Is Paul Thomas Anderson the best living american filmmaker?

Tools    

Ok? Spielberg's goals are more aligned with that type of audience, that means nothing really. How does citing a purposefully mainstream filmmaker prove that Copolla is perfect in the 70s? Also, there is such a thing as having nothing wrong with it but not being perfect.
Spielberg is considered by many the greatest director ever. And The Color Purple, Schindler's list, Catch Me if you can, The Terminal. Munich, The Adventures of Tin Tin, snd War Horsre are not mainstream movies.

For him to give Coppola that high of a compliment says a lot.

Looper looks good and he has potential. But Brick was... less than great.
Agree to disagree. Maybe if you have only seen Brick once go back and watch it again. It was hard to understand what they were saying until halfway through the movie when I adjusted to the slang and accepted this high school crime world. 2nd viewing made it much more enjoyable.

I think it was a pretty impressive feat for half a million dollar film. And any director that writes and directs their own features get bonus points from me.

But you are right, he is not in any of the mentioned film directors yet, I'm just purely going on potential here. Hope he keeps proving me right.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Magnolia may be the greatest film I've ever watched.
Magnolia is a masterpiece.
Ok,you convinced me,I always delayed this movie,now I'll have to see it.

Ok,you convinced me,I always delayed this movie,now I'll have to see it.
So you know you should be able to watch it here for free http://www.blinkbox.com/Free/Movie/44345/Magnolia I really need to watch it myself, along with other films from PT Anderson.

Spielberg is considered by many the greatest director ever. And The Color Purple, Schindler's list, Catch Me if you can, The Terminal. Munich, The Adventures of Tin Tin, snd War Horsre are not mainstream movies.

For him to give Coppola that high of a compliment says a lot.
By many, the masses yes, they have numbers. Smoking was considered by many to be healthy, the earth was considered by nearly all to be flat, doesn't make them right. No one thinks he's bad, but people with little exposure tend to put him there because of that or because critics tell them to. I want to respond to your opinions, not the many.

I would have to say no. He is a good director but definitely not the best. I think Darren Aronofsky is amazing and sadly underrated. I also think Tarantino is an amazing director. He superbly takes genres that he loved while he was growing up and completely makes them his own. I think Steven Spielberg is pretty awesome. Granted he's made some stinkers, but he is probably one of the best because he can make fun movies for the whole family or make a movie with a lot of heart and depth. That's just my opinion of course.

Finished here. It's been fun.
PTA is definitely one of the best filmmakers right now,no doubt about that. He's probably my favorite.His films are visually stunning, the performances are always brilliant, and I love how his films are character-based.I Cant wait to see Inherent Vice later this year, and his other works in the future.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
He is getting there, but, at the moment, I would say no, purely because he has yet to truly develop his own distinctive style as a filmmaker. I just feel most of the noticeable stylistic inspirations in his films (bar The Master) come across as just a bit too discernible. There is nothing inherently wrong with this, of course - Tarantino has based his entire career off this very notion, and he has proven to be one of the better directors working in America today, but I just feel a degree of individuality (for lack of better word) and distinctiveness is a necessity in my books if you want to be dubbed as the best working filmmaker alive in the US. I would put a few other filmmakers above him, but he is certainly getting closer, especially after seeing The Master, which came across as his most personal and original piece yet.

Hellllllllll no

I'd put Tarantino, Fincher, Scorsese, Eastwood, Coppola, Mallick, The Coens, Wes Anderson, Chris Nolan (He's british, but makes Hollywood movies) and even Spielberg above him

Next to Coppola, Scorsese, Spielberg and possibly Tarantino, I think he's probably the best.

He needs a larger filmography to claim the title 'best living American filmmaker', but he is definitely one of the two best filmmakers of his generation, in my opinion.

Scorsese still lives... so no.
This.

Guy has talent, though, nobody can deny that. So far I have only seen three films from him, Punch-Drunk Love which I thought was decent, Boogie Nights which I found to be very good and There Will Be Blood which I think is a masterpiece.

Need to check the rest of his filmography soon.