The Videogames Tab

Tools    

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I was rather happy to see a date for the new maps on Reach, 30th Nov. Its going to be 3 new maps (and they look great) and new achivements to the value of 250G. The price is 800MP.

FM'10, as usual. Completed another CL and La Liga double (5 now, last two back-to-back) and have just won another WCC (5 of those now,too.)

I know this means nothing to most of you, but hey, I thought I'd join in.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Got the Resident Evil 5 Gold Move Edition for a heartily cheap £15 brand new online. Move is great in theory but Sony really should have had a decent catalogue of titles available at launch. I've only really used it on a Heavy Rain re-play.

The annoying thing is that the downloadable Move patch won't work with the standard RE5, which I have. So it's now on eBay.

Starting price 99p, mint.

there's a frog in my snake oil

Hmm, finally starting to properly enjoy Undead Nightmare, but it took a while. After an initial shock at the first zombie confrontations the early sections were a bit of a trudge (having to save/collect ammo and that - altho lighting em on fire with your torch is fun )

It's probably a positive sign that I've only just noticed a trick they've missed (creaking doors!). In all other respects they've gone to town on making lots of little tonal shifts all work together, so it is pretty satisfying on the atmospherics front (the dancing shadows cast by your burning torch, the solid rolling mist accumulating in valleys in the distance and filtering the hopeful light of dawn, and suchlike )

That said, the core gameplay has still got some tedium issues. The limited fast-travel makes sense, but can be a pain, and there's a saminess to clearing out the zombie hordes at each location (altho now they've started getting a bit more challenging, and I've accumulated enough ammo to let rip in return, the ground-based scurrying graveyard missions and the like have proved quite fun ). Plus I've got me a burning warhorse of the apocalypse. Class

EDIT: It's a bit tight of me to criticise a game that ultimately only costs a tenner, but I've got a couple of other bugbears with it - aspects that show less thought/finesse than normal from Rockstar: The wayward run-of-the-mill undead horses that just randomly swerve; the lack of any innovation in the zombies, or threat from them when you're up high (a climbing one might have been an idea); the reliance on the clunky climbing mechanic etc. All of these things make it a bit more ham-fisted than the central game. Still, i guess some of that 'budget' feel is at least reflected in the tone

In the Beginning...
After an initial shock at the first zombie confrontations the early sections were a bit of a trudge (having to save/collect ammo and that
Agreed. Getting yourself established on the front end moves a little slowly, but I found that staying in the upper-right region for a while kept me out of trouble. The balance between zombie encounters and ammo/saving has been pretty reasonable.

Originally Posted by Golgot
In all other respects they've gone to town on making lots of little tonal shifts all work together, so it is pretty satisfying on the atmospherics front
Yep, all very good. The ambient music and creepy visuals really make you feel uneasy venturing away from safety, even though you're never in insurmountable danger. But despite the tone of Red Dead Redemption being fairly realistic (compared to Bully and the GTA series), Rockstar went with something of a campy and quirky feel for Undead Nightmare. There are plenty of goofy characters and genuinely funny gags (the folks in Blackwater vowing to start a new America is a good example), although I have seen a few things that run a little deeper. At one point, I saw a man out in the wilderness crying over a corpse. The corpse popped up suddenly, and the man shot it back down... and then shot himself. Very surreal.

That said, the core gameplay has still got some tedium issues. The limited fast-travel makes sense, but can be a pain, and there's a saminess to clearing out the zombie hordes at each location (altho now they've started getting a bit more challenging, and I've accumulated enough ammo to let rip in return, the ground-based scurrying graveyard missions and the like have proved quite fun ).
The fast-travel makes restoring order to re-attacked cities you previously cleared a little easier, so I'm glad for that. There is definitely a sameness to those encounters, but the cities with a greater number of zombie waves are a blast. And yup, graveyard missions are great.

Plus I've got me a burning warhorse of the apocalypse. Class
Argh! You dog! I had a War Horse broken, but it coincided with an attack on Armadillo. I was low on ammo, so I had to resort to running down zombies with the horse (which totally does catch them on fire, by the way!). Alas, that must damage the horse because he took a few zombie swings later and was killed. So yes, beware: your War Horse can be slain!

I'll find another one.

the lack of any innovation in the zombies, or threat from them when you're up high (a climbing one might have been an idea); the reliance on the clunky climbing mechanic etc.
I think the zombies work well and I'm pretty confident the special classes will be more numerous out west and into Mexico. I just wish there were more of them. You fight hordes in the towns and clusters everywhere else, but you never feel terribly overwhelmed. I do agree, though, that a climbing zombie would have been nice. It's too easy to turn every encounter into a turkey shoot.

Golgot, do you have any idea what happens to your original, quite healthy and non-zombified horse? Seemed like I had him, and then all of the sudden my whistle attracts an undead steed.

Also, with regard to the Sasquatch mission (don't read if you haven't done it yet):

WARNING: "Undead Nightmare" spoilers below
Is it possible to simply lasso each Sasquatch to get a more favorable conclusion? Or do you have to kill each one to learn the location of the next? Or did you even try? In hindsight, I wish I had because I noticed them fleeing instead of fighting. Just curious about whether that was even an option.

Agreed. Getting yourself established on the front end moves a little slowly, but I found that staying in the upper-right region for a while kept me out of trouble. The balance between zombie encounters and ammo/saving has been pretty reasonable.
Yeah, did that too. Think I was mainly being over-cautious for a while. I have pretty much given up looting and going to caches tho, as the side-missions/challenges etc seem to provide enough spare ammo, and are more fun to do

Originally Posted by Sleezy
I was low on ammo, so I had to resort to running down zombies with the horse (which totally does catch them on fire, by the way!). Alas, that must damage the horse because he took a few zombie swings later and was killed. So yes, beware: your War Horse can be slain!
Noooo! I've been using mine as a living torch constantly! I guess they must just be susceptible to hits and bites etc too.

Apparently there may be even more steeds around the place, according to one review I've read. I'm guessing that the surprisingly docile zombie-bull that you see about the place might be one...

I think the zombies work well and I'm pretty confident the special classes will be more numerous out west and into Mexico. I just wish there were more of them. You fight hordes in the towns and clusters everywhere else, but you never feel terribly overwhelmed. I do agree, though, that a climbing zombie would have been nice. It's too easy to turn every encounter into a turkey shoot.
The reviews I've read seem to suggest there's only the four classes. And in fact the latest sharpshooter challenge I'm on says something like 'Kill one of each of the four zombie types in one red eye'. So I'm guessing that's our lot - aside from the odd 'boss' one maybe?

Challenges are definitely keeping the rooftop turkey shoot more interesting at the mo - that and trying out the new weapons. Haven't had a chance to try the phosphorous add-on yet, but I'm wondering whether it'll work with gattling guns too

Golgot, do you have any idea what happens to your original, quite healthy and non-zombified horse? Seemed like I had him, and then all of the sudden my whistle attracts an undead steed.
With mine the swap happened when he got killed - from that point I've almost always summoned zombie-horses (altho the odd live one has turned up occasionally). I do wish they'd done a bit more with the 'swerve' effect - maybe giving it 3 legs or something?

(I was thinking that's one of the key things GTA has over RDR - that the 'navigating' is fun in its own right - keeping a horse on a narrow track doesn't compare to power-sliding through traffic )

WARNING: "Undead Nightmare" spoilers below
Is it possible to simply lasso each Sasquatch to get a more favorable conclusion? Or do you have to kill each one to learn the location of the next? Or did you even try? In hindsight, I wish I had because I noticed them fleeing instead of fighting. Just curious about whether that was even an option.
WARNING: "Undead" spoilers below
I didn't try, but unless they've got an alternate ending, I'm guessing you have to kill em. On a slightly brighter note I did see one later chilling out at a campsite. Well.... if staring perplexedly at a chained up zombie-wife counts as chilling )

In the Beginning...
Noooo! I've been using mine as a living torch constantly! I guess they must just be susceptible to hits and bites etc too.
Actually, come to think of it, he may have been charged by one of the rushing bruiser zombies. I couldn't really tell what happened. I was ejected as if being pulled off the horse (same animation, just that wasn't what was happening), and then the beast fell over dead. I also couldn't loot it.

Apparently there may be even more steeds around the place, according to one review I've read. I'm guessing that the surprisingly docile zombie-bull that you see about the place might be one...
Yeah! I've seen the bull. Wasn't sure what to make of him, but I didn't stop. I've also noticed you see far more mountain lions, boars, and goats this time 'round. I haven't seen a single rabbit, skunk, armadillo, or any of the little guys.

The reviews I've read seem to suggest there's only the four classes. And in fact the latest sharpshooter challenge I'm on says something like 'Kill one of each of the four zombie types in one red eye'. So I'm guessing that's our lot - aside from the odd 'boss' one maybe?
Yeah, I just meant the four classes would appear in greater number further west and south. In the east, everything short of regular shufflers and the occasional bruiser or crawler is rare.

With mine the swap happened when he got killed
See, I must not have seen mine get killed. I rode him into Thieves Landing and parked him far enough away that I thought he'd survive, but after clearing the town I never saw him again. I just assumed the game forces you to have a zombie mount to get the full effect of the DLC. I was hoping there'd be some kind of cutscene wherein my horse would get nommed, then appear later as the zombie (still loyal!).

As for the erratic veering, I'm not bothered about it. I think it's a cool addition, but it's subtle enough that it never steps on your toes.

WARNING: "Undead" spoilers below
On a slightly brighter note I did see one later chilling out at a campsite. Well.... if staring perplexedly at a chained up zombie-wife counts as chilling )
WHOA! That's crazy!

I haven't seen a single rabbit, skunk, armadillo, or any of the little guys.
Ooo! Zombie rabbits! Millions of em! They so shoulda done that

I got Praire Of The Damned (or whatever you call that RDR expansion, ain't tried it yet) and New Vegas Xbox Stylee.

Extremely glad that I only rented the PS3 version because the 360 one is ten times smoother with a draw distance not far off the PC edition. Now I don't need to be hunched over a keyboard.

Crikey, the new Xbox dashboard is ... green. Well green. None more green.

Appreciably quicker to navigate though.

Picked up Fable III at the weekend and am about an hour in. Artistically, it's up there with the best I've seen this gen but I've not got far enough to confirm if the combat is as simplistic as reviews claim.

Stellar cast of voices though:

Bernard Hill
Simon Pegg
John Cleese
Sir Ben Kingsley
Lord Stephen Fry

Oh yeah, and Jonathan Frigging Ross...

Elite - Greatest game of them all, and probably about 50kb as a ROM these days.

Aaaanyway. Played a bit more Fable III and the shop system is getting on my nuts a bit. There's simplified and streamlined (Mass Effect 2, if I'm being charitable) and then there's plain dumbed down, as Fable III is.

I'm betting this is something to do with the upcoming Kinect patch. Waving your hands around like there's a bothersome fly in the room (and how would Kinect react IF a particularly bothersome fly was in the room when you were using it?) doesn't seem to sit well with a free(ish) roaming action RPG and at £150 I'm not remotely tempted.

A system of cells interlinked
Just a quick note for any interested parties:

My WOW guild is JUST about to start raiding ICC (better late than never). Now is the time to get in and join the fun! One last look at Wrath of the Lich King before all the new content lands next month.

PM if interested!

Zul'Jin server - Horde side

Xbox owners with rubbish controller d-pads?

Ok, I know that's 99% of them but here's a great little fix I've just tried.

You need some course and fine sandpaper, a phillips head screwdriver and a torx (can't remember the number but they're a couple of quid to buy online) head one for the newer controllers.

Link

It's a bit unclear in the pictures but the bit you're actually sanding down is the inside of the outer circle, not the circular hole where the d-pad core sits, so that the edges of the pad have more play.

Can't believe how much of an improvement it makes.

The only alternative I've tried is buying an XCM replacement case with the d-pad mod. What XCM do is make their d-pad sit slightly higher which gives the same result as the sandpaper mod.

Of course, you could buy the new Special Edition controller with it's brand new d-pad, which looks groovy but I'm reserving judgement until I try one.

Link