Not so typical highschool/teen flick suggestions

Tools    

Wait, Igby goes down has wasshisface from Terminator 2 in it. innit?

Wait, Igby goes down has wasshisface from Terminator 2 in it. innit?
If you're really that confused innit so much easier to Google the answer than to keep taking shots in the dark?

To answer your question, no, Igby Goes Down does not feature Edward Furlong, who played the whiny bangs-in-his-face John Connor of T2. Igby Goes Down was an indie released in 2002 and stars in the title role Kieran Culkin, one of Macaulay's younger brothers. Kieran also starred in The Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys, another flick that would fit the search criteria the original poster was looking for. Ryan Phillippe plays Igby's older brother in the movie, Susan Sarandon their mother, and the cast also includes Amanda Peet, Claire Danes, Jared Harris, Bill Pullman and Jeff Goldblum.

In addition to The Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys (2002) I'd also add to my list of darker less mainstream movies about teenagers Thumbsucker (2005), Metropolitan (1990), Lilja 4-ever (2002), Half Nelson (2006), Flirting (1991), Kes (1969), The Rachel Papers (1989), The Slums of Beverly Hills (1998), Adventureland (2009) and Ghost World (2001).

And for an out and out classic, Bogdanovich's The Last Picture Show (1971).

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
One I don't think that has been mentioned yet is East of Eden.

I'm with Holden on Half Nelson, which is excellent.

I did see Thirteen and thought it was a bit too melodramatic and forceful with it's "realism". At least for my taste. It's one of those films like Hard Candy and Prozac Nation, which the shock of seeing a young girl in all kinds of troubling situations trumps anything the film has going for it. Where the term "shock value" genuinely applies as seeming to be the film's main purpose.

But East of Eden is amazing, though the characters might be just a year or so out of high school.

And of course for brilliant melodrama, you can't go wrong with Splendor in the Grass.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

I have seen that Igby goes down. My apologes for getting it wrong twice.

Brick comes to mind

New Port South
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0229003/

Cry Baby
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099329/

Hair Spray (John Waters original masterpiece)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095270/

Happy New Year from Philly!
Romeo and Juliet

Along with the Clare Danes and Leonardo DiCaprio version (1996) there is a beautiful Franco Zefferelli version from the sixties (1968) and an even older version starring Leslie Howard and Norma Shearer (1936).

I tried to supply photos, but I don't think my Mac likes the forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, let me add one more the 1954 version starring Laurence Harvey, the bearer of the most fabulous pompadour in show biz. This also boasts Flora Robson as the Nurse. Possibly the only slim woman to play the part.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Don't forget Election.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Banned from Hollywood.

In addition to The Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys (2002) I'd also add to my list of darker less mainstream movies about teenagers Thumbsucker (2005), Metropolitan (1990), Lilja 4-ever (2002), The Basketball Diaries (1995), Half Nelson (2006), Flirting (1991), Kes (1969), The Rachel Papers (1989), The Slums of Beverly Hills (1998), Adventureland (2009), Saved! (2004) and Ghost World (2001).

Nice to see someone recommend Thumbsucker, as it is one of my fave movies ever ...I could have easily recommended it but, i would rather stick to more "happy" teenage/highschool movies for this thread... like you said it's more a dark, less mainstream teenage movie....a trip to the dark side of the teenage psyche...nevertheless with a really rewarding ending...Personally though i dont see it as a teenage flick..it's more of a psychological movie. So that is another reason why i didnt recommend it.

All that aside though, highly recommended viewing.

Nice to see someone recommend Thumbsucker, as it is one of my fave movies ever ...I could have easily recommended it but, i would rather stick to more "happy" teenage/highschool movies for this thread... like you said it's more a dark, less mainstream teenage movie....a trip to the dark side of the teenage psyche...nevertheless with a really rewarding ending...Personally though i dont see it as a teenage flick..it's more of a psychological movie. So that is another reason why i didnt recommend it.
But did you read the original post? The dark side of the teenage psyche is exactly what they're interested in. They were asking for those teen movies that "are unheard of but quite good", and for examples of what they like Lukas Moodysson's Fu*king Åmål and Larry Clark's Wassup Rockers were listed, both of which are very dark and disturbing by mainstream American standards. Thus the attempt not to mention "happy" movies.

Banned from Hollywood.
But did you read the original post? The dark side of the teenage psyche is exactly what they're interested in. They were asking for those teen movies that "are unheard of but quite good", and for examples of what they like Lukas Moodysson's Fu*king Åmål and Larry Clark's Wassup Rockers were listed, both of which are very dark and disturbing by mainstream American standards. Thus the attempt not to mention "happy" movies.

Okie dokie..

i must have misread the post then..

either way. any post that recommends this movie is worth all my respect

f*ucking amazing soundtrack as well....

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Lukas Moodysson's Fu*king Åmål and Larry Clark's Wassup Rockers were listed, both of which are very dark and disturbing by mainstream American standards.
Fu*king Åmål is 'dark and disturbing'?? I would normally describe it as sweet, romantic and funny. There is a bit of bullying and self-harm and underage drinking, but nothing out of the ordinary run of teenage life. It doesn't dwell on the dark side, and there's a lot of humour. Overall it's pretty uplifting.

On the more disturbing side, there's Kidulthood (which personally I think tries too hard to be gritty. Yes, all these things happen, but not to the same group of kids on the same day.)

Or My Summer of Love. Anorexia, obsession and violence. Not as good as the book, but this isn't a book rec thread.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Have you tried When A Stranger Calls?

Have you tried When A Stranger Calls?

I am an adult and that one still scares the crap out of me!! I love it though.