Where's the originality and creativity?

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Originality is overrated in my opinion. Maybe I’m just weird but of my top ten favorite films only #3 is original. The other 9 are at least loosely based on something; a fairy tale, a TV show, historic events, a manga, a book, or a play and I wouldn’t love them any more or less if they were original stories.
The originality is not only in the story! The writing, the little idiosyncrasies of each character, the way the soundtrack is chosen, the way each shot is screened, etc, that has to be original IMO... I would even say the story itself is the least important in a movie!

For me, Tarantino is one of the most original and criative directors in today's Hollywood and his movies are full of references to other movies!

For me, Tarantino is one of the most original and criative directors in today's Hollywood and his movies are full of references to other movies!
I agree with that, but I suppose it depends on what people mean by "original." If they mean something completely new and original, then it's really going to limit the possibilities of what can even qualify as original. But I think, whatever you think of the movies themselves, that both Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained are quite original and creative, even though both movies are clearly derivative in so many ways. But Tarantino's vision and idiosyncrasies are all over those movies, and nobody but him could have brought all these elements together in such a creative and unique way, and most importantly made them work. Being creative often means taking unrelated elements and reworking them in totally new ways.

I think the Coen brothers as a duo are incredibly original and creative, even though many of their films use older sources as a starting point. I can't think of any gangster film even remotely like Miller's Crossing, but it uses The Glass Key as inspiration. The Man Who Wasn't There is their unique version of The Stranger and The Big Lebowski is their bizarre take on The Big Sleep (the novel).

I'd love to see more originality and creativity with regards to today's popular movies, but at the same time, it's there if that's what you crave. Just keep your eyes open for it.

Seriously? Another one of these topics?

I already went over this here, but here it goes again.

Originality is a tougher nut to crack, but there are filmmakers working in mainstream Hollywood that have managed to maintain their voice within their films, which is that originality of idiosyncrasies neiba was talking about. Scorsese, the Coens, Tarantino, P. T. Anderson, Spike Jonze, Edgar Wright, Wes Anderson, even Michael Bay and Zach Snyder (I hate them, but I can't say they lack a distinct filmmaking voice) all make films that are obviously theirs. That even counts when they are making remakes or borrowing from other sources. I may even add J. J. Abrams and Rian Johnson to that list even though they have made fewer films.

As far as creativity, come on now. In the year that saw the release of Edge of Tomorrow, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Lego Movie, Captain America 2, X-Men: DOFP, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Gone Girl, 22 Jump Street, and Godzilla, all with fairly high ratings on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB user ratings, how can any of you complain about a lack of creativity? Are any of those films not a product of the filmmakers visions, despite the fact that those are sequels and adaptations and remakes? I've seen more films in the theater this year than I've seen in a while and I've not been let down by any of them. On top of that there's been tons of mainstream indie films like Chef, Obvious Child, Blue Ruin, Boyhood, Snowpiercer, and Under the Skin.

Oh, and we've still got a new P.T. Anderson movie coming out and we can watch 80s action throwback with crazy buzz The Guest or maybe go see trippy/cool Birdman or take the kids to see The Boxtrolls or...

I'm sorry you all hated Transformers and The Expendables, but if I stroll through the reviews section of this site there's mainstream darlings that pop out at me that have decent reviews. Can we all just agree that there's a healthy mix of good and bad? Same as it ever was.