The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
1. Star Trek The Motion Picture
2. Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan
3. Star Trek The Motion Picture
4. Star Trek III The Search for Spock
5. Star Trek IV Nimoy Saves The Whales
6. Star Trek The Motion Picture
7. Star Trek The Motion Picture
8. Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country
9. Star Trek The Motion Picture
10. Star Trek V What Does God Need With A Starship?

"aint I a stinker?"
I've never seen a star trek movie. Please be gentle.

My top ten guess

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Alien
3. Blade Runner
4. Back to the Future
5. 2001
6. Terminator 2
7. Star Wars
8. The Thing
9. A Clockwork Orange
10. Ghostbusters

Ooh A Clockwork Orange. That and T2 should have been on mine. I need a redo. This is why I never usually guess first.

Turns out that I didn't have Donnie Darko on my list, so The Hidden is the first from there to make it. I had it at #9. As a few have said, it's ridiculously good fun and completely trashy. God knows why I like it. I've put it forward for a commentary a few times, but no takers as of yet.

What is The Hidden about? I've known of it, the poster looks interesting, but I've never seen it, of course.

What is The Hidden about? I've known of it, the poster looks interesting, but I've never seen it, of course.
WARNING: "Potential Spoilers, but not too many..." spoilers below
Without giving too much away it's about specific members of an alien species that can take parasitic possession of a human body and basically use it as a vehicle (imagine, if you stole a car, you probably wouldn't be too concerned about treating it well if you could just ditch it at any time and get another.) The movie focuses on one alien pursuing another criminal alien on our planet, which also makes it an action-packed crime thriller!

I have to share the view of others here that The Hidden is a really great, underrated film. Wish I'd remembered it for the list. My description as to what it's about make it sound hokey, but it is a rip roaring, fun bit of entertainment that successfully spans several genres. Just as Alien perfectly blended sci-fi and horror, The Hidden blends sci-fi with crime thriller, police action, and a bit of horror as well. I don't remember it being huge on special effects, but it makes up for it with story and a roller coaster ride of action.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
6. Altered States (1980)

90. War of the Worlds (1953, Byron Haskin) ~ 20th
88. Galaxy Quest (1999, Dean Parisot) ~ 12th
87. Back to the Future Part III (1990, Robert Zemeckis) ~ I had this on my list, but ran out of space, and had to off it.
82. The Hidden (1987, Jack Sholder) ~ 3rd
78. Escape From New York (1981, John Carpenter) ~ Another movie that I kicked. John Carpenter is for sure on my list, and more than once, but I hope we don't see them listed for a long time.

I own Looper, but I still haven't checked it out. I truly don't believe it would have made my list. I hope I don't change my mind. Not that I want it to suck, or anything.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
thoroughly enjoy BOTH Escape and Guardians but was unable to fit either on my list

My List: 2/25
#7 Strange Days (#81)
#11 Silent Running (#76)

Watched: 17/24

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I haven't brought this up before because I assumed there was no chance of it missing out but if Sex Trek - The Next Penetration doesn't show up I'm gonna be p!ssed

I haven't brought this up before because I assumed there was no chance of it missing out but if Sex Trek - The Next Penetration doesn't show up I'm gonna be p!ssed
I assume you and Miss Vicky are producing films now.

Guardians of the Galaxy is one of the most entertaining movies in years, but I didn't seriously consider it for my list. I guess I was thinking of it as more of a MCU movie, albeit one of the very best. Now Escape From New York is one my favorite all-time movies, and for some reason I didn't include it on the list. Some of the movies that straddle the Sci-Fi line didn't make my list. Although there are a few that might be considered iffy.

I assume you and Miss Vicky are producing films now.
Miss Vicky's posts on this thread have been cracking me up.
I was thinking earlier today how she and "Steve Freeling" would make a great couple (you know how opposites attract) - she seems to like very little, while Steve gives almost everything 5 popcorn boxes!

Miss Vicky's posts on this thread have been cracking me up.
I was thinking earlier today how she and "Steve Freeling" would make a great couple (you know how opposites attract) - she seems to like very little, while Steve gives almost everything 5 popcorn boxes!
And Steve is a straight guy you know!

rodent's favourite thread crew will get me

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I missed Avatar in the movie theater, but I watched it on Blu-Ray, and it looks amazing, but the story is only okay. I have a 3-disc Blu-Ray set that has an extended version of the movie, but I haven't watched that version yet. Has anyone seen the extended version? Is it worth watching?
Extends some scenes, adds some new ones and gives a bit more backstory to Neytiri, but overall it just adds 15min of runtime. Great if you liked the movie and want more, but in the end it's filler. I have the same extended version (mine even has two different extended cuts...or four, as the dvds has their own extended versions) and I like both cuts, but I think I prefer the longer one.

Thanks for the info. My DVD set also has three versions, but when I try to watch the extended version, it gives me a message that I have to add memory to my Blu-Ray player, (and it says the player is capable of adding it), but it's the only disc I have that wants more memory, so I'm just not watching that version unless I find out that it's worth the trouble of finding out how to upgrade the player.

I don't know if we have the same DVD set, but the set that I bought is listed as "Extended Blu-Ray Collector's Edition" with the "original theatrical version, special edition re-release & all-new 3-hour collector's extended cut with 16 minutes of additional footage". It also includes an "Alternate Opening", and "8 hours of never before seen material including over 45 minutes of deleted scenes and more".

1. Star Trek The Motion Picture
2. Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan
3. Star Trek The Motion Picture
4. Star Trek III The Search for Spock
5. Star Trek IV Nimoy Saves The Whales
6. Star Trek The Motion Picture
7. Star Trek The Motion Picture
8. Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country
9. Star Trek The Motion Picture
10. Star Trek V What Does God Need With A Starship?

"aint I a stinker?"

Okay, maybe Star Trek II and Star Trek IV have a chance to make the list, and maybe you could even stretch it to include Star Trek VI, but you think Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek V: What Does God Need With A Starship? have even the slightest chance? Really?

I watched Escape From New York for one of the HoFs here, and it was okay, but it had no chance to make my list.

I considered Guardians of the Galaxy for my list, but I didn't want to include too many superhero movies, so it didn't make my list either.

Seen: 19-1/2 out of 24
My list: 3 so far

16) Source Code (2011)
21) Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
23) Galaxy Quest (1999)

Okay, maybe Star Trek II and Star Trek IV have a chance to make the list, and maybe you could even stretch it to include Star Trek VI, but you think Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek V: What Does God Need With A Starship? have even the slightest chance? Really?
No, not really. It's obviously a joke. I wouldn't vote for the same movie 5 times. (I don't know if Nope would've even accepted such a list.)

Although (tell you a secret) ... 2 of those in that list were on my list of 25!

And yeah, I think Wrath of Khan (at least) will definitely be in the top 25.
And yes, I know Rules and I are among the very few who really like ST-TMP.

No, not really. It's obviously a joke. I wouldn't vote for the same movie 5 times. (I don't know if Nope would've even accepted such a list.)

Although (tell you a secret) ... 2 of those in that list were on my list of 25!

If you were going to vote for the same movie 5 times, it should be something better than Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

And yeah, I think Wrath of Khan (at least) will definitely be in the top 25.
And yes, I know Rules and I are among the very few who really like ST-TMP.