The official "I Hate Anime!!!" and "I Hate Fan Fiction!!!" Thread

Tools    

Yay a hate thread! Now we can be mean to people in public !

So nobody watched Samurau Jack? Star Wars: Clone Wars? Princess Mononoke?

Ok if you're looking for american animation you'll have to go for Justice League/ JL Unlimited, the occasional Batman movie. You could rent Supermanoomsday James Marsters does a great Lex. Technically Simpsons,Futurama, Family Guy,American Dad and South Park too.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I love Samurai Jack
me to:

watch Grave of the fireflies. you'll never see anime the same way again

I don't "hate" anime, I like Cowboy Bebop.
I do agree that 99% of cartoons on television are anime, I mean why not have some other types of animation as well, ya know for some variety.
Fan fiction is okay for the writer, but I personally find it narrow and too serious.

I must say that I have never heard of such whining...

animé that, cartoons that.. bla bla.yadda yadda.. (I'm saying this with a smile)

My opinion:

1: i hated animé (really... like kryptonite for superman)
until i was like fourteen, then a good friend of mine showed me
some series Trigun, Elfen Lied, samurai X, cowboy bebop..just for some.

2: I have seen what US censored and dubbed animé looks like...
of course you can't like that! it's totally twisted!!
(take away the blood, cut and paste, change the story...bläh!)

If I'll say all-over . I hate pokemon and stuff like that. Yu-Gi-Oh and Digimon. But I'm more of an off-streamer. I like series with either much action or just twisted comedy.

the japanese have a diffrent way of expressing stuff in anime. origin: japan had in the beginning very bad studios, just like America had in their on start. that means that the animation is low quailty and for the audiens to comprehend yu have to make big eyes so that you can "see" what expression the character is doing. and the origin to the hair is to se diffrence between characters during faster sequenses.
all this has been refined and polished sin´ce the early 60's the american Betty Boop has the same big eyes and special hair if you look.

the diffrence.. in the west they started to do more real looking characters since the tecnologi could do it. but the japanese continiued to evolve the deformed character style.

and just like in the movies there is those shows or movies that are meant for kids and those who arent.

But i rather read Manga. you don't have to spend your life as a nerd just becuz you like anime manga, I spend some time yes, I do.

but i get drunk, go out with friends, fishing or whatever i feels like.

I Don't spend more than 300-400Sek (swedish crowns about 30-35 dollar)
of my salary on manga or anime in a month.
even thou it is a bad salary in the amfibious forces. but soon i have done my time and im out, out to live my life again yeah!!!
(in sweden there is duty to do military service if called....sorry off-topic....just happy)

and if there is any swedes in this forum:

Hej! måste ju säga att detta var bland de mest intressanta flame forum jag har sett... men jaja om någon läser så kan ni väl hjälpa till.. det finns så många trångsynta jenkare här...hejdå!

So I'm trying to say that everyone has their own taste in movies. but you can change your mind if you don't see on things with an already
decided mind. hey, i canged my mind...but be care of pokemon... i don't like that there is no story or character development.

bai bai!_ the swedish DuDe

Employee of the Month
Honestly, I`m not interested enough in Anime or Fan Fiction, to read this whole thread. Just a few thoughts: I don`t like it, when almost all characters look the same. And most of the fan fiction stuff is not good. It`s bad.
Also: Anime = Japan = Interesting, but extremly conventional society = commercial Lala-Land = similar to telenovelas (shudder), which were invented to distract the poor people in the brasilian favelas from their miserable lifes.

So, Anime+Manga = distraction from a cold society. Means: Lalalalalaa... I´m a boring drone, but I use to visit Cosplays ... yeah, believe it or not, once per month I´m soooooo crazy...! *lol*

Couldn't you say that all forms of media are intended to be a distraction from reality?

I'm not even entirely sure how you suddenly arrived at the conclusion of "Anime + Manga = distraction from a cold society". You more or less seemed to just jump there arbitrarily.

Employee of the Month
I'm not even entirely sure how you suddenly arrived at the conclusion of "Anime + Manga = distraction from a cold society". You more or less seemed to just jump there arbitrarily.
No way! Take a minute to think about the culture who has produced mangas and animes! And about the target groups all around the world. Great movies and comics are able to entertain and made you think, simply because they are working on very different levels at the same time.

For example: I like Akira , Grave of the Fireflies and stuff like Ghost in the Shell and some good Hong-Kong-flick always makes my day. I also know, that here are many subgenres and mystical emoluments. But all that is not changing the fact, that most of this stuff is just...s hallow. Totally flat. Offensive shallow and flat. It`s hard to get more superficial, even if you trying to do so, Twilight looks clever compared to most Animes. And right, we are talking about the stuff, that is made for adults, kidults, whatever. I could also compare this to WoW or Twitter or whatever Lala-Land flushed on the beach, these days and it wouldn`t be arbitrarily. It has to do with the japanese cultur and ultra-commercial lala-land 2.0. Most young people don`t have a clue what I´m talking about, but entertainment is and always was a mirror of the society. And the triumphant of animes, mangas and related stuff is a evidence of incapacity. There was light entertainment since ever, but it was never so popular as today. I know that this opinion is not so popular in a forum that is dedicated to entertainment, but I have to agree with the guy who opened this thread: Most Animes and Mangas are just dumb. Sorry.

That is missing my point entirely. Let's face it, each anime has a separate focus; some attempting to be a commentary, while others are meant for pure entertainment and some others are a mixture. It's wrong to reduce the entire genre in that way. Which, by the way, I don't think you necessarily meant this, but it's unnervingly implicit in your argument, while you seemingly ignore all of the other forms of art.

It isn't just anime and manga that is "shallow", it's most pieces of art that are. Half of the films that come from Hollywood are shallow. Just take a look at the best sellers list in the paper, or the books that they sell at the airport - those aren't (most of the time) hollow pieces of commercialization? Take a look at most of the movies playing at your local cinema - you'll notice that a disturbing majority are only there for commercial success. This is not a coincidence.

Japanese culture, for all it's beauty, isn't perfect, but neither is Western culture. Every country from around the world is guilty of this "lala land" attitude that you have imprinted onto them. Like I stated earlier, each form of art has its commercial tendencies, where it leans towards a more accessible form; whether it be an influence or a direct link. Can you name one that hasn't?

Call anime and manga dumb all you like, but that's just an opinion and adds nothing to the discussion. I never stated that most anime and manga were intellectual pieces of art, either. You just assumed that based off of my response. That's on you. Now, for the record, I'm not somehow claiming that anime is wonderful or anything of the sort, but there's art and commercial entertainment in every form, that's what I'm saying.

Twilight isn't any better or worse than your average "commercial la-la-land" anime, and both are just about ok.

Neither are Independence Day or Terminator 2. Anyway, Twilight isn't so bad. Neither is anime.

Also anime and manga and fanfiction, even if their audiences overlap in some places aren't the same thing at all. Manga in particular is a part of mass culture with a diverse audience, so take your own advice and...

Take a minute to think about the culture who has produced mangas and animes! And about the target groups all around the world.
If you do that you'll find out that it deserves a lot more nuance than you've given it in your last two posts, Soulinside.

Employee of the Month
It isn't just anime and manga that is "shallow", it's most pieces of art that are. Half of the films that come from Hollywood are shallow. Just take a look at the best sellers list in the paper, or the books that they sell at the airport - those aren't (most of the time) hollow pieces of commercialization? Take a look at most of the movies playing at your local cinema - you'll notice that a disturbing majority are only there for commercial success. This is not a coincidence.
Agreed.

Japanese culture, for all it's beauty, isn't perfect, but neither is Western culture. Every country from around the world is guilty of this "lala land" attitude that you have imprinted onto them. Like I stated earlier, each form of art has its commercial tendencies, where it leans towards a more accessible form; whether it be an influence or a direct link. Can you name one that hasn't?
No, but you miss my point. There is a great difference between Hollywood and for example Bollywood. Sometimes even Hollywood try to show some kind of reality. Or it mixes reality and social-critism with entertainment
( "L.A. Crash" , "Dark Blue", "Trade", "Valley of Elah", countless others.).
I don`t think that`s so common in in collective-oriented states in the south-eastern parts of the world. It´s defintely rare. Besides the average: "We want to get married, but out parents are against our love!"- story.
My theory: I addition to the collective-thing, emerging countries are not fat enough yet, to raise up a minority of young people, worth mentioning, who are doing some serious damage onto the roots of the traditions - in a arty way, in a southpark-way or whatever. Plus: Mangas, Animes and stuff are strongly supporting a "Simsification" of our society in the near future. I don`t like it. Call it a archaic growl from the inside.

Now, for the record, I'm not somehow claiming that anime is wonderful or anything of the sort, but there's art and commercial entertainment in every form, that's what I'm saying.
Good. I´m just talking about the percentage distribution. That`s my point.

Employee of the Month
Twilight isn't any better or worse than your average "commercial la-la-land" anime, and both are just about ok.
I don`t wanna be rude, but you are completely wrong.

Neither are Independence Day or Terminator 2. Anyway, Twilight isn't so bad. Neither is anime.
I will soon translate a critic, I wrote about T2. Maybe this will make my point more clear.

Is there such a difference between Bollywood and Hollywood? Could you elaborate, please? Also, if you've done your research, you would know that Bollywood isn't all the same. I have quite a few Indian friends who will tell you otherwise. But at the same time, it is just as much of a business as Hollywood is and always will be. They are both machines. Don't you think Bollywood is trying to convey some sort of reality, as well? It may not be as "large" and "pretentious" as many Hollywood films, but it is certainly an expression of truth, by your logic.

I'll tell you this: a majority of the "realities" that Hollywood seems to "support" are just simplifications of the truth. Hollywood likes to take popular messages and make a profit off of it. Didn't you notice the ridiculous amount of anti-war films? That's what Hollywood does; it doesn't care about "messages", whatsoever. Perhaps the director does, but there's no telling how much is going to be cut. On top of that, Hollywood is still restrictive in what will be shown and what won't -- it isn't just a "free-for-all" of individual expression. If it doesn't provide a profit, it won't be released, usually. Not to mention that the North American economy is far more stable; we can actually afford to have films that won't always make a profit. Our resources are readily available. But even then, those films are quite limited. There are many films from across the globe that will never be seen by anyone in the Wester hemisphere because of the lack of means to show their films. Luckily, the internet is slowly helping those struggling filmmakers, but it certainly hasn't fixed the problem entirely.

That actually isn't true. There is certainly more to Indian culture than Bollywood (many of my Indian friends actually get angry if we just speak of Bollywood). If you've seen many Indian films, then you would be aware of the auteurs who have come out of Indian cinema and expressed themselves in a unique way. Take a look at other cultures in the Southeast, you'll find plenty of filmmakers who are making an effort to represent their culture in a truthful way, rather than catering to the "otherness". Taiwanese film, for instance, is a blossoming area, where auteurism is taking over. What is limiting them, however, is not solely the economic state, but the state of mind that the world is currently in. Will people care if it's a truthful portrayal of cultural identity? No. Will they care if it's an exaggerated image of the culture, solely reflecting on the past? Most likely.

Of course it's about percentage of distribution, but even in then, you can't blame the culture or industry. That's just how it works. I don't think anyone disagrees that a majority of what both markets are releasing is a commercial product. But the keywords here are both markets. Hollywood profits off of a commercialized American culture. It's sick, but that's just how it is. I'm not sure what you could possibly see as being "true" in almost any kind of Hollywood product.

Not to be mean, but could you spend a little more time fleshing out your thoughts? I had somewhat of a difficult time understanding precisely what you meant. It could be a language thing, but it wouldn't hurt to at least make a conscious effort.

I don`t wanna be rude, but you are completely wrong.
No offense taken. Your comments are completely unhelpful!

I will soon translate a critic, I wrote about T2. Maybe this will make my point more clear.
I'd be interested in reading your review of T2 (which I like by the way).

But if your main point is that one culture's mass media has a higher percentage of crap than another's, I don't see how a review of one movie is going to prove anything.

Would my posting individual examples of thoughtful anime and manga prove anything to you?

On the other hand if you want to tell me what you think is a good representative example of the "badness" of manga (and why), that might help clarify your point; it would be a lot more interesting than continuing to prop up glib-sounding generalizations with buzz-words like "the simpsification of our society".

Why, it means "an archaic growl from the inside", of course!

Not that I'd necessarily buy SoulInside's argument otherwise, but to be fair I think there's a language-barrier operating here as well.