The MoFo Top 100 of the 80s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Thing: Shape Shifting Alien that painfully takes over your body and becomes you, then proceeds to systematically do the same to everyone around you. Nobody knows who The Thing is or isn't and even killing it doesn't actually kill it.

Halloween: Masked man with a knife who is really only interested in killing his family.

The Thing wins...

The Thing is stupid. You're only making me more madder at it than I was before.

Who cares that it's some shape shifting alien? There are no known creatures like that in the universe. Michael Myers, on the other hand -- while there's no IMMORTAL murderers out there, there's murderers. Far more scary.

shut up sexy, the Thing is awesome. not to mention the Wilford Brimley effect

probability that one or more team members may be infected by intruder organism:
--75%--
projection:
if intruder organism reaches civilized areas...
entire world population infected 27,000 hours from first contact

wait, i get it now. SexyC is infected by the Thing, holy s&^%!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Neither of these is scary to me, but I liked The Thing's atmosphere better, but I admit the ever-present Michael Myers is okay too.

i have proof that SexyCelebrity has tendencies of The Organism from the Thing. was reading over his 'Make Your own Tarantino movie' thread yesterday, bc that thread is hilarious (Mr Minio has a hysterical post in it -Once Upon a Time in Tarantino's head- i laughed out loud re-reading it)

anyways, in the first post of his thread, Sexy said this:

Pretend that you are Quentin Tarantino:

You're him in this thread, okay? Forget who you really are and become Quentin Tarantino.

Becoming other people is really easy to do -- trust me, I have experience.
link: http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=34418

SexyCelebrity
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

i liked Titanic when it was released in 1997, but that was pretty much only bc i was a 5th grader getting to see Kate Winslet's tatas... which for some reason was a big deal then
What do you mean, "for some reason was a big deal then"? It's a big deal now.
1981. Starring Steve Martin and Bernadette Peters. During the Great Depression, a sheet music salesman seeks to escape his dreary life through popular music and a love affair with an innocent school teacher.
I'd recommend the BBC drama.

however, Aliens has greater complexity/more character development and is more action oriented, since I generally prefer action and drama over horror, I prefer Aliens. Though both are great and in my top 100.
But Aliens doesn't have any developed characters? They're all so bloody one dimensional, cardboard cut-outs. It's to be expected in an action film, but it doesn't make it any less true.

Have you seen The Fog?
It wouldn't matter, The Thing is much better than The Fog and I love The Fog. Still, I think Halloween is probably his best. Oh, and at no point is The Fog scary. Not even close and I'm not convinced it's trying.

Am I the only person who's missing the multi-quote function?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Haha, I'm glad you liked my concept, nostromo87. I like yours too, but I somehow missed it before.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
I still don't understand how everyone doesn't see that the best film of the 1980's involved the musical adventures of a anthropomorphic toaster and his household appliance friends.

Reviews

Weeman, this countdown is almost over. I'll be expecting my sequel soon.

There's gotta be a sequel. The '80s were all about sequels.

Actually the 80s were all about original adventures...

It's movies today that are all about copying and making sequels. Especially copying and remaking and making sequels to 80s films.

Wow, I'm surprised The Breakfast Club wasn't higher. Neither it or The Thing would've made my list, but I really like both of them. Aliens and Scarface would have, and I have no problem with where either of them are. Top ten prediction:

Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Empire Strikes Back
Blade Runner
Back to the Future
The Shining
Blue Velvet
Raging Bull
Die Hard
The Terminator
Full Metal Jacket

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
The '80s were all about sequels, though. Deal with it.
Exactly.

Like Back to The Future (1), Gremlins (1), E.T, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Beverly Hills Cop (1), The Terminator.

Amongst other non-blockbusters...

Critters, The Thing, Blade Runner...

Batman, Highlander...

Just a few more sequels that the 80s brought us...