The MoFo Top Animated Films List - Voting

→ in
Tools    

Submitted my list.

I didn't watch every film I wanted to see for this countdown, but I'm still very satisfied with the top 25 I have now.

Well Miss Vicky, your hard work payed off. 73 lists is quite impressive.

Sent. 74.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Who did that Skeleton Dance? I remember seeing it while doing the birthday thread recently, but I can't remember whose birthday it was.
It's a Silly Symphony (Disney) Short.

Only Six Hours Remain Until The Deadline For Voting

Seventy Five MoFos have turned in ballots so far. I'm still tabulating the votes that have come in but roughly 320 films have received votes. Those are great numbers, but I am confident we can do better.

Make me proud, MoFos. Send in more ballots!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
It's a Silly Symphony (Disney) Short.

I found it. It was Carl Stalling.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...13#post1202213

Born on November 10th:

Carl W. Stalling - Composer, Music Director. He is probably the most famous unknown composer of the 20th century, almost solely based on his work composing musical scores for animated cartoons. He is most closely associated with the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies shorts produced by Warner Bros., where he averaged one complete score each week, for 22 years. In his early 20s, he was conducting his own orchestra and improvising on the organ at the Isis Movie Theatre in Kansas City. During that time, he met and befriended a young Walt Disney who was producing animated comedy shorts in Kansas City. Stalling composed several early cartoon scores for Walt Disney, including "Plane Crazy" and "The Gallopin' Gaucho". In 1929, he spoke Mickey Mouse's first words in "The Karnival Kid". Early discussions with Disney about whether the animation or the musical score should come first led to Disney creating the "Silly Symphonies" series of cartoons. Stalling created the music for Disney's early "Silly Symphonies", including "The Skeleton Dance" in 1929. These cartoons allowed Stalling to create a score that Disney handed to his animators. While there, Stalling pioneered the use of "bar sheets," which allowed musical rhythms to be sketched out simultaneously with storyboards for the animation. In 1936, he was hired by Leon Schlesinger, and he became a full-time cartoon music composer, with full access to the expansive Warner Bros. catalog and musicians. He remained with Warner Bros. until he retired in 1958. In 1978, he received the Winsor McCay Award, which is given to individuals in recognition of lifetime or career contributions in animation at the annual Annie Awards.

Silly Symphony - The Skeleton Dance (1929 Disney Short)

Carl Stalling - Marching Pink Elephants (from the 1940 Looney Tunes short "Calling Dr Porky")

Voting For The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films
List Is Now Closed

No further ballots will be accepted.

It's been a really interesting experience watching this come together and I went to extend a heartfelt thank you to all 79 MoFos who sent in their votes.

The actual countdown will commence on Tuesday afternoon, probably around 4:00 p.m. Pacific Time. In the meantime, I'll be verifying the counts and preparing the first posts.

While we're waiting, I'd like to hear from you all as to what you predict the top 10 will be. Post your predictions while you wait.

Thank you all again and have a wonderful night!

While we're waiting, I'd like to hear from you all as to what you predict the top 10 will be. Post your predictions while you wait.
Clueless prediction in no particular order-

Spirited Away
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Up
Ratatouille
Pinocchio
Toy Story
Toy Story 3
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Beauty and the Beast
Wall-E

I have no idea what is going to be in the top ten, but if its an american animated movie to win this thing, I certainly hope its going to be Fantasia!
Yeah, that was the first and last Disney on my list

I'll take a guess. Here are the films that (I think) will appear in the top 10 (in no particular order):

The Lion King
Spirited Away
Up
Wall-E
The Incredibles
Princess Mononoke
Toy Story
Toy Story 3
Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbor Totoro

Finding Nemo and Ratatouille also have a very good shot.

I'm not really sure how old classics like Pinocchio or Fantasia are rated here (I voted for a few pre-'70s films myself), so I'm not really sure how their chances are. It will be interesting to observe.