Best of 2016 (so far)

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
BUMP and update 4 months later.
Yeah, someone else started a similar thread a long time after this one had faded away. I'd say that that was the problem with starting this thread all the way back in March when barely any movies of note had come out - I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually got the idea to start another one of these threads in September.

So far now it's:

1. The Neon Demon
2. The Witch
3. Spotlight
4. The Lobster
5. Free State of Jones
6. The Brothers Grimsby
7. Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping

And I'm looking forward to Swiss Army Man.

I managed to see The Lobster when it got theatrically released here last year (and included it on my "best of 2015" list, no less) so I'm not sure whether or not I should include it on any 2016 lists. I would count Green Room and The VVitch as 2016 films, though - by that logic, I could theoretically count Carol or The Revenant as 2016 films due to distribution issues. It's...complicated.

I forgot The Lobster was actually a 2015 movie. I don't really know what makes a movie decidedly from one year or the other. I guess it's when it does it's initial festival showing?

Something like that, though it seems like a lot of people around here are willing to take it from the year of the wider release instead of the limited initial release. Trying to factor in how Australia tends to get delayed distribution for films anyway and it gets even murkier, hence why I cited The Revenant since it is also a 2015 film that didn't see release here until 2016.

I live in the US and use the same standard as most critics and awards bodies in the country for determining what year to count a movie: initial public screening (meaning non-film festival, something anybody could walk up and buy a ticket to) in the US. All the films on my list had their original American theatrical releases in 2016, whereas Carol, The Revenant, etc. were indeed 2015 releases in America even if they didn't expand to wide markets until 2016.

I live in the US and use the same standard as most critics and awards bodies in the country for determining what year to count a movie: initial public screening (meaning non-film festival, something anybody could walk up and buy a ticket to) in the US. All the films on my list had their original American theatrical releases in 2016, whereas Carol, The Revenant, etc. were indeed 2015 releases in America even if they didn't expand to wide markets until 2016.
So... Anybody could walk up and buy a ticket even before the wide release? Or do you mean no one who isn't American is anyone?

1- The Conjuring 2
2- Green Room

So... Anybody could walk up and buy a ticket even before the wide release? Or do you mean no one who isn't American is anyone?
You must have missed the context here, which is any theater located in the U.S. and screening a movie that's open to the public. Anyone physically at a particular theater screening a movie would be able to buy a ticket and attend, no badges or passes or credentials are necessary.

Has nothing to do with how wide or limited a release may be, how many other theaters it's playing at, etc. And in this case doesn't have anything to do with any theaters outside the U.S. since I live in the U.S. and am referring to my list of movies. There are of course some people who go by first screening anywhere (which would make, for instance, The Hurt Locker a 2008 movie since it premiered at Venice a year before it was properly released and went on to win Best Picture of 2009) but that means you'll be endlessly revising lists of years past because there's so often one or two years between an initial release in a film's native country before it ever plays in America, so you wouldn't be able to highlight worthy foreign films as well if you just go by whenever it was ostensibly first screened. The vast majority of critics and awards bodies apply the same standard I do of first official public release in their home country, whenever and wherever that may be. In the case of films that never play theatrically (Netflix originals, straight-to-DVD, etc.) it's the same guiding principle: when was it first available for public consumption in my country?

You must have missed the context here, which is any theater located in the U.S. and screening a movie that's open to the public. Anyone physically at a particular theater screening a movie would be able to buy a ticket and attend, no badges or passes or credentials are necessary.

Has nothing to do with how wide or limited a release may be, how many other theaters it's playing at, etc. And in this case doesn't have anything to do with any theaters outside the U.S. since I live in the U.S. and am referring to my list of movies. There are of course some people who go by first screening anywhere (which would make, for instance, The Hurt Locker a 2008 movie since it premiered at Venice a year before it was properly released and went on to win Best Picture of 2009) but that means you'll be endlessly revising lists of years past because there's so often one or two years between an initial release in a film's native country before it ever plays in America, so you wouldn't be able to highlight worthy foreign films as well if you just go by whenever it was ostensibly first screened. The vast majority of critics and awards bodies apply the same standard I do of first official public release in their home country, whenever and wherever that may be. In the case of films that never play theatrically (Netflix originals, straight-to-DVD, etc.) it's the same guiding principle: when was it first available for public consumption in my country?
Your original context was clear. I was just kidding.

Another bump and update now that the year is nearly over.

BEST FILM
1. Moonlight
2. Manchester by the Sea
3. The Lobster
4. Shin Godzilla
5. Cemetery of Splendour
6. Jackie
7. Thunder Road
8. Weiner
9. O.J.: Made in America
10. Voyage of Time: The IMAX Experience

BEST DIRECTOR
Barry Jenkins -Moonlight *
Hideaki Anno & Shinji Higuchi -Shin Godzilla
Apichatpong Weerasethakul -Cemetery of Splendour
Pablo Larrain -Jackie
Yorgos Lanthimos -The Lobster

BEST ACTOR
Casey Affleck -Manchester by the Sea *
Jesuthasan Antonythasan -Dheepan
Jake Gyllenhaal -Demolition & Nocturnal Animals
Andre Royo -Hunter Gatherer
Ryan Gosling -The Nice Guys

BEST ACTRESS
Natalie Portman -Jackie *
Krisha Fairchild -Krisha
Kalieaswari Srinivasan -Dheepan
Jenjira Pongpas -Cemetery of Splendour
Amy Adams -Arrival & Nocturnal Animals

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Mahershala Ali -Moonlight *
Alex Hibbert -Moonlight
Lucas Hedges -Manchester by the Sea
Jim Cummings -Thunder Road
Alden Ehrenrich -Hail, Caesar!

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Lily Gladstone -Certain Women *
Kristen Stewart -Cafe Society & Certain Women
Michelle Williams -Manchester by the Sea
Greta Gerwig -20th Century Women
Jarinpattra Rueangram -Cemetery of Splendour
Gillian Jacobs -Don't Think Twice

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Yorgos Lanthimos -The Lobster *
Kenneth Longergan -Manchester by the Sea
Mike Mills -20th Century Women
Apichatpong Weerasethakul -Cemetery of Splendour
Mike Birbiglia -Don't Think Twice
Noah Oppenheim -Jackie

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Barry Jenkins -Moonlight *
Hideaki Anno -Shin Godzilla
Whit Stillman -Love & Friendship
Kelly Reichardt -Certain Women
Kieran Fitzgerald & Oliver Stone -Snowden
Eric Heisserer -Arrival

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Paul Atkins -Voyage of Time: The IMAX Experience *
Diego Garcia -Cemetery of Splendour
James Laxton -Moonlight
Drew Daniels -Krisha
Vittorio Storaro -Cafe Society

BEST EDITING
Hideaki Anno & Atsuki Sato -Shin Godzilla *
Bret Granato, Maya Mumma, & Ben Sozanski -O.J.: Made in America
Sebastian Sepulveda -Jackie
Nat Sanders & Joe McMillan -Moonlight
Nels Bangerter -Cameraperson

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
Seong-hie Rye -The Handmaiden *
Jess Gonchor -Hail, Caesar!
Santo Loquasto -Cafe Society
Pichan Muangduang -Cemetery of Splendour
Jean Rabasse -Jackie

BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC
Nicholas Brittell -Moonlight *
David Wingo -Midnight Special
Daniel Bensi & Saunder Juriaans -The Fits & Last Days in the Desert
Brian McOmber -Krisha
Johann Johannsson -Arrival
Jo Yeong-Wook -The Handmaiden

BEST DOCUMENTARY
Weiner *
O.J.: Made in America
Voyage of Time: The IMAX Experience
Do Not Resist
13th

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Shin Godzilla *
Cemetery of Splendour
Under the Shadow
Everything Will Be Okay
Dheepan

BEST ANIMATED FILM
Kung Fu Panda 3 *
Sausage Party
Zootopia
Finding Dory (all nominees merely by default, don't care for any of them)

1. Green Room (2015)
  2. Everybody Wants Some!!
  3. The Nice Guys
  4. The Neon Demon
  5. Triple 9
  6. Captain America: Civil War
  7. Zootopia
  8. 10 Cloverfield Lane
  9. The Witch (2015)
  10. Eye in the Sky (2015)
  11. Bad Neighbours 2
  12. The Shallows
  13. Friend Request
  14. The Conjuring 2
  15. Keanu
  16. Bridget Jones's Baby
  17. Jason Bourne
  18. Hell or High Water
  19. Our Kind of Traitor
  20. The Infiltrator
  21. Blood Father
  22. Lights Out
  23. Allegiant
  24. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
  25. Ghostbusters

Your Name was I think the only great 2016 movie I watched and it was indeed amazing, best animated film since Spirited Away.
Well, I highly recommend you check out The Neon Demon and The Witch at least.

My current list:

1. The Neon Demon
2. The Witch
3. Spotlight
4. Manchester by the Sea
5. Knight of Cups
6. Arrival
7. The Handmaiden
8. Brothers Grimsby
9. Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping

I still want to see Swiss Army Man, Moonlight, and Mean Dreams. I saw the first 15-20 minutes of On the Edge of Seventeen and it sucked.