Best way to collect films?

Tools    

I get very angry about this. I really want to buy a bunch of Blu-Rays but I know that eventually blu-ray will be dead and my collection worthless.

So what do you feel is the best way to collect films?

^ DVD/Blu-ray will still be here for a long time... and unless you have really rare/out of print films a collection isn't going to be worth a lot more than what you paid for them(or they become worth less than what you bought them for)

Since blu-ray came out, my DVD collection hasn't gone to waste since you can play DVDs on a blu-ray player. So I'm not worried about blu-ray going anytime soon.

I have few Blurays and DVDs. But the best way to collect is to have Digital copies in your PC. Easily accessible and very compact. Think of carrying 100's of HD movies in a single pocket sized hard disk! Today's LED TV's has the capability to play from the harddisk is a plus.

p.s. I am not supporting piracy, I have ripped some of my owned DVD's to my PC for easy access.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Just a note re: digital storage, the BluRay file size can be 8 Gigabytes in size, and if you plan on storing your movies on a hard drive, chances are it will most likely have to be reformatted from FAT32 to NTSF to fit a file larger than 2 Gigs. You can do this without deleting the data on the drive. Drove me crazy when I tried to copy an 8G file to a WD Passport drive and it wouldn't! It was fat32.

Since media formats are cyclically outdone by newer technologies, your best bet is to invest some bandwidth into acquiring digital copies of your films. For portability and cost efficiency, I think that's the best way to approach building a collection.

DVD's and Blu-Ray's are great, but you're going to have to re-buy your entire collection again in the not-so-distant future. You may think, "Oh, I'll hold on to a DVD/BR player for the next fifteen years." Not only is that easier said than done, but by that time, higher resolution televisions and media formats will exist, and it will be difficult for you and your eyes to "just deal with it," so to speak.

That said, physical copies which are taken care of have a much greater shot at longevity. Unlike an external hard drive, a DVD won't randomly malfunction and clear itself of all the information it holds.

I can't stand digital copies, I have to be able to hold it in my hands.

The Best Way is to collect remakes or director cuts.

Think ahead.

Will you be moving around a lot in the near future?

Do you have the physical storage space?

Are you precious about things?

A physical collection can be an albatross around your neck, but under the right circumstances it can also be an escapist sanctuary - a real library.

Don't be too easily influenced by what the market tells you is the latest 'must have format'.

Oh, and most importantly...always buy what you like; not what you think you're supposed to like.

This is somewhat in reference to digital copies, but not exactly.

Netflix has a digital library for 10 dollars a month. Does anyone have planes for an almost all films library access for considerably more a month? Anything like this even being spoken of on the internet?

Just another movie Guru
I buy DVD/BluRay in bulk sales.. I prefer having digital copies as well, but having a physical copy is my love.

Physical copies are overrated.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Physical copies are overrated.
You are very right, but we all know this and choose being strange cuddly caressing people.

I use only DVD. I don't download from legal websites and have never used pirated copies or illegal downloads.

The problem with starting a BluRay collection, is that most of the films I like, I already have on DVD, so it'd be collecting for the sake of collecting.
Which is money down the pan for me.

I prefer DVD anyway. It's kinda like the old record collectors who say records give better sound than CDs. They clearly don't but it's still a preference.

The only thing I hate about modern home cinema, is that a lot of new releases have the best special features reserved only for the BluRay market and the DVD is a raw, basic copy of the film with no real defining specials like commentaries or making ofs etc.
Prometheus is a prime example. The DVD has no features at all apart from a couple of extended scenes in one of the menus. The BluRay is apparently packed with features that would have easily fit onto the DVD but the studios decided to punish DVD collectors for not upgrading to BluRay.

BluRay has dropped in price a touch but not a lot. Players have dropped substantially though. When they first came out, they were a couple hundred pounds, I saw one or two that pushed the £1000 mark as well, but you can get one for a measley £50 these days.
But like I said, I won't fork out £25-£30 for a disc, just for the sake of having one when I can get a DVD for £5-£10.

I prefer DVD and am working on building up my collection and completing some of the incomplete franchises I own... rather than paying out even more money and have another incomplete collection.

older titles that I've gone on to upgrade are definitely worth the cost and if the prices seem steep always check on amazon.I have blu rays hd DVDs and DVDs

Just another movie Guru
Even though most of my collection is DVD, I have begun to purchase only BluRay films to keep up with the changes. Right Now my entire collection is split between DVD and BR

But like I said, I won't fork out £25-£30 for a disc
Yikes, blu-rays are not that expensive unless it's some real deluxe/special edition version or low on stock/trader sales... Outside of new releases, a lot of blu-rays are in the £6-£8 range.

The most I've paid for a single blu-ray film(with 3D and extra disc that only came with the steelbook) is £23 and that was for a limited edition steelbook that went out of stock in the pre-order stages.

Just another movie Guru
Man, new BluRay discs run us about 25$ USD and that's for the bare minimum features. 29$ for EVERYTHING.

If you look around, you can find most new releases around the $19 mark - I just got a few that were released a few days back in America and each were $19, that's about £11. You have got to look too, be patient. Places like Amazon for example have certain blu-rays cheap one day and the exact same blu-ray more expensive another day then back to the cheaper price a few weeks later.