I hated Arrival. There must be something wrong with me. Help!

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
In that regard, it worked way better than Interstellar.
On this film, I must agree. Although I don't tend to mind sentimental stuff as much as most folks, this film slathered it on in giant gobs. I still like watching this flick from time to time, but man, it definitely spreads it on thick!

MC for the Great Underground Circus
On this film, I must agree. Although I don't tend to mind sentimental stuff as much as most folks, this film slathered it on in giant gobs. I still like watching this flick from time to time, but man, it definitely spreads it on thick!
Yeah. The greatest problem I had with Interstellar is that it focus for way too long on the father and daughter relationship [and all the drama encompassing it]. The idea is all there [and is fruitful in the end] but one could easily cut it to 2 minutes and it would still produce the same effect.

I don't mind sentiments at all, as long as they don't detract from the actual point of the story. Arrival did it very well [it was needed too].

I don't mind sentiments at all, as long as they don't detract from the actual point of the story. Arrival did it very well [it was needed too].
Emphasis mine...

Absolutely. I feel it was a critical component that was needed to elevate Arrival above a dry, clinical examination of language and division in world politics. It does these things, as well, and really well to boot, but I don't think the film would have resonated with me anywhere near as much without the more personal components in place.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
That's fair enough. I'm the opposite kind of viewer, I think. I like sweet and charming movies but in small doses. I much prefer movies going out like Lion or LLL where it's bitter sweet. Gives me more to 'chew on'.

Emphasis mine...

Absolutely. I feel it was a critical component that was needed to elevate Arrival above a dry, clinical examination of language and division in world politics. It does these things, as well, and really well to boot, but I don't think the film would have resonated with me anywhere near as much without the more personal components in place.
Did your read the short story? I haven't. But it seems it was written with the same time jumping and whatnot.

As an exercise in audience/reader perception, the fact that we see the character and daughter relationship from the beginning [when it's actually the ending] makes it worthwhile. It's really well put together.

Did your read the short story? I haven't. But it seems it was written with the same time jumping and whatnot.

As an exercise in audience/reader perception, the fact that we see the character and daughter relationship from the beginning [when it's actually the ending] makes it worthwhile. It's really well put together.
I have not read the story (yet). I plan on it!

That video I posted...the fellow that narrates talks about the technique used by Villeneuve at the beginning of Arrival, and then compares it to something Hitchcock spoke about back in the day. Classic audience manipulation.

I have not read the story (yet). I plan on it!

That video I posted...the fellow that narrates talks about the technique used by Villeneuve at the beginning of Arrival, and then compares it to something Hitchcock spoke about back in the day. Classic audience manipulation.
yes I've seen it a couple of days ago.

I have to put my hands on the book as well.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Have you considered that you may be Transgender?

No, you're definitely not alone. What an overhyped, overrated, melodramatic, cliche-ridden piece of pseudo-intellectual drivel. As much as I disliked Interstellar, that film at least did have some impressive moments - this was just frustratingly dull throughout.

It was OK while the mystery was there but after that first scene with the aliens, it went steeply downhill. Just my humble opinion.

Bruh. Amy Adam's beautiful acting and ESPECIALLY curvy nose is enough to make me be able to watch that movie over and over and over again. Seriously, rewatch and focus on her nose. So good dude.
Ha! I did focus on her nose...it's pointy! not curvy!

There were some needless things on it [the bombing was... meh?], and others that weren't effective as they should have been {the international politics thing as per example]

Also a point later in the movie that makes no sense when we see the trouble of interpreting the aliens through out [so apparently all the language experts people had to do was to get in the same room as the aliens cause they are telepathic. Nice. Way to screw around].
Yeah the bombing thing was dumb, pot boiler stuff...so was the half backed international politics, none of that was needed to tell a deeply moving story.

I liked the way the military controlled the entire area around the alien craft and had everyone there under strict guidance with plenty of security...yet, somehow Amy Adams was able to leave the military compound and head to the ship to take an alien elevator ride...I guess the military personal all had the day off.

Ha! I did focus on her nose...it's pointy! not curvy!

Yeah the bombing thing was dumb, pot boiler stuff...so was the half backed international politics, none of that was needed to tell a deeply moving story.

I liked the way the military controlled the entire area around the alien craft and had everyone there under strict guidance with plenty of security...yet, somehow Amy Adams was able to leave the military compound and head to the ship to take an alien elevator ride...I guess the military personal all had the day off.
Ha! I forgot that tidbit as well.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
That is some nit picky nitiness right there. She would have been viewed as a trusted member of the team by that point, having been on site as lead translator for what could have been months. Could prob go wherever she wanted.

I really didn't like it either but I read nothing about it before watching and only ever saw the original teaser so expected a more alien-heavy story rather than an emotional-oscar-bait movie. My wife says I'm dead inside as sentimental films just make me groan...

“I was cured, all right!”
Okay, so maybe the day I went to see Arrival I was just in a really cynical mood. Maybe it was too over-hyped and my expectations weren't met. But I sat there and found myself rolling my eyes whenever they worked with Amy Adams' story line with her daughter and at some of the more sentimental lines. I guess I was expecting more with the aliens? I don't know. I know I felt like the entire part with the Chinese general and the phone call was just a crazy deus ex machina. I feel like I must be heartless to have laughed out loud at the last line Jeremy Renner said about the best thing about the whole ordeal was seeing her not the aliens. I loved Contact, which is also if not more sentimental so I don't know what's wrong with me. I feel like I must be missing something because everyone I've talked to found it to an amazing film, possibly the best of the year. Does anyone who also did not like it have reassurance to my sanity? And for all the people that loved it, can you help me realize why the movie moved you?
I know how do you feel.
I hated Civil War, X-Men Days of Future Past, Moonlight, Avengers 1 and 2! People loved this films... But Arrival was nice!

Just WAY over-hyped.

“I was cured, all right!”
I watched without even know that there was a fuzz about the movie. I was 100% blind. I was watching because my girlfriend wanted, and in the beggining I was 'Wow this film will be a great garbage' and... I liked! Maybe it was because of this!

Legend in my own mind
I didn't hate it, nor did I love it.

Hope that helps