Born Today

Tools    

Paul Lynde rocks!
So does Larry Tate (David White) a lovable weasel.
And Gladys Kravitz (Alice Pearce) a lovable goofball.
And Aunt Clara (Marion Lorne) a lovable confused aunt.

Come to think of it the first seasons of Bewitched was rich in colorful characters. That's what makes a great sitcom, great characters.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Paul Lynde rocks!
So does Larry Tate (David White) a lovable weasel.
And Gladys Kravitz (Alice Pearce) a lovable goofball.
And Aunt Clara (Marion Lorne) a lovable confused aunt.

Come to think of it the first seasons of Bewitched was rich in colorful characters. That's what makes a great sitcom, great characters.

Don't forget about Dr. Bombay.

I also really like the first Louise Tate. The second one was just too negative.

But which Darrin did you prefer? I liked Dick York better.

They also had two different people who played Mrs. Kravitz, but I liked them both.

My nan used to really like Deanna Durbin. It always thought it was a funny name, which is probably the only reason I remember it.

I like the entire first cast better.
Dick York as Darrin
Alice Pearce as Gladys Kravitz (the second one was awesome at being mean, but I liked the goofy one better)
Irene Vernon as Louise Tate

I don't have a preference for which of the 2 Darrin's dad I like.

My nan used to really like Deanna Durbin. It always thought it was a funny name, which is probably the only reason I remember it.

I never really thought about it but, yeah, I guess Deanna Durbin is kind of a funny name.

I think the only movie that I've seen her in is Christmas Holiday with Gene Kelly.

Deanna was mainly known as a singing child star. Sort of competition for a young Judy Garland. As an adult she only made a few films, some of them are pretty good, (that is if you like older films)

Lady On a Train is a film noir of hers, and a pretty good one too.

Born on December 7th:

Eli Wallach - Actor whose career spanned more than six decades, beginning in the late 1940s. He became "one of the greatest 'character actors' ever to appear on stage and screen", with over 90 film credits. On stage, he often co-starred with his wife, Anne Jackson, becoming one of the best-known acting couples in the American theater. For his debut screen performance in Baby Doll, he won a BAFTA Award for Best Newcomer and a Golden Globe Award nomination. Among his other most famous roles are Calvera in The Magnificent Seven, Guido in The Misfits, Tuco in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Don Altobello in The Godfather Part III, Cotton Weinberger in The Two Jakes, and Arthur Abbott in The Holiday. He received BAFTA Awards, Tony Awards and Emmy Awards for his work, and on November 13, 2010, he received an Academy Honorary Award at the second annual Governors Awards.

Ellen Burstyn - Actress whose career began in theatre during the late 1950s, and over the next decade included several films and television series. She has been nominated for six Academy Awards, seven Golden Globe Awards, and seven Emmy Awards. She won the Academy Award and the BAFTA Award in 1975 for Best Actress for Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, the Golden Globe Award in 1979 for Best Actress for Same Time, Next Year, and two Emmy Awards, (in 2009 and 2013). She is one of the few actresses to have won the Triple Crown of Acting. In 2013, she was inducted into the American Theatre Hall of Fame.

Ted Knight - Actor and voice artist who is best known for playing the comedic role of Ted Baxter in "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", Henry Rush in "Too Close for Comfort", and Judge Elihu Smails in Caddyshack. He had a small role at the very end of Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho, as a cell guard who opens the cell door for another officer who gives Anthony Perkins ("Norman Bates") a blanket. He was also a prominent voice actor for 1960/1970s Superhero cartoons, like "The Flash", "The Atom", "Superman", and other hero cartoons, "Super Friends", and the "Justice League". He was most known as the the omnipotent narrator, but he also voice over many of the second string character voices. He also provided narration and voices for the cartoons "The Batman/Superman Hour" in 1968, and "Star Trek: The Animated Series" in 1973. He was nominated for two Golden Globe Awards and six Emmy Awards for Best Supporting Actor for "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", winning the Emmy Awards in 1973 and 1976. On January 30, 1985, he was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6673 Hollywood Bouelvard in Hollywood, California.

James Keach - Actor, producer, and director who is best known for portraying Jesse James in the 1980 film The Long Riders, a film which he co-wrote and produced. He was the director of the 1993 TV series and 1999 film Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, which starred his wife, Jane Seymour. In 2014, he directed a documentary, Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me, about country music singer Glen Campbell and his battle with Alzheimer's disease. In 2010, he received the Ellis Island Medal of Honor. Johnny Cash was the godfather of his son John, and Christopher Reeve was the godfather of his son Kris. He is the younger brother of actor Stacy Keach, Jr., and son of actor Stacy Keach, Sr.

Patrick Fabian - Actor who has played numerous roles in TV series (especially as guest star), and after twenty years of acting, he achieved a breakthrough of sorts in the 2010 horror film The Last Exorcism. Fans loved his portrayal of the flawed exorcist 'Rev Cotton Marcus", and in 2010, he was awarded Best Actor at the prestigious Sitges Catalonian International Film Festival. He is fondly remembered as 'Professor Lasky' from "Saved By The Bell:The College Years". His recurring roles include "Big Love", "Veronica Mars", "Joan of Arcadia", "Providence","24","Time of your Life", "Working Class", "The Education of Max Bickford", "Valentine", and on HBO's "The Newsroom".

C. Thomas Howell - Actor who starred in the films The Outsiders as Ponyboy Curtis, and in The Hitcher as Jim Halsey. He also appeared in Soul Man, Red Dawn, Secret Admirer, Grandview U.S.A., E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, The Amazing Spider-Man, and Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox.

Tony Thomas - Producer who produced the TV series "The Practice", "Herman's Head", "Soap", "Blossom", "Empty Nest", "Benson", "Beauty and the Beast", "The Golden Girls", and "It's a Living". He also produced the movie Dead Poets Society, which was nominated for the 1990 Academy Award, and won the 1990 BAFTA Award for Best Picture. His got his start in Hollywood as an associate producer on the acclaimed TV movie Brian's Song. In 1974, he teamed with producer Paul Junger Witt and Susan Harris to form the TV production company, Witt/Thomas Productions (alternately Witt/Thomas/Harris Productions), which produced numerous successful TV series from the 1970s into the 1990s. He has been nominated for 11 Emmy Awards. He is the son of Danny Thomas, and the younger brother of actress Marlo Thomas.

Louis Prima - Singer, actor, songwriter, and trumpeter who is best known for his role in Walt Disney's 1967 animated feature The Jungle Book, as the raucous orangutan King Louie. He performed the hit song "I Wanna Be Like You" on the soundtrack, leading to the recording of two albums with Phil Harris. He can also be heard on the soundtrack of the cartoon feature, The Man Called Flintstone. He rode the musical trends of his time, starting with his seven-piece New Orleans style jazz band in the late 1920s, then leading a swing combo in the 1930s, a big band in the 1940s, a Vegas lounge act in the 1950s, and a pop-rock band in the 1960s. His music transcends many genres, as he wrote with Barbara Belle and Anita Leonard, the standard "A Sunday Kind of Love", a hit for Ella Fitzgerald in 1947. Later many others from The Harptones in 1953 (Do Wop) to Reba McEntire in 1988 (Country and Pop). Among his many accolades, with such recordings as "Jump Jive And Wail" written by Prima in 1939, and" Just A Gigolo"/"I Ain't Got Nobody", recorded in 1957, he is considered by many as one of the founding fathers of rock 'n roll. In 1993, he was inducted into the Big Band and Jazz Hall of Fame. In 2008, he was inducted into the Louisiana Music Hall of Fame. On July 25, 2010, he posthumously received a Star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame's 50th anniversary, and on the year of his 100th birthday, at 1615 N. Vine Street.

Louis Prima - I Wanna Be Like You (from The Jungle Book)

Harry Chapin - Singer-songwriter who is best known for his folk rock songs including "Taxi", "W*O*L*D", "Sniper", "Flowers Are Red", and the No. 1 hit "Cat's in the Cradle". In 2001, Chapin's "Cat's in the Cradle" was ranked number 186 of 365 on the RIAA list of Songs of the Century. In 2006, he was inducted into the Long Island Music Hall of Fame. He was also a dedicated humanitarian who fought to end world hunger. In 1977, he was a key participant in the creation of the Presidential Commission on World Hunger, and in 1987, he was posthumously awarded the Congressional Gold Medal for his humanitarian work. On July 16, 1981, he was killed in an auto accident on the Long Island Expressway on the way to perform at a free concert scheduled for later that evening at Eisenhower Park in East Meadow, New York. The Lakeside Theatre at Eisenhower Park in East Meadow, New York, was renamed "Harry Chapin Lakeside Theatre" during a memorial concert held one month after his death, as a tribute to his efforts to combat world hunger.

The Harry Chapin Lakeside Theatre in Eisenhower Park in East Meadow, New York

Harry Chapin - Cats in the Cradle

Gary Morris - Country music singer who is best known for the 1983 ballad "The Wind Beneath My Wings", although his credits include more than twenty-five other chart singles on the Billboard country charts, including five No. 1 hits. He has also released nine studio albums, with his 1983 album "Why Lady Why" having earned a gold certification from the RIAA. In 1981, his breakthrough hit "Headed for a Heartache" reached No. 8 on the country chart. He had one of the early hit versions of "The Wind Beneath My Wings". His version went to No. 4 on Billboard magazine's country singles chart, and it won both the Academy of Country Music and the Country Music Association awards for Song Of The Year. He had four solo No. 1 hits on Billboard's country charts, "Baby Bye-Bye" and "I'll Never Stop Loving You" in 1985, "100 Percent Chance of Rain" in 1986, and "Leave Me Lonely" in 1987. He also had a successful series of duet hits with Crystal Gayle, including the 1986 No. 1 country hit "Making Up For Lost Time (The Dallas Lovers Song)" in 1986, which was at one point slated to become the theme to the TV series "Dallas". Their other major duet hit together was 1987's "Another World", which was the theme song of the NBC soap opera "Another World" for many years. His other hit songs include "Lasso the Moon", (the theme song from the movie Rustler's Rhapsody), "The Love She Found in Me", "Velvet Chains", "Between Two Fires", and "Second Hand Heart". In the late 1980s, he starred in the Broadway production of "Les Misérables" as Jean Valjean. The full symphonic recording of "Les Misérables" is a platinum selling, Grammy Award-winning album, and it features Morris' version of "Bring Him Home". His son, Matt Morris, was one of the "New Mousketeers" on "The All New Mickey Mouse Club".

Gary Morris - The Wind Beneath My Wings

Gary Morris - Bring Him Home (from "Les Misérables")

Gary Morris - Lasso The Moon (from the movie Rustler's Rhapsody)

Tom Waits - Singer, songwriter, composer, and actor who has worked as a composer for movies and musical plays, and has acted in supporting roles in films, including Paradise Alley and Bram Stoker's Dracula. He also starred in Jim Jarmusch's 1986 film Down by Law. He was nominated for an Academy Award for his soundtrack work on "One from the Heart". He has been nominated for a number of major music awards and has won Grammy Awards for two albums, "Bone Machine" and "Mule Variations". In 2011, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Tom Waits - Hope I Don't Fall in Love with You

Larry Bird - Retired professional basketball player who played for the Boston Celtics of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He was a 12-time NBA All-Star and was named the league's Most Valuable Player (MVP) three consecutive times (1984–1986). He played his entire professional career for Boston, winning three NBA championships and two NBA Finals MVP awards. He was a member of the 1992 United States Men's Olympic basketball team ("The Dream Team") that won the gold medal at the 1992 Summer Olympics. In 1996, he was voted to the NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Team. In 1998, he was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, and in 2010, he was inducted again as a member of the "Dream Team". In addition to being part of the 50–40–90 club, he is the only man in NBA history to be named Most Valuable Player, Coach of the Year, and Executive of the Year.

Johnny Bench - Former professional MLB baseball catcher who played for the Cincinnati Reds from 1967 to 1983, and was a key member of 'The Big Red Machine', which won six division titles, four National League pennants, and two World Series championships. He was a 14-time All-Star selection, a two-time National League Most Valuable Player, and the 1976 World Series MVP. In 1968, he won the National League Rookie of the Year Award. ESPN has called him the greatest catcher in baseball history. In 1985, he was inducted into the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame, and his uniform #5 was retired by the Reds. In 1989, he was elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. He appeared on 96% of the ballots, the third-highest percentage at that time. In 1989, he became the first individual baseball player to appear on a Wheaties box. In 1999, he ranked #16 on The Sporting News list of the 100 Greatest Baseball Players. He was also elected to the Major League Baseball All-Century Team as the top vote-receiving catcher. As part of the Golden Anniversary of the Rawlings Gold Glove Award, he was selected to the All-Time Rawlings Gold Glove Team. On September 17, 2011, the Cincinnati Reds unveiled a statue of Bench at the entrance way of the Reds Hall of Fame at Great American Ball Park. The larger-than-life bronze statue shows Bench in the act of throwing out a base runner. He is currently on the Board of Directors for the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame.

Tino Martinez - Former professional baseball player who played for the Seattle Mariners, New York Yankees, St. Louis Cardinals, and Tampa Bay Devil Rays from 1990 through 2005. He also served as a hitting coach for the Miami Marlins in 2013. During his 16-year MLB career, he scored 1,008 runs, drove in 1,271 runs, and hit 339 home runs. He had 100 or more RBI in six different seasons, and he was twice named to the All-Star team. He won the 1997 home run derby. He hit a grand slam in the 1998 world series, which was the 17th grand slam in world series history. He was the firstbaseman on the 1988 Gold Medal U.S. Olympic team. He hit two homeruns in the championship game. In 1997-1998, he was inducted into the Sunshine State Conference Hall of Fame. In 2014, the Yankees honored him with a plaque in Monument Park.

John Ramsey - Business man who was the father of homicide victim JonBenét Ramsey. He was the first to discover JonBenét's body in the wine cellar of the Ramseys' 15-room home in Boulder, Colorado, on December 26, 1996, just hours after her murder. He was the police's prime suspect in the murder of his six year-old daughter. In July 2008, John Ramsey and his late wife Patsy were officially cleared of the death by the Boulder District Attorney's office, based on new DNA evidence collected from JonBenet's clothing. This particular DNA analysis did not exist at the time of the killing. JonBenét's murder remains unsolved. John and his wife, Patsy Ramsey, wrote a book, "The Death of Innocence", which was published in 2000, about JonBenet's death.

Happy Birthday Ted Knight! Caddyshack is one of my favorite movies, and Too Close for Comfort was one of my favorite shows.

Happy Birthday Eli Wallach! A legend!

Happy Birthday Ellen Burstyn! Her performance in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore is one of the best I've seen.

Happy Birthday Larry Bird! A Boston legend.

Happy Birthday C. Thomas Howell! The Hitcher is one of the greatest movies ever made.

Born on December 8th:

Georges Méliès - French illusionist and filmmaker who was famous for leading many technical and narrative developments in the earliest days of cinema. He was a prolific innovator in the use of special effects who accidentally discovered the substitution stop trick in 1896, and was one of the first filmmakers to use multiple exposures, time-lapse photography, dissolves, and hand-painted color in his work. He is sometimes referred to as the first "Cinemagician". He made over 500 films includin his films A Trip to the Moon in 1902, and The Impossible Voyage in 1904, which both involve strange, surreal journeys, somewhat in the style of Jules Verne, and are considered among the most important early science fiction films, although their approach is closer to fantasy. He was also an early pioneer of horror cinema, which can be traced back to his The Haunted Castle in 1896. On December 28, 1895, he was a member of the first audience in the world to see the Lumiere brothers' Cinematographe. In 1931, he was awarded the Legion of Honor for his contributions to the art and the industry of motion pictures.

Georges Méliès 1896 Silent Film The Haunted Castle

Georges Méliès 1902 Short Film A Trip to the Moon

Rick Baker - Special make-up effects creator who is best known for his creature effects. In 1981, he was the very first recipient of the Oscar for Best Make-Up for An American Werewolf in London, when the category was first introduced. He holds the record for the most Academy Award wins and nominations bestowed upon makeup artists. He has been nominated a total of twelve times with seven wins, (An American Werewolf in London, Harry and the Hendersons, Ed Wood, The Nutty Professor, Men in Black, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and The Wolfman). He has also been nominated for five Emmy Awards, winning one in 1974 for The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman, and has six BAFTA Award nominations, winning three (in 1985 for Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes, in 1997 for The Nutty Professor, and in 2001 for How the Grinch Stole Christmas). He worked with Michael Jackson on Thriller and Captain EO, and Jackson's song "Threatened" is dedicated to him. When he was in high school, he made his own gorilla costume, and he would go to drive-in movies showing Planet of the Apes, secretly change into his ape outfit, and sneak up to occupants of cars watching the movie, scaring them out of their wits. He was inducted to the Monster Kid Hall of Fame at the Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Awards. On November 30, 2012, he received a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Motion Pictures at 6764 Hollywood Blvd.

Richard Fleischer - Director whose film career began in 1942 at the RKO studio, directing shorts, documentaries, and compilations of forgotten silent features, which he called "Flicker Flashbacks". He won an Academy Award as producer of the 1947 documentary Design for Death, co-written by Theodor Geisel (later known as Dr. Seuss), which examined the cultural forces that led to Japan's imperial expansion through World War II. He is probably best known for directing the 1954 Disney movie 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, as well as the movies Barabbas, Fantastic Voyage, Doctor Dolittle, Tora! Tora! Tora!, Che!, Mandingo, Soylent Green, Conan the Destroyer, The Jazz Singer (1980), and Red Sonja. He also directed a trilogy of films centering on famous serial killers and focusing on the theme of capital punishment: Compulsion, The Boston Strangler, and 10 Rillington Place. In 1953, he was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Director for The Happy Time. In 1960, he was nominated for a BAFTA Award for 'Best Film from any Source' for Compulsion. He was chairman of Fleischer Studios, which today handles the licensing of Betty Boop and Koko the Clown. He was the son of animator Max Fleischer whose animation studio was one of the biggest competitors to Walt Disney's studio.

James Thurber - Cartoonist, author, journalist, and playwright who was best known for his cartoons and short stories, published mainly in The New Yorker magazine and collected in his numerous books. His most famous story is "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty". He is pictured on a 29¢ US commemorative postage stamp in the Literary Arts series, issued September 10, 1994, celebrating the centennial of his birth. In 1960, he received a Special Tony Award, along with Burgess Meredith, for "A Thurber Carnival". He once rewrote Edgar Allen Poe's famous poem, "The Raven", and told it from the viewpoint of the bird. Established in 1997, the annual Thurber Prize honors outstanding examples of American humor. In 2008, The Library of America selected Thurber's story, " A Sort of Genius", first published in The New Yorker, for inclusion in its two-century retrospective of American True Crime.

Sammy Davis Jr. - Entertainer, primarily a dancer and singer, who was also a stage and screen actor, musician, and impressionist, noted for his impersonations of actors, musicians and other celebrities. He is probably best remembered for his cameo appearance on the TV show "All in the Family", during which he famously kisses Archie Bunker (Carroll O'Connor) on the cheek. He was a member of the "Rat Pack" with Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Peter Lawford and Joey Bishop, and in 1960, he appeared in the first Rat Pack film, Ocean's 11. After a starring role on Broadway in 1956's "Mr Wonderful", he returned to the stage in 1964's "Golden Boy", and in 1966, he had his own TV variety show, "The Sammy Davis Jr. Show". In 1972, he had a hit record with "The Candy Man". He had eight Billboard Top 20 Pop hits, including "Somethings Gotta Give", "I've Gotta Be Me", "That Old Black Magic", "What Kind Of Fool Am I", and "The Shelter Of Your Arms". He was awarded the Spingarn Medal by the NAACP, and he was nominated for a Golden Globe Award and an Emmy Award for his TV performances. He was given a gift, of a black sapphire ring, by Elvis Presley , who told him, "This is the biggest black star I've seen, so I'm giving it to the biggest black star I know". In 1987, he was the recipient of the Kennedy Center Honors. In 2001, he was posthumously awarded the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. In 2005, he was inducted into the International Tap Dance Hall of Fame. He was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Recording at 6254 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California. In 1954, he lost his left eye in an automobile accident, and several years later, he converted to Judaism, and he called himself "a one-eyed Negro Jew".

Sammy Davis Jr. - Mr. Bojangles

Sammy Davis Jr. - The Candy Man

Sammy Davis Jr. on "All In The Family",

Flip Wilson - Comedian and actor who in the early 1970s, hosted his own weekly variety series, "The Flip Wilson Show". The series earned him a Golden Globe Award and two Emmy Awards. He was also nominated for two additional Golden Globe Awards, and an unprecedented eleven Emmy Awards. In January 1972, Time magazine featured his image on their cover and named him "TV's first black superstar". In 1970, he won a Grammy Award for Best Comedy Recording for "The Devil Made Me Buy This Dress". He frequently acted as the Master of Ceremonies at the Apollo Theatre in Harlem.

Lee J. Cobb - Actor who is best known for his performance in the 1957 movie 12 Angry Men, his Academy Award-nominated performance in the 1954 movie On the Waterfront, and one of his last films, the 1973 movie The Exorcist. He also played the role of Willy Loman in the original Broadway production of Arthur Miller's 1949 play "Death of a Salesman" under the direction of Elia Kazan. His performance of "King Lear" in 1968, is the longest-running production of the play in Broadway history. On TV, he co-starred in the first four seasons of the popular, long-running western series "The Virginian". In 1959, he was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for The Brothers Karamazov. He was nominated for Golden Globe Awards for Best Supporting Actor in 1958 for 12 Angry Men, and in 1964 for Come Blow Your Horn. He was also nominated for Emmy Awards for Outstanding Single Performance by an Actor in 1958 for the episode "No Deadly Medicine" of "Studio One", in 1960 for the episode "Project Immortality" of "Playhouse 90", and in 1967 for "Death of a Salesman". In 1981, he was inducted, posthumously, into the American Theatre Hall of Fame.

Maximilian Schell - German actor who won the Academy Award for Best Actor for the 1961 American film Judgment at Nuremberg, his second acting role in Hollywood. He was top billed in a number of Nazi-era themed films, as he could speak both English and German. Among those were two films for which he received Oscar nominations: The Man in the Glass Booth (1975; Best Actor), where he played a character with two identities, and Julia (1977; Best Supporting Actor), where he helps the underground in Nazi Germany. His range of acting went beyond German characters, however, and during his career, he also played personalities as diverse as Venezuelan leader Simón Bolívar, Russian emperor Peter the Great, and scientist Albert Einstein. In 1992, he won the Golden Globe Award for his role as Vladimir Lenin in the TV movie Stalin. On stage, Schell acted in a number of plays, and his was considered "one of the greatest Hamlets ever". He was also an accomplished pianist and conductor, performing with Claudio Abbado and Leonard Bernstein, and with orchestras in Berlin and Vienna. In 2000, he received the "Actor of the Millennium" award at The Baltic Pearl Film Festival in Latvia.

David Carradine - Actor and martial artist who was best known for his leading role as a warrior monk, Kwai Chang Caine, in the 1970s TV series "Kung Fu". His acting career, which included major and minor roles on stage, television and cinema, spanned over four decades. He appeared in more than 100 feature films, and was nominated four times for a Golden Globe Award, including his last nomination in 2005 for the title role in Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill: Vol. 2. On April 1, 1997, he was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 7021 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California. He was the son of John Carradine, and the half-brother of Keith Carradine, Robert Carradine, brother of Bruce Carradine.

Kim Basinger - Actress who is best known for her roles as Bond girl Domino Petachi in Never Say Never Again, her Golden Globe-nominated role as Memo Paris in The Natural, Elizabeth in 9½ Weeks, and Vicki Vale in the 1989 movie Batman. In 1997, she won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in L.A. Confidential. Her other films include Blind Date, My Stepmother Is an Alien, 8 Mile, Cellular, and Charlie St. Cloud. She and her ex-husband Alec Baldwin met and fell in love in 1990 on the set of the trouble-plagued movie The Marrying Man. She was the first "Bond Girl" to win an Oscar, and the first actress to win an Oscar after appearing naked in Playboy magazine. On July 8, 1992, she received a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 7021 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California.

John Rubinstein - Actor, composer, and director who is best known for his roles as Jeff Maitland on the 1970s TV series "Family", and as Harrison Fox on the 1980s TV series "Crazy Like a Fox". He made his Broadway acting debut in 1972, and received a Theater World Award, for creating the title role in the musical "Pippin", directed by Bob Fosse. In 1980, he won the Tony Award, Drama Desk Award, Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle Award, and Drama-Logue Award for his portrayal of James Leeds in Mark Medoff's "Children Of A Lesser God". He has acted in over 200 television films and series episodes, as well we over 20 feature films. In 1978, he received an Emmy Award nomination for his portrayal of Jeff Maitland in the ABC series "Family". He has composed, orchestrated, and conducted the musical scores for five feature films, including Jeremiah Johnson, The Candidate, and The Killer Inside Me, as well as composing the scores for over 50 TV movies, and the weekly themes for "Family" and "China Beach".

John Rubinstein as Pippin, and Jill Clayburgh as Catherine, in the original Broadway production of "Pippin".

Teri Hatcher - Actress who is best known for her roles as Susan Mayer on the ABC comedy-drama series "Desperate Housewives", and Lois Lane on the ABC comedy-drama series "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman". She won the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress and three Screen Actors Guild Awards, as well as a Primetime Emmy nomination for her work on "Desperate Housewives". She was the first person to win the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series for a show that had not yet completed its first season. Before she became an actress, she was a San Francisco 49ers cheerleader. In the mid-1990s, a photo of her wrapped in nothing but a red Superman cape famously became the most downloaded image on America Online. Years after gaining fame as "Lois Lane" on the TV show "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman", she played Lois Lane's mother in the "Smallville" episode, "Abandoned" in 2010. In so doing, she became the third actress who previously played "Lois Lane" to later play Lane's mother.

James MacArthur - Actor who is best known for the role of Danny "Danno" Williams, the reliable second-in-command of the fictional Hawaiian State Police squad in the long-running TV series "Hawaii Five-O". His early career included the Disney movies Kidnapped and [/i]Swiss Family Robinson[/i]. He was nominated for Most Promising Newcomer at the 1958 BAFTA awards. In 1960, he made his Broadway debut, playing opposite Jane Fonda in "Invitation to a March", for which he received a Theater World Award. In 2001, a Golden Palm Star on the Palm Springs, California, Walk of Stars was dedicated to him. He was the adopted son of actress Helen Hayes and writer Charles MacArthur.

Dominic Monaghan - Actor who is best known for his role as Meriadoc Brandybuck in Peter Jackson's adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, and for his role as Charlie Pace on the TV show "Lost". He also narrated Ringers: Lord of the Fans, a documentary about The Lord of the Rings fandom. In 2009, he played Chris Bradley / Bolt in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. In 2014, he was nominated for an Emmy Award for 'Outstanding Unstructured Reality Program' for the documentary series "Wild Things with Dominic Monaghan", which shows Monaghan travelling to various locations such as Venezuela and Ecuador to film and interact with the exotic and often dangerous local wildlife. He wrote and recorded the vocals for the tracks "Shadow" and "Maybe", and co-wrote and recorded "Half Fling" with Elijah Wood on Viggo Mortensen's album "Pandemoniumfromamerica". He shares a birthday with his co-star from the series "Lost", Ian Somerhalder.

Ian Somerhalder - Actor who is best known for playing Boone Carlyle in the TV drama "Lost", and Damon Salvatore in the TV drama "The Vampire Diaries". He began modeling at age 10, and he has modeled for Calvin Klein, Dolce & Gabanna, Gucci, Versace and Guess. He was named one of the 'sexiest men' in Glamour's "50 Sexiest Men of 2010" list. On December 8, 2010, he created the Ian Somerhalder Foundation, aiming to empower, educate and collaborate with people and projects to positively impact the planet and its creatures. In April 2012, Ian and big brother Bob Somerhalder opened a reclaimed furniture shop named "Built of Barnwood" where they build and sell pieces themselves. He shares a birthday with his co-star from the series "Lost", Dominic Monaghan.

Matthew Labyorteaux - Actor who is best known for portraying the character Albert Quinn Ingalls on the hit NBC series "Little House on the Prairie". He began working in commercials at the age of seven, having been discovered while accompanying his older brother, Patrick Labyorteaux, to a casting call. He shortly thereafter landed his first dramatic role in A Woman Under the Influence, where he played one of Peter Falk and Gena Rowlands' children. He was also on "Little House on the Prairie" a few season before he played the "Ingalls" adopted son "Albert", when he played a young "Charles Ingalls" (Michael Landon) in an episode where Ma tells Laura and Mary about how she and Charles met. He is also known for the short-lived TV series "Whiz Kids", and his role in Wes Craven's 1986 movie Deadly Friend, as Paul Conway, a young genius who resurrects a dead girl using an artificial intelligence microchip from a robot he created that had previously been destroyed by a malicious neighbor. Most recently, he has worked as a voice actor, providing characterizations in video games and animated features, additional dialogue recording in film and television, and voice-over in advertisements. He is also a skilled video game player. In 1981, he finished in tenth place for Centipede at the Atari, Inc. world championships. In 1982, he became the United States Pac-Man champion at a People-sponsored tournament, with a score of 1,200,000. He was born with autism and a hole in his heart, and both he and his older brother, actor Patrick Labyorteaux, were both adopted. (His brother, Patrick Labyorteaux, also appeared on "Little House on the Prairie", as Andrew Garvey.)

Singers, Musicians, Comedians, Athletes, etc. born on December 8th:

Jim Morrison - Singer and songwriter who is best remembered as the lead vocalist of the Doors. He is regarded by critics and fans as one of the most iconic and influential frontmen in rock music history. He was also well known for improvising spoken word poetry passages while the band played live. He refused to appear at Woodstock because he was paranoid that someone would take a shot at him as he performed onstage. After defying Ed Sullivan and using the lyric "Girl, we couldn't get much higher" while performing "Light My Fire", he and The Doors were never invited back to perform on Ed Sullivan's iconic Sunday night variety show. He is the only performer in rock history to have been arrested on stage during a performance (in New Haven, Connecticut, Dec. 10, 1967). The Doors were voted the 41st Greatest Artists in Rock 'n' Roll by Rolling Stone. He was ranked number 47 on Rolling Stone's list of the "100 Greatest Singers of All Time", and number 22 on Classic Rock Magazine's "50 Greatest Singers In Rock". In 1993, he was elected to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (as a member of The Doors). He and the Doors were awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Recording at 6901 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California. He died at 27 years old, making him a member of the "27 Club". The 27 Club is a group of prominent musicians that died at the age of 27. Other members include Rolling Stones co-founder Brian Jones, guitarist Jimi Hendrix, singer Janis Joplin, Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain and singer Amy Winehouse.

The Doors - Light My Fire

The Doors - People are Strange

Nicki Minaj - Rapper and singer-songwriter whose debut studio album, "Pink Friday", peaked at number one on the U.S. Billboard 200 in 2010, and spawned the top-three single "Super Bass". She became the first female solo artist to have seven singles simultaneously charting on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100. Her second studio album, "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded", also topped the chart in 2012, and its lead single, "Starships", peaked at number five on the Billboard Hot 100. She made her film debut in the 2012 animated film Ice Age: Continental Drift, and she also starred in the 2014 film The Other Woman. In 2013, she was a judge on the twelfth season of "American Idol". In 2013, she became the most-charted female rapper in the history of the Billboard Hot 100, with over 44 appearances. She has won four American Music Awards, eight BET Awards, two MTV Music Awards, an MTV Europe Music Award, five Billboard Music Awards and Billboard's 2011 Rising Star award.

Nicki Minaj - Super Bass

Gregg Allman - Singer, songwriter, keyboardist, guitarist and a founding member of The Allman Brothers Band. His horn-infused solo version of "Midnight Rider" reached #19 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart. In 2011, his solo album "Low Country Blues" was nominated for a Grammy Award for the Best Blues Album. The magazine cover with him and Cher, (his wife from 1975-1979), is one of the most-popular selling ever. His distinctive voice placed him in 70th place in the Rolling Stone list of the "100 Greatest Singers of All Time". The Allman Brothers Band were voted the 52nd Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Artists of all time by Rolling Stone. In 1995, he was inducted with the band into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. In 2006, he was inducted into the Georgia Music Hall of Fame.

The Allman Brothers Band - Midnight Rider

Sinéad O'Connor - Irish singer, songwriter who rose to fame in the late 1980s with her debut album "The Lion and the Cobra". She achieved worldwide success in 1990 with a new arrangement of Prince's song "Nothing Compares 2 U". In addition to her nine solo albums her work includes many singles, songs for films, collaborations with many other artists and appearances at charity fundraising concerts. When she won a Grammy Award in the Best Alternative Music Performance category for "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got" in 1990, she refused to accept it, making her the first recording artist to rebuff N.A.R.A.S. In 1991, she won the Brit Award for International Female. She was ranked #35 on VH1's 100 Greatest Women of Rock N Roll.

Sinead O'Connor - I Don't Want What I Haven't Got

Dan Hartman - Musician, singer, songwriter and record producer who is best known for his songs "Free Ride", "I Can Dream About You", "Instant Replay", "Love Sensation", and "Relight My Fire", all of which had world-wide success. He was a member of The Edgar Winter Band where he played bass, wrote or co-wrote many of their songs and sang on three of their albums. In 1972, he wrote and sang the band's second biggest pop hit "Free Ride". He is probably best known for singing the 1980s pop song "I Can Dream About You" from the soundtrack to the 1984 movie Streets of Fire, which reached No. 6 on the U.S. charts, and No. 12 in the UK. In the 1990s, he worked as a songwriter and producer, and he collaborated with such artists as Tina Turner, Dusty Springfield, Joe Cocker, Bonnie Tyler, Paul Young, and Steve Winwood. Sales of his solo recordings, group efforts, production, songwriting and compilation inclusions exceed 50 million records worldwide.

Dan Hartman - I Can Dream About You

Bertie Higgins - Singer, songwriter who is best known for the Top 10 romantic ballad "Key Largo", which referenced the Humphrey Bogart movie of the same name, and reached #8 in the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 record chart, and #1 in the adult contemporary charts. In 2009, the song was #75 on VH1's Greatest One-Hit Wonders of the 80's. His other singles included "Just Another Day in Paradise", "Casablanca", and "Pirates and Poets", but none matched the success of "Key Largo". After college, he was a drummer for the Tommy Roe band and The Roemans, and played alongside such groups as The Rolling Stones and The Beach Boys. After he left the band, he met and became a protégé of actor/director Burt Reynolds, who saw Higgins' writing potential and tutored him in screenwriting.

Bertie Higgins - Key Largo

Bertie Higgins - Casablanca

Floyd Tillman - Country musician who, in the 1930s and 1940s, helped create the Western swing and honky tonk genres. His only #1 one song as a singer was "They Took the Stars Out of Heaven" in 1944. He previously had a #2 hit with the song "I'm Gonna Change All My Ways". His other hit songs include "I Love You So Much It Hurts", "Slippin' Around", which was one of the first country western "cheating" songs, "I'll Never Slip Around Again", and "Each Night At Nine". In 1970, he was inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame. In 1984, he was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Floyd Tillman - They Took The Stars Out Of Heaven

Sam Kinison - Stand-up comedian and actor who was known for his intense, harsh and politically incorrect humor that was punctuated by his trademark scream. He made his film debut in Rodney Dangerfield's 1986 film Back to School, playing a short-tempered professor. He was a long-time heavy drinker and drug user, and ironically, he was tragically killed in a traffic accident by a drunk driver.

Kevin Harvick - NASCAR driver who drives the No. 4 Budweiser/Jimmy John's Chevrolet SS for Stewart-Haas Racing in the Sprint Cup Series. He is the former owner of Kevin Harvick Incorporated, a race team that ran in the Nationwide Series and the Camping World Truck Series between 2004 and 2011. He is the reigning NASCAR Sprint Cup champion after winning the title in 2014. In 2001, he was the Nascar Winston Cup Series Rookie of the Year, and the Nascar Busch Series Champion. He won the 2003 Brickyard 400, and the 2007 Daytona 500. After the late Dale Earnhardt's death, he took over driving duties for the GM Goodwrench car. The car's number was changed from 3 to 29.

Yesterday, December 8th, you missed Ernest Lehman (born 1915), a great screenwriter from the 1950s through 1970s. His most famous screen credit will always be North by Northwest, in which he set out to write "the Hitchcock picture to end all Hitchcock pictures", and just about did. He was nominated for the Oscar, though inexplicably lost to Pillow Talk that year. He would garner six nominations, overall, but never win a competitive statue from the Academy. He did, however, get an honorary Oscar in 2001 "in appreciation of a body of varied and enduring work." Sweet Smell of Success was adapted from his own novella, with Clifford Odets. He wrote the screenplays for both Oscar-winning Musicals West Side Story and The Sound of Music, and before that he'd brought The King and I to the big screen and ultimately about killed off the big budget Hollywood Musical with Gene Kelly's Hello, Dolly!

He adapted Albee for Mike Nichols' debut Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, and some of his other credits include Billy Wilder's Sabrina, Robert Wise's Executive Suite and Somebody Up There Likes Me, Mark Robson's The Prize and From the Terrace, John Frankenheimer's thriller Black Sunday, and Hitchcock's final film Family Plot. He did get a chance to direct, but it was a failed adaptation of Philip Roth's Portnoy's Complaint with Richard Benjamin that stood as his only foray calling all the shots. Ernie Lehman also served as WGA President from 1983-1985.

I got to meet Lehman once, at a film festival in the late 1990s. He and Eva Marie Saint attended a screening of North by Northwest, with a Q&A, afterwards. I actually met him the next day, at a screening of another film that he didn't write, got to talk with him for a few minutes. Super nice fella, and a great career.

Lehman died in 2005, at the age of eighty-nine.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	lehman vanity.jpeg
Views:	5000
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	18773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ernie.jpg
Views:	4284
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	18774  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Born December 9th, 1930 was Buck Henry. Buck is a writer, director, and actor. Perhaps best known in front of the camera for his stints hosting on "Saturday Night Live" in the 1970s or in the supporting to cameo roles in projects he himself had written, Buck Henry's primary legacy is as the co-creator of the TV show "Get Smart" and in film for his collaborations with first Mike Nichols and then Warren Beatty, including The Graduate, Catch-22, and Heaven Can Wait, receiving Oscar nominations for his screenplay on The Graduate and as co-director on Heaven Can Wait.

Attachments

Name:	Buck.jpg
Views:	4603
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	18776   Click image for larger version

Name:	catch.jpg
Views:	4376
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	18777  

Born December 9, 1905 was Dalton Trumbo, a screenwriter and novelist whose great successes were tempered by and put on hold for (or at least driven underground by) the infamous Hollywood Blacklist during the McCarthy Era. He was probably the biggest name in The Hollywood Ten, nine screenwriters and one director in 1947 who were cited for contempt of Congress by the House Un-American Activities Committee and banned from working. Trumbo did continue to work in spite of the Blacklist, under either pseudonyms or by using fronts with producers willing to take the risk of being caught working with an accused Communist in that climate of fear and persecution. Perhaps the most famous film he wrote in the middle of that period was William Wyler's romantic comedy Roman Holiday starring Audrey Hepburn, which won the Oscar for its writing. A few years later, The Brave One also won the Oscar. Both Academy Awards were many years later correctly co-credited to Trumbo. Otto Preminger's Exodus and Stanley Kubrick's Spartacus were the first two big productions, in 1960, to break the Blacklist and give Trumbo his proper screen credit. Lonely Are the Brave and Papillon were two of his best films from the post-Blacklist portion of his career.

He died in 1976, at the age of seventy.

Attachments

Name:	Trumbo.jpg
Views:	4595
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	18778  

Yesterday, December 8th, you missed Ernest Lehman (born 1915), a great screenwriter from the 1950s through 1970s. His most famous screen credit will always be North by Northwest, in which he set out to write "the Hitchcock picture to end all Hitchcock pictures", and just about did. He was nominated for the Oscar, though inexplicably lost to Pillow Talk that year. He would garner six nominations, overall, but never win a competitive statue from the Academy. He did, however, get an honorary Oscar in 2001 "in appreciation of a body of varied and enduring work." Sweet Smell of Success was adapted from his own novella, with Clifford Odets. He wrote the screenplays for both Oscar-winning Musicals West Side Story and The Sound of Music, and before that he'd brought The King and I to the big screen and ultimately about killed off the big budget Hollywood Musical with Gene Kelly's Hello, Dolly!

He adapted Albee for Mike Nichols' debut Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, and some of his other credits include Billy Wilder's Sabrina, Robert Wise's Executive Suite and Somebody Up There Likes Me, Mark Robson's The Prize and From the Terrace, John Frankenheimer's thriller Black Sunday, and Hitchcock's final film Family Plot. He did get a chance to direct, but it was a failed adaptation of Philip Roth's Portnoy's Complaint with Richard Benjamin that stood as his only foray calling all the shots. Ernie Lehman also served as WGA President from 1983-1985.

I got to meet Lehman once, at a film festival in the late 1990s. He and Eva Marie Saint attended a screening of North by Northwest, with a Q&A, afterwards. I actually met him the next day, at a screening of another film that he didn't write, got to talk with him for a few minutes. Super nice fella, and a great career.

Lehman died in 2005, at the age of eighty-nine.

Thanks for letting me, and everyone else, know about Ernest Lehman.

I try to include as many people as possible every day, but I'm sure I miss some people every day. (But he was definitely too big of a name to miss. )

Any time anyone notices someone who I missed, please feel free to add their name and information to the thread.

BTW Holden, you do a much nicer job with pictures and text than I do, so anytime that you want to add to this thread, it will be greatly appreciated.

Born on December 9th:

Kirk Douglas - Actor who is one of the last remaining stars of the Golden Age of Hollywood. His films include Out of the Past, Champion, The Bad and the Beautiful, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Paths of Glory, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, The Vikings, Spartacus, Lonely Are the Brave, Seven Days in May, Saturn 3, and Tough Guys. He played an instrumental role in ending the Hollywood blacklist in 1960 by openly crediting Dalton Trumbo as the writer of Spartacus' screenplay. He also shares a birthday with Dalton Trumbo. He is No. 17 on the American Film Institute's list of the greatest male screen legends in American film history, making him the highest-ranked living person on the list. In 1997, he was ranked #53 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list. He was voted the 36th Greatest Movie Star of all time by Entertainment Weekly. He has been nominated for three Academy Awards, three Golden Globe Awards, three Emmy Awards, and one BAFTA Award. In 1968, he received the Cecil B. DeMille Award at the Golden Globe Awards. In 1996, he received the Academy Honorary Award "for 50 years as a creative and moral force in the motion picture community". In 1984, he was inducted into the Hall of Great Western Performers of the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum. On February 8, 1960, he received a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame is at 6263 Hollywood Blvd. He is the father of actor Michael Douglas.

Margaret Hamilton - Actress who is best known for her portrayal of the Wicked Witch of the West in Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer's 1939 classic film The Wizard of Oz. The Wicked Witch of the West was ranked No. 4 in the American Film Institute's 2003 list of the 50 Best Movie Villains of All Time, making her the top ranking female villain. She often signed her autographs with the notation of "WWW" (Wicked Witch of the West). It is ironic that her performance as the Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz was so scary to children, because her first job was as a kindergarten teacher. She loved children all her life. Until the day she died, she had children recognizing her and coming up to her to ask why she was so mean to Dorothy. She became very concerned about the role's effect on children, and finally did a guest spot on the TV show "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" to explain that the Witch was just a character in the film, and not herself. She wore the same costume for two productions, 26 years apart. The dress she wore as Miss Gulch in The Wizard of Oz in 1939 was worn again when she played Grandma Frump in "The Addams Family" in 1965. In 1976, she spoofed her famous role of The Wicked Witch of The West in the "Paul Lynde Halloween Special" for television. She portrayed the sister of Witchiepoo from "H.R. Pufnstuf", being spoofed by actress Billie Hayes.

Margaret Hamilton as The Wicked Witch of the West from The Wizard of Oz, and as Cora, The Maxwell House Lady

Douglas Fairbanks Jr. - Actor who was the son of future silent era swashbuckling idol 'Douglas Fairbanks', and appeared in approximately 100 movies or TV shows. His acting career started slow, but it picked up when he married Lucille Le Sueur, a young starlet who was soon to become better known as Joan Crawford. His most memorable role was the British soldier in Gunga Din (1939). He is also known as the hapless partner of Edward G. Robinson in Little Caesar (1931), the villain in The Prisoner of Zenda (1937), as well as more debonair characters in slapstick comedies or adventure yarns. He held the Silver Star and the Legion of Merit with V for valor in combat device from the U.S. government for his combat service in PT boats and gunboats. He was awarded the British Distinguished Service Cross, the French Legion of Honor and Croix de Guerre with Palm for his services during World War II. He was awarded 3 Stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Motion Pictures at 6318 Hollywood Boulevard, for Radio at 6710 Hollywood Boulevard, and for Television at 6661 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California.

Broderick Crawford - Actor who is best remembered for his roles as Willie Stark in All the King's Men (1949), as Chief Dan Matthews on the syndicated TV series "Highway Patrol" (1955), and as Judy Holliday's boisterous boyfriend in Born Yesterday (1950). He won the Academy Award, the Golden Globe Award, and the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor for All the King's Men. He has two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, one for motion pictures at 6901 Hollywood Boulevard and another for television at 6734 Hollywood Boulevard.

Judi Dench - English actress who made her professional debut in 1957 with the Old Vic Company, playing in several of Shakespeare's plays in such roles as Ophelia in "Hamlet", Juliet in "Romeo and Juliet", and Lady Macbeth in "Macbeth". In 1966, she branched into film work, and won a BAFTA Award as Most Promising Newcomer. In 19686, she drew strong reviews for her leading role in the musical "Cabaret", although she is not generally known as a singer. She was the first female to portray the 007 series character "M" which she did starting with the 1995 movie GoldenEye, through the 2012 movie Skyfall. She is a seven-time Oscar nominee. She has received nominations for her roles in Mrs. Brown, Shakespeare in Love, Chocolat, Iris, Mrs Henderson Presents, Notes on a Scandal, and Philomena. In addition to her 7 Oscar nominations, she has been nominated for 11 Golden Globes, 3 Emmy Awards, 26 BAFTAs, and numerous other awards. Her other competitive awards won include ten BAFTAs, six Olivier Awards, two Screen Actors Guild Awards, two Golden Globes, an Academy Award, and a Tony Award. She has also received the BAFTA Fellowship (2001) and the Special Olivier Award (2004). In June 2011, she received a fellowship from the British Film Institute (BFI). She was made an OBE in 1970 and a Dame (DBE) in 1988, by Queen Elizabeth II for services to the performing arts. She was ranked second in the 2001 Orange Film Survey of the greatest British Film Actresses. In 2005, she was voted Best British Actress of all time in a poll for Sky TV. As of 2014, received seven Oscar nominations, all of them when she was already over the age of 60. No other actor or actress collected more nominations when older than 60.

Emmett Kelly - Clown usually in sad-faced hobo's makeup although on some occasions he sported classic whiteface, with the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, who acted in a handful of films. He was originally a member of the Knickerbocker Circus and helped rescue several children when the circus tent caught fire, killing a number of people. The event was known forever after as "the day when the clowns cried". He wrote and published his memiors: "Clown" in l954. His son, Emmett Kelly Jr. (d. 2006) followed in his footsteps to become a circus clown. Inducted into the International Clown Hall of Fame in 1989. Inducted into the Hall of Famous Missourians in 1996.

John Malkovich - Actor, director, and producer who has appeared in more than 70 motion pictures, including his roles in Places in the Heart and In the Line of Fire, for which he received Academy Award nominations. He has also appeared in films such as Empire of the Sun, The Killing Fields, Dangerous Liaisons, Of Mice and Men, Being John Malkovich, Burn After Reading, RED, and Warm Bodies, as well as producing films such as Juno and The Perks of Being a Wallflower. In addition to his two Oscar nominations, he has also been nominated for three Golden Globe Awards, three Emmy Awards, and one BAFTA Award, winning an Emmy Award in 1986 for playing Biff Loman in "Death of a Salesman". In 1999, he became the first actor to win a major award, (New York Film Critics Award), for portraying himself in a non-cameo role in a movie. The film was Being John Malkovich.

John Cassavetes - Actor, director and screenwriter who was a pioneer of American independent film, by writing and directing over a dozen movies, some of which he partially self-financed, which pioneered the use of improvisation and a realistic cinéma vérité style. He also acted in many films, including Rosemary's Baby (1968) and The Dirty Dozen (1967). He and his wife Gena Rowlands made ten movies together. He is one of only a few filmmakers to be nominated for best directing, (for A Woman Under the Influence in 1975), writing, (for Faces in 1969), and acting (for The Dirty Dozen in 1968), Oscars over the course of their lifetime. He was also nominated for four Golden Globe Awards, one Emmy Award. two BAFTA Awards, and three Writers Guild of America (WGA) Awards.

Beau Bridges - Actor and director who is a three-time Emmy winner, two-time Golden Globe winner, and a one-time Grammy Award winner. He is also a two-time Screen Actors Guild Award nominee. He has 14 Emmy Award nominations with three wins: in 1992 for "Without Warning: The James Brady Story", in 1993 for "The Positively True Adventures of the Alleged Texas Cheerleader-Murdering Mom", and in 1997 for "The Second Civil War". In 1989, in perhaps his best known role, he starred opposite his brother Jeff as one of The Fabulous Baker Boys. On April 7, 2003, he was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, next to the stars of his younger brother Jeff Bridges, and his father Lloyd Bridges.

Redd Foxx - Comedian and actor who is best remembered for his explicit comedy records and his starring role on the 1970s sitcom "Sanford and Son". He was nominated for four Golden Globe Awards and three Emmy Awards, winning the Emmy Award in 1973, for his role on "Sanford and Son". In 2004, "Comedy Central Presents: 100 Greatest Stand-ups of All Time" ranked him as the 24th best stand-up comedian. In 2004, Fred Sanford, his character on "Sanford and Son", was ranked #42 in TV Guide's list of the "50 Greatest TV Dads of All Time". On "Sanford and Son", one of the main characteristics of his character Fred Sanford was that he had a weak heart and that he always knew that the day for "The Big One" would eventually come. It was a trademark of the show that he would fake a heart attack in the face of some shocking news. In one of the bitterest ironies, when he finally did experience the "The Big One," it was a heart attack and those around him thought he was just joking around and didn't seek immediate help. On May 17, 1992, he was posthumously given a star on the St. Louis Walk of Fame.

Dick Van Patten - Actor who is best known for his role as patriarch Tom Bradford on the TV series "Eight is Enough". In 2004, Tom Bradford, his character on "Eight Is Enough", was ranked #33 in TV Guide's list of the "50 Greatest TV Dads of All Time". He also appeared in many feature films including Mel Brooks' High Anxiety, Spaceballs, and Robin Hood: Men in Tights, Charlton Heston's Soylent Green and the Academy Award-winning Charly. As an animal welfare advocate, he is the founder of Natural Balance Pet Foods and National Guide Dog Month. On January 12, 2008, he received a star on the Palm Springs Walk of Stars. On November 20, 1985, he received a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Television at 1541 N. Vine Street.

Michael Dorn - Actor and voice artist who is best known for his role as the Klingon Worf in the "Star Trek" franchise. From his first appearance in the "Star Trek: The Next Generation" pilot episode, "Encounter at Farpoint", to his latest in Star Trek Nemesis, he has appeared more times as a regular cast member than any other actor of the "Star Trek" franchise, spanning five movies and 272 television episodes. He also appeared as Worf's namesake, Colonel Worf in the film Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. He had supporting roles in a number of independent feature films, including Shadow Hours (2000), Lessons for an Assassin (2001), and the Santa Clause trilogy, where he appeared in a cameo role as 'The Sandman'. He is an accomplished pilot and the owner of several aircraft. He has flown with the Blue Angels and the United States Air Force Precision Flight team. He supplied the voice to I.M. Weasel, protagonist of the animated series "I Am Weasel", the voice of the Martian Centurion Robots in cartoon "Duck Dodgers", the voice of the Minotaur in Disney's 1998 TV series "Hercules", and the voice of Kraven the Hunter in "Spider-Man: The New Animated Series".

Simon Helberg - Actor and comedian who is best known for his role as Howard Wolowitz in the sitcom "The Big Bang Theory", for which he won the Critics' Choice Television Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series. He has appeared on the sketch comedy series "MADtv", and is also known for his role as Moist in the Joss Whedon-led web miniseries Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. In two years, he appeared in three different productions about the behind-the-scenes details of the television industry. Those productions are Good Night, and Good Luck in 2005, The TV Set in 2006, and "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" in 2006. He does remarkable voice imitations of Nicolas Cage and Al Pacino.

Donny Osmond - Singer, musician, actor, dancer, TV game show host, and former teen idol who is best known as The Osmonds, with four of his elder brothers, and as Donny & Marie, with his younger sister Marie. His first appearance was on TV's "The Andy Williams Show" on December 10, 1963, one day after his 6th birthday. In the early 1970s, he went solo, covering such hits as "Go Away Little Girl" and "Puppy Love". From 1992-1998, he played the lead role as Joseph in the North American tour of the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat". Creator Andrew Lloyd Webber, impressed by Osmond's talents and the show's successful six-year run, chose him for the 1999 film version. In 2005, he was ranked #14 in TV Guide's list of "TV's 25 Greatest Teen Idols". In 2009, he won the ninth season of "Dancing with the Stars". On July 11, 2011 Donny won an international radio award. That was also the same day, during his show with Marie, that he stepped on Marie's foot and almost broke it. From 2000-2003, he was nominated for five Daytime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Talk Show Host or Outstanding Game Show Host. The Osmonds were awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Recording at 7080 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California.

Donny Osmond - Puppy Love (1972)

Donny Osmond - Any Dream Will Do (from ""Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat")

Morton Downey Jr. - Chain-smoking talk show host who became a household name when "The Morton Downey, Jr. Show" was launched in syndication in 1987. The show generated such controversy that many stations aired numerous disclaimers before and after the show. The controversy arose from debates between guests that often turned physical. The show created a legion of fans and made Downeyisms like "Zip it!" and "Loudmouth" a part of 80's American pop culture.

Dick Butkus - NFL Football player who was a first-round draft pick of the Chicago Bears, with whom he spent nine years as a linebacker (1965-1973) and appeared in eight straight Pro Bowls (1965-1972). Considered to be the meanest linebacker ever to play football. Elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1979. Inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1983. Inducted into the ESPN Chicago Hall of Fame in 2011 (inaugural class). His uniform number 51 was retired by the Bears. Shares a birthday with fellow Pro Football Hall of Fame member Deacon Jones.

Deacon Jones - NFL Football player. Defensive left end who played for the Los Angeles Rams (1961-1971), San Diego Chargers (1972-1973) and Washington Redskins (1974). Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1980. Inducted into the South Carolina Athletic Hall of Fame in 1980. Inducted into the Central Florida Sports Hall of Fame in 1981. Inducted into the Florida Sports Hall of Fame in 1983. Inducted into the South Carolina State University Athletics Hall of Fame in 1983. Inducted into the Southwestern Athletic Conference in 1994. Inducted into the Mississippi Valley State University Athletics Hall of Fame in 2006. Shares a birthday with fellow Pro Football Hall of Fame member and Miller Lite pitchman Dick Butkus.

Kurt Angle - Professional wrestler who is best known for his tenure in the World Wrestling Federation/Entertainment (WWF, now WWE). He has bench pressed 420 pounds and has squatted 630 pounds. He is a 1996 Olympic Gold Medal winner in the 220lbs weight category. He was the first ever wrestler to hold the WCW and WWF World Championships during the same calendar year, and has held WWF, Intercontinental, European and Hardcore championships all on separate occasions. He is the only pro wrestler inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame (in 2001). After leaving the WWE, he joined TNA, where he became a five-time TNA World Heavyweight Champion, a two-time TNA World Tag Team Champion and a one-time TNA X Division Champion, the second Triple Crown winner in TNA history and the only one to hold all the required titles at once. He has won 12 world championships and 20 total championships. In 2010, the Wrestling Observer Newsletter named Angle the Wrestler of the Decade of the 2000s. In 2013, he became the second inductee into the TNA Hall of Fame.

Thomas P. 'Tip' O'Neill - Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives (1977-1987).

Also born December 9th...

Felicity Huffman (born 1962), an actress primarily known for her television work, first on Aaron Sorkin's "Sports Night", then a stint on the hit "Fraiser", before becoming a star on ABC's "Desperate Housewives" for eight seasons. She won an Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy for that one, and also garnered an Oscar nomination for her turn in the indie Transamerica. She has been married to William H. Macy since 1997, meeting through mutual friend and collaborator David Mamet.

Junior Wells (born 1934), a great Blues harmonica player and singer. Born in Memphis, TN, but definitely made his bones in Chicago, paying homage to those went before him while blazing his own trail. His cousin, Junior Parker, also had a career, but Wells was bigger, partnering with Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, Albert King, John Mayall and other Blues greats, and sometimes even had crossover projects and tours with the likes of The Rolling Stones and Van Morrison. His most famous song, his signature, is definitely "Messin' with the Kid", which is now a modern Blues standard and was covered by, among many others, The Blues Brothers on their first album.

Wells died in 1998, at the age of sixty-three.

Attachments

Name:	Huffman.jpg
Views:	4338
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	18779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Junior.jpg
Views:	4368
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	18780  

Born on December 10th

Dorothy Lamour - Actress and singer who is best remembered for appearing in the Road to... movies, a series of successful comedies starring Bing Crosby and Bob Hope. She began her career in the 1930s as a big band singer. In 1936, she moved to Hollywood where she signed with Paramount Pictures. Her appearance as "Ulah" in The Jungle Princess brought her fame, when she stole the show in her wrap-around sarong. This marked the beginning of her image as the "Sarong Queen", as she appeared in the sarong in other movies including The Hurricane, Typhoon, Beyond the Blue Horizon and Donovan's Reef. She was awarded 2 Stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Motion Pictures at 6332 Hollywood Boulevard; and for Radio at 6240 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California.

Kenneth Branagh - Actor, director, producer and screenwriter who has directed or starred in several film adaptations of William Shakespeare's plays, including Henry V, (for which he was nominated for the Academy Awards for Best Actor and Best Director), Much Ado About Nothing, Othello, Hamlet, (for which he was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay), Love's Labour's Lost, and As You Like It. He has also starred in numerous other films and TV series including Fortunes of War, Wild Wild West, The Road to El Dorado, Conspiracy, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Valkyrie, and My Week with Marilyn, (for which he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor). He has directed such notable films as Dead Again in which he also starred, Swan Song, (Academy Award nominated for Best Live Action Short Film), Mary Shelley's Frankenstein in which he also starred, The Magic Flute, Sleuth, the blockbuster superhero film Thor and the action thriller Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit in which he also co-stars. He has been nominated for five Academy Awards, five Golden Globes, and has won an Emmy and three BAFTAs. With his nomination for Best Performance By an Actor in a Supporting Role, he became the fourth person, along with Walt Disney, Warren Beatty and George Clooney, to be nominated for Academy Awards in five different categories.

Michael Clarke Duncan - Actor who is best known for his breakout role as John Coffey in The Green Mile, for which he was nominated for an Academy Award and a Golden Globe. He is also known for his roles in the movies Armageddon, The Whole Nine Yards, The Scorpion King and Daredevil, as well as voice acting roles in works such as Brother Bear, Kung Fu Panda and Green Lantern. He did bodyguard work for Will Smith, Martin Lawrence, Jamie Foxx, LL Cool J, and The Notorious B.I.G. He let a friend take over for him the night Notorious B.I.G. got shot, which prompted him to quit that line of work.

Harold Gould - Actor who is best known for playing Miles Webber on the TV sitcom "The Golden Girls", and Martin Morgenstern in the TV sitcom "Rhoda". He acted in film and television for nearly 50 years, appearing in more than 300 television shows, 20 major motion pictures, and over 100 stage plays. In 1972, he originated the role of "Howard Cunningham" in the "Love, American Style" episode "Love and the Happy Days/Love and the Newscasters". He also originated the role of Marlo Thomas' father in the 1966 "That Girl" pilot episode, "What's in a Name?". From 1975-1990, he received five Emmy Award nominations.

Mako - He was a Japanese-born American actor and voice artist who has been nominated for numerous awards. He is best known for his acting role as Po-Han in The Sand Pebbles, for which he was nominated for the Academy Award and the Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor. He is also known for his roles as Akiro the Wizard in both Conan the Barbarian and Conan the Destroyer, Nakano in Highlander III: The Sorcerer and his voice roles as Iroh from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Aku from Samurai Jack, and Splinter from TMNT. He appeared on the TV show "McHale's Navy" several times, playing Imperial Japanese officers, soldiers and sailors. He later appeared on the TV show "M*A*S*H", playing multiple roles such as a Chinese doctor, North Korean soldier, and South Korean major. In 1976, he was nominated for Broadway's Tony Award as Best Actor (Musical) for "Pacific Overtures". On January 2, 1994, he received a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 7095 Hollywood Blvd.

John Colicos - Actor who played the first Klingon to speak on "Star Trek", Klingon Commander Kor. (There were several Klingons shown on screen before him in the same episode, but he was the first Klingon to speak.) After Leonard Nimoy's Mr. Spock, his "Star Trek" character, Kor, is the second longest running character to have been played by one actor in the "Star Trek" franchise. He made his first appearance as Kor in the "Star Trek" original series episode "Errand of Mercy" on March 23, 1967, and he made his final appearance in the same role in the "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" episode "Once More Unto the Breach" on November 11, 1998, more than 31 years later. He is also known as another popular science fiction TV character, the evil Count Baltar in the original "Battlestar Galactica" series in 1978. He also has the distinction of being the last person shot and killed on the TV series "Gunsmoke", as Judge Flood in the episode "Hard Labor". He began his acting career in 1946 performing on stage in Canada and acted in hundreds of plays on three continents prior to acting in films and television series. His extensive Shakespearean credits throughout the late 1950s and 1960s included Lysander in "A Midsummer Night's Dream", Petruchio in "The Taming of the Shrew", Leonato in "Much Ado About Nothing", Laertes in "Hamlet" and the title roles in "King Lear" and "Macbeth".

Dan Blocker - Actor who is best remembered for his role as Eric "Hoss" Cartwright in the NBC western TV series "Bonanza", a role he played for 13 seasons, until his untimely death in 1972 at the age of 43. He received partial ownership in a successful chain of Ponderosa/Bonanza Steakhouse restaurants in exchange for serving (in character as Hoss) as their commercial spokesman and making personal appearances at franchises. In 1997, he was inducted into the West Texas Walk of Fame in Lubbock, TX.

Susan Dey - Actress who is best known for her roles as Laurie Partridge on the 1970s sitcom "The Partridge Family", and as Grace Van Owen, a California assistant district attorney and judge on the dramatic series, "L.A. Law". She was nominated three times for the Emmy Award, six times for the Golden Globe Award, and in 1988 she won the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress for her role in "L.A. Law". Her first film role was as a passenger in the 1972 airline hijack movie Skyjacked starring Charlton Heston. She also appeared in the movies First Love, Looker, and Echo Park. She was ranked #61 on VH1's 100 Greatest Teen Stars.

Douglas Kenney - Writer and actor who co-founded "National Lampoon" magazine in 1970. He edited the magazine and wrote much of its early material. In 1977, he co-authored the screenplay to National Lampoon's Animal House, along with Chris Miller and Harold Ramis. He had a small role in Animal House as fraternity brother "Stork," with only one line of dialogue. He was nominated for The Writers Guild of America Award for 'Best Comedy Written Directly for the Screen' for National Lampoon's Animal House, (along with Harold Ramis and Chris Miller). He produced and wrote Caddyshack with Brian Doyle-Murray and Harold Ramis. He had a small role in Caddyshack as a dinner guest of Al Czervik. On August 27, 1980, he fell to his death when the cliff point on which he was standing overlooking the Hanapepe Valley on the island of Kauai, Hawaii, collapsed. He was only 33 years old.

Tommy Kirk - Former actor who is best known for his performances in a number of highly popular movies made by Walt Disney Studios such as Old Yeller, The Shaggy Dog, Swiss Family Robinson, The Absent-Minded Professor, Son of Flubber and The Misadventures of Merlin Jones. He also appeared in several beach party movies of the mid 1960s including Pajama Party, The Ghost in the Invisible Bikini, and It's a Bikini World. In 2006, he was inducted as a Disney Legend.

Bobby Flay - Celebrity chef, restaurateur and reality TV personality who is the owner and executive chef of several restaurants: Mesa Grill in Las Vegas and the Bahamas; Bar American in New York and Uncasville, CT; Bobby Flay Steak in Atlantic City and Bobby's Burger Palace in eighteen locations across eleven states. He has hosted several Food Network television programs, including "Boy Meets Grill", "Throwdown! with Bobby Flay", and "Grill It! with Bobby Flay". He has also appeared as a guest and hosted a number of specials on the network. He is featured on the Great Chefs television series. He has been nominated for seven Daytime Emmy Awards, and won three Daytime Emmy Awards: in 2005 for 'Outstanding Service Show Host' for "Boy Meets Grill with Bobby Flay", in 2012 for 'Outstanding Culinary Program' and in 2014 for 'Outstanding Culinary Host' for "Bobby Flay's Barbecue Addiction". In 2013, he was inducted into the Culinary Hall of Fame.

Gloria Loring - Singer and actress who is best known for playing Liz Chandler on "Days of Our Lives". She co-wrote and recorded, (with Carl Anderson), the #1 hit song "Friends and Lovers", and she is the co-composer, (with her then-husband Alan Thicke), of the TV theme songs for "Diff'rent Strokes" and "The Facts of Life". There were two versions of the Facts of Life theme song that she sang. One version was used from seasons two through six, and a second was used from seasons seven to nine. She is the mother of world-wide singing sensation Robin Thicke.

Gloria Loring and Carl Anderson - Friends and Lovers

Gloria Loring - The Facts of Life (Full Song)

Kevin Sharp - Country music singer who made his debut in 1997 with "Nobody Knows", which topped the Billboard country charts for four weeks. His debut album, "Measure of a Man", produced the additional Top 5 singles "If You Love Somebody" and "She's Sure Taking It Well", and a Top 50 hit "There's Only You". In 1997, he was named the New Touring Artist of the Year by the Country Music Association, and he was nominated for Top New Male Vocalist by the Academy of Country Music. Having survived a rare form of bone cancer in his teenage years, he became actively involved in the Make-A-Wish Foundation. In 1997, he became a spokesperson for the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and was awarded the foundation's Wish Granter of the Year Award. He died on April 19, 2014 at only 43 years old.

Kevin Sharp - Nobody Knows

Happy belated Birthday to Kim Basinger and Teri Hatcher!

Happy Birthday to rock gods Jim Morrison and Greg Allman!

Happy Birthday Sam Kinison!