recommend me a good sci-fi movie.

Tools    

I would also check out Sunshine from Danny Boyle. It's a really good sci-thriller in the [mold] of Event [Horizon] and maybe Alien.
And listed in the original post as a Sci-Fi movie they'd already seen.

Another one I liked that just got trashed upon its release for some reason is The Forgotten (2004) starring Julianne Moore. Not a masterpiece or anything, but well done and worth seeing.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

And listed in the original post as a Sci-Fi movie they'd already seen.

Whoops, your right. Sorry missed that one.

Ok, I don't see Existenz mentioned so i would say that. It's a David Cronenberg sci fi with Jude Law and that Jennifer Jason Leigh. I didn't fully understand it as I watched it ages ago, but meh, it seemed alright if a bit gross.

Any travel time movies!

Best Comedy - Back to the Future (1985)
Best Action - Frequency (2002)
Best Adventure - Time Machine (1960)
Best Romance - The Time Traveler's Wife (2009)
Best Thriller - 12 Monkey (1995)

This isn't exactly begging you to see it, but I was a fan of the new Predators

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Some of my favs,

The Matrix
T2
Alien
Walle
Back to the Future Trilogy
District 9
Moon
Star Wars
Total Recall
The Thing
Robocop
Fifth Element
The Fly
Mad Max
The Abyss
Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind
Minority Report
Children of Men
A Scanner Darkly
Independence Day
Serenity
Predator

Heres a list of my favourites :-)

Starwars
The new Startrek
The Matrix
Moon
Blade runner
Alien
Tron
Children of Men
Donnie Darko
Mad Max
Starship Troopers
Clover Field
DISTRICT 9

Another one I liked that just got trashed upon its release for some reason is The Forgotten (2004) starring Julianne Moore. Not a masterpiece or anything, but well done and worth seeing.
Besides my family, you're the only other person I know who likes this film. I love it, actually, and have watched it numerous times already. I had to nag my daughter to watch it with me several weeks ago, but 10 to 15 minutes in, she knew she was going to love it too.

I enjoyed most of The Forgotten because I like sci-fi and alien plots a lot, but the ending was pretty much a failure, so I get why people gave it bad marks. 6.5/10 from me.

Most of the best ones have already been said. I'm not sure if anyone mentioned Close Encounters or A.I. These are Spielberg's very best films IMO.

A system of cells interlinked
A.I. roughs me up something fierce at the end.

I wanted to recommend a lil romance picture...

Starman (Carpenter, 1984)

A bit on the cheesy side, but I love it! I just watched this on Sunday!

A.I. roughs me up something fierce at the end.
Emotionally? Yeah, it's at its best there. I know I bawled.

The Forgotten had an awful ending!!!.. One of the silliest endings ever.

I agree with the ending of A.I. I just couldn't stop thinking about it for a few days.. That Haley Osment acted too damn well in it...
But I absolutely dislike that Bicentennial Man.

I agree with the ending of A.I. I just couldn't stop thinking about it for a few days.. That Haley Osment acted too damn well in it...
But I absolutely dislike that Bicentennial Man.
The thing I liked about The Forgotten was how the house got sucked up into the sky. That was pretty awesome.

If A.I. didn't resonate so much between being sh1tty, mediocre, and goofy in the middle sequences, it would have probably been one of the greatest films of all time. The introductory and epilogue sequences were tremendous.

BM is an ugly, sickening film that failed utterly from start to finish.

A system of cells interlinked

If A.I. didn't resonate so much between being sh1tty, mediocre, and goofy in the middle sequences, it would have probably been one of the greatest films of all time. The introductory and epilogue sequences were tremendous.
Agreed. Just so much power in that final sequence, but my eyes had glazed over somewhere around the 1.5 hour mark...

Well it seems as though this thread is back from the dead (two years old but has movement as recently as today)- so I'll jump right in...

If you like 'heady' SciFi films, do yourself a favor and see Primer. Do yourself another favor, and DON'T READ ANYTHING ABOUT IT before you watch it. It makes it better. If you read about it you spoil part of the fun of the movie.

What I can say about it is that it was an indy film that had next to no budget, but was amazing anyway (they HAD to have good story/acting because they had no budget for anything else)-

It really appeals to the geeky/nerdy/engineery type, but anyone who enjoys cerebral films will likely enjoy Primer. It feels like a more polished Pi, not as gritty...
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	primer.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	7313   Click image for larger version

Name:	primer2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	7314  

The Primer
There are low budget movies but this one is a no budget movie and it's still great.

Primer is a 2004 American science fiction drama film about the accidental discovery of a means of time travel. The film was written, directed, and produced by Shane Carruth and was completed on a budget of $7,000. Carruth graduated from college with a degree in mathematics and is a former engineer. Primer is of note for its extremely low budget, experimental plot structure, philosophical implications, and complex technical dialogue, which Carruth chose not to simplify for the sake of his audience. One reviewer said that "anybody who claims to fully understand what's going on in Primer after seeing it just once is either a savant or a liar." The film collected the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance in 2004 before securing a limited release in US cinemas, and has since gained a cult following.