Gabrielle goes 1001

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Formerly the Klan was made to defend people from bands of black marauders.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
pretty intriguing that you went with movies you aren't all that keen to begin with; very courageous of you. Enjoying the reviews on what you've seen!

Just watched Le Voyage dans la Lune and The Great Train Robbery. Loved the first one and thought the second one was ok. I agree with both your ratings.

How brilliant is it to cannon yourself to the moon (which has a face!), meet aliens, make them blow up and then fall down from the moon again into the sea? Georges Méliès is a man with a magnificent sense for fantasy!

La Voyage and Train Robbery are both on the lists if any of you have missed them. Both very worthwhile films and essential artifacts. The former I think is incredibly vibrant and imaginative even by today's standards.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Just watched Le Voyage dans la Lune and The Great Train Robbery. Loved the first one and thought the second one was ok. I agree with both your ratings.

How brilliant is it to cannon yourself to the moon (which has a face!), meet aliens, make them blow up and then fall down from the moon again into the sea? Georges Méliès is a man with a magnificent sense for fantasy!
Growing up I was always aware of references to this movie, one I always remember is the rocket landing in the eye of the face on the moon. And now, I REALLY need to run off to youtube and watch it!!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've only seen The Great Train Robbery. It's a decent 6/10, but nothing earth shattering even for its time.
It was a real big deal in 1903.

pretty intriguing that you went with movies you aren't all that keen to begin with; very courageous of you.
yep,there might be tons of bad ratings coming. Also note that the popcorn rating is subjective as objectively,they probably all are worth 5 stars.

Just watched The Great Train Robbery
Just watched Le Voyage dans la Lune and The Great Train Robbery.
catching up with me?

It's a decent 6/10, but nothing earth shattering even for its time.
there's actually tons of technical stuff that it introduced.The movie was shot on location which I think is an important innovation.Don't forget that it is basically a first Western,so..

I wish I could see the reaction for real. I mean,I try to imagine the people and how they would look at first films but it's still quite hard to believe that spectators held their breaths and ran out of theatres because the movies were too scary.

I wish I could see the reaction for real. I mean,I try to imagine the people and how they would look at first films but it's still quite hard to believe that spectators held their breaths and ran out of theatres because the movies were too scary.
If I had a time machine one of my first trips would be to the first screening of Arrival of a Train... for those exact reasons.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I get that it was the first of its time for a lot of things. Just nothing that I would really want to watch again.

Voyage dans la Lune is simply amazing. And it's not even my favorite Méliès short, but the way it develops such a complicated concept of science fiction and integrates special effects is amazing for its time.

The great train robbery is a key work. Because apparently it is the first work ever that uses composite editing and narrates a story through separated scenes. I can't help to love it simply because I'm less amazed by the early western than the early sci-fi imagery, I guess. But as a piece of artistic relevance, it is indisputable.

And about Birth of a nation. I haven't watched it, but I assume, Gabrielle, that if you are not used to silent films a 200 minute epic can only lead to boredom. There's a lot of stuff to discover in this sense, and I think you'll be able to enjoy a good amount by the end of this 1001 journey. Stuff like Chaplin's or Keaton's works for example, they tend to be easy to enjoy and serve as good gateways to this kind of cinema and its rules. Regarding this list, I hope you get a better experience with the shorter and latter Broken blossoms.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Voyage dans la Lune is simply amazing. And it's not even my favorite Méliès short, but the way it develops such a complicated concept of science fiction and integrates special effects is amazing for its time.

The great train robbery is a key work. Because apparently it is the first work ever that uses composite editing and narrates a story through separated scenes. I can't help to love it simply because I'm less amazed by the early western than the early sci-fi imagery, I guess. But as a piece of artistic relevance, it is indisputable.

And about Birth of a nation. I haven't watched it, but I assume, Gabrielle, that if you are not used to silent films a 200 minute epic can only lead to boredom. There's a lot of stuff to discover in this sense, and I think you'll be able to enjoy a good amount by the end of this 1001 journey. Stuff like Chaplin's or Keaton's works for example, they tend to be easy to enjoy and serve as good gateways to this kind of cinema and its rules. Regarding this list, I hope you get a better experience with the shorter and latter Broken blossoms.
I haven't seen a silent epic yet. Just the much shorter films as well.

Only 10 more years to go and then you'll get to the Garbo.

And, for those who were unaware of it or those who haven't seen it, may I present...

OK, so this is for everyone. It's a great song and a great video.

I started watching the next film Les Vampires which is divided in 10 parts and each part is from 13 to,I think,45 minutes long.I watched one episode for now and it was better than Birth of a Nation. Probably I'll end up disliking most of silent/Golden Era movies but I'm sure there's one or two movies which I will end up loving.Like it was with Gone With The Wind.

Only 10 more years to go and then you'll get to the Garbo.
what about her?

Then you'll see some wonderful films with the most beautiful woman I've ever seen.
I recorded Grand Hotel today and just for that comment, I'm going to watch it tomorrow.

#4 Les Vampires

Year: 1915-1916
Directed by Louis Feuillade

Louis Feuillade made this serial film very quickly and basically scriptless yet it has become his most known work and I believe this crime/thriller movie introduced what suspense is like.

Les Vampires,a 7 hour silent movie divided into 10 parts is not about real vampires.It's about a ruthless gang who are calling themselves The Vampires and a journalist,Philipe Guérande who is trying to catch them.The director doesn't reveal all the characters at once but many of them are introduced or killed during the series.

I am pretty sure that the story is the greatest thing about this movie.Lots of spy tricks like poisoning,following,searching for clues,multiple identities makes this film really enjoyable and captivating.Note that Hitchcock and Fritz Lang were inspired by this and it's easy to understand why as it is full of suspense and darkness.During this long viewing,I was always surprised at how the director manages to twist the story so it's not repetative or boring.It even has tons of cheesy and unrealistic things such as Moreno's gaze which helps him to enslave people or multiple identities and hypnosis.Yet,the movie seems so logic and real that you can't notice when it goes more into the fantasy genre.It also has some shots and ideas which reminded me of newer films - two rooms which are next to each other are shown so you can see that person from one room is eavesdropping on person in another room,head in the box is delivered,person lays on the train rails and remains alive and so on.Notice that there's two partners in the film(one of them is always more silly) like it's now in most of the films.That's why I believe it's a very influental movie and when you watch it,it easy to see that.No wonder thriller and crimes genres are one of the best when Hitchcock learned from this and modern directors learned from Hitchcock.

I still found silence to be a drawback again but it definitely had a better way of showing subtitles than Birth of a Nation.Words were written mostly on notes(they were real messages in film) and very little dialogue is actually subtitled.I think the note thing was helpful as not only it would clue the viewers in but also make them feel as part of the vampire investigation.Yet,for me the story was still very complicated to understand fully so I think that I'd love it even more if I rewatch.Again,I felt at times that words reduce the suspense but for a silent film,it was like a real thriller.I mentioned that this film was made in a hurry and quality definitely suffers because of it,it was hard to follow that tremendous story since I had difficulties recognizing some characters.There's also this play with light(color) which I noticed in Birth of a Nation as well but only now I have figured out that blue color stands for night and sepia is for inside scenes.Night looks extremely bad! I would also like to give some credit for music,so haunting and blends perfectly into this dark movie.

I think the acting is over the top at times especially by the two heroes - Mazamette and Guérande.It's too theatrical and there's lots of body language.There was this one scene where Philipe Guérande was looking for something and he was suspicious so he very visibly crossed his hands and looked over the room. But there were some decent performances.I liked Musidora,Fernand Herrmann,Louis Leubas and some other minor role characters like the woman who played ballerina.

The characters are another great thing about the movie.The star of the whole serial is undoubtedly Irma Vep(played by silent movie star Musidora),the loyal accomplice of The Vampires leader,sneaky,ruthless yet elegant woman who always manages to escape her captives or to trick them.I loved her character,especially the subtle acting and her vampire look.Great female villain.

To sum up,I think it's one of the better innovative silent movies introducing thriller/crime cinema.Lots of suspense,captivating story,lovable and ruthless but still in a way sympathetic characters,haunting music,some kind of step into the noir genre,dark atmosphere,depressing situations and the final climax makes all this time worth your while yet the technical side and silence restricts Les Vampires from being an acclaimed and known masterpiece.I think it could be remade.