What would a fairy tale happening in real life look like?

Tools    

I find a lot of parallels between Unbreakable and LITW.

1. Unbreakable starts off with words talking about the history of comic books and how ancient times used picture stories to tell tales, setting the tone for Unbreakable, LITW uses a cartoon to do the same thing, set the tone for LITW>

2. Both movies involve a story and acts that only the participants would really believe happened. If Bruce Willis told anyone else about his powers, they'd think he was nuts, but for him it was true. If the people of the Cove talked to other people about the events, they'd think he was nuts.

3. Most people who would think that a comic book or a fairy tale happened somewhere in the world would think they were nuts.

My point is that fairy tales happen a certain way in space time and this creates a context from which the participants understand more of what happened versus someone who they try to tell the story to, who doesn't have the context, who can't understand what happens. All they can pass along is what they can relate to from their context, not the context that the event truly happened in.

I have absolutely no problems accepting that this is how a fairy tale would have happened in real life and how the story is always a tad bit different because experience can never truly be conveyed in words and pictures.

Well, that's certainly one of Night's themes: taking something rather outrageous and depicting how it might look if made real.

In my mind, a real-life fairy tale would focus more on its inhabitants' realization that they're inside of a fairy tale. I've fleshed this thought out a bit in my review of the film.

I would have loved for Night's version of a fairy tale to have turned into Night's version of Adaptation; a more self-aware film that effectively blurs the line between fiction and reality, and forces the contemplation of where the audience ought to draw the new line. Lady in the Water hints that it might go in this direction, but doesn't ever get there.

Originally Posted by Yoda
In my mind, a real-life fairy tale would focus more on its inhabitants' realization that they're inside of a fairy tale. I've fleshed this thought out a bit in my review of the film.
Fairy tales are formed are stories that first happen and then get told because a fiary tale is always supposedly based on reality. The participants of any true, original fairy tale, would actually think it's a normal occurrence, nothing out of the ordinary.

For those who hear of a fairy tale and then start to experience it, they need evidence. Cleveland had evidence with his loss of stuttering and seeing the Scrunt. Night's character sort of had a glimpse by the pins and needles. No one else, though, really had any real reason to believe they were in a fairy tale. They were moving on faith and by what Cleveland was saying to them and convincing them of (also, what they wanted to believe).

Reggie was never involved in any of the planning, he was suddenly thrust into his role as guardian, so he had a chance encounter that was part of the fairy tale. The man with no secrets, Mr. Leeds, the sisters, were all just being themselves and the only evidence they ever had of a fairy tale was the Eatlon.

Even the Korean girl was only relaying the story, she did not meet Story until the end and she didn't know anything of what Cleveland was doing.

So, the only realization for most that a fairy tale was even occuring was in the very end when the inexplicable, large bird came down and swooped a girl away (because, to them, that's what it was).