Alexander

Tools    

With Colin Farrel.....it looks incredible. What do you guys think?

There's a lot of threads on this board about this and I'm pretty much siding with you, if not more excited with this movie. I became interested in Alexander when I had to do a report on him last semester in college. I really wanted to do the Roman era but was stuck with him. Once I started to do research on him, I realized that this guy was THE MAN. THE ULTIMATE GENERAL in ancient warfare. While I was working on the report, I starte to follow the production of the movie and the race to bring the first into theaters. Oliver Stone won and thank God because Scorcese, Baz and Dino make for a lesser of a movie about Alexander. As for Oliver Stone, in spite of his propaganda movie-making track-record, there's no other person in the world I would've picked to write this movie. He's perfect to do it and it just looks extraordinarily unbelievable. My prediction is and has been that this will be the greatest ancient war movie ever made. It definitely has the story for it if you've ever read in depth about him. It's such a good story, it almost feels like fiction. If it's not the best ancient war movie ever, I'll be the first to say it and write a full review about it.
At first, I wasn't crazy about Colin Farrel but from the teaser, it looks like he took a lot of direction and was more than 100% devoted to the re-imagining of Alexander the Great. "If you conquer your FEAR, then I promise you will conquer DEATH!!" That was awesome. The only thing I am dissapointed about so far that's undebateable is that the character of Parmenion is not visibly in the movie. If you don't know, Parmenion was Alexander's second in command and controlled the other half of Alexander's army. Alexander's prize cavalry was also named after Parmenion's son who is in the movie! I don't understand why Oliver thought he could leave out such an important figure of the story and think it wasn't important. Parmenion was also Alexander's Father's second-in-command and is probably one of the biggest reasons why Alexander was able to take the thrown of Macedon. Ptolemy seems to have taken Parmenion's place in the movie. He was a great general too but was subordinate to Parmenion.
Parmenion was also his most trusted advisor. After the battle of Issus when Alexander took Darius the III's mediate family captive and was offered all the land west of the Euphrates, Parmenion was the one who was recorded for saying, "I'd take it, If I were Alexander." Alexander responded by saying, "So would I, if I were Parmenion." I'm in total befuddlement about that but the movie looks superb. Everything's as accurate as hell, thanks to the famous historian who worked with Oliver. I forgot his name. And thank God Dicaprio isn't doing it the best of my knowledge and/or he beat Colin to theaters. ****, that move looks so great. I'm watch the trailer once more. My 2 cents. Tah tah

Id love to see a movie on alexander... i loved troy and i think a movie like this could compare to troy.

This is only my opinion but I thought Troy was a huge dissapointment. This movie would compare with the better ones like Braveheart or Gladiator. I already did a review on troy and pointed out why I didn't think it was great so I'm not gonna do that again. This movie looks to be 5 times better than Troy.

Bruce Campbell Groupie
Not a Colin Farrell fan, but really wanna see this film, I've really gotten into Historical films lately.

any news on the Leonardo Di caprio version?

Nothing certain. It still looks to be on the ropes of being cancelled. And Leonardo is in no such official deal to play Alexander. Personally I could care less because I know Stone's is gonna be better.

Originally Posted by Knoxville
Not a Colin Farrell fan, but really wanna see this film, I've really gotten into Historical films lately.
Me too. They're great, aren't they?