Movie Tab II

Tools    

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Before Sunrise innovative and beautiful

Lady in the Water self-indulgent and full of lazy, poor writing.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Clerks 2 - About the funniest movie I think I'll see all year. The fact that Kevin Smith likes his characters and never stoops to ridiculing them, makes it work even better than it could have.

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
Clerks 2 and I finally got around to watching Munich, which works out well, since it won the vote for discussion in the next movie club

The Three Colours Trilogy. I watched them back-to-back, first time I'd seen them and I loved them all.

A system of cells interlinked
A Scanner Darkly - (Linklater, 2006)

In the Beginning...
Elizabethtown (Crowe, 2005)

A nice stab at the father/son/family theme thrown over the romantic comedy, but it never really comes together. The all-important father is virtually nonexistant, and the relationships aren't very well-defined. Still, the performances are quirky and enjoyable, and I think that's what Crowe wanted to push.

*NOTE* - For me, this film was an exciting watch: because not only was it filmed on my stomping grounds (Louisville and E-Town, KY), but it goes out of its way to make you aware of that fact. My city hasn't been featured in a film of note since Demolition Man (and Stripes, most notably), and never to this degree. It was really nice to see home on the big screen - places I'd been, roads I'd driven, and the very types of people I know so well.

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Sedai
A Scanner Darkly - (Linklater, 2006)
How was it Sed? Im really looking forward to this. Although i have the feeling i shall be coming out of it picking my brains from my ear.

11:14 Loved this film. Sorta like Crash with the colliding of the characters though I felt the only moral teaching here was that crime doesn't pay hehe.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Syriana (2005 - Stephen Gaghan)

F***ing A.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

A system of cells interlinked
The Big Lebowski (Coens, 1998)

Blib. I really liked A Scanner Darkly, aside from some pacing issues. Yes, it's quite thought provoking, and somewhat unsettling.

I am having a nervous breakdance
V for Vendetta (2005 - James McTeigue)

I really think this film pretty much sucked. As I understand it, it's developed some kind of cult following and according to imdb.com it's the 150th best film ever made. I beg to differ. It's really unoriginal. Take one part Beauty and the Beast, one part Phantom of the Opera, add lots of Matrix and Zorro and a twist of that Vega character in Street Fighter. Have an unexperienced debuting director mix it all together and, voilŕ, you have V for Vendetta! It totally failed to engage me on any level all the way through it. Sorry all you fans...

In the Beginning...
Stay (Forster, 2005)

Recommended by a co-worker. It had all my "WTF" wheels turning, which is fine so long as the film meets me at the end with some logic in hand. It didn't.

My Cousin Vinny (Lynn, 1992)

Pretty sharp, but not overly impressive. A fun flick with a few enjoyable performances.

Put me in your pocket...
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Winds(1985) ~
First time seeing this and I loved it. It's nice to see a young girl whose strong of character instead of the silly young girls thrown into the movie factory these days.

Howl's Moving Castle(2004)~
Watched it again and still love it. Hits my soft spot.