Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I just went to check who was directing the Flatliners film coming out in a couple of months (since I knew it wasn't him but couldn't remember who it actually was) and noticed that the Wikipedia description lists it as a sequel. When I saw the trailer, I honestly thought it was a remake.

While I haven't really liked any of the fiilms I've seen from Singh, he does have a really nice visual style, so I wouldn't mind him being in charge since the current Flatliners sequel looks very bland.
Same thing happened to me when I looked at Wikipedia to help with my review. Thought it was a remake.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
The Haunting -

There's something about seeing an effective pre-1970 horror movie that's just so rewarding.

This might just do nobody any good.
The Revenant (2015)

Apocalypse Now (1979)

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

Christine (2016)

Thief (1980)

War of the Planet of the Apes (2017)

1984 (1984)

Mother (2009)

Star Wars: Rogue One (2016)

Sleepaway Camp II (1988)

As a big fan of the first, this was a massive disappointment. It's more an unfunny spoof than a serious horror film. I will not be continuing with the series.

Sleepaway Camp II (1988)

As a big fan of the first, this was a massive disappointment. It's more an unfunny spoof than a serious horror film. I will not be continuing with the series.
This is my favourite entry. I hate the first film, this one had a little more fun with the subject matter and the kills were more entertaining. You're not missing anything with the third.

“I was cured, all right!”

John Wick Chapter 2
++ An excellent follow-up/continuation of the John Wick story. Top rate action, some pretty glorious film work and, while not necessarily original, an entertaining story line that has me INCREDIBLY curious to see Chapter 3

Hell yeah!
The best action film of the year so far.

Deepwater Horizon

(Peter Berg)

The second of three films in which Berg and Wahlberg recreate tragic American history, the other two being Lone Survivor and Patriot's Day. Something about these two guys working together brings out the inner American, where we rally behind them and cheer USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!.

The Deepwater Horizon is a oil drilling rig, drilling off the southern coast of Louisiana on a contract with BP. Workers assigned to test a certain aspect of the drilling site are leaving early and both Wahlberg and Kurt Russell question why. They find out that BP managers are behind it because they want to drill immediately, due to the team being so many days behind schedule. As we all know, things don't go so well for the gentlemen and a massive eruption cripples the drilling station, setting off massive explosions and killing those near it. Now these men and women must fight for survival.

When the BP oil spill happened, all I knew about was the millions upon millions of gallons of oil being spilled into the gulf. Thousands of wildlife dead, homes to them destroyed and the entire act being called the worst environmental disaster in American history. I did not hear about any deaths among the oil drilling rig. So when this film came out, I was asking myself, is this a fictionalized event about the incident? Yes and no. These people did exist, these people did die and I finally have another side to the story.

Wahlberg plays the hero, getting people to safety while battling the wild fire that takes over the entire rig. Expect the same old from him, he does his job adequately here. Russell is in charge and instantly has conflict with the BP managers, played by a sleazy John Malkovich. The BP guys are instantly painted as the bad guys here, they wanted to make money, they didn't know what they were doing. Kate Hudson has the thankless role of concerned wife on the phone. The film is more concerned with spectacle than character. I suspect those wanting to see this are okay with that?

The special effects work well enough to make you believe these people are in danger. The film is a lot of build up to the event, then when it happens, I couldn't help but feel that it sped by quickly and they were off the rig. Berg crafts a suspenseful sequence building up to the chaos and when it hits the fan, it's an intense scene. Well staged and brought to life. I applaud the look of the film, as it didn't feel fake in any of the scenes. The sense of danger was always there.

As was Lone Survivor and I'm sure Patriot's Day, this film is pro-America. There is a particular shot of the American flag blowing in the wind with the rig engulfed in flames directly behind it. The silhouette of a man stands in front watching in horror, tears down his face. Too much? Yes. Berg definitely tries to tug at the patriotic heartstrings here by having 'everyday Americans' on board, but we all know Mark Wahlberg ain't no everyday American. So the emotional aspect loses the spark and the film deflates even further into what I mentioned earlier, this film is all spectacle, no character.

This is my favourite entry. I hate the first film, this one had a little more fun with the subject matter and the kills were more entertaining. You're not missing anything with the third.
Haven't seen any of them but i actually remember there being controversy in this thread when Redwell (i'm almost positive it was him) said he preferred the sequels over the original. So it's funny you bring that up.

Unless i'm mixing it up with another slasher series which is entirely possible.

Haven't seen any of them but i actually remember there being controversy in this thread when Redwell (i'm almost positive it was him) said he preferred the sequels over the original. So it's funny you bring that up.

Unless i'm mixing it up with another slasher series which is entirely possible.

I'm surprised at the amount of love the original gets. It's a straight up terrible movie. The sequels are fun in their own stupidity.

Chaos Theory

(Marcos Siega)

It is extremely hard to be able to blend two different genres together and pull it off. Hot Fuzz did it with action & comedy, Evil Dead II did it with horror & comedy. Now here comes Chaos Theory, which tries to do the same blending of genres, this time it's drama & comedy, but Chaos Theory goes heavier on the drama, which took me by surprise.

It's a story about a man who is so obsessed with time that he has to make sure every part of his day follows a specific routine, which he has timed out on small cue cards. Something 'chaotic' happens and his life is turned upside down. He now lives his life in the moment. What I didn't expect was that the so called 'chaotic' thing that happens, was actually a heart-breaking moment that I would never wish upon anybody.

Chaos Theory does have some comedic elements in it, but it's mostly a drama. Those little comedic moments are so out of place, yet oddly, I still laughed at them. Which made watching this movie an awkward experience. The cast includes Ryan Reynolds and Stuart Townsend. Reynolds is known for his comedy, but he pulls off a good dramatic role here, but doesn't quite hold the entire film together. Townsend plays his role at certain points at two polar opposites of the spectrum. A revelation happens to his character and the second half of the film he's completely different. I enjoyed his second half more because he became more likable and he actually had more to work with.

The cast do what they can to hold this conventional film together, they don't quite manager to pull it off. The film definitely wants you to let go of the organizational aspects of life and live a little. Enjoy things outside of your routine. A good message, in an average film.

Welcome to the human race...
If I didn't know any better, I'd swear that Suspect was gunning for the #1 reviewer spot since the reigning champion is on indefinite hiatus.

Last movie watched...

Jiro Dreams of Sushi -

something something Iro Dreams of Sushi

(they can't all be zingers)

“I was cured, all right!”

During the 50's to 60's we had a lot of Yakuza flicks directed by a lot of great directors like Seijun suzuki, Kiyoshi Saeki, Masahiro Shinoda and many others, this genre started to change after Kinji Fukasaku appeared with his raw vision of the yakuza, then a new wave of directors appeared and the yakuza genre become more violent, more about the mans than the yakuza itself, in middle 80's the japanese public was dominated by womans that used to choose the films (like Orson Welles said that the US was in the 30's and 40's), so of course yakuza films wasn't popular anymore, (Tarantino said that Dog movies and romance movies was the big films in the 90's in Japan) then Takeshi Kitano appeared with Sonatine in 1993! This guy alone, brought the Yakuza films back with his own vision, He put together the Ninkyo eiga style (50's and 60's yakuza flicks) and the Jitsuroku eiga (70's and 80's) and created something unique. This wasn't a simple brutal tale about the Yakuza Code or about that violent world. This film is more about how the human being in constant contact with the violence ends up making this brutality a futile thing, Kitano films the violence in a stylized way, showing us in a very caricature way all the brutality of a shootout. It's incredible how he manages to extract beauty from the extreme, this movie had a moderate success in Japan but with the international success of HANA-BI in 1998 (Golden Lion in Venice Film Festival), Sonatine was revisited by many critics and finally reached the status it deserved , A masterpiece!
I strongly recommend to any movie lover! One of my favorites of all time!
The way he plays with the camera, the way he shows violence and humor almost at the same time, the silence, the hypnotic soundtrack by Joe Hisaishi (Spirited Away and many others Studio Ghibli's works)! A must watch!

Sleepaway Camp II (1988)

The second is the worst of the series.

I'm not the least bit of interested in the Sleepaway Camp franchise or whatever, but I have never seen everybody be so split... the first is the worst, but cricket loves it and hated the sequel, but Suspect loves it etc etc

Kinda makes me want to watch them a little tiny small bit now.

Despite The Falling Snow (2016)

Rebecca Ferguson is gorgeous. That's all I got.

Paterson (2016) by Jim Jarmusch

With Paterson, Jarmusch, has made a very reflective, poignant and meditative movie with everyday life in the rust belt as a focal point. The attitude in this film diverts from mainstream (Hollywood) cinema in the sense that it takes it time to be reflexive in everyday life without the big turning points, climaxes or action scenes. The aspect that it actually takes time to think and to sense is the force of Jarmusch's pictures and from an existentialist viewpoint it is the force of many independent pictures. The reflexive attitude towards film, life and the experience of being in the world is what makes me want to divulge in movies and what makes this a picture worth seeing.

On a side note, it reminded me of one of Jarmusch's older pictures Mystery Train which also has a really reflexive attitude towards being in this world.

+