Quote of the Day

Tools    

This was not a boating accident
" They were here. They said they were going there. And then they went." Brad Pitt. True Romance.

The People's Republic of Clogher
"I've just got to keep my feet on the ground" - Triple-jumper Phillips Idowu after winning gold at the World Indoor Championships, yesterday.

Ermmm, that'll bugger up your chances at The Olympics then, son.

I've been on a calendar, but never on time.
-Marilyn Monroe

I am half agony, half hope.
Do you want me to tell you something really subversive? Love is everything it's cracked up to be. That's why people are so cynical about it. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more.

~Erica Jong

Johann von Goethe

As far as I'm concerned, the only difference between fact and what most people call fiction is about fifteen pages in the dictionary. ~ Charles de Lint

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

"Andy Warhol is the only genius I've ever known with an I.Q. of 60."

- Gore Vidal

I love this. So true. Andy Warhol is amazing.

What's my aim in life?

I wanna do something so outrageous I break the internet.

"So what are you gonna do?"

I'm gonna tell the truth on national television.

Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.
-Thomas Alva Edison

"Douglas told me in the strictest confidence exactly why 42. The answer is fascinating, extraordinary and, when you think hard about it, completely obvious but sadly I cannot share it with anyone and the secret must go with me to the grave. Pity, because it explains so much beyond the books. It really does explain the secret of life, the universe, and everything." - Sir Stephen Fry (on being asked why the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything in Douglas Adams' Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was '42')

You can't just sit down and talk about the truth. It doesn't work that way. You have to live it and be part of it and you might get to know it. ~ Anonymous Cherokee

I am half agony, half hope.
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes. By the deep sea, and music in its roars; I love not man the less, but nature more.

~George Gordon

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
"Even if one takes every reefer madness allegation of the prohibitionists at face value, marijuana prohibition has done far more harm to far more people than marijuana ever could."

- William F. Buckley, Jr.

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Edgar Allan Poe
Very nice. I've always loved this one.

"Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they will never cease to be amused."

The two men who had never met before stared at each other, like two hummingbirds who had also never met before.
-Example English teachers use to make us rewrite our first draft.

"Blessed is the corpse that gets rained on" - My neighbour, Elsie, this morning.

She was talking about the horrible day we had yesterday for my other neighbour's funeral and said her mother used to use that saying but she didn't have a clue what it meant. A quick Google later and I found this - Blessed is the bride the sun shines on and blessed are the dead the rain rains on. 17th Century proverb apparently.

This was not a boating accident
We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking up at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

"Blessed is the corpse that gets rained on" - My neighbour, Elsie, this morning.

She was talking about the horrible day we had yesterday for my other neighbour's funeral and said her mother used to use that saying but she didn't have a clue what it meant. A quick Google later and I found this - Blessed is the bride the sun shines on and blessed are the dead the rain rains on. 17th Century proverb apparently.

F.Scott Fitzgerald used almost the same line inThe Great Gatsby:

Blessed are the dead that the rain falls on.

Thought about that line the first time I heard Dave Matthew's Gravedigger....