Quote of the Day

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Golgot
A MoFo-anniversary style'o quote...

I want to give the audience a hint of a scene. No more than that. Give them too much and they won't contribute anything themselves. Give them just a suggestion and you get them working with you. That's what gives the theater meaning: when it becomes a social act.
--Orson Wells
Brilliant!

You were born an original. Don't die a copy. ~ John Mason

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

From a very dusty book I'm reading:

"Since there is some danger that through ignorance or thoughtlessness, some group of people, even in the United States, may be treated unfairly, every pupil who salutes the flag should pledge himself always to stand for justice and fair play. The two words "injustice" and "oppression" ought not to appear on any page of our history that will be written of the future. The future of our nation is largely in the keeping of the boys and girls of to-day. Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty, and pupils must never cease to look for wrongs to make right."

from My Country, by Grace Turkington. (a civics textbook printed in 1923)

Originally Posted by Austruck
Quote of the day....(source unknown)

"You know the world's gone mad when the best rapper is a white man, the best golfer is a black man, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the USA of arrogance, and the Germans don't want to go to war!"
well....

They share something as personal as their feelings rather than something as generic as their genitals.
--Roger Ebert reviewing Lost in Translation
did he say that?

We used to root for the Indians against the cavalry, because we didn't think it was fair in the history books that when the cavalry won it was a great victory, and when the Indians won it was a massacre. ~ Dick Gregory

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by manua1_2001
did he say that?
Hey, he scripted Beneath the Valley of the Ultra-Vixens. Of course he said it!
(The man's an artist )

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...309120302/1023

---
EDIT:
---

Originally Posted by manua1_2001
well....
Don't worry, Aus has felt suitably guilty about that one
(well, the German bit anyway. The rest is all fine by me ).

It's strange, but growing up as a child I was forbidden to speak my native language at school, later my country asked me to. My language helped win the war and that makes me very proud. Very proud. ~ Charles Chibitty - Comanche Code Talker (Nov. 21, 1921 - July 21, 2005)

To be or not to be. That's not really a question.
--Jean-Luc Godard

Oh, and i just so had to double post this..

Since the Upanishads themselves posit an identity of the Subject, the Âtman or Self, with Brahman, the transcendent Supreme Reality, Being itself, one could not confess surprise if Schopenhauer were to identify the Subject with Kant's transcendent thing-in-itself. He does not, however -- deciding, rather arbitrarily it must seem, to retain the Subject as an Unknowable side of representation, distinct from all Objects.
--The author of this page: http://www.friesian.com/arthur.htm

I got locked up on this thanks to a random Piddy quote about Schopenhauer comparing people to impolite candles, but i'm glad i did...

Are we objective or subjective? Yo damn, we're both . I could've told Schopi we're all candles in the wind

[NB - you might need to have studied ponderous epistemological philosophy, have read flighty Hindu religosity, and have listened to Elton John atrocities to engage with this pretentious post ]

If you assign a number to every letter in your name and then divide the total by the number of letters in your name you will get a headache. ~ unknown

Since the Upanishads themselves posit an identity of the Subject, the Âtman or Self, with Brahman, the transcendent Supreme Reality, Being itself, one could not confess surprise if Schopenhauer were to identify the Subject with Kant's transcendent thing-in-itself. He does not, however -- deciding, rather arbitrarily it must seem, to retain the Subject as an Unknowable side of representation, distinct from all Objects.
--The author of this page: http://www.friesian.com/arthur.htm
Dude..... what??

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Dude..... what??
You need to be drunk for it to make any sense .

I think it means that Schopenhauer believed: our 'selves' are intangible properties of our intangible minds.

Specifically, it means: philosphers are silly - and that i'm a sucker for anything relating to subjective-objective 'crossover'

---

OK, here's something only slightly more tangible, but i think you might like it...

Does it matter if the place cannot be mapped as long as I can describe it?
Jeanette Winterson in Sexing the Cherry

Originally Posted by 7thson
I knew it, why did I have to major in philosophy? I'm not silly... am I?
That's cool man, i 'minored' in philosophy (it was a third of my course) but i'm still completely silly

I did love going to school though and taking all those philosophy, religion, logic, etc... classes. I remember telling myself I refuse to be bored in College so I would do something I liked. Well the degree did not get me much, but I sure had fun earning it. I take that back, it did help me get a couple of early stripes in the Army. One day I will tell you about my philosophy paper on figuring women out. I only got a B+ and darnit I know it would have been an A if my teacher had been a man.

You need to be drunk for it to make any sense .

I think it means that Schopenhauer believed: our 'selves' are intangible properties of our intangible minds.

Specifically, it means: philosphers are silly - and that i'm a sucker for anything relating to subjective-objective 'crossover'

---

OK, here's something only slightly more tangible, but i think you might like it...

Does it matter if the place cannot be mapped as long as I can describe it?
Jeanette Winterson in Sexing the Cherry
Hmm... the quote here is a nice point.

The one about the self interests me, because I like hearing how people percieve the self, and especially when it pertains to the concept of "other" (than the self), but daaaang, those words wouldn't sort.

It is by logic we prove, it is by intuition we discover
Henry Poincaré

[And vice-versa ]

I did love going to school though and taking all those philosophy, religion, logic, etc... classes. I remember telling myself I refuse to be bored in College so I would do something I liked. Well the degree did not get me much, but I sure had fun earning it. I take that back, it did help me get a couple of early stripes in the Army.
Hey, you got army stripes? I just got to wipe old people's bums on leaving Uni .

Yeah, i'm with you on the 'i refuse to be bored thing' - even if sometimes my 'excitement' was just apoplectic rage at the thought processes of philosophers - overall tho i'm damn glad i studied some of the hardcore 'thinkers', coz they made me think in a way which is not my preference, and balanced me out a bit more as a result. (Hard to tell sometimes i know - but i could be far less logical ).

One day I will tell you about my philosophy paper on figuring women out. I only got a B+ and darnit I know it would have been an A if my teacher had been a man.
Heheheheh . Women are just, like, so illogical

*runs far far away....*

*and then misses sex*

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelila
Hmm... the quote here is a nice point.

The one about the self interests me, because I like hearing how people percieve the self, and especially when it pertains to the concept of "other" (than the self), but daaaang, those words wouldn't sort.
The amount of time it takes to get their 'take' on the world isn't always worth the effort - these types of hard-core concept-tinkerers are often just a bunch of silly old men .

The quote seems to represent an argument from the a priori (prior to analysis of 'external' facts) school of thought, which tries to figure things out purely with reference to 'obvious' logics about life. (Basically these guys spent their time ramming themselves up their own arse - but they learnt the odd thing along the way. Like, when not to light fires, and how to chew the fat ).

The ideas the quote is wrestling with are things like: is everything 'physical'/is the mind 'spiritual'; what can we actually know; will my name be inflated beyond the stars if i blow hard enough

Kant was the king of those guys, and in some ways, all you need to know about him is that he separated the universe into knowable things (phenomena) and unknowable things (noumena)... and then he tried to tell everyone what 'noumena' were like

Nah, fair play to the man. Just like my philosophy professor, i understand him not at all, and yet i feel he makes some sense.

But what i love most about those uber-'logical' a priori guys is that they accidently reveal a lot about the subjective way their minds worked, and so you learn something about your/our own minds by default.