The Videogames Tab

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
Sedai: I always played as an Argonian. Resist disease, resist poison, and water breathing. Can we say badass?
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

A system of cells interlinked
Hmmm, well, not from what I can tell.

Most of the strategy sites claim the Argonian is pretty much unplayable, claiming they are hands down the worst race. I wouldn't know, but that does seem constant on all the sites. I don't recall the reasoning. Resist disease would help, but you can still get vamped, it's just not as easy with that skill in place. A lot of the sites basically say:

Argonian - Do not use for play: Race intended for role play only. Seems whack, but I do see it all over the place.

I will say I can't get enough of this game!

In the Beginning...
Argonians are tough to play. All their attributes are helpful, but they've got rings and garments aplenty that do the same things.

Wood elves are child molester-creepy looking, but they flat out own if played right. My main character is a shadow, and death with a bow.

Orcs are fun, too.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Out of all races, I think my favourite is the Redguard for all round play. Bretons for magic users and Nords/Imperials for combat types. I just can't spend too much time as an Orc without thinking about Lord Rugdumph, and laughing.

Seds - You'll get bloodgrass a few yards into any Plane of Oblivion. Some Mages Guilds have it laying around too, ready to be nicked, and it turns up occasionally in the ingrediant shop in the imperial City.

Proceedeth most urgent-like!

I rolled the game back to before I had slept and cured the vamp disease, so I am back on track in our game. That said, we aren't on a track at all! I have yet to get going on the main quest, and have just delivered the amulet to Jauffre so far. Once we got to Chorral, Alchemy and side-quests became the focus for a bit. We are now hanging around Skingrad (cool town, btw) doing our second Mage Guild recommendation quest.

Sleezy - You are a fan of the bow? I tried using it for a bit with our first attempt at a character, but the creatures would close in really fast, forcing us into melee mode.

Current Quests:

Paranoia
Seeking Your Roots
Separated at Birth
Bleak Flats Cave
Main Quest

So, clearly we get sidetracked easily. I have yet to interact with a gate or Oblivion at all so far. Having too much fun just wandering about!

In the Beginning...
Sleezy - You are a fan of the bow? I tried using it for a bit with our first attempt at a character, but the creatures would close in really fast, forcing us into melee mode.
It works best with high sneak ability. If you sneak, and shoot an enemy that hasn't detected you, more often than not it results in a Critical Hit or one-hit kill (until you start running into the bigger nasties). Plus, bows and arrows can be enchanted, giving your attacks a double magic punch.

You're right about the closing, though, and you get really good at backing up and firing. This is easier on open ground obviously... in caves and ruins, not so much.

Even though we hadn't planned it, our character sneaks a ton. I like to sneak right up behind a baddie and back stab for 6x damage. We started a modified Spellsword, thinking we would weaken enemies from afar with destruction magic and then go all sword and board up close, which works well, but sneaking is so much fun!

In the last few hours, since we have conjuration as a main skill and are trying to make sure we can dump +5 into INT each time we level, we have been summoning creatures as a front line. It almost seems a little cheap, as the game got MUCH easier once we started doing this. On our first two level ups we have dumped +5 into Endurance, Strength and Intelligence. We will rotate Willpower in as we level, as well. It seems like those 4 attributes do the most for our custom class (which is very Spellsword-ish).

What level are you? I'm only asking because the Oblivion Plane creatures get a lot more difficult at higher levels for characters who aren't armoured like a tank so it might be useful to at least break the back of the main story. Sigel stones can help you create some cool enchanted weapons and armour too.

I honestly dunno how many hundreds of hours I've put into this flippin' game in the last 3 years. I've got the GOTY in all formats and just as I thought I'd got it out of my system on PC then PS3 I got an XBox and felt compelled to do everything again for the e-penis acchievements.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Hmmm, well, not from what I can tell.

Most of the strategy sites claim the Argonian is pretty much unplayable, claiming they are hands down the worst race. I wouldn't know, but that does seem constant on all the sites. I don't recall the reasoning. Resist disease would help, but you can still get vamped, it's just not as easy with that skill in place. A lot of the sites basically say:

Argonian - Do not use for play: Race intended for role play only. Seems whack, but I do see it all over the place.

I will say I can't get enough of this game!
Aren't argonians immune to vampirism and can breathe underwater? As far as I know those are the only racial benefits.

I also am playing a dark elf because of the resistance to fire.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Aren't argonians immune to vampirism and can breathe underwater? As far as I know those are the only racial benefits.

I also am playing a dark elf because of the resistance to fire.
From the Oblivion site:

"Similar to Astral Vapors, Porphyric Hemophilia ignores disease resistance as well "

So, All races can be vamped, as vampirism seems to completely ignore resist disease.

Dark Elf! I am liking the Dark Elf so far.

Taccy - We are just but level 3 at the moment (we started over Saturday night). We spend a lot of time admiring lakes and stuff. Still in that initial jaw on the floor stage with the game. We have also been experimenting a lot with various tasks and skills, making potions, fixing armor etc.

As a sort of custom Spellsword, we use mostly heavy armor, except the shoes, which make sneaking super tough when we have to do it. We change shoes a lot. So I think we will be OK in Oblivion when we do get there.

We are still noobs, so we probably suck.

BTW, by we I mean LT and I , as we share the character and play together all the time.

When you hit level 5 you'll start to encounter the higher levelled creatures so you're fine for a bit yet. I don't usually start the Oblivion Planes before level 5 anyway because the low-level Sigil stones aren't that powerful and you get some better loot on bodies.

Have you got the original edition or the GOTY? The Shivering Isles expansion is, I think, fantastic - the best of the DLC by far and has enough content to be a full game for some companies. It also addresses one of the complaints about Oblivion - that the setting is a bit generic and not quite as interesting as Morrowind. It's well worth the 2000 or so MS Points.

I'm really gonna have to sit down and devote time to some of the games I've bought recently. I seem to get sidetracked/bored far too easily these days...

I bought the GOTY edition, Shivering Isles intact!

Generic setting or not, I love hanging around in the world, exploring and such. We traveled a bit north of Skingrad to do a quest, and there was a little glade with a pond, butterflies, and the weird obelisk with runes on it that said I wasn't famous enough to use yet. The whole area looked just fantastic. I popped round into a small cave to start the quest, and some rather nasty zombies started smashing me. Man, they were TOUGH. Much tougher than any of the creatures I have run into so far. They seemed to be higher level than I had encountered so far... I had to run.

Oh, the moons! I love the dual moons.

Good to hear. Knights of the Nine is pretty decent as well.

If you like the night sky in Cyrodiil then wait til you get to the Shivering Isles - You're right about the scenery too, sometimes it's just worth stopping for a few minutes to admire the view. Lord knows what TES V will be like? I'm sure they're storyboarding (or whatever they do) now that Fallout 3 is done and dusted. And patched.

Yeah, it's an a tiny little bit of land in a lake in the south east area of the map. Just look around there for it, and you'll see it. I don't think there are any special requirements to start it.

You should have some notes in your quest log about a strange door opening in the Niben Bay. If you highlight the passage it'll place a red arrow on your map (just off the coast from Bravil).

You can go back and forward to the Shivering Isles at any time and it doesn't affect any other quests.

For Knights of the Nine you'll need to be in Anvil and explore some of the dialogue options about the attack on Anvil Chapel.

Ah ok. I have yet to get up to Anvil. Oh, I am so close to being able to go play! Just a little while longer!

I have to get rid of some ice on my walkway when I get home, and then it's game time!

In the Beginning...
Yeah, it's an entrance that looks like a big head with its mouth open, on a tiny island on the lake. But I would advise that you at least pay a passing visit to Sheogorath's Shrine (somewhere north of Leyawin along the west boundary), just to get a flavor of what you are in for.

Also, when you are stout enough, there's an unspoken miscellaneous quest up in the great north that you shouldn't pass up, especially if you're a fan of Beowulf (the epic, not the atrocious movie).

There is no quest trigger or anything, but if you head up northeast to places only higher level characters can reach, you'll come across Lookout Rock, which is the most spectacular view in the game. On that rock, there is a small campsite with a journal nearby. That should get you started.

Oh, and on the subject of leveling your character, you can only level up when you sleep. And since you choose to sleep, you can maintain a lower level for a long while, which is helpful in getting yourself situated without much fear.

HINT: When fighting in caves, ruins, etc., if you get injured badly, try backtracking to a place where no enemies are nearby and then "Wait" for an hour (see controls for how to "wait"). This will replenish all your health, magic, stamina, etc... and you won't even have to use a potion or spell.

Man, I need to get off work so I can go home and fire up Oblivion. There's got to be one or two quests I haven't done yet.

Ha, yeah, I have been using that lil wait feature a lot. I just discovered it yesterday while waiting for the sun to go down. I was at very low health and waited a short while, maybe two hours, and I was all healed up. It was dark then too, so I didn't catch on fire.