The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Yay, another entry from my list!

Die Hard is easily my favorite action film, and one of my favorite films, period. Had it at #16 on my list. Love everything about it, from the great action setpieces and the snappy script, to the genre-defining performances from Willis and Rickman.

I'm currently preparing a special episode for my podcast on the film, but in the meantime, I leave you with something I wrote on the film years ago (click here) and a link to a podcast where I guest starred a couple of weeks ago, where we talked about the film (click here), in case you want to hear me rambling about it.

As for Singin' in the Rain, I saw it for the first time a couple of years ago and liked it a lot. It's a spectacle and it excels in that. One thing is that as iconic as the titular dance/musical number is, I prefer the "Moses Supposes" bit, with Kelly and Donald O'Connor. I think I give a bit of an edge to An American in Paris, as far as musicals from the era go, but it's close. However, I never considered either for my list.

My Summary:

Seen: 29/38
My list: 2/25

My list:
7. Mulholland Drive
16. Die Hard

OK, I have to ask:
Is there significance to the limo driver being named Argyle? Since it's a kind of sock, McClane spends most of the movie barefoot and he saves the day, it makes you wonder.

Singing In The Rain has two fantastic musical numbers but the rest of the movie doesn't do anything for me.

Haven't seen Die Hard since I was sneaking over to my neighbors to watch all the rated R action movies my parents wouldn't let me see yet. Die Hard isn't a movie I have ever loved or had any real desire to revisit, but I definitely should eventually.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
"Singin' in the Rain" is the only musical I didn't turn off, because it was kinda metaphysical, and did a good job with the shallowness of Hollywood. I just tried to ignore the music part - probably took a leak, got food, something. It's not just the music, but the loud flamboyance that bugs me. I watched it alone, but I actually get embarrassed when someone breaks into a song out of the blue. I don't like happy music, either.. I think I gave it a 6.5/10

I fell asleep after 15 minutes of "Die Hard".. I was also bored out of my mind. I don't ever plan on revisiting that again.

Die Hard, didn't vote for it this time around, but it has been in my top 50 since 1988, great to see it show up today of all days!

Yippee-ki-yay, good job mofos!

Since I watched it yesterday and my memory is still vivid, here are some reasons why Die Hard is an awesome action film:

- It introduced a new archetype to the action movie genre: a vulnerable, ordinary hero with realistic proportions who overcame adversity through his wit and self-deprecating humor.
- Features a memorable villain who is not only charismatic, but is also capable enough to outsmart our hero, which leads to an extremely nail-biting scene in the film's second half.
- McTiernan's direction. You usually don't notice good directing in an action movie, but it's clear how skilled McTiernan is in establishing scenes and piecing together shots that create coherence, not disarray. Despite a lot going on in this film, I'm never lost.
- Fast, efficient exposition. Within 10 minutes, we know everything we need to know about our hero, John McClane –– why he's here, who he is, and what matters to him most.
- A supporting cast that serves a purpose rather than to stand around and serve as backdrops for the ongoing action. Everyone has his/her defining moment, from the empathetic but firm officer Powell to the wise-crackin' limo driver Argyle. It's not easy to balance these many characters and their respective arcs, and yet, Die Hard executes them flawlessly. You could say the conclusion to Powell's redemption arc is a bit unnecessary, but by that point I was so enamored I really didn't care. Absolute classic. Also, Merry Christmas MoFo!
You've put this into words more eloquently than I did.

Singin' In The Rain is rightfully iconic and fully deserves to be on a list such as this, the music and choreography really are top drawer imo.

Talking of iconic, so is Die Hard - a very re-watchable romp with Willis and Rickman making it a whole lot of fun.

Seen: 31/38 (Own: 12/38)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
62. The Maltese Falcon (1941)
61. Tengoku to jigoku (1963)

Singin' in the Rain was #10 on the MoFo '50 List while Die Hard was #8 on the MoFo '80s List. Moses supposes his toeses is roses, but Moses supposes yippee-kai-yay, Mutherfoers.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Both excellent additions to the list, but non featured in mine.

I am not a fan of musicals, but I can make an exception for few like Sound of Music, Once, Hard days night, Fiddler on the Roof and Singing in the Rain. The last is a visual treat.

Die Hard is a movie you can never get tired of. Both @Gatsby and @Deschain raise good points. Die Hard is a smart movie with an excellent villain and a support cast that matters. The last bit is rare in movies, where the villain's henchmen are not expendable pawns.
By the way, it also has a very likeable sidekick too.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I watched a Netflix documentary about Die Hard a few weeks back, one part of a series about several films but that's the only one I watched so far, it was crap but it contained a few interesting nuggets.

When trailers went out for Die Hard, audiences laughed at Bruce Willis and the idea of him as an action star due to Moonlight(TV comedy series) and some crappy rom com from the year before, the studio was so worried they removed him from the iconic poster, so it was just a picture of the tower. Then just after release audiences loved it so much they quickly put him back on the poster. I guess it would be like a trailer for an action movie with Will Ferrell, we'd all be like wtf??!!

They only had one take to do the Helicopter flight through the buildings due to safety/city regs so they had to nail it.

The stunt guy falling down the elevator shaft was an accident (he was fine), I think he was supposed to catch one of the earlier gaps just like McLane, but the shot was so good they kept it.

Alan Rickman's reaction to falling was real, because they dropped him from the rig earlier than they said they would and he was really nervous and not too happy about it, but it worked beautifully!

At the beginning when the bad guys stroll out the truck, they forgot that there was supposed to be an ambulance in there but it was too late to fix it, they figured **** it no one will notice or at least not at first. I certainly never did.

Not to mention all the chaos behind the scenes, sackings, re-writes, long list of actors who refused the main part etc. It's interesting to hear what goes into the mix of a legendary movie like this.

The documentary was called "Movies That Made Us".

Oh, and I just finished watching the actual film an hour ago, Merry Xmas MoFos!

I watched a Netflix documentary about Die Hard a few weeks back, one part of a series about several films but that's the only one I watched so far, it was crap but it contained a few interesting nuggets.

When trailers went out for Die Hard, audiences laughed at Bruce Willis and the idea of him as an action star due to Moonlight(TV comedy series) and some crappy rom com from the year before, the studio was so worried they removed him from the iconic poster, so it was just a picture of the tower. Then just after release audiences loved it so much they quickly put him back on the poster. I guess it would be like a trailer for an action movie with Will Ferrell, we'd all be like wtf??!!

They only had one take to do the Helicopter flight through the buildings due to safety/city regs so they had to nail it.

The stunt guy falling down the elevator shaft was an accident (he was fine), I think he was supposed to catch one of the earlier gaps just like McLane, but the shot was so good they kept it.

Alan Rickman's reaction to falling was real, because they dropped him from the rig earlier than they said they would and he was really nervous and not too happy about it, but it worked beautifully!

At the beginning when the bad guys stroll out the truck, they forgot that there was supposed to be an ambulance in there but it was too late to fix it, they figured **** it no one will notice or at least not at first. I certainly never did.

Not to mention all the chaos behind the scenes, sackings, re-writes, long list of actors who refused the main part etc. It's interesting to hear what goes into the mix of a legendary movie like this.

The documentary was called "Movies That Made Us".

Oh, and I just finished watching the actual film an hour ago, Merry Xmas MoFos!
One thing I remember from the movie is when McClane is watching Sgt Powell driving and he makes a Stevie Wonder joke... a couple minutes later Powell is under fire, and you see Argyll in the Limo, listening to Stevie Wonder

One thing I remember from the movie is when McClane is watching Sgt Powell driving and he makes a Stevie Wonder joke... a couple minutes later Powell is under fire, and you see Argyll in the Limo, listening to Stevie Wonder
Every day's a school day! I never spotted that either, can't remember if the doc mentioned it.

You seen the goof when Willis is swinging the chair at the window?
Same scene as the one I just mentioned with Powell driving like Stevie Wonder ^^

Willis swings the chair at the glass, and the chair disintegrates in his hands.
McTiernan shouts "Hit it again!"
And Willis turns round with the broken chair and says "Hit it with what?!"

You seen the goof when Willis is swinging the chair at the window?
Same scene as the one I just mentioned with Powell driving like Stevie Wonder ^^

Willis swings the chair at the glass, and the chair disintegrates in his hands.
McTiernan shouts "Hit it again!"
And Willis turns round with the broken chair and says "Hit it with what?!"
Yea I remember that bit now you mention it.

The trick is not minding
I had Singin’ in the Rain on my list. Great musical!
Everyone talks about the titular number but let’s show some appreciation towards “Make ‘em Laugh”.
Die Hard is a great film. Taut. Thrilling. Witty dialogue.
That said, I’m a little sad it has appeared here, as it, much like Dazed and Confused, will rob far worthier films of a spot.