The Videogames Tab

Tools    

In the Beginning...
Yay, Sleezy. You're still with us! Married life must be agreeing with you.
Haha! Married life is agreeing with me for sure, but my job sure isn't. They gave me a promotion so I'm pretty much slammed with work all the time. :/ But I'm still around!

Steam has a 2 day trail for Football Manager 2015! I have to say I'm thinking of upgrading this year. Maybe.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Used, I haven't tried PES 2015, but the reviews definitely suggest a return to form finally. I'm definitely tempted. Main consistent points were the sense of team build up and skill being back, with the negative that menus and naming are still truly pants. All the reviews I read went out of their way to mention how they never felt matches were being 'fixed' a la FIFA tho

---

Gah, I really want to get back into Dying Light, but it still absolutely kills my sub-specs CPU. One day grappling hook, one day...

Yeah, I've read two or three reviews of the game all of which are generally favourable, other than the things you mention. It's just they're all for the PS4 version and I don't know how well (if at all) the new Fox engine has been implemented on the last gen. I really don't care about spiffy menu's considering the amount of input lag that plagues Fifa's, and I imagine team names like North East London (who I'll no doubt be using) can be changed in editor mode. I can even live with sub-par graphics - considering I finished, and thoroughly enjoyed the 360 port of Risen - so long as the action is solid.

I've decided to take the plunge and pick up a copy of PES 2015 today on either 360 or PS3 depending on what's in stock. Footy games are thin on the ground here in Canada and usually get snapped up quickly by the Italian and Hispanic gamers - especially PES.

Will report back with my findings in a few days.

The People's Republic of Clogher
D4's out on Steam!

Instabuy. Gotta support my Twitter followers.

What on earth am I looking at?
Episode one.

Just finished the prologue, myself.

Thoughts so far: D4's more polished but less bonkers than Deadly Premonition. It's still got the same charmingly naive way of looking at American culture and the move from Kinect to PC (playing with mouse, haven't tried gamepad because it's working so well) has turned the game into a very slick point-and-click.

It'll be short - I'll be surprised if it's more than 3 or 4 hours in total - but it's budget priced and I really hope Swery's got the funding in place for a second part. The PC seems much more suited to his off-kilter games than consoles, mainly because it's going to be easier to get them published there.

Microsoft treated D4 badly - releasing a Kinect game just before they announced the death of the peripheral as a core component of the Xbox and with no fanfare and next to no promotion.

If you like narrative driven games check it out, just be prepared for something very
Japanese.

2015's so much better than last year for games...

Bought Massive Chalice, or MASSIVE CHALICE as it says in my library. Hate it when games do that.

It's too late tonight for me to give it much of a run but I love what I've seen so far.

Pro-tip: Don't choose 4x AA. The game doesn't look graphically demanding so I cranked everything up to max then wondered why my GPU was beginning to sound like a jet taking off. Turned on my Afterburner display and saw it was constantly running at between 90 and 100%.

Turning the AA down to 2x reduced the usage to 50% and dropped the fan to normal levels. Game looked exactly (or EXACTLY, as Double Fine would no doubt write it) the same like this although turning the AA down further to FXAA (20% GPU usage) made things look a bit blurry, as is FXAA's wont.

My first married couple is producing children at an alarming rate...

Will form proper opinions tomorrow hopefully.

Yep, I'd seen that. You've got no excuse not to play it then, jrs.

Double Fine seems to like that method because I remember Stacking getting a PS+ slot on its day of release.

I wonder what the kickback is to developers with Games With Gold and PS+? Double Fine are media darlings but I doubt their games sell super well - The money they're getting up front from Microsoft plus increased exposure (read: Everyone buy Iron Brigade ) must count for a lot.

Still working my way through Witcher 3.

What. A. Game.

As things stand it's up there with Red Dead Redemption for the best open world game I've played. Every single quest, including trivial side missions, is a joy to play through.

The lighting's even better than Dragon Age Inquisition's, gameplay-wise it's not even close. They're both video games and that's about it.

EDIT - Oh yeah, the wireless adapter for the Xbone controller has been announced so if your 360 pad is up for a change (I've yet to own one that's lasted me more than a couple of years) then the new one is a decent trade-up. Apparently the revised controller has improved the bumpers, the only thing worse (and they're quite a bit worse) than what's on the 360 pad.

It might be Windows 10 only, however. 25 Colonial dollars, 75 with the controller.

What's everyone itching to see at E3?

Now that we 'have it on good authority' that The Last Guardian will finally be unfurling its wings (!), and Fallout 4 is knocking at the door, I'm going all out for Half Life 3

OK not really, but still pretty surprised by those two! Will be fairly outlandish if TLG actually does phoenix back into life.

Mainly I'm hoping to see some in-game footage from: Battlefront, Fallout 4, No Man's Sky and something beyond an Xbox-launch announcement from the Elite lot

All I'm interested in are the Giant Bomb dev interviews - done in a late night chat show style - and them being snarky over the top of pompous Sony and Microsoft press conferences.

This kinda thing:

Otherwise, I'm not really bothered...

What's everyone itching to see at E3?

Now that we 'have it on good authority' that The Last Guardian will finally be unfurling its wings (!), and Fallout 4 is knocking at the door, I'm going all out for Half Life 3

OK not really, but still pretty surprised by those two! Will be fairly outlandish if TLG actually does phoenix back into life.

Mainly I'm hoping to see some in-game footage from: Battlefront, Fallout 4, No Man's Sky and something beyond an Xbox-launch announcement from the Elite lot
Great choices, and yeah, I'd love to see pretty much all of them. With The Last Guardian I just turned off the part of my brain that actively looks forward to it, and if I'm pleasantly surprised, great.

But yeah, other than a more detailed look at Fallout 4 (and a confirmation that it's actually coming as soon as October, as rumored), I'd love to get an announcement on Dishonored 2.

Just bought Payday 2, is there anything I should know before jumping in?
It's bloody hard to stealth a level until you've randomly unlocked a silencer.

It's still worth stealthing at the start of 'loud' attacks though, if only to delay the cop waves / intensities.

Hostages slow cops down too - you get a bigger pause between waves as long as you have at least one, and you can also swap one for a captured team mate. Try moving a hostage somewhere you have oversight and you can take out the cops as they move in too. Keeps some of them tied up, as it were

Check how others are loading out when you join a group. If the host wants to go stealth or loud you'll usually be able to tell from their kit (suit / light armour and silenced / low profile weapons for stealth etc. Bulky armours and brazen weapons for loud etc)

Gah, I've succumbed to Steam already... And made my first blunder!

Bought this...

Having 'researched' this instead...

Didn't realise Call of Juarez had had a revamp in 2013. Thought the graphics looked ok!

Supposedly it looks a bit better running in DX10, but um, not that much better

Oops. I've got a spare key for the original Call of Juarez, too...

Must do a list of my dupe keys and post them on here. Won't print the keys themselves of course - bots farm those continually.

EDIT - My dupe and unwanted Steam keys, first to ask for one will get it!

Gish
Booster Trooper
Pid
Grimm
Infected
Anomaly Korea
Gun Metal
Call of Juarez
A Game of Dwarves
Incoming Forces
Xpand Rally Xtreme
Ballpoint Universe
Hyper Fighters
Gearcrack Arena
Shufflepunk Cantina Deluxe
Subject 9
Space Farmers 2 Pack (don't think this is Hip Hop related)
Terrorhedron
Kill Fun Yeah
Project Root
Continue?9876543210
Real World Racing
Vector
Vitrum
Bad Mojo Redux
Battlepaths
The Samaraton Paradox
Sword of Asumi

Gah, £1.79 doubly wasted

I... I have no idea what the rest of those games are!

Although Real World Racing looks interesting