Movie Tab II

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
That's fine, but you have to realize that my ratings aren't for elitists or idiots, but they're for some middle ground of idealized filmwatchers who have no prejudices and are as objective as possible. There's no way for me to prove to you that I'm objective, but you can at least read what I said about the films. If you want to dis me for actually giving them ratings, that's fine with me. I've been trying to rationalize and "defend" my ratings for a longer time than you've been breathing. You might not see that as too significant, but my personal reality should always carry some form of significance, especially compared to someone's unknown assumptions about the unknown.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
Snatch 5/5 will be up on my top 10 very soon because i loved it so much and i love Vinnie Jones!

Friday the 13th
(Cunningham, 1980)
Those are fun. I always save the Friday the 13th movies for that date. I know those aren't actual holidays, but I still get a kick out of it. We were robbed this year, leap year, and we only had one, in June. That will be made up for in 2009, with three of them in February, March, and November.

The Thing (Carpenter, 1982)
We should all know by now the love I have for John Carpenter. Mr. Hands, watch that damn film already!

The Blair Witch Project (Myrick, 1999)
Damn! Holden told me I'd probably like this one, and that it was scary. I meant to watch it for the holiday, and forgot. I have it, so I suppose I'll try to watch it soon enough. I try to cram as many horror movies as I can in on the first week or two of November, before the cheery holidays get going.

I've watched a lot of movies this past week, and I will try to list them by tomorrow night. Some are from a huge Vincent Price pack that my sister gave me. It has many Edgar Allen Poe stories in it.

"I'll be back!"

Kenny

It's a movie about a guy who cleans port-a-potties, but like most good movies, it's actually about a lot more than that. Recommended.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Why, oh why, do I do I do this? These are my honest ratings over some "horror classics". These are certainly not meant as personal attacks in any way, shape or form. Go ahead and pile on. I wasn't sure how to post this, but I copied Sedai's ratings and then added my own thoughts. I hope it doesn't come across as some "mean old man".

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Hooper, 1974)

My rating:
- This is without a doubt one of the most boring, pathetic, inexcusable "excuses" for a "horror" film I've ever seen. Yep, it's a super-cheapo movie, yet now that turns out to be a good thing! It allegedly makes the entirely laughable piece of crap "more realistic". There is no acting, and basically nothing of interest whatsoever. However, I'll admit that there are about three minutes of primitive terror in the entire thing; barely enough to give it higher than
. That's fine, horror revisionism goes hand in hand with every other form of revisionism. There are very few "horror" films which are considered "classics" nowadays which I even find worth watching at all.

Friday the 13th (Cunningham, 1980)

I don't even want to talk about this film at all because everything I said above goes double for this one. Yet, somehow, I can still give this one
. It may be just because it's cheaponess never translated to some auteuristic brilliance. It still stinks, and the entire series stinks, but I guess it's as good as the "series" got right up front.

Hellraiser (Barker, 1987)

This film is at least ten times more realistic than the last two. It's not exactly my idea of a good time, but it's a masterpiece compared to the other films mentioned in the first four. My rating:

The Blair Witch Project (Myrick, 1999)

Myrick and Eduardo Sánchez's flick is one of the few "horror films" I can think of which is actually worse than TCM. I do give it
which seems incredibly generous for a film where nothing happens, and even if you think something does happen, it's so utterly pointless that I find it difficult that anyone with a brain or a soul would care. Remember, you have every right to care about these pathetic "non-people", but I also have every right to wonder why.

The Thing (Carpenter, 1982)

This is a totally legit horror/sci-fi film which excels on almost every level. It's a perfectly spooky mystery which plays out not only as a "macho adventure" but also as a textbook way to make a basically non-commercial film which will still pay off, even more than a quarter century later, to viewers who demand some true horror and intelligence, rather than slipshod crap which somehow eventually "rises" to some pathetic excuse of "true horror". Sorry about this, but horror is a genre I love, and its top lists are populated with garbage left and right, and people wonder why it still gets no respect? My rating: borderline between
and
Go ahead and let 'er rip. I'll undoubtedly come up with more "horror classics" I find wanting.

Registered Creature
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2nd viewing) -

I don't know if I actually have a soul, but I'm 100% sure that I have a mind because right now it's telling me that saying "nothing happens" in Blair Witch is a revisionist take on that movie, and I don't mean "revisionist" in the sense of dueling "versions" of the fax.

A system of cells interlinked
I graded all those flicks on a curve. My love for Friday the 13th stems from my being just the right age and sneaking in to watch it when it ran back then. I could never not like this totally terrible film. It's just too fun for me. It's ****, though, clearly.

Also, how is Hellraiser, a supernatural thriller, more realistic than Friday the 13th, which contains no supernatural elements at all (This is pre-Jason)? It isn't, by any stretch of the imagination.

I watch Blair Witch for the ghetto style, and creativity (yes, it's creative to me). The characters rather annoy me, you know, like real live smarmy college students.

*runs*

Some folks just consider all horror to be shite, but, I rather like digging through the trash sometimes...

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Monster Squad

Zabriskie Point(Michelangelo Antonioni 1970)-I was forced to watch it on a screening for one of my lectures.

Although I think it's worth watching (at least if you don't have to pay and are deeply interested in film), I'm pretty close to you with your rating on Zabriskie Point. I mean, it might be a wee bit high, but no biggie. I hope it didn't make you sick or anything like that.

I watch Blair Witch for the ghetto style, and creativity (yes, it's creative to me). The characters rather annoy me, you know, like real live smarmy college students.
I'm going to for sure watch this sometime this week/weekend.

Some folks just consider all horror to be shite, but, I rather like digging through the trash sometimes...
I could not freakin' live without my horror movies. It's a daily thing, too.

Registered Creature
Sounds Like -
. Just.

Oh gawd, the main guy looked like such a pedo.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I enjoy Blair Witch also, in fact I think it's quite an important little film. Y'know, from a viral marketing standpoint.

And stuff...

I am half agony, half hope.
Il Resto della Notte
The Rest of the Night

This is a film being shown at the AFI Festival, the sophmore effort of Italian director Francesco Munzi.

Maria is a Romanian immigrant in Italy, working as a maid for an upper middle-class family. When the lady of the house misses her pearl earrings, Maria gets the blame, and against the husband and daughters protests, then gets fired. Maria has no where to go, and so she heads back to the Romanian community she knows and gets reinvolved with Ionut, a man that robs homes to make his money. He lives with his little brother Viktor in an apartment with no running water in an immigrant slum.

Viktor isn't pleased to see Maria, because she hurt Ionut when she left the last time, and also because they have no room for her in the apartment, but Ionut's besotted and he takes her in with little hesitation. There is a third storyline involving an Italian man that has a hatred for immigrants, but works odd jobs with Ionut to support his drug habit. The rest of the film shows how these three families' lives eventually intersect. It's a gritty and messy portrayal of immigrant life in a new country. It's not pretty, it's like real life. I recommend it.

Johann von Goethe

RocknRolla -

This for me is the second best movie of 2008 so far for me. While watching it, I thought it really had a Smokin' Aces kinda feel to it, which I'm super glad about because I love Smokin' Aces and Smokin' Aces is one of my favorite movies, I think I liked this a little more than Smokin' Aces though. I think most ever actor in this were great, I didn't really think there was a main character in it, because almost every actor had about the same amount of screen time as everyone else. I really liked Gerard Butler and Tom Wilkinson the most out of the cast though, they stood out the most, but if I did have to decide who was the main character it would've been one of them. The story I absolutely loved, it was a gangster movie, so I knew I would've at least liked it some because of the fact that it was a gangster movie. I also loved the subtle humor they put in there, Gerard Butler got pretty funny at times. I actually find it weird I liked it so much, because for some reason movies that take place in another country seem to bore me a little (I have no idea why though). But anyway this is one I would defintely recomend seeing before it leaves it theaters, it's pure exciting from the opening credits all the way to the closing credits. I can see this making it pretty high on my favorites list.

You're a Genius all the time

The Foot Fist Way (Jody Hill, 2006)

This is the Napoleon Dynamite for people with a good taste in movies. It's uncompromisingly un-PC and it doesn't hesitate for a second to sacifice likable characters for hilarious ones, if that makes sense. It had some fairly long stretches of laughlessness, but it was funny enough, I think. Danny McBride, if there's any justice in this world, will become the next rock star of comedy. I am now looking forward to the Land of the Lost flick solely because Danny McBride is involved. And I'm also very much looking forward to next year's Jody Hill/Seth Rogen collaboration, Observe and Report, which i wasn't too psyched about before, either.

Dekalog - Krysztof Kieslowski

Slightly overrated but impressive to say the least. I've spent the last 4 days with this film (10 hours or so) and I'm gonna miss it now that it's over. I'd say that it's my second favorite Kieslowski film (after Blue)...if you can call it a film. Some stories were better than others, I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but the ones I disliked (or liked less) didn't have a particularly striking soundtrack.
I can't say I was a particular fan before this film, I'd seen the Three colours trilogy, The double life of Veronica and Scar but only Blue impressed me (I was hoping my dislike for The double life... and Red was based on casting and I guess I was right. As far as White and the last episode of Dekalog, he should have stayed away from comedies, so very much not his thing). This gives me an incentive to see the rest of his 80's output, particularly A short film about love, I'm not sure how much it differs from the episode in Dekalog but that was one of my favorites...and the ending was so freakin' ambiguous!

Anyway, I would have liked to have a discussion on something like this...unlike Doomsday.

Here are the ratings for each episode:
I

II

III

IV

V

VI

VII

VIII

IX

X

Overall