Trippiest Script/Movie Ever

Tools    

finally others who agree on the complete misdirection of Natural Born Killers. I don't know how people can watch that, and feel that it is some sort of avant-garde modern movie magic. i have a firm belief that no movie is all bad, but this one really threw me for a loop. Stone's incessant use of completely useless backdrops, ie. imagery of a wolf seen out of open doorways and windows, aides the movie in no way. i can also say that i hated the little, minute second-long visions of such things as Woody's bleeding, laughing face, and downey jr. in blood red with devil horns. this reminded me of a weak portroyal of a scene in Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange, where we witness the hanging, explosions, and Alex's face with blood-dripped fangs. These ramblings, as well as sudden changes to black-and-white, are just unnecessary and unsuccessful stabs by Stone at making an artful film that stimulates our minds. Stone's attempt at making this film artsy, new wave, physchodelic, or whatever he was trying, was overdone, overshot, and should be overlooked. the only thing that struck me as interesting in this movie was a certain scene in the jailroom interview room, where it is apparent that the media-entrenched ratings-obsessed america, played by the host robert downey jr., yells and screams across the table in an enraged frenzy at this creature across the table who is the most popular mass murderer in America at the time, as he sits in a calm recollection of the slayings that he's committed. it may be the only thing worth remembering about this lost and drenched movie, the fact that so many are obsessed with the thrill of mass murderers/serial killers, that we allow the media to portray them to their liking.

A system of cells interlinked
It's funny, when Natural Born Killers came out, I liked it and praised it to friends. Now, I can't even watch the film. Poorly paced, trite characters, and way too heavy handed in the direction. This being a Stone film, there are some cool shots and some slick editing...but he went WAY overboard this time round. One of his weakest pictures, IMO.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Trainspotting.

That movie is all sorts of messed up and wrong. I saw it in theaters and people walked out because it got to be too much for them. I love it though.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Movie Forums Member
Originally Posted by coreyk21
finally others who agree on the complete misdirection of Natural Born Killers. I don't know how people can watch that, and feel that it is some sort of avant-garde modern movie magic. i have a firm belief that no movie is all bad, but this one really threw me for a loop. Stone's incessant use of completely useless backdrops, ie. imagery of a wolf seen out of open doorways and windows, aides the movie in no way. i can also say that i hated the little, minute second-long visions of such things as Woody's bleeding, laughing face, and downey jr. in blood red with devil horns. this reminded me of a weak portroyal of a scene in Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange, where we witness the hanging, explosions, and Alex's face with blood-dripped fangs. These ramblings, as well as sudden changes to black-and-white, are just unnecessary and unsuccessful stabs by Stone at making an artful film that stimulates our minds. Stone's attempt at making this film artsy, new wave, physchodelic, or whatever he was trying, was overdone, overshot, and should be overlooked. the only thing that struck me as interesting in this movie was a certain scene in the jailroom interview room, where it is apparent that the media-entrenched ratings-obsessed america, played by the host robert downey jr., yells and screams across the table in an enraged frenzy at this creature across the table who is the most popular mass murderer in America at the time, as he sits in a calm recollection of the slayings that he's committed. it may be the only thing worth remembering about this lost and drenched movie, the fact that so many are obsessed with the thrill of mass murderers/serial killers, that we allow the media to portray them to their liking.
It's funny you say it this way. I definitely respect this opinion and the first time I watched the movie I hated it. I still don't really love the film, but every once in awhile I'm in the mood to watch Tommy Lee Jones get his head lifted on a pick. The movie itself is not a strong Stone piece of work; then again I've always viewed Stone as a weak Kubrick. Stone does have his moments though, hence Platoon, Wall Street, and JFK. Born on the Fourth of July wasn't bad either, just wasn't great IMO. The Doors was also good, but not great and also had some contradictory views of Jim Morrison. Natural Born Killers was just a mess of trying to pull together a lot of ideas. It was rushed and all over the place and even in all the madness I was sometimes even bored. This is never a good sign for a movie if it is visually stunning and yet the audience can say to themselves "enough already." The movie did get cool and it is extremely trippy, somewhat like From Dusk Till Dawn on acid with a little more on the press side of the story. The movie did have some cool visuals and that's why I put it up on the list and it did have a somewhat tangable storyline with an acceptable ending IMO. If you can get over Robert Downey Jr. and Rodney Dangerfield as a sick father, than you've got yourself a pretty intense ride. Take it for what it is, no more no less.

The Doors was also good, but not great and also had some contradictory views of Jim Morrison.
Yeah, i would have to agree with the idea of contradictory views of Jim Morrison in Stone's The Doors. I had chose not to watch that movie just based on the fact that i didn't want to see one of my most idolized people thrown up on the screen in a sloppy manner, but then one of my buddies actually bought it for me so i had to watch it. Now that is one that i could take for face value, because although i didn't watch it with the intent of learning anything new or even true about Jim Morrison, it was entertaining for the most part. I mean Jim was a total mess during a majority of his time with the Door's, but he also knew how to live his life while doing it, and i could see that portrayed in the movie. i also liked that they included the influence of shamanism in there, which made for some interesting scenes.

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by coreyk21
... the complete misdirection of Natural Born Killers. I don't know how people can watch that, and feel that it is some sort of avant-garde modern movie magic. i have a firm belief that no movie is all bad, but this one really threw me for a loop. Stone's incessant use of completely useless backdrops, ie. imagery of a wolf seen out of open doorways and windows, aides the movie in no way. i can also say that i hated the little, minute second-long visions of such things as Woody's bleeding, laughing face, and downey jr. in blood red with devil horns......
Natural Born Killers, I thought was great.

I still love you!

Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
I still love you!
Aww thanks, I love you too

I saw Natural Born Killers a few years back and liked it, but mainly because I was a style enthusiast at the time. I remember the message not being fully formed, and, at times, completely nonexistent, but I recall being hypnotized by the lighting and editing and other film tricks included. I'll have to see it again to form a fuller opinion.

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by IDigCereal
I saw Natural Born Killers a few years back and liked it, but mainly because I was a style enthusiast at the time. I remember the message not being fully formed, and, at times, completely nonexistent, but I recall being hypnotized by the lighting and editing and other film tricks included. I'll have to see it again to form a fuller opinion.

I love the boldness, Mr. Dangerfield's small spot light and I think there are some killins' in this one.

Once Upon a Time in America
Citizen Cane

city of lost children is pretty nuts

also id say The Wall.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
The Tin Drum

Week End

Maya Deren's, Meshes of the Afternoon
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Eating you Since 1984
Originally Posted by susan
tommy
this is the first movie that came to mind when I saw the title of this thread... rep points for you for beating me to it.

Anything written by Charlie Kaufman or directed by David Lynch (other than the excellent 'The Straight Sory'). Alot of Luis Bunuel's work is very surreal, and Federico Fellini has made an odd film or two in his day.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."