Which Film Will Win The MoFo Movie Tournament?

Tools    

Which film will win the MoFo Movie Tournament?
29.03%
9 votes
The Empire Strikes Back
3.23%
1 votes
Dr. Strangelove
9.68%
3 votes
Rear Window
6.45%
2 votes
Persona
6.45%
2 votes
Jaws
3.23%
1 votes
Up
0%
0 votes
The Battle of Algiers
0%
0 votes
Aguirre, The Wrath of God
16.13%
5 votes
GoodFellas
3.23%
1 votes
Paths of Glory
22.58%
7 votes
2001: A Space Odyssey
0%
0 votes
Night and Fog
31 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I think Aguirre would be a pretty intriguing winner. So would Night and Fog, if 2001 hadn't beat the snot out of it last round

But I'll have to see Paths of Glory. Not big on war movies, but hey, it's Kubrick. I'm hoping for Space Odyssey and GoodFellas in the final, which at this point seems pretty likely.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Why are there a group of newer members who keep saying they're not big on war movies? What's the problem with war movies? I realize that most people don't like war, but it's a fact of life and it certainly makes for high drama and suspense. Paths of Glory is certainly a war movie but it's much more than that. It looks at a war where the officers act more like politicians, battle agianst each other and use the common soldier to move up the ladder of power and authority. It's also certainly Kubrick's most-humanistic film. Anyway, sorry to those who don't lke war movies and westerns too since I grew up loving adventure films, and those were the two most popular types of adventure films, long before every other movie was based on super heroes and comic books.

I never really had a problem with the theme, but they just never did much for me, entertainment wise

A mystery of my cinephilia, I guess

Hmm... Stripes, First Blood Part II, and Heartbreak Ridge come to mind.
That's it? You need to go to school, War Film School.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I'll check it out. I've got David Lean's Lawrence of Arabia on DVR as well, I have yet to see it
Another one of my favourites. Can't wait for the Blu-ray, which I expect is coming next year for its 50th anniversary.

I have certain war films and westerns I enjoy and admire but on the whole they just don't do much for me. Neither genre has ever been my first pick, though oddly I do keep my eye out for horror film hybrids.

Shrug.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Quick note on 2001, total garbage. I can make a movie with no meaning and a lot of nothing happening and tell people I'm a genius and they'll find symbolism in it. You can read in to anything; that doesn't mean anything was there in the first place.

(I'm not checking back for pretentious artsy replies to this comment)
I will f*cking kill you.

Why are there a group of newer members who keep saying they're not big on war movies? What's the problem with war movies? I realize that most people don't like war, but it's a fact of life and it certainly makes for high drama and suspense.
I don't think it's got anything to do with people not liking war. Maybe it's a generational thing, certainly war films 'feel' old fashioned to me and, as Hitch and others have said, they don't do anything for me. I like these newcomers agreeing with me. Y'see, I'm not odd or weird, I'm just the rubber duck.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Lol any recommendations besides Paths of Glory (or Full Metal Jacket)?
Besides ones mentioned:

Come and See
Glory
The Train
The Best of Enemies
King and Country
The Guns of Navarone
Where Eagles Dare
The Dirty Dozen
Saving Private Ryan
Patton
MASH
Murphy's War
The Blue Max
All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
Wings
Hell's Angels
Grand Illusion
Zulu
Joyeux Noel
King Rat
The Great Escape
Von Ryan's Express
Kelly's Heroes
The Dambusters
Operation Crossbow
The Thin Red Line (1964 and 1998)
The Deer Hunter
Hell in the Pacific
The Big Red One
The Caine Mutiny
The Bedford Incident
The Enemy Below
Downfall

A few add-ons, but I'm stopping since this really belongs elsewhere.

Fires on the Plain
The Burmese Harp
The Shop on Main Street
Europa Europa
The Last Days of Sophie Scholl
The African Queen
Empire of the Sun
Schindler's List
The Pianist
Letters From Iwo Jima
Inglourious Basterds

There are many more, and others which are of much older wars.