1940's Hall Of Fame Part I

Tools    

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
40s after Sci-Fi. For the record Laura would've been my #1 at this point.
Thanks. Then it will go on the list for the 40s top 100. But that's still about 6 months off or more from starting, right? You usually want some time between top 100 lists?

The Sci-Fi one starts early-mid February so it should be finished early April since these usually take about two months i believe. Then there's usually 3 or 4 months to watch films so yeah looks like the earliest the 40s will start is July. That's why this is 40s Hall of Fame Part 1, there'll be another one after the Sci-Fi Countdown like we did for the 50s.

Goody, more chances to bulk up the watch list. So far I only got the obvious ones I haven't seen like Casablanca...and Gilda come to think about it, don't remember why I put that one on there...no wait! That's because I saw it in The Shawshank Redemption. Other than those it's the noms for this HoF so far, but I guess I'll build up the list as I go snoopin' around and partake in the part 2 HoF.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Nah, i'm pretty sure the only members who have watched more than you are me, Cricket, Sean and Citizen. Two haven't even started yet.

I finished watching (and rewatching) all the movies for this HoF. I just haven't found the time to write about them yet. I'll try to get that done soon.

The Little Foxes (1941)

Slight SPOILERS for the movie again, I guess.

Hoooleee crap, what an unlikable woman Regina is. If she isn't the base for Lady Tremaine, Disney missed a golden opportunity. And the creepy thing is, they even kinda look alike. Lady Tremaine's a bit older, but it's the same general build, same kind of high collared dress, the same pointed chin, even, although the Lady Tremaines' a bit exaggerated. It's as if this is the prequel to Cinderella, two marriages prior. She marries again, get two more daughters, kills off husband #2, finds Cinderella's father and hey presto, we have the disney movie.

Bette Davies steals the show, that's for certain. Her portrayal of Regina as a ruthless woman out to get what she deems she deserves was a powerful one if not a likable one.

I don't know that I'd call her the main character, though. As I see it, there's not a clear cut single protagonist, but it's rather the family as a whole, with Regina, Horace and Alexandra at it's core from which the threads of the story grows. That in itself then has two parts, where one focuses on Regina and her attempts to make the deal a reality, and the other revolves around Alexandra and her development as a character. Teresa Wright makes a comback from Pursued, and while her role has become more focused in the way she acts, her character has about the same amount of ergency on the story. She has no great impact on the story as a whole, other than bringing her father back to the house, but her emotional maturity and final break with her mother seems to serve as the only consequence of her mother's actions. She may get the wealth she always wanted, but she lost her daughter. Here's the point where my semi-serious comparison of Regina to Lady Tremaine falls apart, because despite how she acts, Regina really do seem to care for her daughter. It's neither a warm nor close relationship they share, and in the end Alexandra leaves her, but I do think Regina wanted her with her as she did all the things she dreamt she would do with her money. With her actions, she's effectivley cut herself off from her entire family. I'm not sure if she actually minded that as far as her brothers are concerened, but I think she always thought that Alexandra would be there, letting herself be controlled by Regina.

As far as the male part of the family goes, the stand out, I think, is Ben, the somewhat slimey, always smiling middle brother in the family. Like Regina, he's a more lateral thinker, seeing opportunities and manuovering his other family members into doing his dirty work. While it's the elder brother who comes up with the way to get the money, he's smart enough to keep himself clean (in a legal meaning) while indorsing the plan.

And then there's Leo. What to say about Leo? He's a moron...that's about it.

Over all, not a bad movie, though it's not one of my favourites here. I liked Alexandra, she brought some levity to the film, and I think her growth and interaction with David (bumbling that they are) serves to balance the kinda dark story that this movie is. Davies plays Regina to perfection, as previously stated and poor Birdie, I felt so sorry for her. She never really got anything but abuse from anyone except Alexandra. I was kinda hoping she would leave with Alexandra and David, but we never hear from her again after she gets slapped by Oscar. Poor dear.

A good nom and a good movie. Well picked, Cricket!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
excellent write up, clazor.
WARNING: "I feel the same about Ben." spoilers below
The ante really got raised immensely as the movie continued. Revealing how that initial fawning was far more a tactical ruse and more a guise of the calculating opportunist beneath. A bit impressed by that character aspect because it had me fooled.

I felt pretty bad for Birdie as well having been a continued foil for the family's callousness. Though I believe it was her words that rang the loudest in Alexandra's ears propelling her to her final decision. Giving Birdie a bit of retribution by saving Alexandra from her own personal fate.

And, yes, you really SHOULD watch Laura. Not just for the 40's List but it is one of those must see movies of that time.
Like Camo, It, along with Arsenic was where where my bar was set and the one's to beat for the rest going in; since both have been huge favorites of mine with guaranteed spots in my 40's List already.
The truly fun part is that this HOF continues to challenge that bar, so pretty exciting to see how it works out in the end.

The Suspect

Much of my views have already been expressed and thereby common ground already so I am a bit challenged in my write up.

This is (common knowledge) a blind grab when joining my first HOF and after doing a quick watch before the official beginning I was pretty happy having found it. Adding it to other favorites of Charles Laughton of mine.
Perhaps that is where I should begin.

Laughton had always been one of those powerhouse performers since I was a child; specifically Hunchback of Notre Dame (becoming THE rendition and all others falling to the wayside) and Mutiny on the Bounty, with his famous, cascading roar "Mister ChrisTIAN!" forever ringing in my head to this day - in a very good way.
Along with movies such as Captain Kidd and Rembrandt, in later years, that powerhouse image was cemented. Knowing that he had quite the versatility as an actor I rarely found the opportunity to actual watch the other ranges of his ability.
The Suspect is one of those movies.
His character is quieter, calmer, more tranquil in his bearing. Braving the turbulent seas of a loveless marriage with the dulled acceptance of a man grown more than simply accustomed to it. The fire of previous roles are shadows within his eyes and Laughton does a superb job of playing the cuckold husband who keeps his cool after finally going through with what was dreamed of, for so many years.
Along with him he is accompanied by several actors that bring enjoyment to this story telling. Which is the very basis of this movie. A story telling. This is not a cinematic endeavor, or rather, the composition is secondary and the story comes first. One we are continually placed very intimately in without ever feeling claustrophobic.

This is not an epic movie. A must see or in any form or fashion; grandiose.
What it is: is a very pleasant little gem of a movie that is quite enjoyable to see.

Ed, I enjoyed your review of The Suspect and the movie too. There was only three movies here that I hadn't seen, yours, Pursued and Fantasia, all worthy nominations.

What I really liked about your film is that the acting, the cinematography and direction is intimate...which fits the style of the story...a very personal story told from one man's view. I think if The Suspect had been made grandiose with dramatic cinematography it would have ran counterproductive to the very up close and personal feel the movie has. I mean Charles Laughton feels like someone we care about, almost like we personally know him. I loved that about the movie.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Pursued

It's a nice movie though nothing extraordinary.
Mitchum has a dark aura around him that works great in most of the scenes, but not so well where he has to be in touch with his emotions.
The villain is a pretty weak character, and the love story is quite messy. I like the mother's character and the key part she ends up playing in the whole plot!

-

thanks CR!
I quite agree. Making it grandiose WOULD have been counterproductive. Being up close definitely brings you into Laughton's side of things. Which, considering the scenario, can be a logistic trick to pull off correctly.

Well, I've heard from Ed, GBG, Clazor, Cricket, Raul, and maybe Camo. So as long as Sean doesn't have any problems with adding this back, I'll finish up. My original post, at the start of this thread, that got dumped by my stupid computer, was something along the lines of . . .

Own, and have watched them a lot:
Laura (1944)
Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

Own, but haven't watched it in right around a year and a half:
Fantasia (1940)

Watched early this year, but want to watch it again:
Rope (1948)

Need to buy and watch first:
Pursued (1947)
Murderers are Among Us (1946)
The Suspect (1944)
The Little Foxes (1941)
The Thief of Bagdad (1940)
Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
Waterloo Bridge (1940)
How Green was My Valley (1941)

I think that's it.

Waterloo Bridge

What a truly charming movie!

A wonderful love story (which, with most love stories, includes tragedy). I was very happy with this movie and was swept away with the two starcrossed lovers. The impetuousness fueled by his quick return to the war. Their willingness to get caught up in it all and with one another. It was all quite wonderfully done and the two leading actors both had presence and chemistry and you found yourself falling just as quickly with them. Even with the shadow hanging over with the opening scene of a much older Robert Taylor.

I cannot go into detail about so many aspects and situations that played out without going full spoiler alert, so I'll have to keep this rather short.
All the secondary characters were equally charming and very well played. The camera work added to the romance beautifully and while I foolishly scanned over one of Camo's post/spoiler alert's regarding the ending it was still quite the impact on how it played out.

This is a sad movie, but a very, very beautiful one like a truly good love story should be.
Bravo, CR!!

Laura is back in. I will fix the mess on the front page some other tine. Just watch the damn movies folks.

Hey Ed, glad to hear you enjoyed Waterloo Bridge Even if just one person really connects to one of my nominations, it makes it all worth it Hopefully I can watch Waterloo Bridge tonight.

Laura is back in. I will fix the mess on the front page some other tine. Just watch the damn movies folks.
I AM watchin the damn movies I AM!
no worries, sean! Get to 'em when you can get to 'em

And CR, VERY glad you nominated it!
And somehow I don't think I was the only one who connected and enjoyed it

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

Fantasia

I'd seen this last year for the animated musical Hall of fame and my thoughts haven't changed since then. It feels like an incomplete film to me and I go back and forth between enjoying segments and not. The first half was much better than the overdrawn second half. The Sorcerers Apprentice as a stand alone would make for a pretty good short. That segment is pretty much perfect. I also liked the nutcracker segment. The rest were pretty blah to me. I would say the animation throughout is really well done, especially given how old the film is. All in all, this film is probably more important than I give it credit for, but I don't get full enjoyment out of it.