Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I just watched one of the film's on the list of 'Ebert's Greats,' The Terrorist (2000), but wish I hadn't.

It's a pretty lame directorial effort from seasoned Indian cinematographer Santosh Sivan about a 19-year old girl, Malli, on a suicide mission somewhere in Tamil-speaking South Asia. It could be South India; it could be Sri Lanka.

Very early it's clear that the only thing that will maintain the dramatic tension for the running time of 95 minutes is some twist that will make this highly trained and committed girl question her mission. To achieve this, Sivan, who also wrote the script, turns the plot in a ridiculous direction that ruined the film for me.

WARNING: "Ridiculous plot points" spoilers below
When Malli arrives from the jungle in the town/city where she is to carry out the suicide bombing, her comrades take her to stay in the home of Vasu, a verbose, inquisitive yet poetic man. Staying with Vasu and his tiny family stirs up in Malli an interest in the wonders and possibilities of life that her militant existence has hitherto denied her. Eventually, Vasu informs Malli that she is pregnant, a fact that had escaped her. So here we have:

Ridiculous point 1: Through flashbacks we realize that the father of Malli's unborn child is a wounded comrade she met lying on the field of battle. She comforted him and, instead of trying to get him to safety, apparently had sex with him. He was promptly discovered by government troops, beaten, and bit into his cyanide capsule to dispose of himself.

Ridiculous point 2: In any realistic scenario, Malli's comrades - who clearly have a sophisticated network - would take her to a safe house for the few days until her mission. This is a girl who has been indoctrinated all her life in the importance of the cause. It is nonsense to believe that, in the run-up to perhaps the movement's most important mission ever, they would take her to a stranger's house. In addition to the nosy Vasu, two dodgy men visiting Malli every day to iron out the details of the suicide bombing runs a much greater risk of being exposed than holing her up in one of their own houses.

This nonsense blows a far bigger hole through Sivan's movie than any bomb could.

The movie's strong points are its often aesthetically pleasing cinematography, all filmed in natural light. Ayesha Dharker is well-cast as Malli, but Sivan overdoes the long, searching close-ups of her beautiful face and haunted eyes.

There are poignant reminders in several scenes that, although these girls and boys are well-versed in death and killing, they are hopelessly naive about many other aspects of life.

These points, however, are far outweighed by the film's many irredeemable weaknesses: ridiculous plot points; the unnecessary use of slow-motion sequences and an oppressively heavy-handed soundtrack that set a nauseatingly melodramatic tone; and highly amateurish overdubbing.

Sivan should stick to cinematography. Maybe he'd be ok as a director with someone else's script, but clearly not his own.

Although the film is obviously geared towards having Malli choose life over death, I have to admit that half-way through I was wishing that she'd just get the horrific deed over with to spare everyone concerned - namely myself - further agony.

After finishing the movie I read Roger Ebert's review and can't disagree with him more. He seems to have misread some plot points and either overlooked, forgiven or succumbed to all sorts of mediocre, or simply poor, film-making (except for much of the cinematography).

I'd be interested in what other MoFo members think of the movie, but I can't recommend that anyone else watch it.

4.5/10

I also posted this in the Roger Ebert's Great Movies thread to warn anyone who might be seduced into viewing this film by Ebert's list like I was.

Death Proof 7/10

Weakest movie of Quentin Tarantino's filmography, however is a good tribute to B-movies.

Almost Famous 8/10

Walkabout by Nicolas Roeg

Stalker by Andrei Tarkovsky

House by Nobuhiko Obayashi

So I finally watched this movie. I will admit I remember seeing the trailer for this movie and it looked confusing and extremely boring. OH BOY was I wrong! The trailers did not do this movie any justice. I thought the dream like sequences within Jim Carry's mind were very good and very cool to look at. I liked how they showed that a relationship is hard work, and that with on you get the good as well as the bad. And while the bad hurts like hell, the good is stuff you really really want to hold onto.

Psycho: Didn't hold up as well as the first time I watched it. Knowing everything that will happen makes it a much less entertaining film, given it depends on plot twists. Still I think it deserves a

The Big Lebowski: It had been a few years since I last saw it. Still holds up very well. In fact, it might be among the best movies out of the 12 movies in the MoFo Hall of Fame list. Deserves a
+ or maybe even a full rating.

Bloodsport

I am a sucker for Van Damme movies, only in the 80's and 90's though. Well what can I say the acting is pretty bad, it is basically a movie full of cheese but at the same time it is pretty enjoyable to watch. Van Damme basically shows off his martial arts abilities while trying to act out a scene.

Finally watched this classic. Why do some people say this movie is too slow, or boring? I wish it lasted 2 hours more. I really, really liked what I saw, a truly awe-inspiring film. But I cannot give a definite rating right now, because I feel this film is too complex, and I should wait for it to sink in.

I initally thought Bowman was going insane when he encountered HAL (it started to seem like a psychological thriller at that point), but then I realized it's far more complex than that. The ending totally blew me away.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I believe that I have to watch it at least once more to fully appreciate it. And there's no need to rate it, as it's quite weird concept to rate art at all.

"The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia". A documentary that follows infamous White family of West Virginia. I'm already a cynical misanthrope, so I probably shouldn't have watched this movie. It's fascinating how much of a toll cigarettes, drugs, and alcohol can take on the human body. The male members of the white family look like the standard product of trailer park inbreeding, but the women are a sight to behold. I guess you can only smoke so many cigarettes, so much pot, and snort so many prescription drugs before a woman's voice deteriorates and sounds like some sort of cave beast. After watching this film I support abortion, forced euthanasia, and eugenics.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Prometheus

First thoughts after viewing last night:

It seemed a bit disjointed to me; I'm a big fan of the first 2 Alien movies -- maybe they cowtowed excessively to the fans with the surgery scene and the invasive creepy monsters and David the robot's fate. But we all expect that, right? Not a big fan of the albino aliens and their lofty shenanigans though.

Loved the spaceship and all the tech stuff. The sets are fantastic, as usual. I though David was an interesting character.
Charlize in black and all uptight was nice too

Gotta give it a second watch though....

It's been a little while now, but I watched Grizzly man last Sunday.

I didn't have too much hope put in this because Herzog is a director I tend to deal with disbelief after being utterly disappointed with his acclaimed masterpiece Aguirre, the wrath of God and not that big into Fitzcarraldo.

It surprised me, though. Maybe I am going to be more into the documentarist Herzog than the storyteller Herzog, after all. The editing of the found footage reveals how careful this director is at his work.

On the content, it is obvious to me that this documentary deals with a very eccentric character who feels outside of his reality; it becomes clearer as the footage develops and his narcissistic and nonsensical bursts get more and more frequent. I don't really believe that Timothy's choice is really a solution, rather it becomes an added problem as it unfocuses the question, claiming that he understands the bears by judging them as humans and building an alternative fairytale story around it, which at points turns just ridiculous (when he reacts dramatically towards natural predation).

However, the perspective put by Herzog makes me feel a little bit of admiration around this figure at the same time it looks nasty and annoying; not because of his defense because the director is very high voiced against the methods and ideals of his portrayed character. But because being able to live according to a philosophy of choice, and defining himself and his objectives in such a clear way, is something I can't help but find inspiring in Timothy. He probably didn't achieve anything, and maybe even became a burden for the ecologist movement, but still, there's a point of respect in the narration as Herzog portrays the way he seems to enjoy and find a meaning to his life through this path. And it is very effectively transmitted.

I just wanted to slap Timothy silly. However, Herzog does make some superb documentaries.
I did too. He was so damn annoying. That's why Herzog's perspective and the fact it manages to work in some way is a huge achievement.