Current Dvd's becoming obsolete?

Tools    

Alright. I have this co-worker who told me today that they are preparing for marketing a new type of dvd that will be impossible to duplicate. The problem is, the new dvd player that will also be manufactured will also be made to play only these types of dvds and will be well recognized in stores in five years. Has anyone else heard of this? He also mentioned he heard the words "redlight and bluelight" coming up frequently during the radio discussion. I believe that had something to do with the dvd discs themselves. This worries me cause of the fact that while I keep on buying dvds, will I have to start collecting older model dvd players in 5 short years just to play my movies on? It kind of reminds me of what is happening to the vcr right now. As soon as you can buy a cheap dvd player that can tape tv show, they will be gone.

Has anyone else heard of this?

There was a thread about this here. Like Yoda said in that thread, backwards compatibility will probably be standard in future formats. I'll try to find more on the "redlight and bluelight" thing you mentioned.

Is this this the "bluelight" thing that your friend was talking about.

There was a thread about this here. Like Yoda said in that thread, backwards compatibility will probably be standard in future formats. I'll try to find more on the "redlight and bluelight" thing you mentioned.
Thanks garrett. I pray that what yoda has forseen about dvd player's backwords compatibility, is it's destiny.

Is this this the "bluelight" thing that your friend was talking about.
What was said in the link, I think sounds just about right.

Originally Posted by jrs
The DVDs that are out now, will never be literally obsolete.

Whether the DVDs are made using the Blue-Ray format, the movies will be released in the normal format as well.
That's what I'm hoping, but if they do this, then they will never cut down the pirating of movies and the loss of money. I thought that was the entire purpose of blue ray formatted discs.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
They will NEVER ever be able to make a a disc that cannot be duplicated. If it can be made by one man it can be remade by another man - regardless of how a company tries to sell that it can't be.

I don't know if anyone remembers but a year or two ago a CD was supposed to have been invented that was immpossible to duplicate. The company that made it threw a party giving out copies of an unburnable, unrippable CD, the next morning they had a burned copy of it in their mail bin. Their unbeatable copyright protection was trumped by a sharpie marker. All the people had to do was mark over the cd and it somehow rendered the copyright protection useless.

Originally Posted by OG-
They will NEVER ever be able to make a a disc that cannot be duplicated. If it can be made by one man it can be remade by another man - regardless of how a company tries to sell that it can't be.

I don't know if anyone remembers but a year or two ago a CD was supposed to have been invented that was immpossible to duplicate. The company that made it threw a party giving out copies of an unburnable, unrippable CD, the next morning they had a burned copy of it in their mail bin. Their unbeatable copyright protection was trumped by a sharpie marker. All the people had to do was mark over the cd and it somehow rendered the copyright protection useless.
No I never heard that one before but I bet the look on their faces when they opened the mail that day was worth a million bucks.