Best Movie In a Horror Series

Tools    

On the Poltergeist series, I recall I listed Part II as my favorite but it's been so many years since I last watched them. I'll be re-visiting the original three pretty soon to see how they hold up. I recall thinking both of the first two were equally good but the third falls short though it has it's moments. The remake from two years ago was okay, not the best nor worst remake I've seen.

Some tough choices here:

Friday The 13th: II for atmosphere, IV for SFX, VI for humor.
Halloween: Original. Greatest movie ever made.
A Nightmare On Elm Street: First for atmosphere; first and "New Nightmares" for originality.
Saw: Series sucked from the start.
Scream: First.
Alien: First for creepiness; "Aliens" for intensity.
Predator: First.
Phantasm: First.
Evil Dead: First. Practically comedies after that.
Child's Play: Curse of Chucky.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Original.
Paranormal Activity: Sucked from the start.
Hills Have Eyes: 2006 remake.
Urban Legend: First.
I Know What You Did Last Summer: First.
Prom Night: Part IV.
Silent Night, Deadly Night: First.
The Exorcist: First (original theatrical cut).
The Omen: I for scares; IV for laughs.
Sleepaway Camp: First.
Romero's original "Dead" movies: Apples-and-oranges tie between "Night" and "Dawn".
"Poltergeist": Leaning toward second, for more disturbing villain.

Some good additions there. Forgot The Exorcist, of which I've seen the original and The Beginning, the original is easily better.

Friday the 13th: A New Beginning because it's batshiit crazy.
Halloween (1978) because it's one of the most important horror movies of all time.
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors because it's a lot more fun than the original.
Either Sleepaway Camp sequel works. Found the original kind of bland. The sequels give the killer a personality.
I like The Evil Dead (2013) remake more than the original. Both are cool though.
The first Saw is really good. Saw II is pretty fun as well. The rest are disposable.
Alien (1971) because it's a masterpiece.
Both Romero's and Snyder's Dawn of the Dead are brilliant.
The Hills Have Eyes remake blows the original away.

No strong opinions on others worth talking about. Nobody is pretending the Scream sequels can compete with it.

Friday the 13th: A New Beginning because it's batshiit crazy.
Halloween (1978) because it's one of the most important horror movies of all time.
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors because it's a lot more fun than the original.
Either Sleepaway Camp sequel works. Found the original kind of bland. The sequels give the killer a personality.
I like The Evil Dead (2013) remake more than the original. Both are cool though.
The first Saw is really good. Saw II is pretty fun as well. The rest are disposable.
Alien (1971) because it's a masterpiece.
Both Romero's and Snyder's Dawn of the Dead are brilliant.
The Hills Have Eyes remake blows the original away.

No strong opinions on others worth talking about. Nobody is pretending the Scream sequels can compete with it.
So what'd you think of "Return to Sleepaway Camp"?

So what'd you think of "Return to Sleepaway Camp"?
Haha, I totally forgot about that one. Didn't pass the smell test for me. Stayed very far away lol.

I actually really enjoyed It Follows, it creeped me out

Original Angela Baker > sequel Angela Baker

Also...

Original Angela Baker > sequel Angela Baker

Also...

Original Angela Baker was a mute with zero personality. It was more on her brother to drive the movie. Judy was great though.

Here were my thoughts on the evolution of Angela's character:
Angela "The Angel of Death" Baker might not measure up to the hulking existential threat of Jason Vorhees or the inescapable madness of Freddy Krueger, but she does offer something that neither can: humanity. She's a person. She has a philosophy. She's full of contradictions and convictions and interacts with her victims openly instead of stalking from the shadows or waiting for them to nod off. She's a sadistic D.A.R.E. officer who just wants to go camping and have a good PG rated time.

In this sequel, her childhood revenge fulfillment has steepened into a a desire for a straight up authoritarian police state. Capital punishment now extends beyond bullying to drinking, sex, nudity, voyeurism, and snitching. "I didn't do anything wrong" one victim pleads. "You're going to tell" Angela offers as she strikes down another camper. It's a fascinating evolution of character.

I really responded to her mute lack-of-a-personality (I mean, I can't disagree with you and tell you she had a personality, 'cause she didn't), while in the sequel Springsteen's sister straight up annoyed me and ruined the movie. She was better in the third compared to the second, though. Alas, I didn't mean to criticize you - to each their own - and you're smarter with better reasoning than me. I just go with my gut.

I really responded to her mute lack-of-a-personality (I mean, I can't disagree with you and tell you she had a personality, 'cause she didn't), while in the sequel Springsteen's sister straight up annoyed me and ruined the movie. She was better in the third compared to the second, though. Alas, I didn't mean to criticize you - to each their own - and you're smarter with better reasoning than me. I just go with my gut.
Oh, I'm a happy camper.
I love the summer sun.
I love the trees and forest.
I'm always having fun.

Oh, I'm a happy camper.
I love the clear blue sky,
and with the grace of God,
I'll camp until I die.

I wish she died and the original Angela came back.

I was wrong by the way, the 3rd was the worst one reading my reviews over. So I guess I'd rank the first three as 2>1>3. Someone here was really angry that I said bad things about the first, so you're definitely not alone in preferring it. As far as camp slashers go, I'd rather watch The Burning anyway

Technically I like them all - I shouldn't have said the second was ruined for me because I even liked that one. I even like Return to Sleepaway Camp! Though my expectations were very low.

I thought Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives was the best of the series, by far.

- creepy atmosphere/locations.
- tongue in cheek the entire film
- the mobile home death scene with the face imprint was classic
- opens up like a Bond film and doesn't seem forced.

I thought Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives was the best of the series, by far.
Definitely the most well made. It's like a real movie almost.

Even if not for the Alice Cooper tunes, I would still love "Jason Lives" for even daring to (successfully, for the most part) try the humor route, especially with the pressure on it to redeem the series after the fiasco that was "A New Beginning". And while I thought the 007 opening was a bit much, now that I think about it I have to give it credit, a full decade before "Scream", for self-awareness ("I've seen enough horror movies to know any weirdo wearing a mask is never friendly."). Plus it's got Horshack!

Definitely the most well made. It's like a real movie almost.
It is! I keep thinking of the "hairy turn" scene where Thom Mathews is face planted on the blonde sherriff's daughter's lap and that whole chase sequence. All the other Friday the 13th's seemed very evil and remorseless and perverse and stuck in quicksand. This one was still pretty graphic but kept a lightness to it. Still freaked me as an 11 year old, though. Kind of a Return of the Living Dead vibe to it, which I love. Now that I think of it, Part 5 A New Beginning had its moments for sure.