The Thread Where I Post Stuff That I Just Happen To Really Like

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Sir Toose
What, you haven't liked anything in a week?
Sure. I just haven't really liked anything, except the household tips that I made a thread about.

You know what I like?
HEY! There are children pres---

The Book of Tiki:
oh... What's the idea, there?

AND I really dig Mid-Century Modern Architecture.

In fact, I like Streamline Moderne and Art Deco too.
All good. I am ready for a return of Art Nouveau, especially since I learned how to spell "nouveau".

Polynesian Pop Culture, tikis, Thor Heyerdahl, and the encompassing era of The Atomic Age is all pretty damn cool, don't you think?

Oh, I like SHAG (Josh Agle) a lot too... his paintings set me to feeling jovial.
I like Shag too, though he makes me miss someone.

there's a frog in my snake oil
AND I really dig Mid-Century Modern Architecture.
I've been tripping on old-school skills made next-century-modern, as it goes.

This 10cm-thick ceiling is something no modern artisans can reproduce at the mo, for example. But they know something about how it was made. You just let a chain hang, then figure out the shape it would make inverted. Then multiply.

What you can end up with is lovely non-'polluting'/reusable structures (IE stuff made out of clay or stone), which use less materials, and look funky to boot. I'm kind of likeing the idea of some steel-free sky-sprees.

Um, if you feel like paying, here's the root of this tale. But i reckon reading my rhymes has already cost you enough

Originally Posted by Golgot
I've been tripping on old-school skills made next-century-modern, as it goes.

This 10cm-thick ceiling is something no modern artisans can reproduce at the mo, for example. But they know something about how it was made. You just let a chain hang, then figure out the shape it would make inverted. Then multiply.

What you can end up with is lovely non-'polluting'/reusable structures (IE stuff made out of clay or stone), which use less materials, and look funky to boot. I'm kind of likeing the idea of some steel-free sky-sprees.

Um, if you feel like paying, here's the root of this tale. But i reckon reading my rhymes has already cost you enough
That ceiling is positively gorgeous.
No idea what you mean about inverting a chain, however. Care to 'splain it, Lucy?

Apparently that's the main 'old-school' technique we know of. When a chain is...

suspended from two points [it] will always come to rest in a state of pure tension... Inverting the resulting shape into an arch reverses it into one of pure compression
And while materials like steel are good under both compression and tension, stone etc can only do the compression thing. But it can do it very efficiently, and 'biodegradably'

Modern day-ish experiments like this are being made out of plastic-covered-cloth tho, i believe. But it seems clay n stone may have their day again sometime soon

This 10cm-thick ceiling is something no modern artisans can reproduce at the mo.
Wow, that is beautiful

Modern day-ish experiments like this are being made out of plastic-covered-cloth tho, i believe. But it seems clay n stone may have their day again sometime soon
Awesome info GG... I always wondered how they did some of that stuff way back when.... but did you put too much pepper in that second link? It made my pc crash...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Your computer is obviously a philistine

Strange tho. Works fine on mine.

And mine's a heathen

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
oh... What's the idea, there?
The exploration of the post war polynesian pop craze that infiltrated American society from the late 1940's to the mid 1970's. The architectural styles of the polynesian islands heavily influenced the look (and themes) of roadside cafe's, diners etc and eventually gave birth to a new style (Googie).

The book is relatively cheap, take a look and then pay attention while driving around. You'll be surprised at how much you see.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Given the size of the Philipino community in LA, I can only imagine I'll see a ton of it. Thanks, Toose, very cool.

You're at the heart of it in LA. LA has the most remaining period architecture of the time. I'm jealous!

Check out Critiki

AND the "Locating Tiki" section at Tiki Central

You're even close enough to go and watch Crazy Al carve some Tikis on the beach.

You're at the heart of it in LA. LA has the most remaining period architecture of the time. I'm jealous!

Check out Critiki

AND the "Locating Tiki" section at Tiki Central

You're even close enough to go and watch Crazy Al carve some Tikis on the beach.
I've been to a tiki bar in Laguna Beach - excellent mai-tai's.
It looks like Crazy Al's next show in LA is in mid-October. Looks like a fun way to get an education about the culture. I will be the tallest person there, I bet.

Lets put a smile on that block
This is just a story of something that i happen to really like.

Tuesday just gone, my brother emails me at work asking if i would like tickets to the Jonathan Ross show at the BBC. YES i say. Ross is our version of Jay Leno/Letterman and he is every bit as good. (Better i think) A truly hilarious and charming man.

Anywhoo, i go to meet him at the BEEB (After witnessing and seperating two SCREAMING women on the tube who were scratching and fighting with eachother over a seat. I love London.) and when i get there, he says "Follow me". So i do. He managed to get some priority tickets for the show. Which means great seats, and the green room for free food and drink. FREE DRINK. Yum. Anywhoo, i then find out who the guests are going to be. He always has great guests so i'm excited anyway, but then he tells me.

I was gobsmacked. Miss Moore, Mr Ferrell and the wonderful Mr Wogan, a British Institution in himself and sinnonemous (cant find the correct spelling of this word anywhere. Help?) with the BEEB. I mean Julianne Moore, shes from two of my most highly loved films, Magnolia and The Hours. The Mr Ferrell. He is the legend that is Ron Burgundy. Brilliant. And Terry, well anyone who knows of the man will know what a legend he truly is.

Anyway, it was such a great show. So so funny and a brilliant atmosphere in the audience. Ross really knows what he is doing and is just great at it. Ferrell was on first, and was hilarious in places and more laid back in others, seemed like a genuinly nice guy though. PLus they played the clip from Anchorman when he plays the Jazz Flute (Ham and Eggs baby). Jullianne was beautiful. She was stunning. And so witty and charming. I didnt sit down the hole time she was on. I was hovering above my chair nodding and sweating. I was a bit dissapointed she wasnt on there to talk about Children of Men (Which i cannot wait to see) but i was just so pleased to see her. When Ross started talking about his other films, he mentioned Magnolia, and through my utter excitement i just blurted out a "YAAAAAAAAY!!" to my utter horror. Everyone turned but Julianne just looked right in my direction with a big smile on her face and said "Thank You. Thank you so much" SHE SAID THAT TO ME! It was wonderful. And then there was the Wogan. Brilliant, charming and hilarious as always. And great banter with Ross.

So any of you Brits staying in tomorrow night, check it out on BBC1. Its a reeeeeeally good show. I really hope they keep the part with me yelling in. It didnt stop the flow and was quite nice really.

Oh and the Scissor Sisters even performed at the end and were SUPERB! I stole one of their plectrums, then accidently used their toilet so i got to walk past them in the corridor holding my breath. My bro wasnt happy but i loved it.

What a wonderful evening.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Is Ms Moore's hair as sexy in real life?

It's nice to see Wogan getting some decent warm-up acts though, so I'll set the video (or whatever you call that digibox record thing in the corner) even if it is only to hear your yelp...

...as long as I can switch the volume off and turn away whenever Ross and Ferrell appear onscreen...

Lets put a smile on that block
Her hair was very very sexy Taccy yes. She looks almost the same as she does in that picture at the moment. Like hair colour wise. I feel it varies some what in gingerness over time. She had a cracking figure too and lovely legs. God i love her.

And as for turning off when Ross is on, what is the matter with you man? Do you not like the floppy haired charm of Rossy?