18. Silent Partner
19. Serpico
20. The Warriors
21. Bad News Bears
22. The Enforcer
23. Hard Times
24. Three Days of the Condor
25. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Great list JayDee, I also voted for The Warriors, Marathon Man, and The Beguiled(go vote for it in the movie tournament). A lot of other great ones there too.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Another film I rewatched for the 70s list. It's not one of my real favourites like the others were but a pretty great film nonetheless.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Sidney Lumet

Written by
Waldo Salt
Norman Wexler
Peter Mass (book)

Starring
Al Pacino
John Randolph
Jack Kehoe
Biff McGuire
Barbara Eda-Young
Tony Roberts

Serpico

Plot - New York City, 1960, and the idealistic young Frank Serpico (Pacino) joins the New York Police Department full of enthusiasm. Excelling as a patrolman he finds himself transferred to the plain clothes division, where he quickly discovers that just about every single one of his colleagues is dirty, sharing money that they get from extorting criminals. When he refuses to accept his share of the money he finds himself ostracised by the department, becoming a pariah. He reports the rampant corruption to his superiors but is disheartened to find that nothing is done about it even as years begin rolling by. And as the years go by the attitude of his colleagues becomes ever more negative towards him as they begin to harass and even threaten him. When stories begin to swirl through the department that Serpico has agreed to testify at a commission into police corruption he finds his life in great peril.

I've always been fascinated and quite frankly confused about the attitude that those in law enforcement have towards cops who inform on their colleagues. When their job is to enforce and uphold the law it baffles me that they would hold such resentment towards their fellow officers who attempt to weed out corruption and crime within their own department. To me their just seems to be no logic to such acrimony towards honest cops and Internal Affairs. But that certainly is the case, at least if films and TV shows are to be believed. And Serpico is another in that long line and arguably amongst the finest that cinema has to offer. The double standards and hypocrisy found amongst Frank Serpico's fellow officers is just incredible, he's treated with suspicion because he isn't dirty! I mean how can you begin to get your head around the fact that he is told in all seriousness, “who can trust a cop who don't take money?”

Frank Serpico was a man who always dreamed of being a police officer. And I think that is probably an aspiration that many of us can relate to. Alongside growing up to be the likes of an astronaut or a cowboy it's one of those common dreams of childhood. And just as with those two aforementioned professions much of that desire is created by their portrayal in popular entertainment. No matter what age you are every generation has its own icons of law enforcement and crime solving, whether that be Columbo, Starsky and Hutch, Crockett and Tubbs, Joe Friday, Inspector Gadget, Kojak, Gil Grissom, Thomas Magnum, Jessica Fletcher, Jim Rockford, Steve McGarrett, Cagney and Lacey - all characters who are fine examples of the nobility and heroic nature that should be a part of the profession. And those are the ideals that Frank Serpico wants to live up to. So imagine how crushed he must have been to find that he was just about the only one. With his unruly mass of facial hair and a wardrobe seemingly more fit for Woodstock than a police station he certainly doesn't look like any of his fellow cops, and as it turns out he doesn't seem to think the same way either. He arrives with such enthusiasm for the job but quickly finds himself shocked at the sheer apathy of his colleagues and the politics involved. Everywhere he turns he just finds more and more corruption and more dirty cops, yet none of his superiors seem to care. He becomes so disillusioned by the whole thing. There's one small little moment that feels like a perfect snapshot to sum up his situation. Clearly returning from an undercover assignment he walks into the station dressed as a Hasidic Jew, complete with massive beard. It's a humorous moment that is done in such a matter-of-fact manner that it just highlights the sheer absurdity of Serpico's situation.

While the film is an examination of the kind of corruption that was running rife in police departments of the time, the heart of the film comes from the emotional journey that Serpico goes through as his dream job becomes a nightmare and he realises that he can't do the job that he loves. In addition to ruining his professional life the corruption that engulfs him also takes its toll on his personal life. Early in the film we see him establishing a normal life; finding a home to call his own, getting a dog and forming romantic attachments. He is unable to leave his job at the police station, taking the immense strain home with him and killing his relationship with two women in the process. The longer the film goes, without a single friend on the force to call his own, the more solitary a figure he becomes. Lumet frequently shoots Pacino on his own in wide shots just to highlight the exceptional isolation he finds himself experiencing. I also have to give some special mention to the production department for their part in helping to establish Serpico's character, with both his costume design and the set design of his apartment helping to set him very much apart from his contemporaries, showing him to be a much more artistic and cultured individual who has somewhat embraced the hippie movement.

Film Trivia Snippets - Serpico was shot in reverse order to aid Pacino in building his character's appearance. Al Pacino began filming with long hair and a thick beard and then for each individual scene his hair and beard were trimmed back bit by but until he was short-haired and clean shaven for the film's opening scenes. /// The film was originally set to be directed by John G. Avildsen of Rocky and Karate Kid fame until he was replaced just before filming due to creative differences with the producer. /// Serpico was not always envisaged as a star vehicle for Al Pacino. The original plan was for it to be another double act picture for Robert Redford and Paul Newman following Butch Cassidy and the Sundances Kid. Redford would have played Frank Serpico with Newman playing his lawyer friend David Durk (a character that was renamed Bob Blair in the final film and played by Tony Roberts). /// The film was shot exclusively on the streets of New York, utilising a total of 104 different locations spread across every borough of New York City except for Staten Island. /// After he decided to make the film Al Pacino invited Frank Serpico to stay with him at a house that Pacino had rented in Montauk, New York. When Pacino asked Serpico, "Why did you do it?" Serpico replied, "Well, Al, I don't know. I guess I would have to say it would be because... if I didn't, who would I be when I listened to a piece of music?"
Taking on the lead role of Frank Serpico is Al Pacino, who despite his standing amongst the majority of film fans and his undoubted talent I've never been completely sold on. When his name is in the credits I tend to approach with a sense of caution, fearful of being treated to another one of his hammy, larger-than-life, scenery chewing turns that for me personally can just bring the whole film crashing down around him. There's that old phrase, “Go big or go home”; well when Pacino goes big I tend to go home. There's no denying however that when Pacino is good he is very, very good. And his performance here certainly falls into that category. He is excellent. He just attacks the role of Serpico with such incredible fire and conviction, really bringing this complex and conflicted character to life. He just convinces completely in the part; you absolutely believe 100% that he is a cop, and that he is Frank Serpico. As such it's hard to imagine anyone else taking on and inhabiting the role with such force and assurance. While Serpico is most assuredly Pacino's show he is given some solid back-up from a fine cast of character performers that includes the likes of Tony Roberts, John Randolph and Jack Kehoe.

Serpico is very much a film of its time, and I don't mean that in a negative way. Like many of its fellow thrillers from the same decade Serpico shares that same gritty aesthetic and feel that was put to such fine use in police procedurals of the time such as Dirty Harry and The French Connection, and it is yet another example in a long line of great city movies to roll off the 70s thriller conveyor belt. And while the film actually begins in 1960 its story is one that very much captures the sentiment of the 1970s in terms of the negative attitude that American people had towards establishments such as the government and law enforcement. And with its tale of corruption rife within the police force the film shows why exactly Americans felt this way about those in charge. It's a sentiment that Pacino and Lumet would re-team to again tackle a couple of years later on Dog Day Afternoon when Pacino's Sonny Wortzik takes on what feels like the entire New York Police Department and finds himself getting great support from the man on the street. While corruption within law enforcement is the main thrust of Serpico's story it does also find time to touch upon other touchpaper issues of the time such as racial tensions and homophobia.

While it would be nice to think that this was merely a piece of fiction to escape into and be enthralled by, the sad truth is that Serpico is based on a very real man and a very real case of corruption. And with Sidney Lumet in the director's chair he ensures that the film adopts a docu-drama approach that plays into its true-life inspiration, heightening the realism and senes of authenticity. At times it really does feel like we're watching a documentary, with Lumet's camera feeling very kinetic and unstructured as it darts around in the wake of its characters. It comes across like Lumet doesn't know where the film is going and that he is reacting very much on the hoof to follow the action. Further enhancing the film's verisimilitude is its exceptionally minimal use of Mikis Theodorakis' score. In fact I don't believe that a single note of music is employed during the scenes set in police stations whatsoever. Instead the rare examples of the melodic, Italian-tinged score are reserved more for the personal aspects of Serpico's life

Conclusion - Powerful, incendiary and troubling, Serpico is also able to emerge out the other side as a rousing and inspirational tale of one honest man and his courageous battle against widespread corruption throughout the New York Police Department. Much of that is down to the true heroism of the real Frank Serpico on which the film is based, but a tremendous and ferocious showing from Al Pacino and strong direction from Sidney Lumet certainly aid in creating such an experience. Engrossing.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Susan!!! Great to see you stopping by. And thank you.

Anyway guys here is the list I sent in for the 70s countdown. At least I think this is it. I can't remember if when it came to sending the PM if I slightly altered the order of one or two of them at the last minute but I don't think so

1. Rocky
2. Enter the Dragon
3. Young Frankenstein
4. The Taking of Pelham 123
5. Dirty Harry
6. The Muppet Movie
7. Assault on Precinct 13
8. Marathon Man
9. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
10. The Night Strangler
11. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
12. Rocky II
13. Charley Varrick
14. The Spy Who Loved Me
15. The Night Stalker
16. The Beguiled
17. Star Wars
18. Silent Partner
19. Serpico
20. The Warriors
21. Bad News Bears
22. The Enforcer
23. Hard Times
24. Three Days of the Condor
25. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Yay for Assault on Precinct 13! I had it quite high on my list too. Just made the 100 because of us I think. Also must have been me and you that voted for Spy Who Loved Me because that didn't quite make the list.

We don't share a single 70's film in common, although Dirty Harry very nearly made my list.

Serpico is a good movie, but I admire the performances and the direction more than the movie itself. I had a much stronger reaction to Dog Day Afternoon. One day I'll give Serpico another go and hopefully enjoy it a little more.

You don't share a movie with the Captain? See, JD, this is why we're such good friends.

There's a lot of bird on this site the last couple of days. I always thought it wasn't allowed/frowned upon?

I like Rocky at 1 and your inclusion of Serpico. No Godfather and #17 Star Wars makes me sad though.
Regarding Godfather, I didn't get round to rewatching it before submitting a list and I wanted every film on their to have been watched at least twice.

And when it comes to Star Wars I like it, but don't absolutely love it. I know it's pretty rare but it's actually my least favourite of the original trilogy. Perhaps it's because I didn't grow up with the films and have that great fondness for them and the characters. So Empire Strikes Back and Jedi I love just because they're just a massive amount of fun. For people who love the characters and that world Star Wars perhaps means more to them because it's where it all started and because it probably has the most amount of story and character work in it. But for me the films and their appeal is really just about the action and adventure. While I certainly wouldn't say that Star Wars is boring in any way I just think the two sequels are more entertaining and exciting.

It's a nice list though, JD. Shame about The Muppet Movie.
For some reason I imagined that of any of them it would be Willy Wonka you'd have a real problem with.

BTW, you are going to submit a ballot for the animation list, right?
Mayyyyybe.

Just remembered that I still had a few bonus Dawn of the Planet of the Apes posters kicking about, just ones that weren't the main ones the studio had plastered everywhere

Just to let everyone know I will try and be back to posting my reviews in the next day or two. Got a new laptop and just trying to get the hang of it and all my files, documents etc transferred. Once I've done that will start getting them posted again

Next page please. Move it along. Nothing to see here.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Walter Hill

Written by
Michael Kane
Walter Hill
David Giler

Starring
Keith Carradine
Powers Boothe
Fred Ward
Franklyn Seales
T.K. Carter
Lewis Smith

Southern Comfort

+

Plot - A squad of National Guardsmen are on a weekend exercise in the Louisiana swamps when things go horribly wrong. Crossing the path of some local Cajun poachers, the reckless actions of the men infuriate the poachers to such an extent that they shoot and kill the squad's leader, Staff Sergeant Poole. This initiates a war between the two parties that continues to escalate, particularly once the soldiers have found and captured one of the poachers. Finding themselves under fire from all directions by their near-invisible enemy, the men begin to crumble under the pressure and turn upon one another. Only by retaining their sanity will any of them stand a chance of getting out of the swamp alive.

Set in the backwoods of America's Deep South, and concerning a group of individuals being hunted by the local inhabitants, it seems that the most natural reference point for this film should be John Boorman's 70s classic, Deliverance. In cinematic terms however I actually think that the film's closest cousin may well be First Blood; admittedly with a strong dash of Deliverance thrown in for good measure. Just as was the case with the Stallone classic, which would be released the following year, Southern Comfort is a film which can be viewed and enjoyed on two different levels. On the one hand you can enjoy this film on the level that you can enjoy just about every Walter Hill film; as a purely kick-ass action film. Go further than that though and just like First Blood, hidden underneath its macho façade the film really acts as an allegorical tale for the Vietnam War. Beyond the obvious geographical similarities offered up by Louisiana's forest and swamps it really is like the entire conflict boiled down and summed up in a nutshell.

At the core of the film there is a platoon of soldiers from the Louisiana National Guard. The patrol may only consist of 9 men but they really do act as a small scale representation of the half a million US soldiers who were deployed to Vietnam between the years of 1965 and 1972. Led by Peter Coyote's Staff Sergeant Poole, the men are completely out of their element. Unruly and undisciplined, the majority of the men more closely resemble frat boys than soldiers. And when the situation escalates they are completely unprepared to deal with the fallout. As they find themselves heading further and further into the bayou swamps, they find themselves more and more out of their depth. They find themselves lost in an unfamiliar location where the knowledge that the locals possess of the area places the soldiers at a great disadvantage. It's obviously not much of a stretch to see the similarities to America's doomed campaign. More than any other war the conflict in Vietnam was one populated by the very young. While it's a claim disputed by some, the average age of an American soldier during that war was just 19 years of age. These were mere kids just out of high school; they were ill-equipped, unprepared and had no business being involved in such an undertaking. There is a moment just before he is gunned down where one of the young soldiers breaks down crying, yelling out that “I didn't do anything wrong...I'm not supposed to be here...I'm not supposed to be here!” As soon as he said it I couldn't help but wonder how many young men uttered the exact same words over in Vietnam.

One of the most contentious issues of the Vietnam War was whether American forces should even be there in the first place. It was an issue that sparked protests across America. And it's a similar case here. It is the foolish behaviour of the soldiers that sparks the dispute in the first place and it then becomes a question as to what right they have to be there, at least in the eyes of the Cajuns. As one of the poachers informs them, “This is our home and no one going to f*ck with us!” Standing in for the Vietcong soldiers in this instance are this group of Cajun poachers who begin to pick the Guardsmen off one by one. Like the Vietcong their ways and practices are rather alien to the soldiers. Also like the Vietcong, the Cajuns rely on their knowledge of the surroundings to their great advantage as well as employing guerilla tactics to counteract the greater number of soldiers. These tactics include both physical and mental assaults. On one occasion the poachers sick a pack of wild hunting dogs on the soldiers, while later on the soldiers come across the corpses of their fallen comrades strung up to a tree; corpses that the Cajuns have dug up and put on display like some grotesque art installation.

Film Trivia Snippets - Southern Comfort marked the second occasion where Walter Hill and Ry Cooder collaborated together. The first film they worked on together was The Long Riders, and Cooder would eventually go on to score a total of 9 films for Hill. /// To use the phrase 'Southern Comfort' as the title of the film the filmmakers first had to get permission from the Brown-Forman Corporation, who own the rights to the phrase. They make a liqueur of the same name. /// The movie has been read by many people, including myself, as a metaphor or an allergy for the Vietnam War. Walter Hill however has stated that this was never his intent. On the day where they had the cast read-through Hill told them that “People are going to say this is about Vietnam. They can say whatever they want, but I don’t want to hear another word about it.” /// As I noted earlier there are several similarities between this film and 1972's Deliverance, and it was a similarity that the PR department jumped on. Some movie posters actually ran with the tagline 'Not since Deliverance...' /// The storyline for this film is actually extremely similar to Walter Hill's previous film, The Warriors. Both movies feature a group of characters undertaking a perilious journey to find their way home and encountering various dangerous obstacles, a hostile environment and aversive enemies along the way.
The nature of the film's narrative dictates that Southern Comfort is more about the situation and the men as a group rather than as individuals, and therefore no great depth or growth can really be attributed to the characters by the actors inhabiting the roles. Fortunately however a rather strong cast was assembled for the film, a cast comprising of several fine and noteable character actors. And just about the entire cast do a fine job of crafting a series of strong and macho individuals with considerable intensity, with Powers Boothe and Keith Carradine distinguishing themselves from the pack as the two voices of reason. Fred Ward also impresses as the bully of the group while Peter Coyote makes an impression despite his limited time on screen. Walter Hill uses all of these individual characters to portray the varying effects that war can have upon a man and upon a group dynamic. Some men panic and crumble in such situations, while others completely shut down mentally. Some men resort to their most basest instincts and commit atrocious acts, while others attempt to hold on to both their sanity and humanity and lead those around them. Just as this is true in war so it is true here for these men. We see some of the men go on an unquenchable thirst for revenge after the Cajuns have killed their Staff Sergeant while other men in the platoon attempt to retain a sense of right and obey the military rules. We see some men attempt to take command and help the group while others begin to care only for their own well-being. As time goes on we witness the patrol tear itself apart through rage and fear which sparks infighting and splinters the groups into factions. Alongside the Vietnam allegory the film seems to be a damning indictment of the macho behavior that men often succumb to, particularly in a group dynamic.

Given that the action genre has been Hill's meal-ticket throughout his career it will come as no real surprise that he provides a more than capable hand for the several action sequences that populate the film. They are generally thrilling and immersive scenes, with a sequence where the Cajuns weaponise the very forest itself by felling a series of trees all around the soldiers arguably being the most impressive and striking. More than the action sequences though, I'd say the most impressive aspect of Hill's direction is the wonderful sense of mood and atmosphere that he creates. Consistently shooting in very tight quarters and close in on his actors, the action never emerges out of the dense forest of the swamp into open spaces, ensuring that Southern Comfort is an extremely claustrophobic experience from the first minute to the last. Hill also makes sure to pace the film just right. Films of this nature will often come unstuck by blowing their load early on, delivering big rushes of adrenaline then falling away for a while until the next rush. While Hill does deliver these rushes early and often he keeps the level of intrigue strong throughout, continually turning the screws so that he builds the tension to greater and greater heights all the way until its conclusion. It makes for a nervy and uncomfortable experience. And this is never more true than in its finale. The concluding 20 or so minutes of the film are almost unbearably tense, probably amongst the most tense and suspenseful sequences I've seen in a film for quite some time actually; perhaps even ever. When two of the soldiers are able to escape out of swamp and find their way to a small Cajun shanty town they should be safe. But at no point do you ever get that sense; the feeling of anxiety and paranoia remains. The editing in this stretch is tremendous. The film cuts back and forth breathlessly from images of a wild Cajun party that they find themselves a part of, images of one of the soldiers being stalked by the poachers and harrowing images of two pigs being shot in the head, strung up, skinned and gutted; obviously acting as a possible foreshadowing of their own fate. It's such an intense, torturous sequence which then explodes with bursts of violence.

Aiding him in establishing this atmosphere Hill has the assistance of two very talented collaborators. Beyond the similarities that I have already laid out between the two films Southern Comfort does feature another link to First Blood; they both share the same cinematographer in Andrew Laszlo. And just as he would do the following year for Rambo's first outing, Laszlo impresses immensely and adds so much to the finished product. He wraps the film in a series of gloomy and imposing tones, draping proceeding in a palette of dark greens, greys and browns which builds on the foreboding and ominous atmosphere as well as highlighting the rural, primal landscape in which the soldiers find themselves trapped. Throw in a substantial amount of swirling mist and you've got one unnerving environment where a considerable sense of dread hangs heavy in the air. It's the kind of swampy forest you frequently see in fantasy films. It would have a name like The Dread Woods or The Black Woods and a sign at its entrance warning that death awaits all men who enter here. As strong as Laszlo's work is he is arguably outshone by the film's excellent score; an eerie and haunting creation delivered by guitar legend Ry Cooder, a score infused with a Cajun flavour throughout. It's a score that is made all the more effective by its relatively minimal use. Much of the film unfolds without any music, but instead relies upon the deathly silence and stillness of the bayou to create its menace, with a great soundtrack of natural sounds creating the atmosphere; the squawking of birds, the droning of cicadas and the splashing of boots in the swamp.

Conclusion - Southern Comfort may not have acquired the iconic standing or fanbase that has benefitted either First Blood or Deliverance; taken on its own merits however this is a damn fine film, and one that I would recommend to fans of either of those more well-known efforts. It's an exhilarating action film which morphs into a slice of survival horror, one that has an incredibly stark and menacing atmosphere of claustrophobia and paranoia. With strong direction, evocative cinematography, a fantastically macabre score and an excellent conclusion this is a film that deserves a much larger following than it currently has. Could become quite the favourite of mine.