The MoFo Top 100 of the 80s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Some more thoughts about the most-recent films.

I don't know about DePalma's Scarface. I mean, it's passed itself down into movie legacy, but in so doing it, it's eradicated the concept of Howard Hawks'/Paul Muni's original film, and I see that as a shame. Scarface was always about something primitive and brutal, but this "newer, high-tech" version seems to be all about the electronic score, the "coolness" factor, Pacino's "over-the-topness" and the idea that kids love movies about drugs. I don't actually hate DePalma's Scarface, like others such as Holden do, but I hate the way it's perceived, especially as a teacher. Sorry. I mean, Scarface was always a cautionary tale, but I don't know a single teenager who just doesn't think it's the coolest thing around, even if it IS, God forbid, an "OLD Movie".
The Breakfast Club (John Hughes, 1985)
- OK, I'll admit this could be just the slightest overrating, but for the most part, it delivers plenty of drama and comedy, even if the presentation (for example, the musical montages) is occasionally facile. Its heart is in the right place and the transition of the "club" members from aloof "enemies" to good friends is believable, especially since they have to unite against the totalitarian tactics of the teacher (Paul Gleason) who's responsible for their "Saturday school". You probably all know who the students are, but just for the heckuvait, we have the Princess (Molly Ringwald), the Athlete (Emilio Estevez), the Brain (Anthony Michael Hall), the Basket Case (Ally Sheedy) and the Criminal (Judd Nelson).
The Thing (John Carpenter, 1982)

The Thing is a wild reimaging of the Hawks/Nyby 1951 flick and closer in tone to the original John W. Campbell Jr story which is apparently one of the first sci-fi stories about shape-shifters from outer space. At the time of its release, The Thing wasn't really greeted with good reviews, but I've always loved it, and I find it to be Carpenter's masterpiece. It's a lean, mean, fighting machine with almost nothing in the way of wasted scenes and a strong sense of its own capability of holding your interest while taking it's sweet time in building things up. Now, Carpenter has always tried to build his films in a similar fashion, but to me, this is the one where he's far more successful than ever before or since. Maybe it's the exotic location of Antarctica. Who can name more than five films, not including documentaries and cartoons, which take place on that continent? Maybe it's the mind-boggling special and makeup effects which to this day are some of the most-disgusting-yet-witty displays of violent destruction of life ever depicted on film. Maybe it's the combo of the men's camraderie and their contempt of each other because once it becomes clear what the hell this thing is and what it wants to do, it makes the all-male cast want to keep to themselves even though they all would probably like to have someone cover their back if they could only trust them. Both Twelve O'Clock High and The Thing are about men facing impossible odds in an attempt to survive and theoretically help save humankind. In The Thing, there's a computer calculation which states that if the ONE Thing were left to its own devices, it would take over every single living thing on earth in about three years. So yeah, that showdown at the end of The Thing, which reminds me more of John Huston's The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (Dobbs and Curtin betting on who's going to fall asleep first) than it does anything in Hawks' Red River or the original The Thing (Hawks being Carpenter's fave director), is basically about the survival of the human race. Cool.
Alien isn't the most original film in the canon, borrowing from both It! The Terror From Beyond Space and Planet of the Vampires, but with H.R. Giger along for the ride, and Ridley Scott using a painterly eye, it's one of the most handsome sci-fi flicks ever, and it also certainly qualifies as HORROR with capital letters.

Aliens is more of a high-tech action adventure set in space, but it's probably one of the very best sequels ever made, and it may well rival French Connection II as a terrific sequel which completely rewrites the themes and motives of the original film. Sigourney Weaver definitely gives a stronger performance in the sequel, especially if you discuss the director's cut. Oh yeah, it's also scary as Hell!

Even if I enjoy Fincher's and Jeunet's films, they just don't rate.

I'm late but I'm going to try to catch up-

70. Glory - OK.
69. Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan- Underpowered and rather shoddy, even though the relative strength of the adversary makes this a little better than most of the other pre-reboot attempts to bring Star Trek to the big screen.
68. Castle In The Sky- Worth seeing, but not one of the better Miyazaki films.
67. Au Revoir Les Enfants- Harrowing. Not far from my list.
66. Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior- Anything interesting about the first movie has gone.
65. Blow Out - No Blow Up.
64. Crimes And Misdemeanours- MY LIST: 13- Filled with guilt and dread and envy and just glossed with humour, I think this is Allen's best film and maybe his most ****ed up and personal.
63. The Sacrifice- Horribly atmospheric, and another that got a bit of consideration for my list.
62. Tootsie- Quite smart and funny.
61. The Lost Boys-Hugely and hilariously dated.

60. Akira- A blast that feels whirlingly, challengingly, groundbreakingly nonsensical.
59. Jean De Florette- Great stuff that I couldn't escape throughout my own attempt to start farming.
58. Evil Dead 2- Extremely funny.
57. Cinema Paradiso- Impressive and boring.
56. The Karate Kid- Not seen yet.
55. Stand By Me- Good song, rubbish movie.
54. The Fly- One of two films (with Naked Gun) that I really regret not finding room for. Such an engrossing and scarring experience.
53. The Purple Rose Of Cairo- Not seen yet.
52. Batman- A great watch full of delightful moments, and still the best Batman movie ever made.
51. Poltergeist- I like the 80s middle class suburban aesthetic and the bad effects. Not scary though.

Titanic is actually my favorite Cameron film (not that I'm a big fan of his films in general).
It has such a lovely classic feeling to it. It may be cheesy sometimes, but hell, I don't care. It's a MAJOR Hollywood romance picture at its best.
Titanic is a very well made film, James Cameron is a very talented director and I think it is a good movie but it's a bit bland. Considering it won 11 Oscars while before Cameron's films never won a best film Oscar, shows how the Academy is biased against genre films: it's the same talent, first making science fiction action films, but he didn't win any major awards, so then he decided to focus into making a Hollywood Oscar bait and won 11 Oscars.

His other films never really did something special to me. I can't get over the huge timetraveling plothole in The Terminator,
But that's the reason why it's a classic!

Aliens is worse than Alien (I still might rewatch Aliens someday though as it has been a VERY long time ago since I've seen it for the first and only time),
Well, you can consider it worse by Alien is already a masterpiece (and considered by many as one of the greatest films ever made), so if Aliens is slightly worse than Alien it can be still considered great. Alien is superior to Aliens in terms of atmosphere and was obviously more innovative and fells fresher (for obvious reasons), however, Aliens has greater complexity/more character development and is more action oriented, since I generally prefer action and drama over horror, I prefer Aliens. Though both are great and in my top 100.

Terminator 2 is brilliant in terms of special effects, but it lacks the grittiness and atmosphere of the first one
Agree. I still love it enough to put into my top 200 though. But I am a sucker for this kind of movie.

and Avatar has some nice looking scenes, but the story is uninteresting crap.
Indeed. I still rate it as
, mainly because of the special effects/CGI animation. It's a very well executed movie but it is so bland, dumb and recycled in terms of tropes that it cannot go higher than 3/5 for me and I love it's genre: it's animated science fiction (just like Nausicaa!, indeed, I read in the IMDB that Cameron loves Nausicaa, though I am not sure of the sources for that claim, though the fact is the Nausicaa probably influenced Avatar in many ways). Cameron said he made Avatar mostly for hardcore science fiction fans, well, so I was supposed to love it but it's plot felt so retarded that I couldn't.

Still, I admit that both Avatar and Titanic are well crafted films but vastly inferior to Aliens and The Terminator, two
+ genre film masterpieces.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
10. Die Hard
9. Full Metal Jacket
8. Blue Velvet
7. Back to the Future
6. The Terminator
5. Raging Bull
4. The Shining
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
2. Blade Runner
1. Empire Strikes Back

The Movie Forums Top 100 of the 80s: 50-11

The greatest decade in the history of film. IMO! That's mainly because it was the golden age of science fiction combined with the fact that Miyazaki made 4 movies at the same time, though the Totoro poster there is horrible, the original one is the best one:

50. The Blues Brothers- MY LIST: 4- Any of my top 4 could have been my number 1, and on another day I might say that this unimpeachably cool movie full of hilarious moments and fantastic songs and terrific performances is my favourite of all time.
49. The Evil Dead- Not seen yet.
48. The Cook, The Thief, His Wife And Her Lover- Not finished yet.
47. Das Boot- Hundreds of atmospheres of pressure.
46. Gremlins- One of the best of the decade's horror-comedies.
45. My Neighbour Totoro- MY LIST: 22- So wondrous and dreamily transporting.
44. RoboCop- Great music, great setting, iconic and kitschy.
43. Airplane!- MY LIST: 1- I picked it at number one because it is the funniest movie ever made.
42. A Nightmare On Elm Street- Does nothing for me.
41. First Blood- Rather nasty and mediocre.

the Academy is biased against genre films.
My two cents on the Academy. I don't think that broad films get nominated and win awards because of some kind of bias. I think it is because the Academy is huge,or broad even. People seem to have this misconception that the Academy somehow collaborates together to make sure certain types of movies get nominated. I dont see how t hus way of thinking came about but it seems to be more common than not anymore.

40. Raising Arizona- MY LIST: 5- For the first several minutes it is the single best film ever made. It doesn't sustain that quality, but nothing does, and Tex Cobb and Holly Hunter and Nic Cage and John Goodman and the rest make sure it always stays tons of fun.
39. Paris, Texas- I've just realised that the only Wenders film I've liked so far is Buena Vista Social Club.
38. Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade- I really disliked it, it felt like all the fun had to stop because the parent showed up.
37. E.T The Extra Terrestrial- A lovely, heartbreaking, heartwarming tale.
36. Predator- A fairly awesome stream of stupid thrills.
35. After Hours- Didn't find it very memorable.
34. Grave Of The Fireflies- MY LIST: 19- A purely depressing movie done eight, this is massively upsetting.
33. This Is Spinal Tap- Very funny.
32. Come And See- MY LIST: 23- Another great and devastating war movie.
31. Who Framed Roger Rabbit?- Fairly successful experiment.

30. Platoon- Probably top 20 Vietnam movies or something, and less irritating than most of the rest of Stone's movies.
29. The King Of Comedy- A good performance in a film that succeeds as far as it goes.
28. An American Werewolf In London- Whatever it is that makes some people love this film completely passed me by.
27. The Princess Bride- Whatever it is that makes some people love this film didn't quite completely pass me by, there are some funny lines and enthusiastic performances, but it isn't that special.
26. Rain Man- It's alright, but there have been better and subtler films since.
25. Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom- Heady, gross and very exciting.
24. Amadeus- MY LIST: 12- Intriguing study of art and unfairness and envy. Quite possibly the best Best Picture of the last 4 decades.
23. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off- Seems like a good idea.
22. Fanny And Alexander- Some way off Bergman's best, but grand and interesting.
21. Brazil- Found it offputtingly self-satisfied and corny and not nearly as inventive as it thinks.

20. Ghostbusters- A lot of fun.
19. The Elephant Man- Beautiful.
18. Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi- It's not too terrible a drop off in quality.
17. Ran- MY LIST: 20- Last glorious flowering of a legendary talent.
16. Once Upon A Time In America- Long and tedious.
15. Do The Right Thing- My LIST: 21- Power to burn, this is a masterful, visceral gut punch,
14. Scarface- Swaggeringly dumbass fantasy.
13. The Breakfast Club- Quite awful, one of the most painful cinematic experiences I have had in my life.
12. The Thing- Gorgeously grotesque.
11. Aliens- It's a good film in its own right, but it pales next to Alien, and the aliens are too damn easy to kill.

I'm sick of hearing about The Thing. Such an overrated movie. I saw it once -- liked it -- but wasn't mesmerized by it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Thing is the best Carpenter film I have seen so far. I liked it more than Halloween.

The Thing is the best Carpenter film I have seen so far. I liked it more than Halloween.
Like I said, I'm sick of hearing about The Thing.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Thing really deserved a high place on the list.

Have you seen The Fog?