The Videogames Tab

Tools    

I don't usually care too much about purely promotional trailers, like live action ones, but this Fallout 4 one is pretty darn good:

Perfect song choice, and really cool to see all those things brought to life.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Wow, Broforce is out of Early Access. Hugely fun game when I bought it on EA release but needed a fair bit of fleshing out - Hopefully it's suitably fleshed now.

EDIT - And an actual gameplay trailer from a year ago.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Well guys, here is new series, we play Historical Grand Strategy game called Victoria II, developed by Paradox Interactive, check it out, I hope you enjoy it.

A system of cells interlinked
Oh man, last time I saw anything like that was in Neverwinter Nights.

I must give Archeage a try (downloading it now). Steam reviews are mixed but that's never usually an indication of anything other than how many idiots managed to work out which way up a keyboard should sit.
For the record, my friends and I play on the Hanure server on the North American set. We play East faction (the Asian flavored races). Plenty of EU folks over on the NA side, it seems. Not sure why! I think there is perhaps a bit more activity over here, maybe? Whisper SuChen if you end up with a character on our server.

I have a second character i run around with Lisa playing that is at a lower level, and i may try out the music skills with her, as well. Looks really fun!

there's a frog in my snake oil
Is Elite getting closer to a reco, come Season 2 in December? Yes, yes it is

^^Early WIP look at the new planetary landing stuff^^

*EDIT* Worth mentioning that there's going to be actual stuff to do down there - raiding bases (art), fighting skimmers (art), finding wrecks, leaping back into your ship for getaways and planetary firefights etc - and a variety of planet types not just grey moons, but good to see the buggies in low-G action at any rate

I'll be 'blogging' away obsessively about it on the Elite thread, and totally reporting back from the Beta when it kicks off

So is it true that Battlefront isn't going to have a campaign? If that's really the case...

So is it true that Battlefront isn't going to have a campaign? If that's really the case...
It sounds like it's going to have stand-alone offline missions that aren't strung into a campaign. Looks like they're going for an 'each scenario tells a story' sort of thing. Seems you can also co-op some variants with a friend, or play against them in other online variants (IE you and your army vs theirs etc).

On the plus side tho, it has this

For all of you who follow Total Biscuit or know who he is , I have some horrible and sad news...He has liver cancer, can't be operated on, most people live up to 2-3 years... Idk what more to say, I have been waking up and drinking coffee with his videos for very long time.

Awful news about TB. I've been thinking about him, his wife and son all day.

Even if he doesn't subjectively like a game you're always sure to get a well rounded critique because he has a knack for focusing on the mechanics - You'll generally end up knowing if it's for you or not.

Anyway, I finally managed to snag a Witcher combat screenie. Always been too slow on the draw (usually because I'm sitting back admiring the animation) until tonight.

They really are fantastic. Brutal but fantastic.

I heard TotalBiscuit was sick awhile back; is this something else, or is the latest just that it's inoperable? Either way, yeah, really sad. His videos were/are excellent.

He released a statement saying that the cancer was now in his liver and inoperable. Docs are giving him 2-3 years at most.

He's, what ... 31? Just awful.

I heard TotalBiscuit was sick awhile back; is this something else, or is the latest just that it's inoperable? Either way, yeah, really sad. His videos were/are excellent.
He had cancer before, but in a different place and they were able to operate on it and so on. But now it appeared in liver and they can't operate on it. As Tatty already said, 2-3 years. There are cases of people living longer.

Completed Hearts of Stone just now. It's a pretty good expansion - 15 hours of content for $10 which clocks my total Witcher 3 time at 126 hours. In terms of games I've played in the past decade I've only spent more time in Bethesda RPGs and probably Dragon Age Origins - A lot of that game was played from disc before I realised you could import your serial to Steam and Origin.

Witcher 3's a special game... although any similarities between these two Gerrys are entirely coincidental. I'm sure.

My stolen gametime has been all about online anarchy this weekend...

Managed to get some Wave & Adventure modes going with a mate in Magicka. Suchhhhh a ludicrous game . Between its ridiculous humour, and the inventive ways we set the world on fire (at one point, I did actually manage the classic of setting fire to my own head, rather than casting a healing spell), it was pretty much a constant blast. Just a really brilliant central conceit, which allows you so much freedom. There are some no-brainer moves, like wetting opponents & then cooling them to freeze them in place, but experimenting on the fly (or accidentally combining elements) is great fun too. I kinda love how on controller you're sweeping the stick about as if you're casting Street Fighter 'hadoukens' too

When the matchmaking aligns, Elite CQC is pretty fricking awesome. Balanced matches are 5-10 minutes of pure swooping bliss, as you get into a rhythm of skittering inches from metal death, evading pursuit, nabbing that high-risk power-up, and chosing your target with hawk-like care (as every attack run is exposing your own tail-feathers to a tazering).

I'm sure other games must exist with similar control schemes, but the solid jet fighting core is really brought to life by the option to go full 'zero G' here (and helped further by the tactical power-shifting between mobility, guns and shields). Essaying giant 'power slides' around asteroids, pointing your ship one way while careening another between the architecture... it all adds up to some regularly hair-raising events, in a properly pleasing way .

It's hyper-tense and that, and getting shredded in unbalanced matches isn't the greatest fun, but there's beauty to this beast as well... Admiring the moves of an opponent as you chase their contrails through improbable gaps, seeing those snaking tracks take on the local red giant's hue as you dash for the next outcrop, hooking that interstellar J-turn just right as space dust whizzes past your screen... When it's good, it's very good indeed

What, no horse? Forget it!

(Intrigued tho..., given The Last Guardian probably still won't hatch for years, let alone come to PC)