Bad accent=Bad acting

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
I see a pattern that most people here think bad accents in comedies are a good thing (usually). It's when they show up in dramas that they really stick out as annoying.

I adore Azaria and he plays the accent for effect. As does Cloris Leachman. And many others.

But Coster, yuck. And for some reason Connery's accent in Red October didn't bother me. I guess because he didn't say "bairn" or use any Gaelic phrases that I didn't really notice the Scottish twinge to the whole thing. He has a way of making Scottish sound universal.

Linda

I am having a nervous breakdance
I have to say that I have never heard another scottish actor speaking with the same accent as Connery. He could play any character and he would still only sound like Sean Connery.

But what about Bad Breath = Bad Acting??

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I thought that the accents in Gangs of New York were weak at times,...........most of the times.

hmm, as far as bad accents go.

i thought costners in 13 days wasnt very good.

i love all the accents in snatch

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by filmfreak
Also Heather Graham's in From Hell. Awful, just awful.

Now see, I love this film, as I am an Alan Moore fan and a Depp fan as well. Heather Graham was the only thing I didn't like in the film. I found her to be an anachronism, what with the pearly whites and the flowing shiney hair. Her accent cracks me up though. The bad, what was it blibblobblib called it, mockney accent I believe, was hilarious! Ya I guess if I tried to take her seriously in the film I would have had an issue with it, but she was just right out for me. I think the rest of the cast is great and I am a big fan of the atmosphere created in the film...

In general, I don't think accents ruin roles. Conan's accent makes his character! What would this line be without Arnold saying it:

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women!"

Kevin Costner: Robin Hood-just for the fact he didn't even attempt a british accent makes me vewwy vewwwy angry.

Jason Isaacs: Black Hawk Down-are you kidding?! Worst american accent I've ever heard. EVER!

and the mother of all terrible accents. . .

Leonardo DeCaprio: the Quick and the Dead-this guy would NEVER pass as a cowboy! The single worst accent ever!
And found he was eating his shoe.

In the Beginning...
Carrie-Anne Moss's French accent in Chocolat was terrible. It didn't even sound like she spent twenty minutes coming up with it. Blah.

I do have to mention, though (in a completely inappropriate thread, mind you), that Cate Blanchett has never done a bad accent, and never will.

Pushing Tin
Bandits
Veronica Guerin
The Missing
Elizabeth

She's brilliant.

Originally Posted by Sleezy
Cate Blanchett has never done a bad accent, and never will.

Pushing Tin
Bandits
Veronica Guerin
The Missing
Elizabeth

She's brilliant.

You are forgetting the best one. . .hem hem. . .Lord of the Rings.

Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
Kevin Costner: Robin Hood-just for the fact he didn't even attempt a british accent makes me vewwy vewwwy angry.
Given the result of his other attempts at various accents, that may have been the lesser of two evils.

The kids in the Hp movies suck they can't acted at all!That is a big reason the movie suck so bad it is the acting!The acents are ok I guess since they are real but the acting yuck!
Also in any of those movies on disney when the kids try to acted or speak in a fake accents it is hard on the ears!How did they manger to even get any acting parts at all?
Anyway glad to get that off my chest!See you around!jm
Favorite Movie of all time:Star Wars!
Online offline boyfriend:AdarkSideJedi(brad)
Other Sites I belong tooeathcurse.com Darkmark.com and StarWars.com and Adult Swim.com!

Originally Posted by Yoda
Given the result of his other attempts at various accents, that may have been the lesser of two evils.

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I love 35mm ^_^
Now don't get me wrong, but Angelina Jolies accent in Tomb Raider sounded to fake in the first one, and it changed to much in the second one. But don't get me started on how awful Tomb Raider 2 was.....

Okay, this one is not a movie performance, but it fits the topic:
Robin Weigert who plays "Calamity Jane" in HBO's Deadwood. I wince every time she speaks. Almost ruins an otherwise great show.

Another horrible southern accent: James Caan in "Flesh & Bone".

well, if they are meant to have an accent like JB or something, then i suppose it's good, but if they naturally have an accent and no one can understand them, that's bad.
but having a bad accent doesn't neccessarilly mean they are crap actors.

Just caught Scarface with Al Pacino last night again. All the time I was watching the movie I was saying to myself, "What a terrible Cuban accent" Steven Bauer's wasnt great either... Even Robert Loggia, who is a good actor, could not pull it off...
Any views on this?

A system of cells interlinked
I feel the same about Scarface, and the minimal synth music is a tad shadey as well. A good suggestion for a remedy is to remove the Scarface DVD from the player, and insert Goodfellas

(Althought the Goodfellas DVD itself is pretty bad, as you must flip it mid-film)

Mrs. BDT to y'all
Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.
Need i say more?

Bug Planet Proximus
Originally Posted by Sedai
I feel the same about Scarface, and the minimal synth music is a tad shadey as well. A good suggestion for a remedy is to remove the Scarface DVD from the player, and insert Goodfellas

(Althought the Goodfellas DVD itself is pretty bad, as you must flip it mid-film)
O M F G
do you want my head to explode right off my body????
you name me another accent that has been more mimicked in history.
and dont get me started on how wrong you are about giorgio moroder's soundtrack or Al Pacino's performance.

ps. i also cant wait for the SE Goodfella's dvd to come out in October so i can replace this ****ty 2 sided flip disc

Bug Planet Proximus
Originally Posted by led_zeppelin

Jason Isaacs: Black Hawk Down-are you kidding?! Worst american accent I've ever heard. EVER!

and the mother of all terrible accents. . .

Leonardo DeCaprio: the Quick and the Dead-this guy would NEVER pass as a cowboy! The single worst accent ever!
totally agreed
except i would say that the worst accent in the movie black hawk down was Eric Bana. i still have no idea what the hell he was thinking.
it makes me wonder exactly what you americans think of my fellow countryman Eric. It seems you have only seen him in generic **** like hulk, troy and black hawk down, have any of you seen Chopper???
I guess its because im used to having seen him as a comedian in Australia and a skit show favourite for over a decade.

Originally Posted by D'yer Mak'er
O M F G
do you want my head to explode right off my body????
Will you learn some manners if it does...

Originally Posted by D'yer Mak'er
and dont get me started on how wrong you are about giorgio moroder's soundtrack or Al Pacino's performance.
You are seriously starting to get on my nerves… contrary to your popular belief, people are allowed their own opinions with out you coming along to tell them how wrong they are just because their opinion does not agree with your own…

And just for the record, I didn't see anything in Sedai's post about Pacino's total performance... just that his accent was bad... and it was.