Reality Series Guilty Pleasure

Tools    

lol I saw a few of the kids' MC. Get the hell out of my kitchen, kids. god dayum they're talented. And we get food network here. I dont like the kids' shows, and quite frankly I dont like a lot of those either. 'Giardia' rubs me up the wrong way. those teefies are so blinding. Bobby 'Filet' I find a bit annoying like Eric in Entourage the way he speaks through his nose. A few of the others irritate me. When we first got that network here i binged it on a wet weekend. I like the Man Food Fire guy but I need ma greens, man. Watching someone eat so much meat makes me feel physically unwell, much the same as someone smoking a lot on screen. Man -v- Food makes me feel very unwell as well. I just ...I just...I just can't cope with watching that gluttony. The restaurant make over guy (english body builder. I find him so hot) I like. There was an aussie in US doing a bakery makeover. I find her a bit up herself, and as i said earlier in the baking thread, I'm just not a fan. One I cant deal with re how obviously scripted it is is the private detective in the restaurants. Give me a bloody break. They may as well have the telly prompter there for the viewer to see.

Ramsey and Jamie Oliver I like.

Adam Liaw is one of our masterchef winners. Lovely guy, and he's currently travelling through asia with his show.
I haven't even heard of a lot of those, which is probably good, I already binge watch more reality tv than I should but when I'm caught up it evens out to just a few shows a week which isn't bad.. I don't watch a lot of tv anyways, there's maybe 3-4 comedies I like and Walking Dead, and after that I'm watching movies.

The Adventure Starts Here!
We used to be huge Survivor fans, but hubby's weird, changing work schedule has made it tough to keep up in recent years. We were SUCH big fans that we were applying for the show all the time. He got a call-back to the local CBS station once, and I actually came within one phone call of getting on the Pearl Islands season. (Two women had to back out within two weeks of the show's filming start, and I got a call from the head casting director in which she interviewed me for about twenty minutes. She then said if I was chosen, I'd hear back within 24 hours. That was a harrowing 24 hours because suddenly I didn't want to go anymore! And sadly, I got that wish.)

At least hubby and I learned that we had a knack for making those application videos.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Our current guilty pleasure reality shows are mostly on the Discovery Channel and involve Alaska:

Alaska: The Last Frontier
Alaskan Bush People
Gold Rush

Other favorites seem to be on the DIY Network:

Renovation Realities
Rehab Addict

We used to be huge Survivor fans, but hubby's weird, changing work schedule has made it tough to keep up in recent years. We were SUCH big fans that we were applying for the show all the time. He got a call-back to the local CBS station once, and I actually came within one phone call of getting on the Pearl Islands season. (Two women had to back out within two weeks of the show's filming start, and I got a call from the head casting director in which she interviewed me for about twenty minutes. She then said if I was chosen, I'd hear back within 24 hours. That was a harrowing 24 hours because suddenly I didn't want to go anymore! And sadly, I got that wish.)

At least hubby and I learned that we had a knack for making those application videos.
Ahh that's a shame, I would absolutely love to be on survivor...I think they're getting a little crazy with the twists though, some of the advantages are getting just way too overpowered...

Most people watch the show for the personalities... and those change season to season, no reason to keep mutating the game too...

I have to confess I used to watch Wife Swap (which I know is as staged as everything else - which was obvious since every episode followed the same exact formula - almost as predictable as counting down the two-times-per-episode Bill Bixby would turn into the Hulk!) Now I watch re-runs of Celebrity Wife Swap!

Also, it must be designated that "Reality TV" is a relatively new genre. Shows based on reality have been around since the beginning of TV, but this new genre would more accurately be called Sensationalist TV. What should not be included are news reports, news-talk shows, late night talk (interview) shows, daytime "talk" & variety shows, educational shows, documentaries, docu-drama crime shows, instructional shows, cooking shows, travel shows, nature & science shows, classic game shows (as opposed to contest reality shows), etc.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I have to confess I used to watch Wife Swap (which I know is as staged as everything else - which was obvious since every episode followed the same exact formula - almost as predictable as counting down the two-times-per-episode Bill Bixby would turn into the Hulk!) Now I watch re-runs of Celebrity Wife Swap!

Also, it must be designated that "Reality TV" is a relatively new genre. Shows based on reality have been around since the beginning of TV, but this new genre would more accurately be called Sensationalist TV. What should not be included are news reports, news-talk shows, late night talk (interview) shows, daytime "talk" & variety shows, educational shows, documentaries, docu-drama crime shows, instructional shows, cooking shows, travel shows, nature & science shows, classic game shows (as opposed to contest reality shows), etc.
I agree with the what should not be included but I'm in a chatty mood and I'm bleepity bleeping hungry so I'm chatting to my new foodie friend here while my stomach cramps in starvation mode. Dont make me angry. I bite when I;m hungry!

Wait wait wait.....

THE HULK WAS STAGED?????

What the actual hell???

Wait wait wait.....

THE HULK WAS STAGED?????

What the actual hell???
(Obviously, I wasn't questioning the fact that the Hulk was TV fiction, but comparing its to-the-minute predictability to the formulaic aspect of certain Reality TV shows.)

Oh that show made me angry when I was a kid! I desperately wanted to see comic characters brought to life at that age and The Incredible Hulk seemed to be the answer to an adolescent comic geek's prayers. I grew to despise it because I could time down to the minute when Lou Ferrigno would show up - it was exactly two times each episode - and I believe it was something like at the 10 minute mark and again at the 45 minute mark. I got so good at timing it, I'd just turn on the TV to watch Bixby transform, then go play for a half hour, then turn it on to see the Hulk's second appearance. (sorry, just got WAY off topic!)

(Obviously, I wasn't questioning the fact that the Hulk was TV fiction, but comparing its to-the-minute predictability to the formulaic aspect of certain Reality TV shows.)

Oh that show made me angry when I was a kid! I desperately wanted to see comic characters brought to life at that age and The Incredible Hulk seemed to be the answer to an adolescent comic geek's prayers. I grew to despise it because I could time down to the minute when Lou Ferrigno would show up - it was exactly two times each episode - and I believe it was something like at the 10 minute mark and again at the 45 minute mark. I got so good at timing it, I'd just turn on the TV to watch Bixby transform, then go play for a half hour, then turn it on to see the Hulk's second appearance. (sorry, just got WAY off topic!)
Oh I know, I was kidding, we were talking about the reality tv like Hell's kitchen where they're forced to live together that branched into food talk in general cause I think we both skipped our lunches.agreed the straight up cooking shows aren't "reality tv" per se in this context, But I'd consider something with the social aspect to fall right into that category.

As for staged can anything surpass Duck Dynasty?

Is duck dynasty like turtle man?

Would you prefer if Odum and I had a new thread to talk about cooking shows? Just smack me in the bum and I'll toddle off, but before I go, 1 more for you, Odum. For your catfish. This would be great for a dinner party, especially in cold weather.
Thanks, just pm me anything else and we'll stop derailing their thread....

I think I'll start a foodie thread for mofo foodies and take my vids out of here, and then any vids or photos we share will all be together.

Sorry guys. I got over excited.

Is duck dynasty like turtle man?
It's billed as a reality show about a family in Louisiana who built a fortune making and selling duck calls... I finally watched a few episodes after all the hype, how they can even pretend it's a reality show is beyond me... it's so scripted it's not even funny and it's a laugh track away from being a sitcom. (not a good one either) really stupid show.

Thanks for the headsup. Think I'll pass.

Thanks for the headsup. Think I'll pass.
Well don't take my word for it, I'm not even pretending my tastes speak for the planet, I think they went 11 or 12 seasons so they appealed to someone.

Just calling into question the labeling of it as reality tv considering it was obviously scripted lines and scenarios.

No I'll take your word for it. The highly scripted 'reality tv shows' really irritate me. Feels like I'm being scammed.

Would you prefer if Odum and I had a new thread to talk about cooking shows? Just smack me in the bum and I'll toddle off, but before I go, 1 more for you, Odum. For your catfish. This would be great for a dinner party, especially in cold weather.
Oh, I don't care. Someone bumped this really old thread, so feel free to talk about whatever you want. (But, yeah, you might get more foodies joining in on a food-specific thread.)

I just like to discuss semantics and there's a huge difference (and sometimes a very thin line) between what is now designated "Reality TV" and what has always been many genres of non-fiction television shows.

The Hell's Kitchen (and other Gordon Ramsey shows) are a good example. None are cooking shows as they don't instruct the audience on cooking. Hell's Kitchen is an elimination contest show and Kitchen Nightmares is one of those fake drama shows. I'm merely identifying them as what they are, yet I've watched and been entertained by both at different points. (I was first drawn to Hell's Kitchen because I grew up working in a restaurant - and most Head Chefs do act like Ramsey at some point - very temperamental people.)

It's ll good, Cap. I moved them to a foodie thread and deleted. I can tend to accidentally hijack so I never mind being told to move it elsewhere. It wont make me cry, but I'm so hungry now I might have to go and kick the dog.

I love things like Top Chef, Hell's Kitchen, Face Off, Kitchen Nightmares... in fact, watching Gordon Ramsay punch fish right now on the latest HK season.

I love things like Top Chef, Hell's Kitchen, Face Off, Kitchen Nightmares... in fact, watching Gordon Ramsay punch fish right now on the latest HK season.
I've grown to like Face Off as well - it's different from a lot of contest shows because the contestants actually produce something rather than just competing in games or seeing who can lie the best by creating false alliances.

What's weird, several years back there was a show called Work of Art: The Next Great Artist, and it followed almost the same exact format as Face Off (where the contestants had to create artworks for various types of art challenges, usually culminating in a major one each episode, as the projects would be examined by a panel of judges & the "worst" artwork that week would eliminate a contestant). It only lasted for two seasons, but having been an artist myself, I wished the show had continued.