-fer in the Countdown! I'm getting nervous that my luck is now going to fizzle out shortly when we get into the Top 20. This Film Noir after all. Your luck never lasts in Film Noir.

#4 The Big Combo List Proper #52
#5 Pickup on South Street List Proper #23
#6 Kansas City Confidential List Proper #53
#12 The Postman Always Rings Twice List Proper #23
#13 Murder, My Sweet List Proper #28
#14 Kiss of Death List Proper #59
#15 He Walked By Night List Proper #88
#16 The Naked City List Proper #60
#17 The Killers List Proper #22
#18 Detour List Proper #24
#20 Gun Crazy List Proper #36
#22 This Gun For Hire List Proper #78
#23 The Narrow Margin List Proper #43
#25 Crossfire List Proper #51

I forgot the opening line.
I nearly made the Killers/Killing mistake myself.

#22 The Killers - I haven't seen this but I'm vaguely aware of it's existence.

#21 Pickup on South Street - I'd never seen much of the young Richard Widmark until I saw Pickup on South Street - his smiling, energetic, at times ghoulish but in the end winsome pick-pocket character was a really wild entity - and it was his energy which brought it to life. He's pretty smug, but the filmmakers have communist spies as the common hated enemy of the day in their sights. It's a testament to how good this film is that the 50s paranoia doesn't put me off - but the addition of Thelma Ritter as a fellow crook did this film a lot of good, and the story has intense desperation at it's core, making it exciting. Widmark's character has accidentally stolen valuable secrets and lives are on the line while this hustler tries to work things so that he comes out a big winner. An interesting film where crooks become unlikely heroes, allowing for the kind of redemption I haven't seen much in old films. I had a great time when I watched this, and it ended up at #17 on my ballot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seen : 22/80
I'd never even heard of : 47/80
Movies that had been on my radar, but I haven't seen yet : 11/80
Films from my list : 12

#21 - My #17 - Pickup on South Street (1953)
#24 - My #20 - Detour (1945)
#27 - My #14 - Gilda (1946)
#28 - My #11 - Murder, My Sweet (1944)
#31 - My #25 - The Lady From Shanghai (1947)
#33 - My #22 - Nightmare Alley (1947)
#36 - My #16 - Gun Crazy (1950)
#44 - My #19 - Criss Cross (1949)
#54 - My #12 - D.O.A. (1950)
#58 - My #23 - The Breaking Point (1950)
#61 - My #21 - Act of Violence (1949)
#67 - My #18 - The Hitch-Hiker (1953)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)