Lost (Possible Spoilers)

Tools    

I actually think a strength of good tv is in well-done "filler". I partly agree with Guapo, in the sense that you should be able to look back on a series and see an overall cohesion, sort of like a serial novel or series of novels.

Film (relative to tv) typically can't really afford to play around too much and waste time exploring tangents, but a tv series is perfect for the kind of fleshed-out subplots and digressive embellishments of its "world" that usually only novels can get away with.

In skilled hands, those seeming "unnecessary" elements actually add greater impact to the themes, central overarching storyline, what the show's really about.

Of course filler is too often used poorly, but if the writers have a long-term vision then filler episodes can be crafted with that in mind, to expand on their ideas. And filler can also be a way to break monotony (not boredom but literally to break an ongoing tone and segue to another), to let them experiment a little with the characters and deepen them.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I'll also add the thought that with the advent of "House Of Cards" style releases and the "binge viewer" phenomenon, we may very well see shows tend away from that organic evolution Yoda pointed out and toward a more filmic structure.

Do you guys remember that episode with the couple, I think they were called Paulo and Niki, that had to be the most pointless episode ever

Where they both turned out to be crooks and met their appropriate ends? I vaguely recall. Kind of like a Tales From The Crypt episode.

Where they both turned out to be crooks and met their appropriate ends? I vaguely recall. Kind of like a Tales From The Crypt episode.
Something to do with diamonds yeh and they got bit by spiders? But then they weren't actually dead and it turned out they were buried alive. I mean, I didn't mind the episode, but it was absolutely pointless, the characters had hardly done anything previous to that and the little storyline of the episode did nothing but kill them off and didn't contribute to the overall plot in any way I don't think

A system of cells interlinked
Something to do with diamonds yeh and they got bit by spiders? But then they weren't actually dead and it turned out they were buried alive. I mean, I didn't mind the episode, but it was absolutely pointless, the characters had hardly done anything previous to that and the little storyline of the episode did nothing but kill them off and didn't contribute to the overall plot in any way I don't think
Those characters were introduced to boost viewership in hispanic audiences, but the characters got so much crap online and in polls that they decided to kill them off. I recall a story about it at the time.

Do you guys remember that episode with the couple, I think they were called Paulo and Niki, that had to be the most pointless episode ever
Yeah "Paulo lies!" Ol Hugo screwed the pooch on that one

Edit in - Oh you said that 3 years ago

love love love this show. but as the seasons went on its sort felt like they were digging themselfs deeper and couldnt get out of it. the ending was lackluster to say the least.

i read somewhere when they were celebrating 10 years they wanted to bring it back?

love love love this show. but as the seasons went on its sort felt like they were digging themselfs deeper and couldnt get out of it. the ending was lackluster to say the least.

i read somewhere when they were celebrating 10 years they wanted to bring it back?
Was probably a hoax.

well i fell for it lol
however its been so long now so it prob was...or just something they said and didnt follow through on.
dont know where they would go with after the finale though.

my fave storyline apart from the first season as a whole,was prob desmond and his girlfriend

Woody Allen is a pedophille
I'm nearing the end of Season 3 in my rewatch. I'm dreading the finale.
The season 3 finale is the greatest episode of the entire show without a doubt. A watch it at least once a month. It is one of my favorite TV episodes of all time.

A system of cells interlinked
Just finished yet ANOTHER re-watch of the entire series. That would be FIVE times for whomever is counting. I clearly have issues...We watched this time with our good friends Marta and Felicia, and there wasn't a dry eye in the room tonight!

I understand the show is flawed in its way, but for me, no other show attempted so many things, tried so many crazy ideas as far as structure and theme, and few shows have ever been as thought-provoking. Apparently, I will never get tires of watching Lost with good friends.

For the record, I adore the last three seasons, and in fact, I think they are stellar - some of my favorite material from the run. If I really had to pick a weak season, it would be three. This of course does not include the amazing season three finale, which is just aces.

Until next time, Lost. It's been quite a ride, as always.