Robin Williams RIP

Tools    

R.I.P. Robin Williams. I got online and it was the first thing I saw, and I exclaimed "*********!" I didn't follow every move of his career, but I've seen nearly every movie he's done, and I've always loved him. He was a comic genius and a pretty good actor too. I was eight when Mork and Mindy came out and I was hooked. Looking back on the show, it's funny how it seemed like simply a vehicle for Williams to go crazy with his routine, and most the time the other actors are just trying to read their lines without bursting out laughing.

All I can is Shazbot! Why did this have to happen?

Such crappy crappy news. He was an out of this world talent.

I have 2 movies that haven't seemed to be mentioned much here.

Jack- Ah, he tore me up in this. I don't remember it well, I just remember his performance making me so sad.

Insomina- I saw this many years ago maybe when I was fresh out of high school and started wrapping my head around good cinema. I had always known Williams as the funny guy, but this showed me his range. He was so great in that movie. I am glad Nolan worked with Robin before he passed!

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Brimming with rififi!
I was aghast when I opened Twitter to a bombardment of tweets about the death of Robin Williams, and I hoped like hell that it was just another moronic social media "joke." After confirming the reports on various news outlets, I was not only disappointed, but deeply saddened. I grew up watching Robin Williams; Hook, especially, was a big part of my childhood--I can't begin to tell you how many times I watched that movie as a kid.

He spent so much of his life entertaining others and making his audience laugh; given his reported depression, Robin Williams' death definitely accentuates the notion of putting on a fake front.

Goodbye, Mr. Williams.

The Adventure Starts Here!
(sigh) First saw and adored Mr. Williams doing his standup way back before his "Mork" days on "Laverne and Shirley" (which then became the spinoff series "Mork and Mindy"). Nobody could turn Shakespeare into a hilarious standup routine quite like Robin Williams.

And, when I went off to college in 1979, that whole year we all watched "Mork and Mindy." I even had that shirt, those khakis, and rainbow suspenders. We all wanted to be at least half as funny as Mork.

You will be missed, sir.

I just got very angry when I looked on Facebook and saw this ignorant and unthoughtful post in light of what has just happened. How can you not know (at least I hope she doesn't know because if she does than this is so insensitive I just want to puke) what has just happened and be so ignorant and oblivious?? Anyway here's the quote:

"kms if my clothes don't come in the mail tomorrow. oml." kms=KILL MYSELF

YOU HAVE TO POST THIS INSENSITIVE BULLSH*T OVER F*CKING CLOTHES WHILE PEOPLE ARE GRIEVING??!?!? I HATE PEOPLE SOMETIMES.
Fire walk with me.

I just got very angry when I looked on Facebook and saw this ignorant and unthoughtful post in light of what has just happened. How can you not know (at least I hope she doesn't know because if she does than this is so insensitive I just want to puke) what has just happened and be so ignorant and oblivious?? Anyway here's the quote:

"kms if my clothes don't come in the mail tomorrow. oml." kms=KILL MYSELF

YOU HAVE TO POST THIS INSENSITIVE BULLSH*T OVER F*CKING CLOTHES WHILE PEOPLE ARE GRIEVING??!?!? I HATE PEOPLE SOMETIMES.
1. It's Facebook.
2. People have their own lives and own problems, no matter if a mega famous comedian/actor has just passed away.
3. It's Facebook.
4. It's Facebook.

Wait a minute. I've been thinking Robin hung himself, but that's not what asphyxiation is. That's where you use the plastic bag over your head. Sorry for being graphic, but I don't know why I immediately thought "hanged himself." It must have just seemed more dramatic.
Asphyxiation merely means suffocation by any number of means (not specific), so it definitely could include hanging oneself.

Also, this picture, as Robin looked when I really first started to adore him:

My first memories of Robin Williams are of seeing him on Mork & Mindy on Nick at Nite in the '80s. I don't know if I knew him from any movies at that time since I was a little kid and things like Mrs. Doubtfire and Good Will Hunting didn't exist yet. Maybe I saw Popeye.

I remember going to the movies to see Hook and Mrs. Doubtfire and that Hugh Grant movie, Nine Months, when they all came out. Also went to the movies to see What Dreams May Come and One Hour Photo and Death to Smoochy (which I hated and which I coughed up a storm during b/c I was sick). I guess that's all the Robin movies I saw in a theater. Good Will Hunting was one I rented from Blockbuster on VHS when it first came to video, as well as several other Robin movies I missed at the theater.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
he's had some bad drug problems in the past though so it's not really hard to believe that he also had some depression. hasn't it always been known that his funny guy persona was likely covering up some serious personal issues?
I'm almost positive he said that he had depression in an interview. I also remember him saying something to the effect of comedians being very sad people.

Something about him broke my heart when he cried or had that look on his face. He always seemed like the saddest person in the world to me.

If he did in fact have depression, it's not an easy thing to live with. I wish his family the best and hope they can find some peace with this soon.

WOW.

If you go on Amazon right now, all the Robin Williams DVDs/Blu-rays say "Temporarily Out of Stock."

Even Patch Adams.

He just checked himself back into a 12-step program just a couple of months ago -- as a precautionary measure because he'd been working for, like, 18 months straight and felt very vulnerable. I remember thinking at the time that this seemed like such a wise, self-aware thing to do, and so I didn't think much of it after that, assuming he knew himself well enough to know when he might be in trouble and knew how to get help.

I'm sorry to hear that even that good step in the right direction did not make things better enough for him.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

I loved Robin Williams. Along with Jim Carrey, I grew up watching these two comedians take their performances into hyper-overdrive. Heck, during interviews, never knowing what they would say or do next. His Live on Broadway had me in tears. Truly gifted man whose mind, I reckon, never stopped for a second to think, it was constantly on GO.

Of course being a kid in the 90's, I recognized him from Aladdin, Hook and Jumanji, films I will still watch to this day (well, maybe not Hook). My favourite role of his, he deservedly won on Oscar for, which was in Good Will Hunting. I still hang onto his every word in his speech about life to Matt Damon on the park bench. His gift for improv was unmatched in terms of his quick witted hyper attitude. The "wife farting in bed" lines were all him, even the camera man was laughing, which is evident in the actual movie as the camera shakes.

I'm on of the few people that like Patch Adams. I overlook the manipulation of emotions because Williams is just terrific here. This was my first film in which I saw Williams balance the tragedy of both comedy and sadness. He walked the line very well in my mind. I still haven't seen What Dreams May Come and hope to fit it in when I revisit his filmography.

Dramatic Williams, funny Williams...nothing prepared me for disturbing Williams, with his trilogy of dark performances: Insomnia, Death to Smoochy and One Hour Photo. His role as Sy the photo guy made me re-evaluate him yet again. For a guy who brings surprises constantly with laughs, he sure did in his performances when you least expected him to.

Williams in my mind, never really got back on that high horse after those films. He tried his hand at some more dramatic stuff, that to some might seem like Oscar baiting (House of D) and went back to more kid friendly films (RV) with one dark comedy being a beacon of sorts (World's Greatest Dad). Williams seemed to be on auto-pilot. The comedy world in North America was changing. No longer did people want to see animated guys like Williams and Carrey, they wanted the line-o-rama styles of Will Ferrell and Paul Rudd.

I will love his performances in my childhood favourites and wish this world still had this man.

He always seemed to put the laughter of others before himself, most comedians do.

REST IN PEACE.

Suspect's Reviews

I am a '90s kid, but I don't think I have ever seen Aladdin or even Jumanji. I think I may have seen Jumanji once, but it was so long ago that I don't remember it.