Most Boring Movie

Tools    

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Well, it's that they don't actually think about entertainment value when selecting films for their top 10 lists, instead thinking about "10 most powerful landmark films", which are usually art films that may leave many people cold. So aggregating these top 10 lists leaves a set of 250 films that managed to touch some critics deeply but may not touch other people at all (and even many critics who voted for the poll: Roger Ebert voted for 10 films, all in the top 250 but several films he didn't care about were also in the top 250).
I wouldn't say that all critics don't consider entertainment value, nor would I say that entertainment is inseparable from great art. The individual critic and directors lists are much more interesting than the list as a whole for sure, but saying that critics consider art and average viewers consider entertainment seems a little unfounded seeing as critics are people too who probably like to be entertained. It depends on what each person is entertained by. What I find entertaining in a film is how a certain style can make me question what exactly film language is, how it applies to what I am watching and what I've watched in the past, films that force me to look at film in a new and interesting light.

bluedeed mode ON

Behold!!!!

The top 5 most boring films ever made:

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark

2. Star Wars

3. Jaws

4. Back to the Future

5. Terminator 2

The top 5 most fun films ever made:

1. Santango

2. Andrei Rublev

3. 8 1/2

4. Last Year at Marienbad

5. Playtime

bluedeed mode off

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think the critics/reviewers dislike what they see as the "same old, same old", so they react positively to the "different". They also seem nowadays to praise films based on the subject matter and ambiguity. So an "important" film that they can freely interpret and write pages about is the ultimate rave. It's apparently why they like director Steve McQueen's films even if they fail some of the criteria.

I think the critics/reviewers dislike what they see as the "same old, same old", so they react positively to the "different".
I partially disagree. I notice that the recent films critics praise the most are the ones that feel more like old movies (recent movies praised by the critics include stuff like The Tree of Life, Unclee Boome, Cache, The White Ribbon, Spirited Away, Mulholland Drive, all these movies are quite old formulas if you ask me: The Tree of Life and Unclee Boome are just a pair of mediocre art films, Cache and The White Ribbon are quite standard thrillers, Spirited Away feels like a legendary story that has been told for thousands of years, MD is a typical Lynch product, already available in the market since the 1970's). All these movies follow formulas that already existed in the 1970's or earlier.

Really innovative and different stuff is seldom praised. Usually it's regarded as trash. This, I think, is quite different from most stuff that critics praise (one will not find anything in the 1970's quite like it) and I think it is much more innovative than almost anything that wins the Palme'd Or:

They also seem nowadays to praise films based on the subject matter and ambiguity. So an "important" film that they can freely interpret and write pages about is the ultimate rave. It's apparently why they like director Steve McQueen's films even if they fail some of the criteria.
I agree there.

It's apparently why they like director Steve McQueen's films even if they fail some of the criteria.
Intelligent critics understand McQueen's films as trash. His newest film is receiving the most praise yet due to, of course, increasingly difficult subject matter, but all signs indicate it's a bad film. I really enjoy Adam Nayman's review of it: http://www.reverseshot.com/article/12_years_slave

I actually love several movies in both of these lists. However, their degree of cultness vary greatly.
Is one of them Playtime? I think that movie is tremendously entertaining. When I first saw it I watched it 5 times in 3 days I was so intrigued and interested.

I partially disagree. I notice that the recent films critics praise the most are the ones that feel more like old movies (recent movies praised by the critics include stuff like The Tree of Life, Uncle Boonmee, Cache, The White Ribbon, Spirited Away, Mulholland Drive, all these movies are quite old formulas if you ask me: The Tree of Life and Uncle Boonmee are just a pair of mediocre art films, Cache and The White Ribbon are quite standard thrillers, Spirited Away feels like a legendary story that has been told for thousands of years, MD is a typical Lynch product, already available in the market since the 1970's). All these movies follow formulas that already existed in the 1970's or earlier.
I'm interested in what makes you think that Uncle Boonmee (I corrected it for you) is a formula film. Apichatpong Weerasethakul is such an interesting filmmaker because his influences and inspirations are such mysteries and his films have a very different language than any working director.

I'm still not sure what art film you're referring to The Tree of Life being derivative from. Besides montage cinema (which Malick differs from as it's less formally structured, or so it seems) and particularly Murnau, Malick is also a radical of modern film. Maybe I'm wrong, but saying these are just typical art films doesn't say anything about the films because of the massive range of style of this "genre."

I'm interested in what thrillers you think Cache is similar to, I think it's more of a horror film anyways.
What doesn't seem to be considered here is form. Each of these films (with the exception of Spirited Away and Mulholland Dr., I'd argue) differ greatly from their possible progenitors formally. For example, what other thrillers have a similar visual scheme with Cache (I think this is the film that probably has the most explainable history)?

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Well that was,good discussion,but let's move on...
Twilight - so boring...gay vampires,so many bad things,acting well how to say,ah i know it sucks...And fights oh wait witch fights....Ye there are some but they are very bad,and yea i think 100 years old vampire and a teen well wohoho call the cops! just bad movie.

There will be blood
bored the hell out of me

In all honesty I feel reticent to call a movie boring but the film I found most difficult to slog through was The New World by Terrance Malick. Beautifully shot and acted just NOTHING HAPPENS.

In all honesty I feel reticent to call a movie boring but the film I found most difficult to slog through was The New World by Terrance Malick. Beautifully shot and acted just NOTHING HAPPENS.
They just arrive on ships and start the foundations of American society and stuff.

Must be doin sumthin right
I think the critics/reviewers dislike what they see as the "same old, same old", so they react positively to the "different".
Don't you feel this way sometimes though? As someone who watches way fewer movies than you I can say for sure I give movies brownie points or I just look back on them more fondly if they don't follow the same beats I'd expect them to or have seen a million times before. For example I just watched Stoker and while it didn't totally jibe with me in the moment and was actually pretty annoying to me I definitely admired it for its off-kilterness and the way it was obviously infused with its creator's personality or sensibility. And so it's grown in my estimation after the fact and if I had to write a review of it now I'd probably be more inclined to look for favorable things to say about it. Anyway I know I'd rather see a hundred movies like that over something anonymous and perfectly ok/inoffensive that I enjoy enough while watching but have no real opinion on and which evaporates from my mind a week later

I remember watching a movie called "Don't come knocking" in an outdoor theater. It was raining cats and dogs and I simply did not like the movie, despite fairly good reviews from critics...Never again!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Don't you feel this way sometimes though? As someone who watches way fewer movies than you I can say for sure I give movies brownie points or I just look back on them more fondly if they don't follow the same beats I'd expect them to or have seen a million times before.
It depends on the movie. I like to see original things but I don't give brownie points for just being original since I think it depends on what's done with it. I'm still one of the old fogeys that thinks there are some things better left undone and unwatched.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Phone Booth

Stupid film, shot in the silly shacky cam, bright coloured trendy style that makes my balls itch. And I hate Colin Farrell anyway.
That movie was ok for me, 6.8-10, some parts are boring totaly true,but movie had some good parts,it was not perfect but yea...

They just arrive on ships and start the foundations of American society and stuff.
Ha, quite...but the Malickian pacing doesn't help affairs.

I remember lots of shots of meadows with soliloquy's over the top...I honestly didn't remember the battle.

Ha, quite...but the Malickian pacing doesn't help affairs.

I remember lots of shots of meadows with soliloquy's over the top...I honestly didn't remember the battle.
Maybe the strange pacing and elliptical narrative should make you rethink your understanding of what's happening rather than label it as boring.

Just watched Happiness (Solondz movie) and it was sooo boring,I felt as detached as with the Eraserhead. :/ Anyway,I'll expand on it later in Movie Tab