The Videogames Tab

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Yup, it is certainly intense, that is for sure. One of the boss battles is absolutely stunning. You will know when you get there! Max out the Ripper; it owns.

You want to post like me?
Yeah, I rented it expecting the typical MK storyline and wound up having to play as Lex Luthor!? Wow. I am still pretty pissed that it didn't unlock 4 achievements from both sides of the storyline.

Anyone up for a COD 5 tourney?
Well. The cover said 'Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe' right?

If I were to buy a REALLY good rpg for xbox (I got Oblivion), what would you guys reccomend? Any opinions on Fable 2?
You have it already!

Finished all the Oblivion content, have you?

You want to post like me?
You have it already!

Finished all the Oblivion content, have you?
Nah mate. Sorry to dissapoint but I didn't like it much tbh. I'd much rather play Devil May Cry 4

If I were to buy a REALLY good rpg for xbox (I got Oblivion), what would you guys reccomend? Any opinions on Fable 2?
Fable 2 is good, it's a better version of Fable. Then there's Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Mass Effect, Fallout 3 and Infinite Undiscovery. I haven't played some of them, but I hear they are great.

If you like JRPG's the go for Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery or Eternal Sonata. Both Mass Effect and Fallout 3 are Western RPG's. Fallout 3 is Oblivion, with guns, in a different setting. Mass Effect is more like Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic(I think that's what it's called) on the XBOX, it's made by the same developer, but again, with guns, instead of light sabres. I think Eterna Sonata is supposedly the closet game to the Final Fantasy series on the 360. Well, untill FFXIII is out.

Your favourite hack'n'slash game while we're at it?
No sure, on that one. Not really played many on the 360, Viking was OK. I think that's all I have played, bar the greatest XBLA title ever. It's called Castle Crashers. It's a 2D hack'n'slash, with cartoony flash styled visuals. It's an awesome game, it has 4 player co-op too. It's 1,200 points but is just awesome. I recommend it to everyone. It's made by Behemoth(I think) the people who made Alien Homon(o?)id. Try the trial if you have XBL.

Japanese Roll Playing Game. WRPG is Western RPG. Fable 2 is a British made game, I think that still comes under WRPG.

Yeah, it's a British game. I think it was made in England. With all the cheesy cockney accents and stuff, it'd be hard to miss.

Nah mate. Sorry to dissapoint but I didn't like it much tbh. I'd much rather play Devil May Cry 4

I can't fathom why. It is hands down the best RPG game ever made, IMO. What's not to like? That game does everything right.

Devil May Cry is an action series, so I can't really put it in the RPG category. Don't get me wrong, The DMC stuff is excellent fun, for sure. If you don't care for character creation etc., then I see why Oblivion wouldn't be appealing.

Hmmm, weird, some game sites have the DMC stuff in a category called "Beat-em up" (???), which I had never heard used before. Creating its own genre, perhaps?

I am trying to think of something along the lines of DMC you might like. Do you have a PS2, as well? The God of War stuff is really well done, intense, and super fun, and the graphics approach Next-Gen quality, IMO. Totally worth playing.

As for the categories you cats are discussing above: When considering JRPGs, think Final Fantasy, with heavy story emphasis in which you play along in a pretty linear fashion. These games usually have turn based battles.

I like a good JRPG from time to time, becuase a lot of the stories are really well done. You sacrifice quite a bit of flexability, though.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Rented Gears 2 today...so far not a bad game...
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Fallout 3 is the best current-gen RPG out there , but you didn't enjoy Oblivion so I'm not sure if you want the semi-sequel.

Knights of the Old Republic is still amazing though , you need to play it - if you haven't yet.

Welcome to the human race...
For the record, Mortal Kombat Vs DC Universe is actually a pretty decent game.

North American Scum!
Knights of the Old Republic is truly epic. A must get. Playing the second one right now and I must say that so far the original is better then the sequel. If you had a computer I'd reccomend Baldur's Gate II as well. Hands down the best RPG out there.

Fable 2 was meh. Storyline is really off and on and fairly short. The only person you really care about is your dog. Everyone else seems like filler and cliche. Also the game itself seems incredibly easy. Put your skills into an offensive spell and time stop and the game essentially beats itself. However, you want a game that's pretty to look at (rivalling Oblivion in beauty IMO), and allows you to make a character that looks really bad-ass then you'll like Fable. I'd say just rent it though...not worth the buy.

The People's Republic of Clogher
You've not heard of Beat-em-ups, Seds?!?

Double Dragon? Streets of Rage?

Re: The RPG debate. I got fed up with JRPGS a while back but Eternal Sonata and to a lesser extent Lost Odyssey brought me back onside - when they're done well they're great. Wasn't impressed with Blue Dragon and Infinite Undiscovery (they're playable enough though, one to totally avoid is Enchanted Arms) but they're worth a rent.

The Witcher (probably my favourite PC RPG since Neverwinter Nights) is getting a console release, apparently, but in a slightly different form. It could be one to watch...

Then there's the imminent releases of Sacred II and Diablo III.

The Fable games, to me, were much better in theory than they were in execution. I like them but nothing more than that.

Mass Effect is fantastic (it's from the KOTOR guys) and is one of two games (the other being Oblivion) that I immediately bought for the 360 even though I'd finished them on the PC.