The Lone Ranger, gets stranger

Tools    

Several entertainment news outlets are reporting today that Gore Verbinski has officially signed on to direct Disney's Lone Ranger film.

Semper Fooey
Lone Ranger is boring. He never fought a super villain. And he didn't mess with girls. Never took off the mask. And he had that Indian companion (we know what that means).

Here is what they should do, make Tonto Tanta, a sexy squaw.

Lone Ranger is boring. He never fought a super villain. And he didn't mess with girls. Never took off the mask. And he had that Indian companion (we know what that means).

Here is what they should do, make Tonto Tanta, a sexy squaw.
Back when Sony had the Lone Ranger film rights they were planning to make Tonto a woman.

The Lone Ranger is the epitome of a hero. He has a strict moral code that he adheres to. He never does anything that crosses the line of decency. He is a hero children can look up to and their parents can approve of. He fights bad guys of all varieties and ensures that justice is meted out by the legal system. He is patriotic. He fights for the greater good.

Yeah, I guess a lot of people consider that boring. But I don't. The Lone Ranger is my all time favorite hero, and I'm glad that my children also enjoy the character. I just hope they don't screw this up.

For those who were curious...

THE LONE RANGER CREED

"I believe...

That to have a friend,
a man must be one.

That all men are created equal
and that everyone has within himself
the power to make this a better world.

That God put the firewood there
but that every man
must gather and light it himself.

In being prepared
physically, mentally, and morally
to fight when necessary
for that which is right.

That a man should make the most
of what equipment he has.

That 'This government,
of the people, by the people
and for the people'
shall live always.

That men should live by
the rule of what is best
for the greatest number.

That sooner or later...
somewhere...somehow...
we must settle with the world
and make payment for what we have taken.

That all things change but truth,
and that truth alone, lives on forever.

In my Creator, my country, my fellow man."

I'm in the minority on this one but I liked the Legend of the Lone Ranger that came out in 81. It didn't do well at the box office.

We're both in the minority because I liked it too. It wasn't great, but it wasn't near as bad as its reputation. I still think the biggest issue the film had was that the producers barred Clayton Moore from wearing the Lone Ranger mask in personal appearances. That turned off the majority of the fan base who might have gone to see the film.

Semper Fooey
The star acting like a frat brat during filming and being so bad an actor they dubbed his voice didn't help.

The star acting like a frat brat during filming and being so bad an actor they dubbed his voice didn't help.
True, though I don't know as the dubbing had as much to do with his ability as it did with the fact he didn't have a very "heroic" voice. But this was his only movie, so that tells you something. I still find it funny he said his performance would make people forget Clayton Moore, but in the end barely anyone remembers his performance.

Johnny Depp wants Brad Pitt for Lone Ranger

According to this NY Post article, Johnny Depp has suggested Brad Pitt be cast as the Lone Ranger in the new film. He also says the much rumored George Clooney would be a good choice. If either of those choices come to fruition, I'm out. Both can give good performances, but neither of them should be the Lone Ranger, IMO. I'm barely ok with Depp being Tonto.

Semper Fooey
I don't have a problem with them as the Ranger, it's Johnny Depp as Tonto. He is not Indian, doesn't look Indian, and will be clowning it up because you don't hire Depp to play a secondary role.

Clooney is a little old to play the Ranger unless they are going to skip the origin (or do it in quick flasback). Pitt is almost too old, but can get by.

This seems like a really weird idea, but I'm willing to wait and see what happenes. I know that before Pirates of the Caribbean came out, I thought that was a really weird idea too.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Hope it's good. First Deadwood, then Red Dead Redemption, now if this movie is good, the Western genre could very well be back!

I don't have a problem with them as the Ranger, it's Johnny Depp as Tonto. He is not Indian, doesn't look Indian, and will be clowning it up because you don't hire Depp to play a secondary role.

Clooney is a little old to play the Ranger unless they are going to skip the origin (or do it in quick flasback). Pitt is almost too old, but can get by.
Johnny Depp actually does have Cherokee in him. Brad Pitt would ruin this for me. I'm so excited but only if Clooney is the Lone Ranger. We need an aging action star like the good old days. I actually just happen to mention this in passing on my own movie site yesterday. Didn't even know any movement was going on with it.

P.S. - Love the b&w logo.

I don't mind an aging action hero (i.e. Bruce Willis), but I'd prefer if the Lone Ranger was younger, especially given that this will be the origin story. Not my call, though.

If anyone is interested, there are 2 new DVDs of the Clayton Moore-era Lone Ranger coming April 19. One will be a 10-episode compilation of the TV series and the other will be a double feature of the two feature films.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Lon...pilation/14909

Gore Verbinski recently spoke to ComingSoon.net, revealing an expected, but much unwanted (by longtime Lone Ranger fans at least), tidbit regarding the new Lone Ranger film.

Gore Verbinski Interview

Originally Posted by ComingSoon.net
The director spoke exclusively this morning with ComingSoon.net and, while we'll have the full interview available soon, he offered updates on a few future projects, chiefly another highly anticipated Johnny Depp team-up, The Lone Ranger.

"It's sort of 'Don Quixote' told from Sancho Panza's point of view," said Verbinski of the Justin Haythe script, indicating that Depp's Tonto will actually be the main character, "...But it's coming along really great...[It] wouldn't shoot until next year, probably, because Johnny's doing 'Dark Shadows.'"
All I can say is... NOOOOOOOOO!!!

Semper Fooey
It sounds like a suck. If they want to do Man of la Mancha in the Old West, fine, but don't call him the Lone Ranger.