The Walking Dead: Season 7

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I just love that I post one question I've been curious about, then go out grocery shopping and come back to find the essence of an entire philosophical and medical discussion of the subject.

Fun thread, Mama Yods. Obviously we drink too much caffeine. This convo is much more fun than the show.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I know, right? Plus, I just love that the discussion made all sorts of logical sense. The tiger discussion was a little silly in spots (but still fun), but the fetus/mom discussion had a lot of great logic in it.

I know, right? Plus, I just love that the discussion made all sorts of logical sense. The tiger discussion was a little silly in spots (but still fun), but the fetus/mom discussion had a lot of great logic in it.
Cap was being so serious. It was hilarious.

And yet, informative. I think it actually answered my ongoing dilemma whenever I thought about that possibility: What if a baby dies in utero? (I've had this happen to friends of mine, and it's awful enough without the zombie element, of course. Made me think about it in this context when we saw Maggie getting an ultrasound. Because yes, my brain goes there.)

I like to treat fiction seriously - it's why I love science fiction (which tries to apply science to fiction and vice versa).

And in past episodes (like the one where they met the doctor at the CDC who explained that this phenomenon was the result of a new type of virus) they added an element that took the show from potentially being about anything (magic, spells, curses, religion, etc.) to making it science fiction.

The more serious the better. It's why I love @seanc 's posts because his avatar is so serious.

To be serious for a change, from my own personal experience (once for me and once for my dogs) venom works much faster than a virus. Venom is almost instantaneous whereas a virus incubates over time.

Serious moment over.

And yet, informative. I think it actually answered my ongoing dilemma whenever I thought about that possibility: What if a baby dies in utero? (I've had this happen to friends of mine, and it's awful enough without the zombie element, of course. Made me think about it in this context when we saw Maggie getting an ultrasound. Because yes, my brain goes there.)
]

I've seen this baby in uterus dying before and it kind of puzzles me. Babies are born without teeth and are extremely weak when newborn (never mind inside the womb). So where, exactly, is the danger to the mother? I say this as someone who has had three full term pregnancies. Foetuses can kick but that's about it. And while it's momentarily uncomfortable it's certainly not painfull, in my experience.

Oh man, I'm loving this thread right now. I mean, why can't we have fun with a show we like? I make fun of practically everything that's on my favorites list, but mostly off-line. So now, we have these discussions going on that are making my day.

First off, Earl had a neat idea about Shiva turning into a "Walker Tiger." That would be awesome but I'd laugh if it happened. Still, I don't think it will. We've gone 7 seasons and have yet to see Walker Animals. In Episode 1, Ricks horse got attacked, but to be fair, it was almost completely consumed from what we could see, so I don't think so. Season 2 had Dale finding a munched-on cow that didn't turn. And so on. I don't think animals get the virus. Rick & co. encountered a pack of wild dogs at one point that were vicious but not Walker Dogs.

And Earl, if you want to know something about Shiva, I've read ahead on a WD Wiki and know some things about her, so if you want to know, PM me. Then again, they change outcomes on the show from the comic.

Gangland, that Roar trailer was hilarious, particularly the guy that constantly intoned the title, with as much dread as he could muster, but failing in that department.

Bringing back up the whole question as to whether Walkers/zombies poop, I don't know, but I remember when this show was about in its third year, Craig Ferguson brought up this very question on his late night show and it was the first I'd ever heard someone bring it up. I'd say that there's some kind of acidic enzyme that dissolves human/animal flesh/innards as they're being consumed, but then we had the bloated Walker that had eaten Lori's remains in the prison, so I don't know. I think it all falls within the show's needs at the moment. We had the bloated zombie so Rick would see it, realize that Lori's remains were in its belly and go nuts, which he did for a while. But I don't recall seeing a bloated zombie that had recently consumed somebody, other than that one time. Maybe they stick their fingers down their throats (if they have throats that aren't rotten) and puke up what they just ate so that we have bulimia-stricken Walkers. They're concerned that they'll gain weight so they vomit up what they've eaten (off-screen so we, as viewers, won't be sickened). On a show where blood and guts fly, naturally.

I must give props to Dani8. Some of your replies/comments have me rolling with laughter. Please do not stop.

Captain Steel, I've enjoyed everything you've mused over considering zombie physiology. FOOD for thought. Get it? See what I did there? Okay. Okay.

One more thing about mother-child conditions where being zombified is concerned. Despite what youve said, Captain, I guess it depends on what show/movie we're watching and what their rules are. I know in Zack Snyder's 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead, a pregnant woman, who was almost to full-term, was bitten on the arm, I believe, and was okay for a while (maybe a day, as the movie went) but died and turned, was tied down and gave birth to a zombie baby. That was their take on it, but who knows how TWD would handle it. I would love to see a zombie toddler walking around, trying to bite people on the ankle.

LMAO @ bulimic zombies. Food disorders shrinks needed STAT. Maybe a bit of psychiatric treatment is all that's needed for a cure.

]

I've seen this baby in uterus dying before and it kind of puzzles me. Babies are born without teeth and are extremely weak when newborn (never mind inside the womb). So where, exactly, is the danger to the mother? I say this as someone who has had three full term pregnancies. Foetuses can kick but that's about it. And while it's momentarily comfortable it's certainly not painfull, in my experience.
Well, I've had four babies, so I know what you mean, of course. But then again, I've never had any of my adult children try to chew my face off, so... I figure this is completely uncharted territory for philosophical and medical discussion.

This might be TMI, but I also nursed all my babies, and that suction action is severe. I know babies suck their thumbs in the womb too. They don't feel hungry, though, so... would a zombie fetus feel zombie-hunger, since it wouldn't necessarily feel sated by the placenta/umbilical nourishment the way a non-zombie baby would?

If a postnatal baby became a zombie, would you want to nurse it? I'd be afraid it'd chomp down and draw blood, thereby infecting Mom -- assuming the baby wasn't a zombie-fetus that infected Mom through cord blood.

This is a crazy-fun discussion, BTW. I agree with others who've said as much.

Well, I've had four babies, so I know what you mean, of course. But then again, I've never had any of my adult children try to chew my face off, so... I figure this is completely uncharted territory for philosophical and medical discussion.

This might be TMI, but I also nursed all my babies, and that suction action is severe. I know babies suck their thumbs in the womb too. They don't feel hungry, though, so... would a zombie fetus feel zombie-hunger, since it wouldn't necessarily feel sated by the placenta/umbilical nourishment the way a non-zombie baby would?

If a postnatal baby became a zombie, would you want to nurse it? I'd be afraid it'd chomp down and draw blood, thereby infecting mom -- assuming the baby wasn't a zombie-fetus that infected Mom through cord blood.

There's a movie about a baby that suckles it's mother's blood, Aus. I cant remember the name but I think you would enjoy that. Creepy lil thing.

There's a movie about a baby that suckles it's mother's blood, Aus. I cant remember the name but I think you would enjoy that. Creepy lil thing.
What makes you think I'd enjoy that movie? LOL! Oh sure, I talk a big talk here about this stuff, but I'm not sure I'd want to see a movie scene like that.

Then again, I'm way past the nursing stage, of course, so maybe it wouldn't freak me out so much now.

What makes you think I'd enjoy that movie? LOL! Oh sure, I talk a big talk here about this stuff, but I'm not sure I'd want to see a movie scene like that.

Then again, I'm way past the nursing stage, of course, so maybe it wouldn't freak me out so much now.
LOL. That movie made my nipples close their legs.

OMIGOSH, I just busted out laughing.
You're hilarious. This thread is my new fave, even if I havent been watching the show.

Austruck, you've raised another important question for me: If a baby sucks its thumb in the womb---if it turns zombie in the womb, wouldn't it feel the need to bite its own thumb off? Just wondering.

If a postnatal baby became a zombie, would you want to nurse it? I'd be afraid it'd chomp down and draw blood, thereby infecting Mom -- assuming the baby wasn't a zombie-fetus that infected Mom through cord blood.

Well, what exactly, would a zombie baby have to suck in a womb that would hurt the mother - if I understand your question correctly?

If the baby is born alive, fine and dandy. But if it died in the womb and it turns into a zombie, you'll know the minute it's born because of the eyes. And then you have to kill it like all the other zombies so of course I wouldn't nurse it. What for? It will never grow up. And yuck at the thought, lol!

I think they avoid zombie children though of course there would be millions of them around. I think watching the characters kill kid zombies would be just too emotionally horrifying for most viewers. I've read several very good zombie stories online where there were descriptions of cars found with zombie tots still tied to their car seats suggesting they were eaten by their own parents which, I gotta say, is a revolting image. There was another incident where the characters raised a nursery school to find a cache of medicine and had to put down all the zombie toddlers. The description was heart breaking so it's really not something I'd care to see acted out....😱