Director Dissection with Seanc and Rauldc

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't seen either Empire of the Sun or Amistad because neither of them seems like my kind of movie, but I'll probably watch both of them eventually just because they're Spielberg movies.

However I finally watched Schindler's List, and while I can see why it's considered a masterpiece, it was a very hard movie to watch. I would almost call it "brutal" at times.

But I'm glad I watched it. It's definitely a story that needed to be told.

I haven't seen either Empire of the Sun or Amistad because neither of them seems like my kind of movie, but I'll probably watch both of them eventually just because they're Spielberg movies.

However I finally watched Schindler's List, and while I can see why it's considered a masterpiece, it was a very hard movie to watch. I would almost call it "brutal" at times.

But I'm glad I watched it. It's definitely a story that needed to be told.
A lot of these movies are not easy that is for sure. I could see you really liking Empire, it doesn't have quite the impact in the way Schindler's and Amistad do. I would suggest both eventually though. Really well done films.

A lot of these movies are not easy that is for sure. I could see you really liking Empire, it doesn't have quite the impact in the way Schindler's and Amistad do. I would suggest both eventually though. Really well done films.

I hope to see all of Spielberg's movies someday, even the ones that don't sound like my kind of movies.

A system of cells interlinked
Technically the best or my favorite?

What do you guys think is Spielberg's best movie behind the camera?
I had to think about it for a bit but I think Schindler's List takes the spot for me. I love the use of B&W and when he goes away from that a bit. When I think of Spielberg I tend to think about the way his movies feel, the sets, as opposed to his camera. Some of the things Mark mentioned will probably have me looking a little closer when I watch his movies now though. That being said the tone he sets has a lot to do with where he puts the camera and how he does or doesn't move it. This is where I think Spielberg is amazing. Some people may hate this phrase but I can't think of a movie of his that does not have a "lived in" feel. His films make you feel like you are there.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm with you on Schindler's List, Sean. He made a black and white movie in the nineties. That was a risk, but one that paid off highly and looked magnificent.

What does everyone think of A Color Purple? I like it quite a bit, but don't love it. It has also been a few years since I watched it. I like that it is women centric, unusual for Spielberg.

I would also agree that Schindler's List is technically Spielberg's best movie, and possibly Saving Private Ryan as his second best. However while these are both great movies, they're also both movies that are hard to watch, and I have no desire to see them again so they wouldn't make my favorite movies list.

My favorite Spielberg movies would be CE3K, E.T., Always, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Jaws, with Jurassic Park being an honorable mention.

I saw The Color Purple many years ago, and I remember it being a good movie, but I don't remember much about it, other than I don't really have any desire to see it again.

I recently rewatched The Color Purple after not watching for a good few years and all in all, it's a flawed but powerful work.

Master of My Domain
What does everyone think of A Color Purple? I like it quite a bit, but don't love it. It has also been a few years since I watched it. I like that it is women centric, unusual for Spielberg.
Whoopi Goldberg's performance was brilliant. Perhaps one of my favorite performances ever by an actress. But other than that nothing stood out much, resulting in me not caring about the movie.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It's uneven, but the good parts more than make up for the awkward parts. The film does cover an enormous story, as you can see from this brief four minutes, which highlight a handful of Spielberg touches.