Old Movies

Tools    

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I sometimes find it hard to watch longer movies made before around 1930
The group I find most boring to watch is mainstream post 2000. Intensified continuity editing takes away most everything visually interesting about the films.

I don't prefer to watch most of the "old" movies.They have aged badly.That being said some "old" movies are fantastic.

I don't think 1998 is old though

I don't prefer to watch most of the "old" movies.They have aged badly.That being said some "old" movies are fantastic.

I don't think 1998 is old though
I like the whole "they have aged badly" all (or most) of old movies have aged badly. Spoken like someone with little experience with old movies.

Huh? Missed my point.
Been known to happen. It was late.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Is it just me or does anyone else find it hard to watch a movie that was made before the year 1998?
Movies from the sixties and seventies, maybe, but I even enjoy many of those movies, I'd say, the movies that I find "hard" to watch, are movies like Spawn. Movies that didn't work around the technological inefficiencies of its time, and ended up cranking out complete ****. A Nightmare on Elm Street did it a couple of times too. (I remember something to do with a three-headed serpent, I can't remember exactly.)

What does it mean "hard to watch"? Do you dislike all pre-1998 movies?Or you are so absolutely bored? Well,anyway,if it's hard then don't watch it,although if you like movies,you'll be missing lots of great ones.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Is it just me or does anyone else find it hard to watch a movie that was made before the year 1998?
Your not a movie fan then. Simple as that. I am baffled at your statement being completely honest.

Your not a movie fan then.
You don't have to like classics to be a film fan.Well,yes,maybe you should watch them but still.If you love 10 modern bands and you listen to it 24/7 yet you've never heard Beethoven,aren't you a music fan anyway?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
You don't have to like classics to be a film fan.Well,yes,maybe you should watch them but still.If you love 10 modern bands and you listen to it 24/7 yet you've never heard Beethoven,aren't you a music fan anyway?
I am, but an ignorant one. And not a person with a lot of knowledge about music neither.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
If snake comes back, hopefully he'll explain better what he means, although I'm dubious about it now.

I think age plays a part in this. As an 18 year old, I don't really know anyone personally around my age who would take the time to watch movies that were released before we were born. (Obviously, there are awesome MoFos on here, but they don't count )

I think that once you get older, and start realizing that big budget explosion filled movies like the Transformers series are just wastes of time, it'll be easier to go back and check out some really thought-provoking oldies.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

I think age plays a part in this. As an 18 year old, I don't really know anyone personally around my age who would take the time to watch movies that were released before we were born. (Obviously, there are awesome MoFos on here, but they don't count )
For an average viewer maybe, someone not interested in movies besides passing time or cheap entertainment. But if you explore more than what's directly available at the multiplex, odds are you'll find many movies from all eras that connect with you. I'm 20 and my favorite decade of film is 1950, which has no correlation with my age, but rather my interests and worldview.

Plenty of 90s movies still appeal to even the most casual (you know what I mean) of film viewers. '94 has Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption, and like them are not they are three of the most loved 'popular' movies around, all easy to watch and hard to notice they are that old either.

I am, but an ignorant one. And not a person with a lot of knowledge about music neither.
I can agree,well said.

Damn...you've got to be kidding. Different times and genres open up your brain to different experiences in film. There have been great movies all the way back and if you stick to post 1998, it's like living in a big city and never going more than 5 blocks from home; you're missing a lot of the best.

As a matter of loosening the brain crystals, I suggest locating a theater that shows foreign and indie films, hitting the web and dvd bins and finding classics and then just forcing yourself to watch them until the language of movies from other periods, formats, budgets and places begins to make sense. Your movie world will become vastly bigger and much more enjoyable.

I like the whole "they have aged badly" all (or most) of old movies have aged badly. Spoken like someone with little experience with old movies.
Dude.I watch movies to be entertained and most of the movies of 70's and 80's have aged badly.Reading your post that you are a 20 year kid who loves the 50's movies,I think you are extremely odd