Do NOT see 'Quarantine'

→ in
Tools    

i saw quarenteen the american version first...is it worth it to try rec?

A system of cells interlinked
Indeed - See [REC]

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
It's essentially the same film. With subtitles.

Suspect's Reviews

I did not think it was a bad movie, actually I thought it was really fun..

REC was great, i agree with first post, i did a post like this on some other sites

I just got done watching this movie and i would not recomend anyone else to watch it , its a first person movie and you can barely see anything

i wanna play a game......monopoly?!
OMG!!! I wish I would have read this thread sooner. I happen to be one of the unlucky ones to not even hear about [rec] until it came out in America after Quarantine. And seeing Quarantine when it came out in theatres I rented [rec] and was forced to watch the whole movie again except in spanish!! This being the case I am kind of angry with [rec] at the moment haha.

Angry at [REC]? But, why? After all, it IS the original film, and it is the superior film, IMO. I do like them both to some extent, but [REC] is the definitive version...

Well the reason is because I saw Quarantine first, and since they are both the EXACT same movie I thought "Wow this is a pretty good movie." Then I saw [rec] and thought "Wait this was the original, but it's in spanish?" I like Quarantine because I didn't have to read a book and watch a movie at the same time (subtitles). And I mean they are the SAME EXACT movie, why shouldn't I like the english version better. I am American after all.

First off, because they are not exactly the same; the end is quite different. You must have seen the vast differences when you watched both films...

WARNING: "[REC] and Quarantine" spoilers below
In the original, the intrepid duo of reporters gets to the top floor of the building to discover a wide array of occult objects dealing with satanism, and possession in particular. The viewers are then led to believe that the events of the film were supernatural in nature.

In Quarantine, the action is similar throughout the film, but the cause of the outbreak is shown to be a mutated form a rabies which had been created and released by a mysterious tenant in the buildings attic apartment. So the events of the film are medical/viral in nature.

I believe this to be an important distinction. Supernatural stuff in films is easy to swallow because you know it's fantasy, so suspension of disbelief becomes easy fun and there is no questioning when it comes to the films premise. Quarantine tried create a more realistic back story to go along with the Cinema Verite style of ultra-realism. The result was a back story that was supposed to be believable, but came across as awkward and silly...and completely unbelievable. Instead of setting up an unreal premise, and asking us to suspend our disbelief for the sake of the narrative, the remake tries to force feed clearly unbelievable material as real, and it doesn't work.

Moving on - the female lead in the original is cute, spunky & likable at the start of the film, gaining an immediate bond with the viewer, while the female lead in the remake is smarmy and annoying, repulsing many viewers at first. At the end of the original, I felt genuine dread for the people, as I had grown attached to the characters and their dilemma. In the remake, I cheered when home girl got clocked on the head at the end, thinking she might just shut up...alas no...she kept talking.

Now - saying all that... Quarantine does some things right. The scene with the little girl is much more unsettling in Quarantine, and I do think Quarantine was shot better, overall.

As for the original being in Spanish - I too am an American, but I insist on watching films in their original language, as the creators intended. Choosing not to watch films simply because they are subtitled is a great way to miss seeing some of the best films ever made, period.

The funny thing is that I actually like both flicks. I do think REC is much better, though.

For the record, I also saw Quarantine first, but not for lack of trying. Netflix just didn't have [REC] until relatively recently.

I do, to some extent, which is why the film has dropped in rating for me. Indeed, after you insisted I watch [REC] before I fully dove into the Quarantine end of the pool, I discovered you were right, as usual.

I still think they shot some of the scenes better in Quarantine though, and I liked the way that film was lit. [REC] is clearly the better entry, in my eyes, though. I know it's tough for some folks to accept that I like both, even though one is a rip-off job, but, I like them both!

Pro, you can level the same complain against The Ring, yes? I still feel The Ring improved on the original.

The comment was aimed at 'bitnipply' but what wound me up the most about Quarantine was it's immediacy and lack of respect to the original. I do concur that The Ring is a better crafted film than Ringu (though do prefer the general low budget of aesthetic of the first and having a real person, opposed to a TV image, emerge from the TV is infinitely scarier). When The Ring was released, the original had developed quite a cult following and many were at least aware it was a remake, unlike Quarantine where the marketing seemed to want to show it as an original.

You both have very great points, but I think this is just going to have to be one of those instances where we have to agree to disagree.

As for the original being in Spanish - I too am an American, but I insist on watching films in their original language, as the creators intended. Choosing not to watch films simply because they are subtitled is a great way to miss seeing some of the best films ever made, period.

This was a great point Sedai, I totally agree with you on this one. My greatest personal example of this for me was Pan's Labyrinth. This movie was also in Spanish and it took me a while to muster up the courage to rent because I knew I would have to read the whole movie, but then I watched it and thought it was a very good movie. It's just that with all the action and what not in [rec] and Quarintine I enjoyed just being able to watch Quarantine without having to look down at the bottom of the screen to see what the characters were talking about and possibly miss something.

but what wound me up the most about Quarantine was it's immediacy and lack of respect to the original.

This is another great point Pyro, and I agree with you totally. I hate ripoffs, but with this film I didn't even know about [rec] until I found it in a redbox about a year or so after I already saw Quarantine and I give all my respect to [rec] being the original. When it comes down to it though I think this was just a film I didn't want to read subtitles for. Thats all.

My boyfriend just loves zombie movies and tries to get me to see as many as I'll let him regardless of the fact I can't sleep for about a week after watching them.

One evening he rented [rec] and we watched, in Spanish with the subtitles. Now he's Asian and I'm Hispanic and Spanish was my first language, so no matter how much I closed my eyes I still completely understood everything that was going on in the movie, which is quite the opposite from my boyfriend who would close his eyes and not know what was going on, and yes I was completely scared to the point where I had him turn off the movie for a few moments.
The movie is a lot scarier when you can understand what's going on in the background, you know, understand what they're saying.

As for the American version, while it is different in certain points I wouldn't say that its any better or worse than the original. Its a decent horror movie.
I was still scared, but it was a little easier to handle because of the language. When people scream and are scared in English its pretty much the same few words over and over again. In Spanish, since its such a richer language there are a lot more descriptive words they can use to convey just what they are feeling which causes the tension to be greater and scarier.
But yeah, I'll give the way the American one was shot major precedence over the Spanish one.

As for the sequels...eh. Give me a chance to forget just how bad the movies scared me and I'll watch them, just to get scared again

Welcome to the human race...
"Are there any zombies out there?
"Don't say that!"
"What?"
"That...the "Z" word!"
"Alright...are there any out there, though?"