Movie Forum Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Here's the results, Guap:

Here is the order of placings:

1. The 400 Blows 113 pts
2. The Straight Story 105 pts
3. The Wind Will Carry Us 92 pts
4. The Swimmer - 91 pts sorry I misspoke when I said it was third.
5. Mary and Max - 87 pts.
6. House - 86 pts
7. Some Like it Hot - 85 pts
7. Nashville - 85 pts
8. The Hedgehog - 82 pts
9. Sex Lies & Videotape - 79 pts
10. Once Were Warriors - 72 points
11. PMMM - 68 points
12. The Insider - 62 points
13. Dr. Zhivago - 50 points

This is my full rankings of everything that I have seen for the Hall Of Fames so far. I wasn't a part of the first so I have not seen The Big Lebowski, American History X, The Producers, and Farewell My Concubine.

Gone Baby Gone
On the Waterfront
Some like it Hot
Psycho
After Hours
House
Purple Rose of Cairo
Mary and Max
The Swimmer
RoboCop
Faces
The Straight Story
The 400 Blows
Nausicaa of the Valley Of the Wind
Memento
The Apartment
Cabaret
The Hedgehog
The Insider
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Duck Soup
Eyes Wide Shut
Dark City
Blithe Spirit
Nashville
Sex, lies, and Videotape
City Lights
Dr. Strangelove
Once Were Warriors
Dr. Zhivago
The Wind Will Carry Us
Stalker
PMMM
Yeah! That only means that my movies were the least accessible among the bunch! Which by implication means I am the coolest.

My top faves ordering for the movies submitted:

1. PMMM
2. Nausicaa
3. Stalker
4. Dr. Strangelove
5. City Lights
6. Eyes Wide Shut
7. Robocop
8. The Apartment
9. Psycho
10. The Straight Story

Only 8 of all movies submitted were in either top 100 favorites lists. Notice that there are a few hundred live action movies that I rate higher than the 60th place in my animated films lists.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Dr. Zhivago did so poorly. I though it would be way higher. The insider is very plain film indeed and PMMM is anime so obviously it wouldn't perform well.
The Insider was last HoF's Primal Fear, the kind of film that people have to check the list to remember why they're one movie short for their rankings

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Did you decide to finish the 3rd Hall of Fame with only about 8 lists?

So how was the ranking for the 3rd one? I would like to know if PMMM did better than Stalker. I also don't know how Nausicaa performed in the 1st one (I know it wasn't in the top 6).
Bluedeed already provided the rankings for you. Thanks blue! I needed up with 11 lists total.

I didn't run the first one as I am sure you remember, but I have everything saved from the second one on and will continue to save everything. Anyone is welcome to this information any time you want it, just ask and I will send it to you.

I need to get back into nominating.
One starts Oct. 1st. I'm not giving as much viewing time as usual and I know you have the wedding and honeymoon going on right then, but if you think you could catch up, I would love to have you back.

If not that one, the one after that should start around Jan. 1st.

Yeah. It would probably be easier for you to catch the Jan. one but if you change your mind you could always give me a nomination before you left.

We have a couple of new people (new to the HoF) joining next time, and I would love to have more. Anyone interested can contact me. My goal is to have as many mofos as possible be apart of this at one time or another.

I also still need someone to do some sort of art piece for The 400 Blows. Don't make me have to do it. I'm not at that level yet.

Oh, I completely forgot to do a write up on it, I'll try to do it tomorrow!

Our third inductee to the Hall of Fame:

The 400 Blows (1959 François Truffaut)

Written by nominator, Pussy Galore

The 400 Blows is one of the first movies of the French new wave and definitely the best I’ve seen so far. The point of the French new wave was to create a more realistic cinema one that shots on location, not in studio, one that have realistic storyline and no Hollywood impossible scenario. What The 400 Blows has that the other French new wave films haven’t is a strong and tragic character non only is it realistic and beautifully shot, but it shows an issue at the time in France (and probably a lot of other place in the world) which is the alienation of children because that the parents didn’t really care for them and were to strict. What makes if even more powerfull is the fact that this movie is autobiographic, Truffaut tried as much as he can to create Antoine Doinel to his image. Just the simple shots of Antoine wandering alone in Paris are so beautiful and emcompasses the essential idea of what the new French cinema wanted to create, a rule less, free cinema and I don’t think it was ever equaled.

It also shows how fragile children can be and how, especially at that time, the adults look at the children were ridiculous Antoine’s alienation is mostly due to the way his parents and his teacher treated him. When he stole the cash register he didn’t do it to have money or anything, it was just an attempt to get his parents attention or even just because he was bored. Truffaut has been a cinephile pretty much all his life, he was then a movie critic for the famous ‘’cahier du cinéma’’ for 6 or 7 years I think. The cahier was renouned to create the idea of the ‘’cinéma d’auteur’’ which was the inspiration for the new wave. In 1959 Truffaut put a lifetime dedicated to film into his own personal story and it’s one of the best movie I’ve ever seen.

I personally though that the kid depicted in the movie was a bit too hardened compared to real children. He appeared like he was made of steel or something. Real children would easily break down in this kind of situation. Though I would be comparing spoiled children from Brazilian upper classes or from modern first world countries to the hardened children who grew up in the hard times of 1950's post-war continental Europe (where living standards were much worse than in the US at the same period). Even in Spirited Away, by comparison, Miyazaki said that Chihiro was a much stronger child than the average Japanese kid of 2001 (which are much more spoiled than French kids from the 1950's).

Another hall of fame has come and gone. Thanks to everyone who participated in this one.

We had some great movies nominated and it was a close race. In fact, due to ties we didn't have a top five, we had a top eight. For the first time ever we had two movies tie in the first place position, so next post I will announce one winner and announce the other when I receive the write-up.

Coming in February the 6th hall of fame will start and in January the first ever documentary hall of fame will happen. If you want to join in either or both of these, pm me or wait until the thread opens and sign in there.

Also the first short film HoF has ended and was a complete success. Look for the winner to be inducted soon.

Here are the nominations for the 4th Hall of Fame:

1. Trouble in Paradise Nominated by bluedeed
by Ernst Lubitsch (1932)

This round's choice is both at odds and in sync with my previous pick. It's another film that relies on subversion and ellipsis to extend the viewer's imagination, and to hint at the taboo. While The Wind Will Carry Us can be seen as a film about sex, there are few other ways of looking at Trouble in Paradise. While both comedies approach the same subject with similar means, the effect is entirely different and I suspect few will see the movies as connected. The Lubitsch film is filled to the brim with effortless as well as labored charm and never misses a beat. Trouble in Paradise is peak Hollywood magic, and there are very few from its time that approach this level of perfection.[/quote]

2. SINGIN' IN THE RAIN
(Directed by Stanley Donen & Gene Kelly, 1952) Nominated by nostromo87

this was pretty hard, to settle on one movie to nominate. after considering an assortment of films covering a wide variety of styles and genres... considered everything from horror- you guys know i have a soft spot for them, to D.W. Griffith, to sprawling David Lean epics, to James Cameron, and others. but didn't take too long before my choice was clearly revealed. for the folks who usually are not into musicals, romance, dance numbers, & all that sort of mushy stuff... i'm generally right there with you. BUT the first time i saw this movie was a reminder to be willing to mix it up. bc hey, maybe it's possible a masterpiece can be made in any of the genres. the story is set in the time when films were transitioning from silents to 'talkies.' it's Gene Kelly at his best as Don Lockwood, Donald O'Connor as well, Jean Hagen as the spectacularly grating Lina Lamont... but especially like Debbie Reynolds as Kathie Seldon. 'I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all.' hope you all enjoy the movie !
[/center]

3. Sansho the Bailiff Kenji Mizoguchi 1954 nominated by Rauld

An absolute gem of a film from Kenji Mizoguchi. It's the story of two children whom are sold into slavery, split literally from their own mother. An absolute tear jerker of a film, filled with so much emotion. The parts that really get me are when Anju hears the slave girl sing the song about her and her brother, which makes her believe her mother is still alive. Also just the generally journey of Zushio, put through so much torture and pain in himself, deciding literally between life, morals, and seeking justice in the base of humanity. Without giving too much away, I must say if you haven't seen this film, even if you aren't a big fan of foreign you have to give this movie a chance. Without joining this forum I believe there is literally no way I would have seen this absolute gem of a film. The ending is absolutely breathtaking, perhaps one of the best endings of any film.

I chose the film because I think it is a film that needs to be seen by all that haven't seen it. If you have seen it, it'd be nice to hear your thoughts on why you appreciate the film.

4. On The Waterfront (1954 Elia Kazan)
Nominated by The Sci-Fi Slob

“On the Waterfront” was nominated for 11 Oscars and won eight. Ironically, the other three nominations were all for best supporting actor, where Cobb, Malden and Steiger split the vote. Today the story no longer seems as fresh; both the fight against corruption and the romance fall well within ancient movie conventions. But the acting and the best dialogue passages have an impact that has not dimmed; it is still possible to feel the power of the film and of Brando and Kazan, who changed American movie acting forever. ~ Roger Ebert

5. Bigger than Life (Nicholas Ray, 1956) Nominated by Frightened Inmate # 2

I saw this movie for the first time earlier this year, and it quickly became one of my favorites. There's such a wicked subversiveness to it as it utterly destroys the typical 50s patriarchal family in a genuinely terrifying way. James Mason gives one of the most intense performances I've ever seen, and possibly my favorite pre-1970 performance ever. The brilliant framing adds so much tension and claustrophobia to the whole thing, and is legitimately haunting. Amazing movie.

6. Sweet Smell of Success (1957) Alexander Mackendrick Nominated by Pussy Galore

I nominate this movie obviously because it's one of my all time favorite. It's the most noir of film noir both in it's message and it's cinematography. The feel of the film almost reminds me of Sin City in it's coldness, but it's not an action film it's a beautifully acted and incredibly well written satire of the corruption that happenned in certain journals in the 50's (I know it's very exagerrated, but Mackendrick is not the only one who was satirizing journalism in the 50's I remember Billy Wilder's Ace in the Hole and there are probably lots of others.) Curtis and Lancaster are so good they inhabit the roles of corrupted moral less men perfectly, it represents, in a certain way, the law of the jungle where the stronger stands tall. I also like that in this one there's no femme fatal, it's a man who plays that role and he doesn't use his body to control the situation, but his power. There are so many great lines it the movie Lancaster saying '' I love this dirty, rotten city '' or '' I wouldn't take a bite of you, you're a cookie full of arsenic Falco '', '' The cat's in the bag and the bag's in the river '', '' To me Mr Hunsecker you're a national disgrace '' and there are many more. I would go in more details, but I don't want to spoil the movie.

7. Yojimbo Akira Kurosawa; 1961 Nominated by jirrafejustin

I am nominating Yojimbo because it's the coolest movie I've ever seen. The dusty streets are the perfect backdrop for the spaghetti western inspiring amounts of killing to be done. And Toshiro Mifune is the man for the job.

I didn't write a whole lot, but I feel like it's a decent teaser.

8. 8½ (Federico Fellini 1964) (nominated by Daniel M.)

A movie that seems to divide an opinion around these parts, but I am not quite sure why. As someone who loves movies and has increasingly become interested in the process behind them, this film contains everything that makes me love movies so much. A fantastic look at not only movies, but life itself, creativity and dreams. To me, the ultimate movie about movies, and I hope many more can enjoy it through the Hall of Fame.

9. Film: Autumn Sonata Nominated by Swan
Director: Ingmar Bergman
Year: 1978

Write-up:

Bergman really mastered his craft in the 70's and a great example of that is Autumn Sonata. Great performances all around and a poignant story about a woman finally confronting her mother about the neglect she had for her and her sister when they were young.

Streaming Link:

http://www.alluc.to/movies/watch-aut...ne/526921.html

10. Primal Fear by Gregory Hoblit 1996 Nominated by Derek

-Why I nominate this movie ?

Simply because in my opinion this is one of the most underrated movie of all time. The acting debut of my favorite actor Edward Norton who give one hell of a great performance ! It's one of the best courtroom drama I've seen and definitely one of the best plot twist ending than i've ever seen.

11. Ed Wood (1994) Nominated by Cobpyth

This is a Tim Burton film (my personal favorite of his) that tells the story of the so-called "worst movie director of all time", Ed Wood. I strongly advice to watch the film Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959) and read a little bit about Ed Wood's career and life first, before watching this film. It truly adds to the experience, in my opinion, because this film is stuffed with clever inside jokes.

I nominated this film, because I think it's a fantastic movie about optimism and the sheer unconditional love for cinema and humanity altogether. Our main character may be the opposite of a perfectionist and many people would say that he plain sucked at what he did, but one thing is for sure: he did it with a great deal of passion, dedication and love and in his own weird way, he was ultimately still able to write film history.

Burton offers us a magical and interesting look behind the scenes of some of the "worst films ever made".
He directs his character with so much warmth and empathy that we can't help but feel connected to them. I can't see how any film lover could not like this film. It's a melancholic, nostalgic, comical, sometimes slightly dramatic and above all, extremely humane piece of filmmaking about chasing dreams and doing what you feel you're destined to do.

I hope the members of the committee will enjoy it as much as I do or will reevaluate it in a positive way after a rewatch!

12. Name: Shōjo Kakumei Utena Aduresensu Mokushiroku (English names commonly used: Adolescence of Utena, Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie) Nominated by Guaporense
Director: Kunihiko Ikuhara
Writer: Yoji Enokido
Year: 1999
Why I nominated it: Characterized by the combination of innovative visuals and creative direction by Ikuhara that resulted in a highly surrealistic lesbian romance film, almost dadaistic in its use of symbolism, and as Ikuhara stated, all interpretations of Utena's symbolism are valid, so let your imagination run wild. This movie's themes are according to my interpretation of it's symbolism are all about the possibility of the triumph of childlike idealism over the cynical and mature. Aggressively imposing in it's use of visuals, it shares some similarities with more famous films but I personally found it to be a highly unique, rich and very weird experience.
Poster:

13. Punch Drunk Love Nominated by Seanc
Paul Thomas Anderson 2002

We have not had a PTA movie nominated yet so I figured I would remedy that. I didn't want to pick one of the three that most seem to love. Not because I don't love them too but because of backlash. Punch Drunk Love has grown in my mind each of the three times I have watched it. It is a little different than other PTA films. It does not have as large of a scope and mostly centers around one person. That one person is Sandler which is also interesting as he is not an actor that many cinephiles love. The score here is also interesting. PTA certainly has interesting scores in all his film but this might be his most heightened.

I know my tastes run a little more main stream than many here and I tend to pick films a lot have already seen. I am hopeful that maybe those who have not watched it yet will find as much to love as I do. Maybe some that may have dismissed it as lesser PTA will give it another look.

14. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ... and Spring nominated by Sane
Director: Kim Ki Duk
Year: 2003

Reason for nomination: This is simply the most beautiful film I have ever seen - both visually and in terms of tone. I happened to see this on TV years ago when I had no experience with "arty" movies and even though I didn't really "get" it I was mesmerised by the images. I have watched it a number of times since and I quite often feel a desire to re-watch it, more so than any other film, because it has a very calming feel to it.

Add to that the fact that Kim Ki Duk is one of my favourite directors and one that can amaze with the beauty of his images and repulse with the violence (though not so much in this film) and you have a movie worthy of the Hall of Fame.

15. Cherry Blossoms (2008) - Doris Dörrie
Nominated by wintertriangles

I've erased this write-up several times now. This film is the most realistic thing I've ever seen (yes, even in the later sections), at least in my experience on the planet, with as many sad, happy, funny, and upsetting moments as the past week. The camera is a shadow dancer. The music is both charming and fake. The dualities are interesting. Mark probably gave it a so you know it's great.[/quote]

16. Synecdoche, New York ( 2008 Charlie Kaufman)
nominated by Godoggo

After watching it for the first time, I was dying to know what others thought about it. I was under the misguided notion that everyone would be talking about and loving this movie. I was surprised that reviews were so mixed among both critics and viewers. For that reason, I was a little hesitant to nominate it, because this movie is so personal and important to me that it is a little rough when people hate it.

I read Ebert's review and I recall him saying something to the effect of this movie being about you. Whoever you are. It is. It's about me and it's about everyone I know.

There are times when I felt like the movie was talking directly to me. Things I needed to hear, (even if I didn't really want to), things that comforted me, and things that woke me the hell up.

The metaphors in Synecdoche may be obvious, but they are no less profound. Is your house on fire and you don't even notice it? Maybe. Possibly. Probably.

That everyone has their own story and everyone is the main character of their own story is nothing new. Kaufman certainly isn't the first one to tell us that and we won't be the last. The way Kaufman tells us though made me get that in a way I never had before. How important all of our stories are and that ego is not thinking that the world revolves around you, but rather expecting other's worlds to revolve around you as well.

This is a movie about life. And like life it's messy, convoluted, painful, funny and pathetic. I hope that those who have watched it and didn't like it will go in with an open mind and if this is your first viewing I hope you will open up yourself to the experience.

The Fourth Inductee to the MoFo Movie Hall of Fame:

Sansho the Bailiff

It is with extreme honor that I am able to present to you the Co-Winner of the 4th Hall of Fame challenge. This movie is unlike any that were inducted before it. Directed by Kenji Mizoguchi, it could be the only film he ever made and it would still make him an absolutely stunning director. I've instantly seen people who immediately have called it a masterpiece, something that doesn't happen all that often. For me, it instantly entered my top 100, and today it would be hard-pressed to deny it a top 50 spot.

Sansho is essentially a movie without any flaws. I know that sounds silly, but I really don't think it has any. The acting is absolutely fantastic and although most of us don't speak Japanese we can no doubt feel the emotion, pain, suffering, joy, and heartache that each and every character in the film has. The film is beautifully shot, and many of the scenes are quite breathtaking.

The family of the main character Zushio are first split apart from his father as he is forced to another piece of land. It isn't taken as a very sad breakup for whatever reason initially as the father promises reconnection. However, Zushio, his mother and his sister Anju are tricked and are split apart from each other in a very disheartening scene, where Mother is taken on a boat and split from her children. The scene literally tears me apart and also makes me think of the parallel between the scene with their father.

Zushio and Anju are taken to a slave camp, and are living their life their growing up as adults. Anju hears another girl who was from where her mother was casted off. She was singing a song about Zushio and Anju, and it brings her to tears as she assumes the creator of the song was her mother. Mizoguchi is but a master in scenes like this as he creates visual poetry to bring out emotions of his characters in a beautiful yet brutally realistic way. One minute it feels like he gives the characters hope while the next is a scene full of anguish and lament to the characters.

We see the characters develop and while they seem like the same people we initially met they go through a lot of personal strife and are tested to the max. The camp seems to get the best out of Zushio, almost to the point where you feel his father philosphies and morals that he had taught him are but on the edge of a cliff and nearly on the brink of extinction.

The characters each have their own representation. Anju is the representation of hope. The dire situation that she and her brother are put in, she manages to believe that the best is still possible and that their is an exit from the hell that they have endured. Without her the story would not be what it is, and she is truly a beautifully written character. She delivers the greatest line in the film when she states no torture can make a dead man speak. Unfortunately, hope can be a dangerous thing and Anju's hope is transferred to Zushio over a very terrible circumstance of sacrifice, perhaps the saddest scene in the film.

The transferred hope is the fact Zushio is free and no longer a slave, and later lives the life and is granted the job that his father once held. He is able to make noble and generous decisions, even wishing that slaves be liberated. However he decides to give it all up to search for his mother.

In one of the most beautiful yet sorrowing endings to a film, Zushio is reunited with his mother. It is a true tearjerker ending, but one of the best endings I have seen to any film.

All in all, Sansho the Bailiff is probably the most emotionally driven film I have ever seen. It is a film that is life impacting, and I think it is a film that is near perfection for what it is trying to be. Glad we could come to an accord with this. ~ Written By Rauldc17

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
This is my HOF comprehensive list ranking, there's a few that are close calls. Sansho has ran up the list after my last viewing.

Gone Baby Gone
On the Waterfront
Sansho the Bailiff
Some like it Hot
Psycho
After Hours
Ed Wood
Trouble in Paradise
Purple Rose of Cairo
Autumn Sonata
Sweet Smell of Success
House