Jurassic Park 3

→ in
Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Taking the nephews to see this tonight. I'll let ya know if it's any good or not. Keep seeing some spots for it on the discovery channel and what not, the new director might be able to pull it off..MIGHT being the key word there.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
My friend downloaded this movie a while ago, you can find anything on the net if you look hard enough, and he advised me to not see it. But thats all he said. I'm seeing it tonight regardless.

I'm dissapointed. I had SUCH high hopes for this movie. I kept thinking "At last! A Jurassic Park movie that's focused on the action alone." Make no mistake, JP3 is all about the action, but the action is flawed. Below, I list the parts of the film I DID like...

SPOILERS BELOW!
  • The part where they turned around, and found the Spinosaurus staring at them, was very cool.
  • The moment you saw the Pteranadon (or whatever it was) "walking" through the mist on the bridge was almost frightening. Again, very cool.
  • The airplane crash was brutal, and well done.
Little else really comes to mind. There was no real finale. I wanted a big finale. I wanted another scene with the Spinosaurus. I mean, damn, you're gonna let us see what a bad mutha' the Spinosaurus is by having it kick the T-Rex's a**, but then we see it progressively less and less as time goes on? Man, it should've been in every other scene.

And that's another thing: what was up with the T-Rex/Spinosaurus fight? That should've been longer, and much more elaborate. I saw the value of having it early (to show us how killer this new dino is), but if you're not going to follow up on that correctly, then it'd be better at the end. What a finale that would make! A giant battle between the two.

Some complaints (more spoilers!)...
  • No bloody way they'd be able to hear the phone in the Spino's stomach.
  • When the Raptor's run away at the end, I presumed it was because the distress call Grant had made with the mold would attract the Spino, or something similar. We never see this happen though -- too much guesswork involved on the audience's part.
  • The Spino attacks the little place they're in (when it is discovered that Billy has taken the eggs), but then it just kind of goes away. Or did I miss something? I didn't see him giving up and backing off, or anything of the sort.
  • The raptor in the tube thing that Tea Leoni sees that actually turns out to be real would not have held still like that for that long.

• That phone would not work after being in the Spino's stomach.
  • The kid lived for 8 weeks? Would've been more realistic if it had been 1 or 2.
  • I couldn't hear what Grant said on the phone to Ellie. My brother and I think it was something like "the river!" -- which isn't all that helpful. Honestly, would Dr. Sattler send the military in if she heard anything less than "we're on the island! help!"?
  • The military would have blown them there flyin' dinos away at the end.
That's all I can think of, for now.

So is it a go or a no? You said you liked some of it, but does that take most of the movie up or is that just the small stuff? I'm seeing it regardless as well, I just wanted to know, NO I DON'T..I'm seein it wether its good or not

Any JP movie is worth seeing. The good scenes alone make it worth 4-5 bucks...I just think it was poorly written. CGI is as good as it's ever been, though.

Umm...I don't know if some of you people know this, but JP3 isn't directed by Steven Spielberg or however the hell you spell his name...He's the exec. producer of it. The director is Joe Johnston. o_O

Originally posted by Falafel Fart
Umm...I don't know if some of you people know this, but JP3 isn't directed by Steven Spielberg or however the hell you spell his name...He's the exec. producer of it. The director is Joe Johnston. o_O
Yeah, we've been questioning how good the third installment would be without the original director, but it's good that there's no book based on it so you're not trying to compare it to anything, and hey at least Speilberg decided to still take part in the movie.

This movie was quite underwhelming. It was the same thing as the first two, just on a larger and more redundant scale. Although, I was digging the flying dinos, and I swear, I called the ending right after I saw that the gate didn't close. It's just the setup for another sequel. I SO called it.

Anyway, uh, yeah, if you folks are into dinosaur movies and scientific mumbo jumbo, and you like to see people get torn apart and eaten and ripped open, then by all means see this movie.

One thing I will say, I liked the length. It was nice and short. Most movies like this are about a half hour too long, this one was juuuuust right.

I have to say, I wasn't expecting a great movie, but at least a movie better than this. It started off ok, got better, and then slightly better, but the ending just came out of nowhere, and was not good at all.

Small Spoilage Below

One complaint I have was that they created too many characters that they couldn't kill off. You know right off that three people are going to do, and which three. If they had killed off any more characters, the general vibe would of been a bad one. Although I wouldn't of minded if the raptor, while sniffing the mother, had just made a swift movement and bitten down into her head. That would of made me smile.

The ending came out of nowhere. It was as if they got bored of making the movie and decided to end it. Like they just ran out of ideas or something.

One thing I don't get about the plot, that is worth noting, is the length of time on the island. I was trying to do the math in my head. The landed during the day, experienced some action, and that night ended when Grant and the kid slept in the bus. Thats one night. Next thing their escaping from the spino again, they run into the raptors etc, then they have the water fight with the spino, and its night time. After that their running in the woods and reach the beach, but its sunny as crap outside!! It went from day to night instantly!! Am I forgetting something that happened?

I noticed some other things wrong with it, but eh, I won't bitch about those now.

I don't really like how every pg-13 movie today tries to throw in this humor for the whole family that really isn't that funny. When Steve clapped at the son and mother reuniting for no reason, I laughed harder than at any of the other jokes. They were lame.

I didn't HATE the movie, I enjoyed most of it, but it had soo much more potential. I should of just snuck in than pay $8.50 for it. Damn you Steve!!

***SPOILERS BELOW!!!

This was very similar to The Lost World. Some idiots decide hey why don't we see how close we can get to a restricted island. Then let's have some person that knows from experience what they dino's can do. This is even better, let's put them back on the island that The Lost World supposedly took place on. Ok, now let's unleash some new dino's that no one saw in the last two and make it a good ole flick. Stir for a few minutes, let cool, serve to audience.

This movie was basically a second helping of the Lost World, I mean it took off right where the last one left off pretty much. This time they bring in Grant, who was smart enough to not want to go back in the first place. This time a "couple" bribe him to take them over the island and show them around so to speak. He has no idea they plan on landing. Enter the Spino! Within a half hour the main dino is brought in, and kills off one of the members of the plane crew. Right after that, the plane is taken down into the trees, where the Spino rips the front off the plane and takes another life. Make no mistake, it wasn't in the first two but just like TWT said, the Spinosauras is a bad motha shut your mouth... True the T-Rex got killed off early, but there was more in the Lost World, there was two T-Rex's, a momma, and a dadda. There was a lot of gaps. Anyways, soon after the group get away from the T-rex/Spino duel to the death, they come upon nests...not just any nests...Raptor nests...ooh...idiot boy(Billy), decides to take a couple of eggs...thinkin about his kid's college funds probably(Billy is probably 25). You don't find this out until towards the end. Anyways, they come across the labs and stuff, which look nothing like what they did in Lost World, anyways, they see all of the abandoned equipment and are looking at the little tiny baby dino's when Tea Leoni's charecter comes to one with the head of a raptor..or is it..clever girl. Thus starts a weird little sqwirmish with the raptors, sportin new colors, and pretty feathers. Before I give too much of the movie away, I will say this, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I did think that it was a little weird as such things didn't exist in the Lost World(Bird Cage, Dinos, Lots of other stuff), maybe all ends well and the ptera thingy's attack San Diego!! HAHA...that would be a good ending now wouldn't it...LOL...All and all, not bad, give it a chance, and keep in mind new director, but new baddies too..

I kinda liked it. Not too much story but just enough and lots of action! It was pretty much all action.
I myself am glad Spielberg didn't do much, there weren't any stupid little kid jokes to break the mood.

SPOILERS BELOW>>>
They might have been able to hear the phone. Aren't those things waterproof? They are emergency phones right?
And dinos had primative digestive system kinda like todays cows.

Yeah, didn't he call some other kind of dino for help? What was up with that? Why didn't it come?
I think maybe it's cause that dino whistle he had was from the fossil they were digging on in the beginning of the movie.
Maybe that kind of dino didn't exist on the island.

The raptor in the tube was pretty cool tho.

What I didn't like.
Billy lived, that's bull. He's dead don't give me that happy ending crap.
Dino fight was too short.
Pteradons don't fly that way, they don't have tails for stability.
Tea Leone's clothes didn't get ripped.
Dino's didn't eat what they killed, they just killed to kill. Wtf?
Every time they showed an open field with all the herbivore dinos frollicing happily I felt like singing Circle of Life.

I did like the movie tho.

JP4...Proto humans! Hey they are evolving at a really fast pace right? So next comes mammals and then proto humans! Yeah!
What if proto humans evolved. Would we kill them? Could we? Should we? What if they spread to South America? What if they were cannibals.
Would we put them in jail or kill them?

Horrible movie. I don't know why they bothered. Remember the first time you saw the scene in the first one, when the TREX breaks out of the fence and attacks the jeeps. That's one of the most intense scenes I've ever seen. Back then the effects were so groundbreaking and effective, you believed you were looking at dinosaurs. They seemed like these awesome wild creatures. You never new what they were going to do, and it was genuinely frightening.

In JP3 I never felt like I was looking at Dinosaurs. I was just looking at effects. I didn't feel one bit of tension through the entire movie. I realize even in the first one the characters and dialogue were paper thin, but it still delivered. This one had nothing!

And of course people will say JP1 was the groundbreaker and now these effects are everywhere so of course the effects don't have the same impact now, but come on. Give me at least one actual scare or moment of awe or something for my money. Even in the second one which also sucked had a few Spielburgian moments of tension. The glass slowly breaking under Julianne Moore. This one had no redeeming features at all.

I never understand how a filmaker spends like two years of his life on a film, slaving over it for so long, and then when he finally see's the completed version, and it's something like JP3, he thinks "Yes! This my movie!" How can he look at something so devoid of pace, character, excitement and be proud?? It's summer time, I don't need the next Citizen Kane, but gimmie an action flick with something! Anything! (Planet of the Apes seems to be the last hope for this summer)

You're problem is you're basing it too much on the last two movies. Granted, JP3 pokes fun at even throws in items from the last two(Lucky Packs, and other things). It's a movie that has suffered the pain of being connected to a bad movie(Lost World). You're wanting to base everything on the fact that this is a sequel to a sequel, this movie doesn't even mention the second movie, if it does it's not something noticeable.

Some of the dinos in this were new to the whole series. Like for instance the one towards the end when they're diggin in crap for the phone, what was that??? Looks familiar though, looks like a Carnator off of Dinosaur.

Long story short, they should of called it Craptastic Park, and skipped the options of having it relate to the last two movies.

All in all, not a bad movie, kids'll love it, not hardly any bloodshed(noticeable), Which is what keeps the JP movies family oriented, without being too graphic. Plus it's got a lot of new dino's(it's like they raided the computer's at disney and stole the whole Dinosaur movie.

Worth a peek if you don't have habits of disecting every scene down. Effects are spectacular, yes they are not the same as the JP just for the fact that everything is and has been done before and they make it more like a Sunday stroll through the park, no pun intended. They do look more real than they did in JP just for the fact that technology is far better now, than what it was back in the early 1990's.

I would give it a rating of 2 stars which would be a C. Just for the fact that the story lags in parts, and leaves doors open for everything. The Spino can swim, so what's to stop it from leaving the island? Anyways, go see it or don't. All in all, far better than Lost World!

If you ever played the old school video game "Primal Rage", then I think you'll agree with me that the random dinousaur in the dung scene was an exact replica of "Diablo" in that game. It was exact!

Yeah that's what it was! Diablo!
SPOILER BELOW
Oh, I just watched it again and the phone wasn't waterproof. It went dead when they went in the river. You werwn't tense when they went in the river in a heavy metal cage? What if it would have landed door side down? They would have all drowned in there if it was deeper. I don't know, I was jumpy through the whole thing. But I wasn't trying to disect the movie or compare it to anything. The plot had problems in some parts but the effects and scariness of it brought it up a grade.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
Argh! Why is everyone ripping on The Lost World? It was better than JP3, and had plenty of tension in it. Ya'll are crazy.
Lost World better than JP3???? Come on Chris, I'd say there about the same if you want to make it sound any better. Lost World better!?!? Not by far.

I'm serious man. The Lost World had a decent flow to it...JP3 felt totally sloppy, and the ending was terrible. The first was the best (no doubt about that), but I honestly don't see why everyone seems to hate The Lost World.

Ok, So maybe Lost World is a little better, but not by much. I watched it yesterday and I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but the Rex's signature roar seems to dissapear after JP...I mean you hear it once in Lost World, but that's it.

Rock God
i just saw this movie today, and i thought it was pretty good despite a couple really big plot holes...
*SPOILER ALERT*

i thought the most ridiculous, absolutely unbelievable thing about the whole movie is how they attempted to make the raptors smarter than they have been. they're running out of ways to create tension with a dinosaur movie, so i'm guessing in the next sequel, they will have the raptors using their own written language and using homemade rocket launchers. the line "they're smarter than dolphins... they're smarter than primates..." actually made me laugh out loud. how smart could they get? we've already established they're dinosaurs and they eat people, that's pretty much all there is to say. also, the thing about the cell phone in the dinosaur's stomach was dumb. my brother said "yeah, he also ate a megaphone". how loud could the thing have been? there are a few more times you'll say to yourself "geez, they're pulling this stuff out of their asses" i'm sure. but what the film does have is the element of suspense and really, really good action sequences. it probably wouldn't stand up well to repeat viewings, but this is the type of thing you would see in the theater just for the thrills of it. oh, yeah, apparently the InGen company did some cloning of dinosaurs that they "kept off the books" or something, which explains the new dinos that pop up in the movie. another thing i didn't like was the crappy characters. these characters are just cardboard cutouts, and you never even understand their personality or get to develop any sort of attatchment to them before they're put in this life threatening situation. i never really cared if any of them got eaten. and the kid should have died right off. i mean, he's twelve. their are twelve year olds that would get lost in the mall. i think it's stupid he survived on dinousaur island for eight weeks by himself. in reality, he would have pissed himself and layed down and cried himself to sleep and then gotten killed during the night, but whatever. i really hope no ones going to this movie because they are expecting a really, deep plot and characters that draw you in. it's not great, but it's a very good summer movie, so see a matinee. it's fun.