Taking Holden's Advice

Tools    

So many good movies, so little time.
While watching A Boy and His Dog the other night I thought about some of the movies I've watched on Holden's advice in the past year.

Some that spring to mind :

A Boy and His Dog (A) Loved it. Science Fiction black comedy. One of the best final lines in all the movies.

One, Two, Three (A) Great movie. Can't believe I never saw it.

Nashville (A)

McCabe and Mrs. Miller (A-)

Little Big Man (A)

Wonder Boys (A-)

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Yes, it's true: I am a cinematic genius of taste.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
hmm...
Truly Madly Deeple - great story that made me grin and sigh.
Defending Your Life - fun, funny, smart, bits of it still come back to me at odd times.
Blood Simple - excellent flick. Frances RULES.
Casablance - I'm still not a big fan, but I think it's a well-made film.
Return to Me - awww!

A system of cells interlinked
Oh man, Holden knows the films! Every recommendation of Holden's that I have watched has been excellent. Still need to track down A Boy and His Dog though....

Wow...people really worship you, Holden.

Perhaps you should amass a cult and lead them to the promised land.

I WANT FANS TOO

Actually, Sir Holden of Pike has turned me onto some greats too...
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by Sedai
Oh man, Holden knows the films! Every recommendation of Holden's that I have watched has been excellent. Still need to track down A Boy and His Dog though....
Still haven't seen it? Do yourself a favor and just order it online if you have to.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Perhaps you should amass a cult and lead them to the promised land.
Or make them drink poisoned fruit juice and laugh at them after they're all dead.

Arresting your development
He also said trying to describe magic with words is like trying to slice roast beef with a screwdriver...now that’s a distinctive voice.

Ok! Maybe he didn't spit that at me...

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I WANT FANS TOO
Maybe you'll get one after I finish watching the list of movies you sent me.

Originally Posted by Sedai
Well, i actually watched "Made" the other day and he was bang on with that one. It was quite funny especially Vince Vaugn's character, just like he said.

Originally Posted by Sinny McGuffins
Somebody once gave me advice: "either grow up or get out".
Does that mean you're divorced now?

Somebody once gave me advice: "either grow up or get out".
So where did you go? heheheh.......oh yeah.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Yes, it's true: I am a cinematic genius of taste.
Let's not go nuts.

[Oh, I'm kidding.]

Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
Does that mean you're divorced now?
Are you saying I've not grown up?

But no, I'm not married and never was. Much too old for that, I'm 17.

Are you saying I've not grown up?

But no, I'm not married and never was. Much too old for that, I'm 17.
You're on a good start...keep your head up.

Much too old for that, I'm 17.
17! You old fart. Are you trimming your nose hairs yet?

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Yep Holden's pretty much the man....
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Eh.

Holden knows what is good and what isn't, but he isn't very good at recommending movies to those who don't share his tastes. That isn't to say he isn't a converter, he's drastically altered my opinion on several films over the years, but he certainly isn't a caterer.

Holden is the teacher who actually teaches the class, when sometimes all people want is the cool substitute teacher who lets you play heads-up-seven-up all day.